Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

traveling midget posted:

I bought my father in law a Nexus S in-store and they wouldn't transfer his contacts because his phone was like 8 years old and they didnt have the data cable gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat :frogsiren:

His fault for having a really old phone and not upgrading earlier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hate to break up whatever's going on over here, but it sounds like the iphone on sprint rumors have been kicking into high gear lately http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20070879-233/rumor-apple-doing-advanced-testing-for-sprint-iphone/?tag=cnetRiver

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ShowTime posted:

How does a phone sold 8 years ago even work anymore?
"Just does" as long as the battery still takes a charge.

ShowTime posted:

I thought, like, everything had changed so much that things we were using 8 years ago don't even work with current technology.
Not really, the current voice protocol (CDMA2000) was deployed in the early 00s and hasn't changed. Plus, it should be backwards compatible with cdmaOne, in which case any Sprint PCS handsets should still work, although those predate my experience.

The big shakeup was the decomissioning of Verzion's and AT&T's respective AMPS services in 2008, portions of which had been in deployment since 1983.

Anecdotally, my mother has been using the same Motorola candybar phone on Verizon since 2003 I believe. She has absolutely no desire to switch either, she can't stand those "new flip phones."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

traveling midget posted:

8 years is definitely an exaggeration but it was a Verizon flip-phone with a stamp-sized LCD on the outside and a traditional 1-9 keypad.

except older.

I still have this phone in a drawer some where. It's still probably my favorite phone that I've had. Front screen music controls and caller ID were the shizzle back in the day.

EDIT: Getting back to last page's (or page before last) discussion about a notification light on the Evo 3D, I assumed it was on the left of the speaker, but if you check out this video starting at about the two minute mark (Although really visible at about 2:41) there is a notification light blinking that is in the middle of the speaker.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 13, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

spidoman posted:

I still have this phone in a drawer some where. It's still probably my favorite phone that I've had. Front screen music controls and caller ID were the shizzle back in the day.

EDIT: Getting back to last page's (or page before last) discussion about a notification light on the Evo 3D, I assumed it was on the left of the speaker, but if you check out this video starting at about the two minute mark (Although really visible at about 2:41) there is a notification light blinking that is in the middle of the speaker.

Sounds about right, since the E4G has its two notification LEDs hidden in the earpiece grill too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShowTime posted:

How does a phone sold 8 years ago even work anymore? I thought, like, everything had changed so much that things we were using 8 years ago don't even work with current technology.

8 years ago now is 2003. There's certainly cellular devices from then that still work today - OnStar, as an example. Pre-'03 OnStar utilizes old analog service so it's completely non-functional, but as far as I know, there's no service-level reason an OnStar-equipped car from '03 can't work today.

Now as far as being able to keep a daily-carried cellular phone in workable condition that long? That's impressive.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

hotsauce, I don't even understand why you'd speak with a Sprint retail store person about company policies about tethering and such. Obviously free tethering nowadays is done unofficially without official carrier sanctioning.

IOwnCalculus posted:

8 years ago now is 2003. There's certainly cellular devices from then that still work today
Now as far as being able to keep a daily-carried cellular phone in workable condition that long? That's impressive.
I now have a new goal. Keeping my Touch Pro2 through the year 2018. :v:

td4guy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 14, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

td4guy posted:

I now have a new goal. Keeping my Touch Pro2 through the year 2018. :v:

I salute you.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
So I am currently eligible for a full upgrade, but I'm having issues figuring out what phone/plan upgrade I should go for.

One thing I am wary of is that I currently have Everything Messaging (individual), which said $49.99 but actually comes out to $63.00 a month because of some stupid fees. I know the OP mentioned fees but they all seemed a bit higher than ~$10, and I'd like to know if there was a way of gauging what my monthly bill will ACTUALLY be when I upgrade?

I am looking for a smartphone, perhaps with a physical keyboard. I currently don't even have a touch phone, so this is a big step. I'd like an Android phone (I'm into software development), but I'm not sure on the plans/internet packages(?) I would need. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've read over the OP, but a lot of it is gibberish to me. Seems like I would go with Everything Data: $69.99 + $10 for smart phone = $80, but with a mystery amount of an extra monthly fee? Yarg.

discount dogs fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 14, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Contemplating Jazz posted:

So I am currently eligible for a full upgrade, but I'm having issues figuring out what phone/plan upgrade I should go for.

One thing I am wary of is that I currently have Everything Messaging (individual), which said $49.99 but actually comes out to $63.00 a month because of some stupid fees. I know the OP mentioned fees but they all seemed a bit higher than ~$10, and I'd like to know if there was a way of gauging what my monthly bill will ACTUALLY be when I upgrade?

