Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

Agreed posted:

Where are the current Malden guitars made, out of curiosity? I checked back when I was thinking about getting one a bit ago, and it looks like they used to sell for about $100 to $150 more than they're blowing them out for, so that price slashed figure looks to be MSRP laffo-bux rather than MAP. Are they made in China, Korea, Mexico, or...?

Edit: They've definitely streeted for lower prices in the past. At one point in 2008 there was a similar blowout, but on ebay, where they were going for $250ish (similar to now, but not identical). And to answer my own question it looks like they're Made In Korea. Which is fine with me, love Korean guitars, finely made :cool:

I don't think I'll be picking one up, but the Jazzmaster is tempting.

They seem a bit above higher end Agiles, but I'm no guitar expert. Obviously the MAP is bullshit, but even at half that it's a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..
I purchased my Yamaha NP-30 a while back, which I, by the way, am really happy with. But, it's not quite good enough for me, after all, I intend to make piano my career of choice by attending a music school autumn 2012! (Super stoked)

So.... this baby, I want to get ASAP:

The Yamaha CLP-470 (or CLP-480, not entirely decided on it yet) *drooooool*

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Welp, just put through a little bulk order of D'Addario's today so that should have me set for a few more months. Hopefully there will be something in the player points catalogue worth looking into. I have a small box full of D'Addario packaging lying around waiting to be traded in but the only thing that seems to be worth it is a bar stool... which I have no room for.

Handen posted:

As beat up as it is there is something incredibly sexy about that guitar.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Blue Square posted:

As beat up as it is there is something incredibly sexy about that guitar.

Eat your heart out, "distressed" and "reliced" guitars.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Some goodies I picked up from eBay a while ago for a future build. Yep, they're that "Oh dear Lord my eyes!" green in real life, and I like 'em that way dammit.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Blue Square posted:

Some goodies I picked up from eBay a while ago for a future build. Yep, they're that "Oh dear Lord my eyes!" green in real life, and I like 'em that way dammit.

Cover the guitar completely in luminous paint

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Get a matching stage outfit, top to bottom.

mastur
Mar 26, 2007

queefing the ice beard.
Carry a pot of gold and jet puffed marshmallows.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

AstroZamboni posted:

In a few years Fender will be selling a "Totally hosed Up" line for a moderate premium.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

AstroZamboni posted:

That guitar is less "distressed" and more "left for dead".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

"distraught"

"tormented"

"perturbed"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
cant wait for the 2012 Fender 'Agitated' Series

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Agreed posted:

In a few years Fender will be selling a "Totally hosed Up" line for a moderate premium.

They already sort of did when they released the batch run of EVH Frankenstein replicas at the eye watering price of $25,000 a pop. (And I really wanted one)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Molested might be the word we're looking for.

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

Philthy posted:

Molested might be the word we're looking for.

I think brutalized and thoroughly raped is more like it, but that might just be me.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
oh are we talking about how much we love relics in here?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Boss VF-1 half-width 1U rack multi-effects unit. Spent a few weeks with it and I seriously need another one for company (along with a replacement mixer, two out of four subs died suddenly). Preferably for the same price I got this minty one for - 50€. For us hardware fags this is like the best thing ever, it's like rigging multiple effect and filter VSTs.. except on hardware!

The sound quality is amazing, I'm even fine with the quality of the cab and mic emulations, reverbs and delays are a pleasure to play with, not sure about the distortion modelling - kinda prefer doing it manually through an old Tascam, plenty of formant screwery to use with vocals.

It also takes care of another big problem I had, namely the really bad analogue to digital conversion of the MPC 1000 input, this baby does digital out. Has Hi-Z input on the front too. A++ would buy at least three more of these if I found them outside of eBay.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I ended up getting one of those Malden Subhuman guitars and the thing is loving sweet. It's the lighest guitar I've ever played and when people say it sounds really good acoustically, they're not kidding. Perhaps it's the light body? Whenever you play full chords on it, you almost feel like you're playing an acoustic guitar. The guitar plays really slick and fast, and out of the box the action and setup was good. The strings were even in tune pretty much, although it only had to go ~25 miles from Hollywood to my place. Definitely satisfied with this one, a steal at $250. The tesla pickups are nice and versatile, particularly with the single-coil tap, which I really love.

Taken on my bad Android camera.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Carbohydrates posted:

oh are we talking about how much we love relics in here?

