Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Maybe I'm just a sucker for infinity engine games with lots of content though. Even the original Icewind Dale, which should be boring as poo poo, has lots of original areas to explore and a fun, if really limited, combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

TooManyUzukis posted:

Since we're on the subject of NWN2, I have always had the hardest time dealing with spirit hunger in MotB. Is there any advice relating to that system anyone can give? I would prefer to not "give in" to the hunger, but it feels very difficult to manage that.

It was really difficult for me to get into this game because of the spirit hunger. I was used to using a shitload of spells all the time and resting every couple of battles. I never even thought of the option to sacrifice experience to manage the hunger (it's one of the spirit-eater abilities) since exp is always so important in rpgs. You can get through the whole game easily if you use this option a couple of times, it totally resets your meter and craving level, and it doesn't take much xp at all (you might end up at level 36 instead of 37 or something). Or you can revel in your spirit-eater destiny and eat every spirit you can find (you should definitely try this sometime).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
But in answer to his question, wouldn't Icewind Dale 1&2 be it? It's got all the gooey combat, but none of the story.

Also, gently caress Neverwinter Nights in any incarnation, and gently caress the first Baldur's gate.

That's like saying to play the first Fallout instead of skipping straight to two. There is just no reason.

Edit: Or telling people to play Persona 1 before they play Persona 4. You just don't do it unless you hate the person.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I honestly believe Fallout is a much better game than its successor. Its combat may not be as balanced, but I found the plot much more interesting, and the beginning is way better paced in my opinion. I got to the end of Fallout 2 and just couldn't finish it. I liked it but it tapered off at the end for me. Fallout 1, on the other hand, was always really compelling.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

TooManyUzukis posted:

Since we're on the subject of NWN2, I have always had the hardest time dealing with spirit hunger in MotB. Is there any advice relating to that system anyone can give? I would prefer to not "give in" to the hunger, but it feels very difficult to manage that.

Honestly, I just cheated past it. I generally have a personal rule never to use codes/cheats my first time through a game, but that was the most retarded idea ever for a NWN game. This probably isn't the answer you want, but I tell you what; that game was WAY more enjoyable without having to worry about how much I slept.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been playing Warlords: Battlecry III and it's really fun, pretty much exactly what I was looking for as far as an RPG-RTS hybrid goes. I'll try the Spellforce games next. Are any of the Warlords games themselves worth checking out? I understand they're turn-based and the description sounds pretty close to the HOMM games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Dealing with the spirit hunger isn't that hard. If all you use is suppress your craving will go down in no time and with the lowest craving you shouldn't have much trouble with spirit hunger as your spirit energy bar won't deplete as fast.

Other tips:

-When using suppress, use it around spirits! It will give you more spirit energy back. So if you're in Mulsantir, go find that spirit badger and suppress near it. If you're in Ashenwood, find a bunch of spirit animals and suppress near them. Always try to find a spirit when using suppress as using it near them will give you back more energy.

-If I'm not mistaken, elementals also count as spirits and so using suppress near them gives back more spirit energy. The advantage to this is that some spells summon elementals and so if no spirits are nearby you can summon an elemental and use suppress and it will give you more energy back than just suppressing with nothing nearby. Heck even use it if there are spirits nearby and it will still add more to your suppress.

-Get the Eternal rest ability from the undead priest in the Death God's Vault. To get it, you need to have been revealed as a spirit eater (so, you have to have fought Okku) and then you need to go talk to the priest on the first floor of the Death God's Vault- he's the guy near the furnace who tries to ignore you. Talk to him and if you choose the right options you will get an option to grant the Priest eternal rest which gives you the eternal rest ability. This ability is basically devour spirit except usable on undead and unlike devour spirit it does not increase your craving. It's also occasionally usable in dialogue options which will also replenish your spirit energy.

