Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That fight was pretty drat good too.

Of course, we all know the best parts were the Reno and Rude Comedy Hour.

That and when the other party members are given their chance to shine right at the end.

That was a fun, oh, two minutes or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 13 - poo poo gets real

And now back to the show. But first, something must be done - something more evil than the terrible secrets that we humans cannot delve our minds into.

We must...

Change our UI to Rainbow Puke.

And it's ~glorious~

We're doing pretty good.

The yellow thing on the ground here is a [Steal] Materia.

(I'm just showing off our new UI)

Steal is pretty straightforward - You equip it in a character and try to steal poo poo from the enemies. The chance is based entirely on the difference between your level and the enemies' level.

You don't need to use Steal in FF7 at all if you don't want to. FF9 did Steal pretty good, as it was guaranteed that every boss would have something neat for you to steal.

Son, if you try to steal from every boss in FF7 you will be disappointed.

In fact, if you try to play your game normally, steamrolling through everything, you'll be frustrated. There's ONE moment in the game that items are extremely useful but no one in their normal playthrough can predict that.

And even if you can, stealing can still be a chore...

...unless you know what you're doing. With foreknowledge you'll find out two things:

A) Until a certain point, items can be much powerful than Materia. You've seen this with Grenades - they do as much damage as Limits and cost 80 gil. However, money is limited.

B) There are effects that can only be obtained through certain items.

:lol:

Moreover, good items can be acquired from many different places, but like I said, some are only good if you know what to do with them, and some can only be properly acquired if you know what to look for.

In fact, earlier in the game an enemy dropped a very good item - Spider Webs, which function as casting Slow. The drop rate, however, is abysmally low, so even doing Luck Manipulation I would still be wasting a lot of time.

The other item that can be acquired early on is Deadly Waste. Again, the drop rate wasn't good enough for me to farm it, but they'll be back again. Deadly Wastes deal Poison damage and effect (damage inflicted every turn).

Unfortunately, Poison is useless early on. The damage is low (1/32th of the maximum HP per turn). Deadly Waste is very good for No Materia challenges, though.

Now that we have Steal, we have access to some more items as soon as we get to the graveyard.

These are Ghosts. They drop Ghost Hand very rarely, but Ghost Hand can be stolen with relative ease.

Ghost Hands steal 32 MP. A mostly useless item. Of course, we'll play with it.

Also, Ghost Hand is special in which is a Lost Forever item. People whose OCD surpasses all of ours combined like to farm 99 of them here.

Also, Ghosts are insufferable pieces of poo poo and I hope they die.

These flying jerks are Deenglow. You can steal Ethers from them, but more importantly - they drop Graviballs.

Graviballs is your first source of Gravity-based damage in the game. What do they do? I'm so glad you asked. They actually deal 1/4 of the HP the enemy has.

The drawbacks are - they deal 1/4 of the current HP, not maximum, and most bosses are either immune to them, or halve their damage, which sucks. But don't worry. We're gonna use them.

Oh yes, we're gonna, in due time.

The Train Graveyard is a pretty depressing place, but it has a lot of items spread around. It is divided in two screens and is more or less like a maze. Encounter Rate is very, very low. I actually like this about FF7 though.

There's a puzzle in the upper area (the one we can get in earlier in the game) which is just turning on some trains to make them move and nothing special, really.

However...

This enemy, Eligor, only appears in this screen during this moment in the game (remember that early on a flag was set so that we would only fight enemies from the first reactor). It's an uncommon encounter too, but for some reason I always fight him when I play.

Eligor has 300 HP which is much more than a normal enemy has around this place and is the hardest enemy we've fought so far (I'll go ahead and say he's harder than bosses). The reason is because he can inflict both Silence and Sleep status ailments. The former prevents you from casting spells and the later makes your character useless for some turns.

These two attributes greatly reduce your damage output against him.

However, Eligor has a very, very, very good item - the Striking Staff.