I am looking for a smartphone, perhaps with a physical keyboard. I currently don't even have a touch phone, so this is a big step. I'd like an Android phone (I'm into software development), but I'm not sure on the plans/internet packages(?) I would need. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've read over the OP, but a lot of it is gibberish to me. Seems like I would go with Everything Data: $69.99 + $10 for smart phone = $80, but with a mystery amount of an extra monthly fee? Yarg.

It depends on local taxes and fees. If you give an area/major city and the pre-tax price, someone should be able to tell you what they're paying if they're also in that area. Any time I've asked, it doesn't seem like the reps can look that up, but that may have changed.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks. Luckily if its normally bout $10 around here its not too bad. And about the EPRP-- is this not available in conjunction with any existing upgrades? Clicking on the link in the OP and going to the store does not show any of my sprint account information, etc.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
Im pretty much set on upgrading with an Evo 3D and just finding a used Evo 4G for my 2nd line. Might as well get 2 4g phones if my bill goes up $10.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

Im pretty much set on upgrading with an Evo 3D and just finding a used Evo 4G for my 2nd line. Might as well get 2 4g phones if my bill goes up $10.

$10 per smartphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Contemplating Jazz posted:

Thanks. Luckily if its normally bout $10 around here its not too bad. And about the EPRP-- is this not available in conjunction with any existing upgrades? Clicking on the link in the OP and going to the store does not show any of my sprint account information, etc.

You can't get eprp. Let us know where you work, you may get a discount through there. Worst case get AAA roadside assistance for $66 for one year, 10% off your sprint bill for life.

You would have to go $69+$10+fees. Fees are on all cell phone carriers, they all suck in the end. Phone wise I personally think the evo shift is a great first smartphone, but it will be obsoleted a decent bit since a lot of newer phones will have better hardware. Spending an extra $50 for the Evo 3D on June 24th is worth it. Regardless of how much you think will use it, same monthly fees for 2 years, get the latest and greatest for $50 more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

traveling midget posted:

8 years is definitely an exaggeration but it was a Verizon flip-phone with a stamp-sized LCD on the outside and a traditional 1-9 keypad.

except older.

I had that model also, and probably still would if I was still on Verizon.
Only reason you wouldn't be able to use an old phone is if it did not have the E911 location ability and you try to activate new service with it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tatsujin posted:

I'll have an EVO 4G for sale when the EVO 3D comes out. PM me if you're interested in buying mine.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just realized that it's really sad that my phone's going to have an hdmi port when my computer doesn't even have one :smith:

Also I can't wait to ditch this stupid rant, who ever thought that a 2.5 mm headphone jack was a good idea?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Wirefly is currently doing pre-orders for the EVO 3D for only $150. I tried to order as an existing customer but it's making me choose one of a few different plans. I have a plan with corporate discount so I just want to buy the phone and use my upgrade discount. Anyone know if this is possible?

http://www.wirefly.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=26987_2eb87fa622b4433ab27fe8314b9c11b4

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

change my name posted:

I just realized that it's really sad that my phone's going to have an hdmi port when my computer doesn't even have one :smith:

Also I can't wait to ditch this stupid rant, who ever thought that a 2.5 mm headphone jack was a good idea?

Your computer doesn't have a DVI port?

Any video card in the last 6 years should have one I would think.

Just use a converter.

However it is video only. Unless you have an ATI card from the last few years, then they have been putting audio down it too.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Wirefly is currently doing pre-orders for the EVO 3D for only $150. I tried to order as an existing customer but it's making me choose one of a few different plans. I have a plan with corporate discount so I just want to buy the phone and use my upgrade discount. Anyone know if this is possible?

http://www.wirefly.com/eCommerce/SpecialOffer.aspx?cid=26987_2eb87fa622b4433ab27fe8314b9c11b4

Similar question here, is buying mine on Amazon going to make it so my work discount gets wiped out (and takes another like 3 months to get put back on.)

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

spidoman posted:

Similar question here, is buying mine on Amazon going to make it so my work discount gets wiped out (and takes another like 3 months to get put back on.)

It shouldn't I upgraded online through Radioshack in December and no changes were made to my plan or discount.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Duckman2008 posted:

You can't get eprp. Let us know where you work, you may get a discount through there. Worst case get AAA roadside assistance for $66 for one year, 10% off your sprint bill for life.

Theres also the credit union discount: http://www.cusaver.com/home/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TLG James posted:

Your computer doesn't have a DVI port?