That's all I can think of off hand. Basically the game shouldn't be all that difficult for a character who takes the good path and doesn't try to devour spirits. The key is just suppress suppress suppress and always summon elementals/ try to do it around other spirits so that it replenishes more energy. Keep your craving low and you should be good.

Evil characters are a different story. Using devour spirit constantly is quite difficult and will make playing any character that relies on spells to succeed (other than a Warlock) have a hard time.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Vigilance posted:

-Get the Eternal rest ability from the undead priest in the Death God's Vault. To get it, you need to have been revealed as a spirit eater (so, you have to have fought Okku) and then you need to go talk to the priest on the first floor of the Death God's Vault- he's the guy near the furnace who tries to ignore you. Talk to him and if you choose the right options you will get an option to grant the Priest eternal rest which gives you the eternal rest ability. This ability is basically devour spirit except usable on undead and unlike devour spirit it does not increase your craving. It's also occasionally usable in dialogue options which will also replenish your spirit energy.

There's also the ability to devour humanoids if you choose to devour Okku instead of sparing him. This DOES increase craving though, unlike Eternal Rest. On the other hand, you'll never be short on enemies to feed on, unlike when you can only subsist on spirits. More or less required for evil characters who revel in spirit eating.

Vigilance posted:

Evil characters are a different story. Using devour spirit constantly is quite difficult and will make playing any character that relies on spells to succeed (other than a Warlock) have a hard time.

I found this out the hard way. When craving is at max or near max, resting means instant death. Not good when you're playing a Wizard or Sorceror.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone looking forward to Dungeon Siege 3?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Naky posted:

unless they gather their party first.

Okay I walked right into that one, I'll admit. :v:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is an objectively bad game, though. :colbert: I will not be persuaded otherwise. It was Bioware's first RPG, and it showed in so many ways. BG2 is infinitely better and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1.

The Tutu mod really makes the game playable again, though. It's mostly my preference, but I rather like the "explore every nook and cranny" feel of the first, even if it does tend to be underdeveloped, especially before reaching baldur's gate. Once you get there, it does begin to pick up steam right up to the end, which is an appropriately intense final battle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

casual poster posted:

"looking forward to" no, there's too much poo poo on my backlog, but I enjoyed the demo and it's an Obsidian game with actual polish! It'll be less than $30 come winter Steam sale and I'll scoop it up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

casual poster posted:

Yes and no. I want to pick it up for the co-op fun with a friend, but I can't imagine getting it at full price, unless some really good reviews come in.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Can I ask which Civilization and what expansion to play with?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gaggins posted:

It was really difficult for me to get into this game because of the spirit hunger.
Just disable it. The story of MOTB is worth reading, although the gameplay can be iffy.

Alternatively, just read the very excellent LPs by our very own Lt. Danger.

http://lparchive.org/Neverwinter-Nights-2-Mask-of-the-Betrayer/

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nier or Resonance of Fate. I think I want to play RoF more, but I'm not sure that I'm really in the mood for an overly long RPG.

Or I could just finish Tales of Vesperia which I haven't played for a year.

Thoughts?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Haven`t played Neir but I did play RoF.

Resonance of Fate is only incredibly long (I put 80 hours into it) if you decide to do everything. I`m talking getting a plat (or all achievements) in the game.

If you just want to play and beat the game and that`s it. You can probably do it in half that time. Perhaps a bit more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Nier or Resonance of Fate. I think I want to play RoF more, but I'm not sure that I'm really in the mood for an overly long RPG.

Thoughts?

Nier, by miles. Resonance of Fate is yet another notch in Tri-Ace's lifetime achievement award for squandered potential, while Nier has some of the best characterization and voice acting of any rpg I've ever played. You get everything RoF has to offer in the first couple hours of play, after which you just do the same same lengthy combat animations over and over while the game checks off a few more items of the rpg cliche list.