That is a staff with 32 Attack (which mind that, is twice what we have right now and much more than Cloud's weapon) and, more importantly, 4 Materia Slots, for Aeris. It's by far the best weapon we have.

In fact, it's SO good, that Aeris now has more Attack and Hit Chance than Cloud, even though her Str is so much lower. Unfortunately, Aeris doesn't have offensive limits, so we can't exploit that appropriately.

The Striking Staff also sells for good money, so it's not a bad idea to steal more than one.

If only the Empire had such loyal defenders the Death Star would still be intact.

That's fairly obvious, or we'd all be dead.

poo poo JUST GOT REAL.

In case you can't make up, these tiny pixels are the AVALANCHE in a massive gunfire atop the pillar. During the event, Wedge falls off to his doom.

Sure man I just fell off 50 meters, we've all established this is nothing.

:gay:

In this moment you get the option to say "no he never paid me, screw you guys", leave, and marry either Tifa, Aeris, Don Corneo or the three of them.

Just kidding, this only happens in Suikoden 2.

You're drat right, Wedge.

Cloud: "I'm going up! Aeris! You look after Wedge."

Tifa: "There's a little girl named Marlene there..."

Aeris of course is not whiny and will find her way to both try to help Wedge and save the girl, like the 90's and 80's action heroes walking away from carrying the girl in their arms while the place goes boom, not looking back.

Or so we hope.

Of course no one really moves out.

I try to run away and say screw this, but Tifa won't allow me. This is no Suikoden 2 :argh:

The guard is trying to get laid. Makes sense, you want to make good use of your last minutes, right?

Although if you think about it, Nature must be facepalming at this.
This is some pretty bad Instinct of Survival going on.

We go to the dude selling stuff, and what do you think Cloud needs? Grenades, of course. We're still nowhere near outdamaging them.

I mean, look at how well-prepared we are. 8 Graviballs, 15 Ghost Hands, we're full of the best useless crap in the game. But anyway, we got 5 Hypers and 8 Grenades, should be good.

Bye-Potion.

Don't worry Ashton, we shall save your barrels.

"Oh, forget it" are some pretty sad last words.

Noooo Jessie :smith:

No Cloud don't be such a jerk :(

:smith:

This place features Aero-Combatants, extremely annoying little pitas. I'd also like to point that this is more or less when trash mobs officially become more dangerous than bosses. Some of the trash mobs in this game pose a real threat to the unprepared party.

Barret: Be careful, they're attacking from the Helicopter.

Always level up [All], because like I said, when these 5 stars fill up you'll be RICH.

It seems Reno isn't very happy about us messing with him last time.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Screw you.

BOSS FIGHT - Reno

Unfortunately although Reno is a cool character, nothing fun comes out of this fight. Reno has just three attacks - a normal attack - pyramid, and electro-mag rod. Pyramid imprisons one of the characters and he will always open the fight with that.

So we don't do nothing fancy this time, just beat him. When you beat Reno he just looks at his watch, says it's time and leaves.

You know, at least FF is consistent with people jumping off high places like it's no big deal.

Well if it isn't... I don't know. Who are you, again?

That's what she said.

You have no chance to survive, make your time.

Tseng: "I wouldn't try that... you might just make me injure our special guest."

Well poo poo is getting real at an alarming rate. AVALANCHE is gone, Aeris has been captured, apparently she is an "Ancient" and we have no idea about what that is... and apparently that's as important (or more) than capturing our group.

Tseng gives her a massive slap on the face. Although he has a Bond villain plot exposition syndrome, Tseng does seem to be pretty serious about his job.

Crap.

