Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Kersch posted:

Try a translated rom of Der Langrisser for the SNES. It has branching classes for all of your playable characters and branching story paths that go in 3 or 4 different directions. Its a strategy RPG where you control strong generals that are surrounded by lumps of soldiers that are buffed if they stay near you. If you ever played Warsong on the Genesis, this is actually Warsong 2.

I've never played Warsong, but this sounds really interesting. I'll start looking into it asap. Thanks!

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Any chance you can fix your 360 to play Dragon Age: Origins? I'm in the same boat, can't finish RPGs anymore, they don't hold my attention, but DAO was so well presented and paced that I got lost in it. The plot isn't as silly as most jPRGs, there's a fair amount of class customization that's possible too.

I've actually really wanted to try Dragon Age. In the next week or two I'm planning on getting the 360 up and running again so I'll pick up a copy then.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
I'd like to know if there's anything out there for me nowadays! My favourite RPG ever was Exit Fate and I like SRPG too(i.e. Vanguard Bandits but nothing braindead like Disgaea) and anime dungeon crawlers (but nothing like Etrian Odyssey where the entire game's difficulty depends on the player not breaking the game). The game should be challenging! Unlike in the FFT(A) series, I want to be able to not win a battle sometimes.

Also the game must be for the PC!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DA:O dude:
The steam summer sale is (probably) close and last sale DA:O complete edition was around 15bucks, so if you have a capable PC that might be a cheap options soon.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

heiden posted:

I'd like to know if there's anything out there for me nowadays! My favourite RPG ever was Exit Fate and I like SRPG too(i.e. Vanguard Bandits but nothing braindead like Disgaea) and anime dungeon crawlers (but nothing like Etrian Odyssey where the entire game's difficulty depends on the player not breaking the game). The game should be challenging! Unlike in the FFT(A) series, I want to be able to not win a battle sometimes.

Try out Wesnoth http://www.wesnoth.org/

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

heiden posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 is easily one of the best SRPGs on the PC, and it's on sale for $5 this weekend at GOG. Definitely pick up the 1.13 fan mod as well, and turn off the Drassen counterattack in the .ini editor.

As far as regular PC RPG's go, I would say my favorite is Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Recettear is also worth checking out if you like variety and 2D action RPG dungeon crawling action.

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 11, 2011

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Lone Rogue posted:

I paid $40 for it used.

gently caress.

Oh well.
I paid that for a copy when it came out.

Worth every loving penny.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

monkeyboydc posted:

I've never played Warsong, but this sounds really interesting. I'll start looking into it asap. Thanks!

You should play Warsong! It had some of the best music on the Genesis and it's hard as heck...like a prototype of Fire Emblem.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
So what's the consensus on Blue Dragon? I've been playing nothing but old PSX/PS2 RPGs and I need something current gen and cheap.

Whack fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 12, 2011

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

So what's the consensus on Blue Dragon? I've been playing nothing but old PSX/PS2 RPGs and I need something current gen and cheap.

You should play it just so you can fight a boss to this.

(Disclaimer: That song is the only thing I know about the game.)

Tovarisch Rafa
Nov 4, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I enjoyed Castlevania SOTN immensely, and am one of the lucky few who happened to buy the game when it first came out.

What games would people recommend that offer a similar experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tovarisch Rafa posted:

I enjoyed Castlevania SOTN immensely, and am one of the lucky few who happened to buy the game when it first came out.

What games would people recommend that offer a similar experience.

All of the other Castlevanias post SOTN pretty much. The best ones are probably Dawn of Sorrow (DS), Portrait of Ruin (DS), and Aria of Sorrow (GBA).

You might also want to try Shadow Complex for XBLA.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

PlasticPaddy posted:

It's pretty good, definitely worth what it's going for these days. Sorta easy except for the optional super-bosses though (even the regular optional bosses are pretty easy, except that loving tree :argh:).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

All of the other Castlevanias post SOTN pretty much. The best ones are probably Dawn of Sorrow (DS), Portrait of Ruin (DS), and Aria of Sorrow (GBA).

You might also want to try Shadow Complex for XBLA.
Also maybe try the GBA Metroid games.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Barudak posted:

All of the other Castlevanias post SOTN pretty much.

I never played the SNES ones, but I've seen some LP's, but don't they the same mechanics?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

casual poster posted:

I never played the SNES ones, but I've seen some LP's, but don't they the same mechanics?