I got both during Amazon's thanksgiving sale. RoF sits half finished, while Nier compelled me to plow through it, getting all the endings in just a couple weeks.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unlike dis astranagant, I thought RoF was great, but I would still recommend Nier over it any day. Nier is honestly one if my favorite RPG's ever and, like dis said, it has the best characterization and voice acting of pretty much any RPG I can think of.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 16, 2011

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I guess I'll go with Nier then. Why did it tank so bad with reviewers when most rpg players seem to think Nier is a pretty great game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Shakugan posted:

Thoughts?
Nier has mediocre gameplay but everything else about it is interesting/good.

RoF has great gameplay but due to the length of the game, you may start to feel bored with it by the midpoint as it doesn't really change much until much later on (and even then, the strategic change isn't much, just a "oh I guess I gotta start using so and so")

ToV is somewhere in the middle of both although definitely a fan-favorite. I know what you mean by stopping in the middle though, tends to be a common problem with Tales games in my experience.

I'd go with Nier personally, but its gameplay really is mediocre most of the time =(

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Rascyc posted:

ToV is somewhere in the middle of both although definitely a fan-favorite. I know what you mean by stopping in the middle though, tends to be a common problem with Tales games in my experience.

I'd go with Nier personally, but its gameplay really is mediocre most of the time =(

I put down ToV because I was studying abroad for a year. That said, it was becoming a bit tedious.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And let's not forget the loving amazing soundtrack!

Rule number 1 of Nier: if something looks like tedious bullshit, ignore it. If you sperg, the game will mock you mercilessly for it. THAT is why this game got such bad press.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 16, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shakugan posted:

I guess I'll go with Nier then. Why did it tank so bad with reviewers when most rpg players seem to think Nier is a pretty great game?

Honestly the gameplay isn't fantastic. It's moderately entertaining and it's varied so it never gets boring, but the only real reason the game gets so much praise is for it's plot/characters (well the soundtrack is gorgeous as well.) As for why reviewers didn't appreciate that, well, reviewers are dumb. Well that's not entirely true, you need to get at least endings A and B to fully appreciate the story, and I think some reviewers didn't realize just how much changes when you're going for ending B. Seriously, at least get Ending B.

Also, once you're done with Nier pick up Vesperia again. Plotwise it's pretty plain beyond a couple of particularly well done moments, but the characters, especially Yuri, are great and the gameplay is fantastic.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

RoF is unique in that unlike other modern jrpgs that introduce combat elements bit by bit and give tutorials for it all, RoF gives you access to everything from the get-go and does a piss-poor job of explaining it all. It's an interesting change of pace, but as a result it never really evolves at all as the game goes on (and it goes on for quite a while). It's fun, but not really 60 hours-fun.

Creating horrible frankenstein guns with 3 handguards, 8 scopes, and 10 barrels pointing straight down will always be entertaining, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I pointed my barrels up, personally. "You think you're better than me? Snooty Chandelier FUCKS!!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
ToV is pretty awesome if you're an OCD gamer like me as it will keep you very busy. Between getting all the recipes, costumes, grinding GRADE, and getting my guys to level 200, it actually kept my attention long enough for me to finish it. Usually I get about 2/3rds of the way through an RPG before I fall into the "I'll just grind for a bit" trap, get bored, and end up dropping the game for a year.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

VDay posted:

ToV is pretty awesome if you're an OCD gamer like me as it will keep you very busy. Between getting all the recipes, costumes, grinding GRADE, and getting my guys to level 200, it actually kept my attention long enough for me to finish it. Usually I get about 2/3rds of the way through an RPG before I fall into the "I'll just grind for a bit" trap, get bored, and end up dropping the game for a year.

