Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wired has a nice little photo-essay on the Caspian Sea Monster. I had no idea the bastard weighed 380 tons!

also, (nerd alert) I made my dad a model BaE-146. I don't remember the specifics, but I was talking to him and learned he really liked that particular airliner.

Building the model I realized that the 146 has the exact same profile as an Il-76.

News: A BaE-146 is considerably smaller then an An-124

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I loved the 146. It was always fun when you come in for a landing with people that never flew on one before. When the flaps went down it let out a really unique howling noise that made those people go "WTF was that?" :confused:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

angryhampster posted:

This may be a better question for GAMES, but when the hell is the PC gaming community going to get another flight sim? FSX came out five years ago.

Just want to say how annoyed I am at the state of PC Flight simulation in general. When I was a kid there were literally dozens of flight sims on the market (some good, some bad) running on barebones PC's without video cards. Now that we've reached the stage where you can have photo-realistic scenery pulled from actual satellite data from around the world as well as things like realistically modeled physics there's essentially no sims on the market. X-Plane seems cool, but it really sucks that there's not a modern version of some of the Jane's sims or something.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just want to say how annoyed I am at the state of PC Flight simulation in general. When I was a kid there were literally dozens of flight sims on the market (some good, some bad) running on barebones PC's without video cards. Now that we've reached the stage where you can have photo-realistic scenery pulled from actual satellite data from around the world as well as things like realistically modeled physics there's essentially no sims on the market. X-Plane seems cool, but it really sucks that there's not a modern version of some of the Jane's sims or something.

Agreed. I bought Sierra Pro Pilot for $10 to run on our Compaq machine when I was a kid. It was a reasonably good sim and ran great on a basic computer. Janes USAF was absolutely incredible.

I've never really been impressed with anything since those two. FSX is massive and realistic, but it's sluggish even on today's computers.

I will most definitely have to make my next processor/GPU upgrade coincide with the release of Flight. It has the potential to be seriously game-changing, especially with online play.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Janes sims, while tons of fun, straddled the line of "lite" genre and "study" (hardcore) sims... generally, with a couple of exceptions more on the lite side. To be fair though, at the time it would be hard to be as complex as we can now.

I loved me some Longbow 2 though. That's what introduced me to the glory of 3Dfx in a sim. :3:

If gorgeous graphics and hardcore replication of dials, switches and doo-dads float your boat, be sure to check out DCS sims @ http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com

While I don't have the new A10 sim it's supposed to be incredible. Here is a vid of starting it up in the sim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSIGzDMJ-ik

Edit: Trailer of the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjBCrMnxV8

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 12, 2011

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

There's a Flight sim thread in games :ssh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368954

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slight hijack, I doubt it'll derail for long. :)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Over land, I believe it is the largest. It's rare that the entire complex is active though. Over the Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf there are larger military airspace complexes.

The PARC up in Alaska is larger in size, but I'm pretty sure that most of that airspace is a MOA, not restricted.

MrChips posted:

FOD means foreign object damage, but it can also be used to describe any object that can cause foreign object damage. If you're too :spergin: to handle that, Airliners.net will welcome you with open arms.

When it's referring to the object, I've heard it described as "foreign object debris." It's used pretty interchangeably as both a verb ("We fodded (foreign object damage'd) out that engine when we hit those birds") and a noun ("That loose bolt is potential FOD (foreign object debris), pick it up.")

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Forgot about this thread when I posted these in TFR earlier, but some of it might fit here. Took these at the airshow out at Ellsworth a week or two ago (click the pictures for bigger ones).

First up is an Fj-4 Sea Fury, last one of it's kind flying in the world. Seen here not flying.

It flew great though. Brought a few friends along with it to play too.
First up is a MiG-15 and a MiG-17 flying towards it.

Then the 3 of them flying together .

There's an L-39 doing a low pass, and that's a T-33 parked on the tarmac next to the F4-j and MiGs.

Then there was this on the predator drone.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I hope the tiger stripe prop covers are standard issue.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Keep blades warm...

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I work with the main RPAs in use right now, and can answer some questions if y'all'd like.

Wezz
May 7, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Ignore the shockingly bad Australian news coverage but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTNMcs4-29Y

That pilot was one of my instructors at the raaf bfts... didnt know about this at the time though.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Noo. B-17 crashed.
http://www.suntimes.com/5936097-417/world-war-ii-plane-makes-crash-landing-near-oswego.html

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
And a Goodyear Blimp, too!

It wasn't one of the iconic blimps, mind you. It was a smaller one rented by Goodyear in Germany. It crashed while attempting to land, apparently. Three journalists on board jumped to their safety from low altitude, but the pilot died.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

NO - this was the one i flew on a few months ago! im really sad, but im glad to hear that everyone was ok.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
wow, my buddy lives only a few miles from there. He's been informed, maybe we'll get pictures. Sad though that anything classic like that should crash.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Saw that on CNN or HLN, one or the other, I stopped what I was doing (talking to coworkers midsentence) and just stared at the screen. That really really sucks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They just got done restoring that not too long ago, that's such a damned shame.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
It's surreal to see color photos of firefighters wearing modern equipment next to a crashed B-17. Actually it's surreal to see fire crew of any kind in the photo.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

parrhesia posted:

OH THE HUMANITY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

poo poo, I was really hoping for the opposite of these pictures. :( That doesn't look salvageable to my ignorant eyes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The sad thing is that he landed it just fine, they just couldn't put the fire out in time to save it it seems.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

The sad thing is that he landed it just fine, they just couldn't put the fire out in time to save it it seems.

