Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mom washed cumshirt posted:

i remember the first time i played this i was hoping that at some point biggs would be a partymember (probably because he seemed like the only one of those three who had his poo poo in line), so i was pretty bummed when he died. :( RIP rambo's skinny brother.

I spent most of the first disc convinced that they weren't really dead and would come back in some dramatically appropriate manner to save my rear end.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Nah, that comes far later.

Not like it would matter, as the whole game sans FMV is on all three discs. Really. The only reason this game is three discs is cause of those prerendered videos.

I wonder how many games did this. I remember one time I somehow tricked Star Ocean 2 into letting me play a section of disc 2 using disc 1 (I think I hot-swapped the discs or something) and it worked just fine. I did eventually get to a part where the game wanted to play an FMV and instead of freezing up or anything, it played the last part of some disc 1 video and then part of another. So I guess instead of having files that it is told to play, each disc has just one long video and it is told to play certain parts of it? I think I remember something like that back from when I ripped certain songs from my Gran Turismo game because I had no idea what their names were but I loved the songs that much. The disc had like 4 music files and each one was multiple songs. Now I'm wondering how the files are stored and sorted on my FFVII discs.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Diablos? Dude, this is Final Fantasy 7, you're thinking of the next game.

Oh man, I forgot how awesome his attack animation is. I didn't use him much because of the whole "gravity damage is based on current HP" thing, but I did use him at times just to see his attack.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

pandaK posted:

Who's RedChocobo?

The goon who does the Pokemon LP's.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
^ Worth noting he has a different username now.

Well, that derail went terrible places didn't it?

I can't remember for sure, but this is kind of the Turk's last display of competency, isn't it? I know in later encounters they are kind of gently caress-ups.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 16, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, that derail went terrible places didn't it?

I can't remember for sure, but this is kind of the Turk's last display of competency, isn't it? I know in later encounters they are kind of gently caress-ups.

I don't know about that. They usually lose after this, but they're not /complete/ fuckups. It's really just Elena who is incompetent. R&R don't really give a poo poo either way.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Farseli posted:

Oh man, I forgot how awesome his attack animation is. I didn't use him much because of the whole "gravity damage is based on current HP" thing, but I did use him at times just to see his attack.

As Diablos levels up, it's actually a pretty huge chunk of HP. I think it ends up being like 90% or more. Most bosses are immune, but still!

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

a spooky ghost posted:

As Diablos levels up, it's actually a pretty huge chunk of HP. I think it ends up being like 90% or more. Most bosses are immune, but still!

I think he takes off a percentage of HP based on his level up to 9999. So in theory you can one-shot anything with less than 10,000 health that isn't a boss.

Of course, by then you can do that with a regular weapon attack, without the restriction on bosses so :jerkbag:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I realized that the voice in my head I use for Barret is the same as the one I use for Ray Smuckles of Achewood.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Mr Right posted:

I'm one of those strange people who really enjoyed FF8. I thought the GF's and their abilities were really fun, the card trading was a great mini-game and it's the closest I've came to completing a FF from the PS1 era.

I started FF7 a few months ago, got 10-15 hours in and stopped playing but this thread has encouraged me to pick it back up again. Thanks for the tips Elentor and it's been a great LP so far.

10-15 hours in is about the right place to stop, depending on how far that takes you. My usual advice to people is to quit after the Gold Saucer if they still aren't really into it, because it's all downhill from Midgar but pretty much everything up until Corel Prison is at least worth seeing.

This was alluded to earlier but the PSX-era Final Fantasy games are notorious for falling apart after 10-15 hours. I don't know if this is just part of having to build a narrative structure that can fill up 40-60 hours worth of content or what but, if you include Tactics, all four original PSX games have mind-blowing first acts and then completely unravel into incoherent poo poo soon after. FFVIII is probably the most noticeable and well-documented example of this trend so if you managed to stick with it through that you can probably get through VII, but personally I've only beaten it once and every time I make another go at it I give up before the second disc.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

OatmealRaisin posted:

I think he takes off a percentage of HP based on his level up to 9999. So in theory you can one-shot anything with less than 10,000 health that isn't a boss.