That's the same sort of thing with Star Ocean 4, which has 255 levels for each character, 900 battle trophies, 153 monster data entries that require a lot of grinding, weapon data, about 300 odd recipes, loads of side quests. I think Vesperia is probably the better of the two in the end, (haven't played it thanks to no PS3 loving localisation, but from what i've read)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Nier blew me out of the water. I picked it up around release after reading through the thread about it, and I do not regret it. The storyline reminded me why I loved RPG's so much and the music with the scenery was just incredible. I remember riding the boar through the vast plain with the volume pumped all the way up, and it just feeling so great.
I really wish the gameplay was better. I mean drat, atleast swing the sword faster if I level up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I kind of liked how you swing faster as you increase combos.

When you get to The Aerie and you're racking up 200+ hit combos easily, it's like "RAMPAAAAAAAGE!"

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Defiance Industries posted:

I kind of liked how you swing faster as you increase combos.

When you get to The Aerie and you're racking up 200+ hit combos easily, it's like "RAMPAAAAAAAGE!"

I totally forgot about those combos. I used to love running around in circles in the plains and just getting a whole group of the little monsters (I forget their names at this moment) together and eventually turning around, running into the middle of them and just launching huge combos.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
What were the good RPGs for the Wii?

Or hell, has anyone played every RPG on the Wii and can give a quick review? There's only like 12 for what I figure.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Anybody wanna recommend me an RPG for the DS? I have or played: DQ IX, FF 4 Heroes, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Radiant Historia. Just looking for a new game to kill some time with.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

VDay posted:

Anybody wanna recommend me an RPG for the DS? I have or played: DQ IX, FF 4 Heroes, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Radiant Historia. Just looking for a new game to kill some time with.

Do you have the Chrono Trigger remake? It's pretty good and adds a couple of new features.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

VDay posted:

Grab one of the older DQ games (4/5/6). They're not difficult, but still deep enough to be decent time killers. Having played DQ9, you'll find the interface a bit annoying at first, but I still think they're worth playing.

If you want something a little more offbeat, I really loved The World Ends With You. It's not everyone's cup of tea, mind you, so maybe read some reviews first.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lone Rogue posted:

What were the good RPGs for the Wii?

Or hell, has anyone played every RPG on the Wii and can give a quick review? There's only like 12 for what I figure.

Well, excluding Fire Embling as it's a SRPG these are the only other RPG's I've played for the Wii

Arc Rise Fantasia - Good battle system. Graphics aren't too great. Okay story. Good music. lovely lovely VOICE ACTING. Seriously. Turn the voice acting off, it's loving terrible. But the game overall is pretty fun and the bosses are challenging as well.

Fragile Dreams - Action RPG. Has the shittiest battle system ever. Every fight including boss battles are a joke. However, the story itself is a pretty neat idea and if you play the game you'll want to play it for the atmosphere. The game is set in a post apocalyptic world where very few humans exist and you play a boy named Seto who just wants to find someone else. Very great musical track to it and there's some great touching moments to the game as well. But yeah, you'll have to bear with one of the shittiest combat systems ever.

EDIT: I can't wait till Xenoblade finally comes out so I can import that and finally have a great RPG on the Wii.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

VDay posted:

Anybody wanna recommend me an RPG for the DS? I have or played: DQ IX, FF 4 Heroes, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Radiant Historia.

If you consider getting a first-person dungeon-crawler, Etrian Odyssey 3 is the best of the lot.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

VDay posted:

You probably would've picked it up already if you were interested but there are three series of Pokemon games on the DS. Black and White just came out and are probably the best but there are also the Gold and Silver remakes and the last gen of Pokemon games, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

Seconding the Dragon Quest remakes. Everyone seems to like V the best so I'd start with that one.

OK, speaking of Nier, does anyone know if there are any differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? Since it's a Squeenix game I'm guessing the PS3 version would be a bit better but I just wanted to see if anyone had heard otherwise.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2011

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I hear the 360 version is better - the PS3 has screen tear problems. But that's going off what other goons have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've decided to start working through the classic RPGs. I'm starting with Final Fantasy 4 on an emulator so I can run the battles at 200% speed and make it much less of a grind. There's a lot of good classics I never got around to playing, so here's to it!