No. The only SNES Castlevanias I'm aware of are more like the original than SotN. I'll second the recommendations for Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow, but play them in order. Aria, then Dawn.

If you want an SNES game with the same exploration aspect, go for Super Metroid.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Anyone who actually suffered through Last Rebellion mind giving a quick summary of why it's considered one of the worst RPGs ever? I'm curious about how a current gen game (E: that is not Black Sigil) can be on the same level of terrible as Drakkhen or Secret of the Stars.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Edit:

Whoops, sorry, I'm an idiot.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 12, 2011

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

nessin posted:

*Last Remnamt stuff*

You're talking about Last Remnant, which is a fuckin awesome game, he's talking about Last Rebellion which is indeed so bad that even the publisher said they were sorry.

this (bad game)

not this (great game)

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 12, 2011

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Tonfa posted:

Anyone who actually suffered through Last Rebellion mind giving a quick summary of why it's considered one of the worst RPGs ever? I'm curious about how a current gen game (E: that is not Black Sigil) can be on the same level of terrible as Drakkhen or Secret of the Stars.

Imagine a game billed as "current gen" with basically last-gen graphics, unfathomable characters and bad, unfun design all over the place. It is entirely possible to make a Truly Bad Game in this day and age.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
On the japanese boards, it's most (in)famous for "raise your level and use brute force" as the standard strategy guide answer to any problem. Basically there's a complex system of magical resistances and whatnot but the growth rate from just a single level up is so massive that it renders any sort of strategizing or tricksy tricks meaningless.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PlasticPaddy posted:

Blue Dragon loving owns.

Oldish style of RPG, with autosaves before any bosses, with visible enemies (no random battles), great graphics, great audio, a so-so story, and fun turn based combat.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Don't forget the best/worst boss fight music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Aside from the incredibly bad and dull characters, VAs that have no idea what they're doing, and the terrible, terrible graphics, it's really all about the battle system. The battle system is the most painfully boring piece of poo poo ever put to disc.

Basically, you can attack the limbs of enemies, and attacking them in the correct order means you do more damage, and it means you can cast spells consecutively for longer periods of time as well. However, the thing is, you have absolutely no idea in what order you're supposed to hit the limbs, and so it all comes down to trial and error to maximize damage. Add to that you have a terrible AP system you'd think was done by Compile Heart (Regen 3 or so per turn), and you have an absolutely abysmal game. It doesn't help that just the intro battle takes forever and a day to complete due to the slow, plodding, boring rear end battle mechanics.

This game is so bad, it makes Cross Edge look good. And that's insult enough.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So what you're saying is someone saw the battle system that helped tank the Xenosaga series in episode 2 and went "We want that, but a little worse"? Am I getting this right?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

So what you're saying is someone saw the battle system that helped tank the Xenosaga series in episode 2 and went "We want that, but a little worse"? Am I getting this right?

No, it's far worse than that. At least that gave you tips to hitting weakpoints and so on, and I think there were only about four or so hits you had to get right in that. In Last Rebellion, you need to get eight right in a row. And each enemy has a different attack order, even those of the same type. XSII's battle system is a godsend compared to this.

The AP system is really a lot like that in Cross Edge (I can't think of any other comparison), whereby you slowly regain AP, and you need AP for all your physicals. Only in Last Rebellion is attacking the enemy's left ear before attacking their right leg the key to victory.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

U.T. Raptor posted:

I paid that for a copy when it came out.

Worth every loving penny.

I'm so far at where I was turned to stone for like a decade and now my kids, who I named Crono and Marle are now in my party but forcing me to grind in easy places so they won't immediately die.

I'd say it's so far worth $38 of the $40 I've spent so I'm sure by the end of it (and I doubt I'm close) it'll be more than worth the cost. What's interesting is whoever played it prior to me had 40 hours logged in the game with his character only at Level 20. I think they got addicted to gambling...

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My copy of Dragon Quest V is coming today! :dance: I know it's the middle game in a trilogy consisting of IV, V and VI but I haven't played any of 'em yet. Do I need any backstory filled in before I play?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HondaCivet posted:

My copy of Dragon Quest V is coming today! :dance: I know it's the middle game in a trilogy consisting of IV, V and VI but I haven't played any of 'em yet. Do I need any backstory filled in before I play?

Slimes are adorable and you will deal with them everywhere.