Of course, by then you can do that with a regular weapon attack, without the restriction on bosses so :jerkbag:

You can always tell who "got" the junction system in FFVIII based on whether they complain about constantly having to summon GFs or complain about one-shotting bosses with Squall's basic attack. :v:

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
This LP is amazing, and made me want to find one for FFVIII too (because *gently caress* replaying that POS). Someone mentioned a hilarious 8 LP, but I can't find it... anyone know where it is?

Dyeus
Apr 7, 2007

Orks iz da biggest and da strongest!
http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Woozy posted:

You can always tell who "got" the junction system in FFVIII based on whether they complain about constantly having to summon GFs or complain about one-shotting bosses with Squall's basic attack. :v:

Yeah, it amazes me that here we are like 11 years later and people still have not figured out how to use the Junction system right.

It's not "Draw 99 of x" that's for drat sure. Item refine, Card refine, all that? Absolutely.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Psion posted:

Yeah, it amazes me that here we are like 11 years later and people still have not figured out how to use the Junction system right.

It's not "Draw 99 of x" that's for drat sure. Item refine, Card refine, all that? Absolutely.

But then you need to pour over FAQs to figure out which items or Cards refine into anything useful, and then figure out where to GET those cards, then play the drat card game for hours, etc. It's tedious any way you do it.

Edit: And unless you get all your Cards in the first area, you have to deal with those loving randomly spreading rules. UGH, I hated that poo poo.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
Drawing 99 isn't so bad. You can literally just set the game to remember the last battle option picked and tape the X button down. Leave for like 10 minutes and everyone in your party is pretty much good to go. Refine the lower magic into the higher level stuff, maybe some items and duplicate cards (gotta have a whole set, man), and you're invincible.

Which is fun only briefly (or maybe not at all), and it ends up being one of the worst magic systems. People complain about the materia system in FFVII making every character basically identical in battle, but I've had so much more fun with it than any other job-based FF game before or since.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's the perfect example of "really easy if you know what you're doing". Problem is, if you know what you're doing, then you're already set for most video games anyway! It's just no excuse to say "game isn't poo poo, just do that and that and that and then it gets magically better" if there's no way of knowing all those steps. What the game tells you, as far as I know, is "draw them magic spells son", and that's the information you're getting. Maybe you'll refine an item or two, realize that you have no idea what refines into what and say gently caress it.

At least that would be how I'd have played the game. Haven't done so yet. Friend of mine keeps telling me I should because he loves seeing games broken. So question. I have the vaguest of ideas on how to break the game, having read the LP and following this thread, basically. Is it cool to go in and try poo poo out or won't I ever be happy without pouring over 10 FAQs first? The latter is what it sounds like and it sounds loving awful.

EDIT: Oh wait a second, that's not the general FF discussion thread. WONDER HOW I GOT THAT MIXED UP. Nobody answer, I'll take it over there or just dive in.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Leveling up in FF8 was pointless since the enemies leveled up with you. It was better to turn them into cards and refine them into items and spells. Faster then using Draw a million times. Game is still terrible though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woozy posted:

10-15 hours in is about the right place to stop, depending on how far that takes you. My usual advice to people is to quit after the Gold Saucer if they still aren't really into it, because it's all downhill from Midgar but pretty much everything up until Corel Prison is at least worth seeing.

This was alluded to earlier but the PSX-era Final Fantasy games are notorious for falling apart after 10-15 hours. I don't know if this is just part of having to build a narrative structure that can fill up 40-60 hours worth of content or what but, if you include Tactics, all four original PSX games have mind-blowing first acts and then completely unravel into incoherent poo poo soon after. FFVIII is probably the most noticeable and well-documented example of this trend so if you managed to stick with it through that you can probably get through VII, but personally I've only beaten it once and every time I make another go at it I give up before the second disc.