Any video card in the last 6 years should have one I would think.

Just use a converter.

However it is video only. Unless you have an ATI card from the last few years, then they have been putting audio down it too.

Yeah my ati card from 2008 or 07 has it. Very handy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah my ati card from 2008 or 07 has it. Very handy.

The cheap-rear end nVidia card in my HTPC does it too, actually. I didn't even realize it at first, I thought there was no way it would be passing audio over a DVI port, but sure as poo poo it does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Interesting post at Sprintusers, apparently someone is claiming that the Samsung Replenish works on $30 SERO with no +$10 fees. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, I might finally be able to get my dad off of the TP2 I sold him. I know it's a drat Samsung and it's hardly a high-end device, but it would pretty much blow the pants off of any other phone he can put on that plan.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

IOwnCalculus posted:

Interesting post at Sprintusers, apparently someone is claiming that the Samsung Replenish works on $30 SERO with no +$10 fees. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, I might finally be able to get my dad off of the TP2 I sold him. I know it's a drat Samsung and it's hardly a high-end device, but it would pretty much blow the pants off of any other phone he can put on that plan.

Yes, the $10 fee is waived on the Replenish

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
I got to play with the Evo 3D a little today mainly for the 3d portion. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the 3D aspect, but the techies will still appreciate the phone. Looking at pictures/videos in 3D really hurt my eyes after a little bit. Specs are nothing to sneeze at though, and I'm glad the people in this thread that are interested in it are going for the specs rather than the gimmick.

Looking at it from a business perspective however I wouldn't outright recommend this phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spidoman posted:

It shouldn't affect your work discount at all, only EPRP is at risk ordering through Amazon. Same thing for Wirefly, but personally i always found them to be shady either way.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly the Replenish is not a horrid phone at all *so far at least*. Not amazing, but for the price not bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, and it gets him to a mobile OS that people actually develop for, instead of WinMo 6.5 or some hacked together version of Android that barely runs with some features working.

So I thought he would at least need to go to $40 SERO premium, and that the $10 being waived is what would take a normal SERO line to $50 for something like the Evo. Would both of those be waived for a Replenish on old $30 SERO?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shed posted:

I got to play with the Evo 3D a little today mainly for the 3d portion. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the 3D aspect, but the techies will still appreciate the phone. Looking at pictures/videos in 3D really hurt my eyes after a little bit. Specs are nothing to sneeze at though, and I'm glad the people in this thread that are interested in it are going for the specs rather than the gimmick.

Looking at it from a business perspective however I wouldn't outright recommend this phone.

Someone told me that if you take away the 3D it is the EVO done right this time. You agree with that?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Well, that was a pleasant surprise. I sent a PM to a Sprint Premiere employee on the Sprint forum and asked him to restore my upgrade, despite a) being past the "end of May" cutoff, and b) being downgraded to Silver.

I saw a post on reddit (not sure if it was posted here) where AndroidPolice or some such forum was told to PM a specific person for requests to reactivate their upgrade. Was that posted already, or do you want me to link to it? I sort of lost track of the thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, and it gets him to a mobile OS that people actually develop for, instead of WinMo 6.5 or some hacked together version of Android that barely runs with some features working.

So I thought he would at least need to go to $40 SERO premium, and that the $10 being waived is what would take a normal SERO line to $50 for something like the Evo. Would both of those be waived for a Replenish on old $30 SERO?

from that thread posted:

GOOD NEWS - Phone showed up early -

bad news - wont activate without changing plan. I'll be god dammed.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Replenish should work on $30 SERO, period. It does not need the $10 smartphone fee nor the $10 4G fee (it's not a 4G phone). So to answer your question, yes.

EDIT: Whoa, just saw above after posting this. What's up with that? Staying tuned...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, not surprised. My dad is adamant about never adding a cent to his monthly bill, so he'll probably run that TP2 into the ground, only to dig his Centro out of storage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You could always get a dumbphone. Are there any that do email?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So they had the 3d at e3 this year, anyone have any idea what kind of content they showed? I can't imagine they'd bring it without anything to show off

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Someone told me that if you take away the 3D it is the EVO done right this time. You agree with that?

What was done "wrong" with the EVO?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Battery life?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Man, I wish Sprint had a better offering of WP7 phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

You could always get a dumbphone. Are there any that do email?

Sprint dumbphone options kinda suck, the best one is the rumor touch and it has been out over 1 year now. The only dumbphone I could recommend over the TP2 is the lotus elite, and sadly that phone is 6 months discontinued.