Fiesta red looks so drat good on strats.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Kerpal posted:

I ended up getting one of those Malden Subhuman guitars and the thing is loving sweet. It's the lighest guitar I've ever played and when people say it sounds really good acoustically, they're not kidding. Perhaps it's the light body? Whenever you play full chords on it, you almost feel like you're playing an acoustic guitar. The guitar plays really slick and fast, and out of the box the action and setup was good. The strings were even in tune pretty much, although it only had to go ~25 miles from Hollywood to my place. Definitely satisfied with this one, a steal at $250. The tesla pickups are nice and versatile, particularly with the single-coil tap, which I really love.

I am super tempted to get one of these and stick a joystick-controlled oscillator smack dab in the middle of that cross, but I'm not wild about that metal as hell cutaway. How thick is it?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
1 3/4", same as my Telemaster. Square sided. As I always say, think of it as a SG with an extension. It serves a purpose: the strap button up there means that it is _not_ neckheavy. And, I should also note, look at the bottom, there's a notch... perfect to drape the cord over when you tuck it through the strap so you don't step on it.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/SMCBKYRD.jpg

I still recommend this strap for maximum metal.

And the sustain on this thing is insane as hell. And, unlike most metal guitars, it's got good mids.

I'm seriously considering snapping up a Mozak as soon as I can afford it.
(behold, bluesdad rockin.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiC_8H2fH0o&feature=player_embedded

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 17, 2011

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Warcabbit posted:

1 3/4", same as my Telemaster. Square sided. As I always say, think of it as a SG with an extension. It serves a purpose: the strap button up there means that it is _not_ neckheavy. And, I should also note, look at the bottom, there's a notch... perfect to drape the cord over when you tuck it through the strap so you don't step on it.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/SMCBKYRD.jpg

I still recommend this strap for maximum metal.

And the sustain on this thing is insane as hell. And, unlike most metal guitars, it's got good mids.

I'm seriously considering snapping up a Mozak as soon as I can afford it.
(behold, bluesdad rockin.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiC_8H2fH0o&feature=player_embedded

I came close to buying a baby blue Utopia one-off a few months ago and have been kicking myself since. Thanks for the tips on the Subhuman!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Hey, I do have a profile shot. Here, this should be helpful. Note that the guitar is fully bound, body, neck, _and_ headstock. And that it has a nice, uhm, what is that, volute?

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, I do have a profile shot. Here, this should be helpful. Note that the guitar is fully bound, body, neck, _and_ headstock. And that it has a nice, uhm, what is that, volute?

The volute is that bump on the back of the headstock - that is a really great pic, thanks for posting it - I'm gonna send it to my friend and see if he thinks it'll be easy to get the oscillator and a controller in there.

That seems like a drat great guitar for ~$300. Now I just need to find the discretionary spending for it!

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Agreed posted:

pickchat

Well now you've done it. I just spent 13 bucks on a pick, the Tradition 4.0. I've been playing with 3mm stubbies for the past few months so I'm really looking forward to this one.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
USA Big Muff arrived a couple of days ago, but you all know what they look like. Will prob get around to posting my collection in the pedalboard thread tomorrow (if I can find a non-corrupt SD card for my camera) as it's grown a lot recently.

Having used the 'Big Fuzz' on Guitar Rig 4, and the 'fuzz' setting on my ME-25, I was absolutely blown away by how... alive my Jag sounds now- seriously cannot compare between copies and the real thing. The tone knob is more versatile than the rest of my distortions (except maybe the Metal Muff) combined, the sustain lets you go from a little bite to full on NIN-style breakup and it's pretty loving loud.

Only dislikes are the stupid proprietary power in and maybe the background hiss at high volumes. Other than that, fully recommend it- my brother listened for about 10 minutes before ordering himself one.

edit: Sounds great with a bass too- can get that 'Hysteria' tone real easy.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
I only started playing a few months ago but I blew my load early and bought an American Standard.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

internet celebrity posted:

Well now you've done it. I just spent 13 bucks on a pick, the Tradition 4.0. I've been playing with 3mm stubbies for the past few months so I'm really looking forward to this one.

I have got, ahhh, a lot of picks since that last post, too. Man I love picks. That Dugain guy knows what the hell he's doing, too. My most used picks are from Surfpick, V-Pick and Dugain. I love the sound and feel of the Dugains, he actually managed to do what Dunlop failed to replicate in copying his ergonomic features. The thumb indent and forefinger sculpture on the brass one is fantastic, probably going to get some more in from him. I got an acetate at 5mm, feels fantastic, and a WB horn at 4.5mm. I wish that horn wasn't so wear-prone... They have an excellent quality to their sound but they will eventually wear out, it's made out of friggin animal horn. Not permanent. So I play it only sometimes and am careful not to play aggressively, I bet it would sound amazing on an acoustic.