Once you reach halfway, the story becomes more or less like chess because the actors are already there.

Consider this - how many new characters do you usually meet in CD 2/3/4 of FFs?

With all things said, FF7 has a fairly coherent plot, which is sadly garbled by a dumb translation. I think I mentioned that FF7 is structured like a soap opera - the most striking feature of soap operas is that they have incredibly complex structures that is barely rivaled only by psychological thrillers, even though soap operas tell very simple stories. You even have similar elements. FF7 is that - a cyberpunk soap opera.

FF8 on the other hand just puzzled the hell out of me when I played. (FF8 Spoilers)What the gently caress? Edea is Cid's wife? A giant cube moving around? Monsters coming from outer space? A huge city that covers an entire continent and is invisible to the rest of the world?. The plot gets increasingly more bizarre and surreal, to the point where some dude theorized that Squall dies on the end of CD1 and in truth, the rest of the game is just his hallucinations during his final moments.

I also genuinely believe FF8's plot would be much, much, much better if Rinoa was Ultimecia as it would make everything sadder/more meaningful. I think, for all the hate FFX gets, they did that right in FFX with Tidus being just a dream.

Simply Simon posted:

EDIT: Oh wait a second, that's not the general FF discussion thread. WONDER HOW I GOT THAT MIXED UP. Nobody answer, I'll take it over there or just dive in.

I don't mind this kind of discussion as long as no one is arguing like in GameFAQs or doing a PYF that no one cares. Of course I'd prefer to have people talking about the LP but seeing people having reasonable talk about FFs in a FF7 thread is pretty much a wonder.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hey Elentor, got any more awesome Rio stuff to share with us in future updates? I miss learning. :(

I do, but there's only a limited amount of things I can talk about and I don't want to do all of them in Midgar. But don't worry I have some more stuff planned.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Dear Elentor,
Fandom!Secrets Thread, GO!

Best wishes,
RyuujinBlueZ

P.S. On the topic of your name, what does Elentor mean?

Oh god that thread no :cry:

Elentor doesn't mean anything. It was a fantasy name I used for a pen&paper RPG long before I even knew about SA, trying to think of something that wasn't too obviously tolkienian. I hate to disappoint but it's not a Brazilian name.

My real name holds no meaning in Portuguese either, mind that.

The White Dragon posted:

how the hell did i even get brought into this

It's just Screaming Idiot being Screaming Idiot and trying to fuel our nightmares.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 16, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, I'm only familiar with parts of FFVIII, but it really never struck me as terrible. A bit schizophrenic in the plot, but coming from a series that had already done things like "The Emperor summoned a tornado that is also a dungeon," "The Man on the Moon is pulling the strings," "the old man is an alien king," etc. I've always felt that you just go with the flow. Also, it has riverdancing, a legitimately cool card minigame, and a very sensible combat system (probably the second best next to FFII's "improve the stats you use the most" system). So what's the problem?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

But then you need to pour over FAQs to figure out which items or Cards refine into anything useful, and then figure out where to GET those cards, then play the drat card game for hours, etc. It's tedious any way you do it.

Edit: And unless you get all your Cards in the first area, you have to deal with those loving randomly spreading rules. UGH, I hated that poo poo.

You don't need to do any of that unless you're a champion min-maxer; it's easy enough to break FF8 irrevocably the first time you can take a few SeeD tests to score money to buy tents to refine into more powerful healing magic than the game expects you to have. Junction to HP and perma-limit break your way to Enc-None.

Also I'm pretty sure the game tutorial shows you Draw in a battle but then goes into no small detail on "and you can refine items, too." I think people remember Draw because they show you how it works in an actual fight, but it spends more absolute time on explaining refining. It's been a while but I went back to it a second time knowing not to Draw 99, and the tutorial is like "hey dumbshit, DON'T DRAW 99."

I won't pretend FF8 is perfect but it speaks more to player expectations that "it's an FF game I must painfully grind for everything" than it does to the actual game design which is "don't do that, jesus."