We're gonna die :cry:

Seriously.

poo poo

JUST

GOT

REAL

:cry:

PLEASE INSERT CD 2

Next Time:

Flashbacks! Plot! HOLY poo poo THE CITY JUST FELL DOWN WE'RE GONNA DIE

Awesome Music we've Listened to in this Update:

BB King - Keep It Coming - Good music to chillax while writing an LP.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is why I really don't like the Compilation making Reno into goofy comic relief. The guy's not an incompetent schlub, he's just a laid-back dude who does his job well. And his job happens to consist of black ops for an already super-evil corporation.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
This right here is why I love this whole part of FFVII -- poo poo gets so hosed up that it's almost impossible not to take the fight straight to Shinra themselves.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
That window, Jesus, it makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I'm glad you pointed out Reno just casually jumping off the pillar. I find it even more amusing given some dialogue a bit later on. You'd think they could have at least had Tseng's helicopter show up first and have him jump onto it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Sector 7 was an inside job - http://loosegil.com :tinfoil:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Dos posted:

Sector 7 was an inside job - http://loosegil.com :tinfoil:

Except in this case, no :tinfoil: needed!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I always encounter that Chariot dude in the Train Graveyard also, towards the end. I'd always been fairly certain it was a scripted event, even.

Everyone always talks about how great Reno and the Turks are, like they're just kinda cool, kinda comic relief dudes. But man, Reno just basically executed hundreds if not thousands of innocent civilians. He is one ice cold motherfucker.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is one of my favorite parts of the game. There's nothing like when that plate falls the first time. I mean, heroes loving up is nothing new to Final Fantasy (FF5 immediately springs to mind), but watching the plate come down is just visceral and shocking, especially if the graphics were considered good when you saw it first.

Also, the Turks, as always, are awesome bastards.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Uggh those colors, I'm reading this at 1:30 am with the lights off, it hurts!
Is there really a CD change at this point? I've only played the PC Version which came with 3 CDs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Steal is super-important if you're, like me, an insane item collecting maniac. You need to keep Tifa KO'd for pretty much the entire game (and, yes, it must be Tifa for some reason) to keep her level low so you can get 99 of an item that you can only get by stealing from like 1 enemy.

Also Reno is my favourite boss fight in the early game. Dude needs a game where you're just him going around being awesome. Like Before Crisis, only without adding stupid things. Or being a Japan only phone game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there really a CD change at this point?

Nah, that comes far later.

Not like it would matter, as the whole game sans FMV is on all three discs. Really. The only reason this game is three discs is cause of those prerendered videos.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Pretty much the only reason the third disc exists is because of the ending cinematic. The first disc of the game goes a bit further than halfway.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
I love the way Tseng appears at that exact moment, like he's hovering just underneath the tower with a directional mike waiting for the right moment to fly up.

"Wait... wait, I think they found the bomb. Okay go."

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The disc changes are all at the same times as the PC version, in case that joke happens again.

Also, I noticed you failed to end the Reno fight before he pulls off his gimmick. Worst LP ever, immersion ruined, voted 1.

Can the next thing you do be to change the menus back to solid blue?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

George posted:

Can the next thing you do be to change the menus back to solid blue?

FINE you guys are never happy are you.

George posted:

The disc changes are all at the same times as the PC version, in case that joke happens again.

When the real disc change happens I'll post the disc change image, until then I'll just mess around with you guys, or not.

George posted:

Also, I noticed you failed to end the Reno fight before he pulls off his gimmick. Worst LP ever, immersion ruined, voted 1.

FINE I'll do a video of me beating him before he pulls off his gimmick. It's just, there's no real creative way to do it.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Elentor posted:

FINE I'll do a video of me beating him before he pulls off his gimmick. It's just, there's no real creative way to do it.

You want to make that tally as impressive as possible by the end of the game, don't you?

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Elentor posted:

FINE you guys are never happy are you.

Keep that poo poo eye rending rainbow or voting 1.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only thing that bugs me is your screenshots getting bigger all of the sudden. Why did they get bigger all of the sudden?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only thing that bugs me is your screenshots getting bigger all of the sudden. Why did they get bigger all of the sudden?

I changed the resolution to make video-recording easier and didn't notice how much that would screw up the SSs.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I sort of prefer the bigger screenshots.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Why didn't you include a video of the Plate falling FMV sequence?