The brass one will probably outlast me. It has a heavy sound, moves the strings in a really nice way and brings all that mass to bear - Telecaster + good high gain + brass Dugain = :rock:, somehow, The distinction on single notes is still there, but it doesn't twang on chords, it impacts. Really cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Everyone knows what they look like, but what the hell. Mesa Recto 4x12 Slant cab:

Also all this crap: Fulltone OCD, Planet Waves custom speaker cable, Yorkville patch cord, Matched Quad of JJ E34Ls and 5 ECC83S' tubes.

It's been a good week. :)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's been a little while since I actually made the purchase (and got the bridge looked at because I couldn't set it up to save my life), but now, I have my first bought-by-myself guitar. It's not high-class or anything, but I wanted a Tele (my eye was on the `72 thinline reissue), and I walked into Guitar Center telling myself I'd get myself a set of strings, maybe a new delay pedal (I still have no delay pedal - sadness), and there was this amazing thing. Sure, it's a Squier, but it's got a Bigsby installed stock. Super-delightful fun. (And then I find out later that it doesn't quite match my playing style since I make up for deficiencies with my pick-hand by strumming more than I need to, I suck.)

Nevertheless, I love this thing, and the sounds it makes.

(Photo is cropped from a shot I took of the stringed-things corner of my home studio for a family member some time back, hence everything being in 'display mode.')

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

faarcyde posted:

I only started playing a few months ago but I blew my load early and bought an American Standard.

You'll love it. My first "serious" guitar was an american standard, and 15 years later it's still my favorite. I've heard the ones they're building today are the best they've been in decades, so this guy should last you a long time.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of any new gear in the past few months, especially the zebrawood guitar.

But just arrived from hellomusic deal - 60's Tribute Les Paul in honeyburst.

It's a fun guitar, but not sure about the sound and feel. I'm still getting used to it. I've wanted a LP and this deal was difficult to pass up as an entry Gibson LP. The neck is slimmer than most LP's and gets a rep for being too fast and not too traditional. Personally, it's a fantastic neck! It's the middle ground in my gear between the RG550 and a Telecaster. The frets are a bit sharp on the edges and need to be filed over on the edges, but that is typical for these lower-end LPs. Finish is not there, and is meant to be a bit road worn, but it isn't. It just isn't finished which gives it a nice natural wood feeling. The pickups rock, but the strings out of box are horrible. I swapped them out last night for another 10-46 set and will continue to set it up this evening. At the moment, it isn't staying in tune to well. Neck is straight and everything looks peachy. Strings and proper set up will fix those issues.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Schatten posted:

Still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of any new gear in the past few months, especially the zebrawood guitar.

But just arrived from hellomusic deal - 60's Tribute Les Paul in honeyburst.

It's a fun guitar, but not sure about the sound and feel. I'm still getting used to it. I've wanted a LP and this deal was difficult to pass up as an entry Gibson LP. The neck is slimmer than most LP's and gets a rep for being too fast and not too traditional. Personally, it's a fantastic neck! It's the middle ground in my gear between the RG550 and a Telecaster. The frets are a bit sharp on the edges and need to be filed over on the edges, but that is typical for these lower-end LPs. Finish is not there, and is meant to be a bit road worn, but it isn't. It just isn't finished which gives it a nice natural wood feeling. The pickups rock, but the strings out of box are horrible. I swapped them out last night for another 10-46 set and will continue to set it up this evening. At the moment, it isn't staying in tune to well. Neck is straight and everything looks peachy. Strings and proper set up will fix those issues.

Would love to hear soundclips if possible. I've been wondering about those models and would love to replace my lost '64 SG Special. If you do have the time to record something, I'd be most interested in hearing the neck PU and neck/bridge combo through a clean amp or modeller (in which case an AC30 or Twin would be great).

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Will see what I can do. No promises. I don't like others hearing how badly I play. =D Only have a Palomino V16 at the moment, but in the future, I'm trying to decide on an AC30, Fender Twin, or one of the Carvin V3 models seem appealing too. Sadly, whichever I get, it will not be gigged, but would be paired with a hotplate.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Stechschritt posted:

Here are some artsy fartsy pictures of the Les Paul Studio I got in today. It was supposed to come in a gig bag and even said so on the shipping invoice. So imagine my surprise when I open up the box and find a Gibson hardshell. Excellent guitar. I have been playing wanky floyd guitars with EMGs for the past few years and the change in tone is great.