Oh my god. :( How many B-17s are still flight worthy today?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think they said on the news around 20 or something. It wasn't many

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Got some more pictures from the air show I went to processed here. Click for original size.

B-2 Stealth Bomber, I was pretty surprised how close they let us get. I remember last time they brought one in they kept it parked practically on the runway.

TC-135, if I remember right.

A cruise missile of some kind.

B-1 panorama.

B-25 and a TBF Avenger, I believe.

Front shot of the B-25

Another shot of the Avenger with the Mig-17 in the background.

They were cool planes, ok?

Those L-39's like flying low.

Seriously. Made it hard to see at times they were so low.

And flying in formation. While low (taking off now, but they did a lot of great low level formation flying). Some good footage of their stuff here, my favorite is probably about 7 minutes in when the solo jet does a slow barrel roll around the diamond flight. Really good for an all civilian team (of mostly retired military pilots). Video didn't seem to do justice to how low they were going when I saw them.

C-31s' are weird looking. In a good way.

Big shot of the B-1's bomb bay. One of them, at least, with a rotary launcher mounted.

Even the Coast Guard showed up, in the middle of South Dakota that's not something you see every day. Dwarfed by the Galaxy though.

To be fair the Galaxy dwarfed everything.

The C-17 had it beat for shear amount of... stuff sticking out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RC-135 :)

Awesome pics. I like the panoramic photos.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Mr. Despair posted:

that is absolutely heartbreaking. this makes me so sad. one of the guys that travels with the plane told me that for a lot of these guys its their livelyhood, the $400+ ticket was just enough for them to break even, the gift shop was their only source of income. i feel so bad for these guys. when i told my girlfriend she got teary eyed.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
One of my friends who works up near MIA got a shot of this private plane:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I saw Air Force One doing touch & goes in Norfolk once, which was pretty wild. Not something you see every day! Though, I guess it wouldn't technically be "Air Force One" without the president on board, would it?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Maybe they were just going around. Again and again and again.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

You sure it wasn't an E-4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4

I see them all the time doing stuff at wright/patt. Looks a lot like Air Force One from the ground.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SwimNurd posted:

You sure it wasn't an E-4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-4

I see them all the time doing stuff at wright/patt. Looks a lot like Air Force One from the ground.

We've known it would be the real Air Force One for a week or so, including that I shouldn't bother driving tonight or tomorrow morning:

quote:

Obama arrived to MIA about 5 p.m. He and his White House entourage are attending three fundraisers during the evening in Miami Beach, downtown Miami and Coconut Grove.

[…]

Tuesday morning may also present some traffic headaches because Obama is staying overnight in Miami before traveling to Puerto Rico. He is scheduled to depart from Miami International Airport on Air Force One at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.
It's actually kind of tempting to go down to where I saw the A380 on Friday, but working late and sleeping in is probably what's going to happen.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Sorry I should have quoted. I mean grover's post.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SwimNurd posted:

Sorry I should have quoted. I mean grover's post.
No, it had the blue swish, and was clearly one of the Air Force One aircraft. We all thought it was Obama landing at the Naval Air Station to do a photo op on a carrier/see the troops/etc and we'd hear about the wave-off on the news, but pretty quickly recognized it as touch 'n goes. Even the best pilots need to keep up on their quals. Not sure why Air Force One was doing it at a Navy base instead of Andrews or Langley, but might have just been timing.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 14, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah. it was the real Air Force One, there was a TFR out for it when I was checking last night. I was wondering what the hell he would be doing in Miami.. thanks for the pics and info.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

grover posted:

Though, I guess it wouldn't technically be "Air Force One" without the president on board, would it?

It would be SAM 28000 or 29000 depending on which of the two it was. Those are the airframe's tail numbers. El Presedente puts a foot on board and they become AF One.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

No, it had the blue swish, and was clearly one of the Air Force One aircraft. We all thought it was Obama landing at the Naval Air Station to do a photo op on a carrier/see the troops/etc and we'd hear about the wave-off on the news, but pretty quickly recognized it as touch 'n goes. Even the best pilots need to keep up on their quals. Not sure why Air Force One was doing it at a Navy base instead of Andrews or Langley, but might have just been timing.

Off-station transition training is pretty common. They probably don't do much at Langley, since that base doesn't have much in the way of support equipment for larger jets, in case it breaks. They had to truck in a bunch of poo poo from Norfolk when an E-3 pulled a high-speed abort and fused the brakes, blocking the runway (this was a few years ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

grover posted:

I saw Air Force One doing touch & goes in Norfolk once, which was pretty wild. Not something you see every day! Though, I guess it wouldn't technically be "Air Force One" without the president on board, would it?

Norfolk proper or over at Oceana? Speaking of which I'll be headed out that way second or third week of July and should have some down time. Beers anyone?