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

Seraphroy posted:

Keep that poo poo eye rending rainbow or voting 1.

don't listen to this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So many diverging opinions I'm going mad ahhh

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
People who complain about the rainbow scheme shoulda been around to vote against it when it was up for vote. The people have spoken! Democracy is eye-gouging!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So did you use one of them high res mods since now or did i just not notice before? I doubt i didn't notice before, because i could still count the in-battle character polygons with my fingers before. Also:

Just look at this. What kind of joker thinks it's a good idea to slap high med res textures on the train object and doesn't update the background render?

Now the train is five times as detailed as its surroundings, not to mention the color scheme is off, and as a result it looks even worse than the at least consistent PS1-o-vision. :sigh:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think he's not using any mods, he's just rendering the game at a higher resolution.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryEx posted:

So did you use one of them high res mods since now or did i just not notice before? I doubt i didn't notice before, because i could still count the in-battle character polygons with my fingers before. Also:

Just look at this. What kind of joker thinks it's a good idea to slap high med res textures on the train object and doesn't update the background render?

Now the train is five times as detailed as its surroundings, not to mention the color scheme is off, and as a result it looks even worse than the at least consistent PS1-o-vision. :sigh:

The surroundings have high-quality textures. What you want is a bit hard though - the surroundings are at 320*240 fixed (while this screenshot is 960*720) and the train objects are polygon objects benefiting from scaling, anisotropic filters and other stuff. Besides, the PSX is known for extremely sharp contrast in the texture renders. They also have a different color setup because they don't benefit from the effects from the pre-render.

But more important, it's a design decision. The train objects need to stand out because the player needs to "get it" that he can interact with them. It's a bit harsh, but it works perfectly for that.

I'm not using any mods.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

I'm not using any mods.

Man, my TV must have sucked back then.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
If the trains didn't look different, I'd still be stuck in that graveyard. :saddowns:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryEx posted:

Man, my TV must have sucked back then.

Your TV probably had scanlines, and like I said, this is 960*720. The objects rendered in real-time have been scaled properly, and their textures have filters.

The battle character models looked fairly good back then, but of course, a lot of details were missing between the scanlines and the piss-poor resolution.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
How does this thing look playing it on a modern TV? I'm pretty sure my original discs are (and maybe the PSX itself) missing, so buying it on PSN and playing it on a giant screen might be the only option I've got.

Also, this thread is really fantastic. I've never before made it this far into a screen shot LP of an RPG, and I don't see myself losing interest any time soon. Learning all sorts of neat tricks for a game that represents a huge chuck on my childhood (I was 7 when the game came out).

The voice segments are great, but is it possible to keep the game audio underneath in? Just low.

Your voice itself is pretty rad, too. Laurie Anderson ought to hire you when she wants things to sound like this. Skip hiring Antony Hegarty and bothering pitch shifting.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009

Woozy posted:

Yes.
*picture of Shadowrun 3e*
You know how when you run something through a babelfish translation, and then translate it back through babelfish again, it comes out all loving weird like a clone of a clone? Yeah, that's FFVII.

To be honest, I still love FF7 a ton, but like a friend once elaborated, if you look at it one way, it's *really* like a gripping Shadowrun campaign when suddenly the GM goes "Hay guys! I just bought this book called Exalted! :catholic: Rehash your sheets right away!" And things go on from there, not quite the same.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Voting to keep it rainbow colored :colbert:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It's weird how changing one little thing like the color of a text block can ruin the atmosphere and turn a game into complete poo poo.

It kind of makes you think. Perhaps a few tweaks here and there and FF8 and FF9 could have been good games.

Anyway, change it back.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Rainbows are nice places to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

I'd like it changed back, if it counts.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Return to blue textboxes. I'm not sure how that got voted in, other than :bandwagon:, but it's terrible and oh god my eyes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Return to the previous size please. Some of us don't have enormous monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Keep it rainbow for the true FF7 experience. :colbert:

• Locked thread