I've been lusting after this guitar for pretty much forever, and now that I've got my annual bonus sitting in my checking account I'm very close to pulling the trigger. I went to Sam Ash and played with that exact model for an hour the other day and loved it, so I'm desperate to know: is there anything at all that's disappointed you so far or any words of caution you have? I'm going to be upgrading from an MIM standard Strat that I've had for the last 10 years, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible that buying this will be a bad decision. But still gotta do my due diligence.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

bam thwok posted:

I've been lusting after this guitar for pretty much forever, and now that I've got my annual bonus sitting in my checking account I'm very close to pulling the trigger. I went to Sam Ash and played with that exact model for an hour the other day and loved it, so I'm desperate to know: is there anything at all that's disappointed you so far or any words of caution you have? I'm going to be upgrading from an MIM standard Strat that I've had for the last 10 years, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible that buying this will be a bad decision. But still gotta do my due diligence.

My advice - take a strap with you or a few of them and see how it feels on. Should feel fine fine fine. But if you find one that is setup right and works for you in the store, by all means, don't pass it up if you have the funds! They hold their value, so if you need to sell it used, you will not take too much of a hit.

On the other hand, some of those Fender Pawn Shop guitars look fantastic and play great too. CIJ - which is a plus over MIM's and MIK's, IMO. I just have a feeling they won't hold their value well in the coming years.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I bet a Squier '51 will, though, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003

Underflow posted:

Would love to hear soundclips if possible. I've been wondering about those models and would love to replace my lost '64 SG Special. If you do have the time to record something, I'd be most interested in hearing the neck PU and neck/bridge combo through a clean amp or modeller (in which case an AC30 or Twin would be great).

Well man, I've got a 50's tribute in Honeyburst. A little different, mainly the pickups being P90s, but I'll have to say it is a KICKASS guitar. Tone to the bone, and I don't know if I got lucky or what, but the sustain is better than any topnotch Les Paul I've ever played. Also loud as hell unplugged. Like he said though, it didn't stay in tune very well until it was setup properly. Then it was golden. Get one.

e: poo poo, I guess they both have p90s. Whats the difference between the 50s and the 60s tribute?

Deelon fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 22, 2011

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Schatten posted:

At the moment, it isn't staying in tune to well. Neck is straight and everything looks peachy. Strings and proper set up will fix those issues.
If that persists even after your new strings are broken in then it's probably the nut. I've owned over a dozen Gibsons and, I swear to God, they don't know how to cut a nut without making strings bind at it, throwing them out of tune.

bam thwok posted:

I'm desperate to know: is there anything at all that's disappointed you so far or any words of caution you have?
I owned one of these for a while. I favored it over a Les Paul Traditional and an older Standard Plus; it outlasted both of them. I'm not sure if they still are, but mine was chambered, which is fantastic - I greatly favor chambered LPs for their lighter weight and nicer balance. Great necks, great feel, even great pickups out of the box. It's a really drat good model if you don't demand binding or a maple cap. They're also fun to mod if you get a wild hair:

(graphite nut, roller bridge, lightweight tailpiece, RS electronics, Burstbucker 2&3 pickups, white-knob Kluson tuners, various cosmetic changes)

Words of caution? When I bought mine, the store had three of them, and one had poorly finished frets. Just make sure the one you play and like is the one you buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Deelon posted:

Well man, I've got a 50's tribute in Honeyburst. A little different, mainly the pickups being P90s, but I'll have to say it is a KICKASS guitar. Tone to the bone, and I don't know if I got lucky or what, but the sustain is better than any topnotch Les Paul I've ever played. Also loud as hell unplugged. Like he said though, it didn't stay in tune very well until it was setup properly. Then it was golden. Get one.

e: poo poo, I guess they both have p90s. Whats the difference between the 50s and the 60s tribute?

I have a 50's tribute in black and everything this man says is true. I pre-ordered it when they were first announced and I am still extremely happy with it, it has to be one of the best LP's I've ever laid my hands on. The only thing I don't like was that Gibson decided to lightly relic the line, but that's just a cosmetic issue.

The 60's Tributes have a slimmer neck and are also available in the SG body style. Gibson recently released a 50's Tribute LP with humbuckers, though i'm sure the 60's tributes will get the same.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 22, 2011