That's all the backstory you need! (IV-VI are their own trilogy, so no, that's a fresh start.)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
When you start 5, on the ship, you need to talk to EVERYBODY before the story progresses. I would of been on that drat boat forever if I hadn't read a few tips first.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

casual poster posted:

When you start 5, on the ship, you need to talk to EVERYBODY before the story progresses. I would of been on that drat boat forever if I hadn't read a few tips first.

That's pretty much standard fare in almost any RPG, though. If you're one a boat, step 1 is talk to everybody.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just finished my first play through of Baldurs Gate 2. Thought it was a blast and considered playing it through again but am wondering what else is out there that is similar? Looked a the Neverwinter nights games but reviews seem lackluster. Also I know Planescape Torment is considered very good but I have also heard it is mostly a cakewalk and I am not looking for something that is going to make me want to punch my monitor but a challenge would be nice (for reference I though BG2 was fairly challenging). Anyway more of the same basically, A big world with tons of quests and a million diffrent character types to play as. Any help is appreciated.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Axetrain posted:

Just finished my first play through of Baldurs Gate 2. Thought it was a blast and considered playing it through again but am wondering what else is out there that is similar? Looked a the Neverwinter nights games but reviews seem lackluster. Also I know Planescape Torment is considered very good but I have also heard it is mostly a cakewalk and I am not looking for something that is going to make me want to punch my monitor but a challenge would be nice (for reference I though BG2 was fairly challenging). Anyway more of the same basically, A big world with tons of quests and a million diffrent character types to play as. Any help is appreciated.

PST isn't "easy", necessarily... but if you're playing it for the combat, you might as well not play it at all. Play it for the story and the characters, and have a good time. There's a reason people still get all hot and bothered by it all these years later.

NWN2 is pretty decent if you get the expansions with it (NWN2: Platinum is like $20 on Steam, a pretty good deal), I can't say anything for the first as I've never played it.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

amaranthine posted:

NWN2 is pretty decent if you get the expansions with it (NWN2: Platinum is like $20 on Steam, a pretty good deal), I can't say anything for the first as I've never played it.

Since we're on the subject of NWN2, I have always had the hardest time dealing with spirit hunger in MotB. Is there any advice relating to that system anyone can give? I would prefer to not "give in" to the hunger, but it feels very difficult to manage that.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Axetrain posted:

You didn't play through the entirety of the original BG then use the same character through BG2? Welp, you did it wrong, do it again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooManyUzukis posted:

Since we're on the subject of NWN2, I have always had the hardest time dealing with spirit hunger in MotB. Is there any advice relating to that system anyone can give? I would prefer to not "give in" to the hunger, but it feels very difficult to manage that.
I've never played, but I heard there was a "supress it" thing you could do which got more effective the more you used it?

TheExodu5
Jun 14, 2011
As someone who often misses the charm and structure of old SNES and PS1 titles, I have been pleasantly surprised by Radiant Historia. It features one of the most interesting turn based battle systems I've seen, and has a pretty incredible (though rather short) soundtrack. I'm just through a bit of chapter 1, but it's looking to be one of the JRPG highlights on the DS.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TooManyUzukis posted:

You can either just turn off the Spirit Meter (there's a console command that does it), or, if you want to play legit, follow these easy steps:

1) Go to Koveya Kurgannis (the big spooky ruined temple with a massive dock).
2) Find the group of Telthor stationed there.
3) Use Suppress.
4) Rest.
5) Repeat 2-5.

The number of Telthor there (at least with Okku hanging around) is enough to make your Spirit Meter go down more than the amount it goes up when you rest, assuming a low-enough craving. Repeat this enough and you'll hit almost no craving and a filled meter in no time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

THS posted:

You didn't play through the entirety of the original BG then use the same character through BG2? Welp, you did it wrong, do it again.

Baldur's Gate 1 is an objectively bad game, though. :colbert: I will not be persuaded otherwise. It was Bioware's first RPG, and it showed in so many ways. BG2 is infinitely better and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

SpaceDrake posted:

and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1

unless they gather their party first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SpaceDrake posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is an objectively bad game, though. :colbert: I will not be persuaded otherwise. It was Bioware's first RPG, and it showed in so many ways. BG2 is infinitely better and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1.

BG1 is.. charming. It's an overambitious effort by talented people and has a lot to offer once you're past the Nashkel Mines. Also the exploration of the grid map is a fun nonlinear adventure before you reach Baldur's Gate proper.

TEAYCHES fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 14, 2011