Patter Song posted:

So what's the problem?

Discs 3 and 4 never happened, FF8 owns

Admit the existence of those, sort of like the ALSO fictional Robocop 3? Wellllll...

Amidiri
Apr 26, 2010
On the subject of FF8, I can't fathom why anyone would keep drawing spells after their GF learns its first [X]-Mag-Ref skill. Like, wouldn't you go check to see what it does? Having learned what it does, wouldn't you realize that it's so much more efficient than drawing a ton of crap from everything you meet?

On the subject of FF7, the upcoming parts are some of my favourite in the game, because I have nostalgia of staying home from school sick and playing this part, in a nest of blankets and pillows, with my pet lovebird snuggling on my chest the whole time. :3:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I enjoy FFVIII a lot but that doesn't make it good. The characters are almost exclusively unbearable (except Laguna that guy kicks rear end), the plot is nonsensical (Leovinus hit on the most egregious example close to the end of the game and says it far better than I ever could, but it really is dumb as hell), and even the music is a huge step down from VII. I remember the first time I played it I was SO disappointed the first time I got into a boss battle because it sounded so crappy.

I do subscribe to the Rinoa=Ultimecia thing, just seems to make sense to me (well, more than "some random evil woman wants us all to die for some reason that we won't even try to explain", anyway).

It is by far the weakest of the PS1 FFs. Still a lot of fun though and I like how the monsters level with you, which eliminates a lot of the need for boring grinding that was sometimes necessary in VII (for me anyway, maybe I just don't play it right or something).

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

eating only apples posted:

I like how the monsters level with you, which eliminates a lot of the need for boring grinding that was sometimes necessary in VII (for me anyway, maybe I just don't play it right or something).

I liked that as well, but because I always seem to end up over-leveled just by playing normally. However, FF8 is so easy to break that it didn't seem to matter. I leveled everyone up to Lvl 100, just for kicks.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Amidiri posted:

On the subject of FF8, I can't fathom why anyone would keep drawing spells after their GF learns its first [X]-Mag-Ref skill. Like, wouldn't you go check to see what it does? Having learned what it does, wouldn't you realize that it's so much more efficient than drawing a ton of crap from everything you meet?

On the subject of FF7, the upcoming parts are some of my favourite in the game, because I have nostalgia of staying home from school sick and playing this part, in a nest of blankets and pillows, with my pet lovebird snuggling on my chest the whole time. :3:

Where were you when the Sector 7 plates fell? :911:

But yeah, super excited for the next few updates. Trying to avoid spoiler chat here but my favorite thing about FFVII is the pre-rendered artwork and some of the best examples of this are coming up. :dance:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Update should be coming tomorrow. I'm more or less finishing this piece of low-poly artwork in the meanwhile:

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Woozy posted:

This was alluded to earlier but the PSX-era Final Fantasy games are notorious for falling apart after 10-15 hours. I don't know if this is just part of having to build a narrative structure that can fill up 40-60 hours worth of content or what but, if you include Tactics, all four original PSX games have mind-blowing first acts and then completely unravel into incoherent poo poo soon after.

I dunno, I think FF9 delays the mental breakdown for longer than any of the others. For my money, it's pretty playable until they get heavily involved in the other world.

quote:

You can always tell who "got" the junction system in FFVIII based on whether they complain about constantly having to summon GFs or complain about one-shotting bosses with Squall's basic attack.

God, I am just replaying it for the first time since it released. I did not understand junctioning before. It is now unbelievably easy to play. Christ. Wish I'd paid attention.

EDIT - I didn't even know what Boost was the first time I played until I got horrifically stuck and a friend had to come round to bail me out. I thought he had hacked the game or something when he started hammering square.

mtrc fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 16, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FinalSin posted:

EDIT - I didn't even know what Boost was the first time I played until I got horrifically stuck and a friend had to come round to bail me out. I thought he had hacked the game or something when he started hammering square.

I'm the opposite. I had read so much about FFVIII and knew so little that I didn't know Boost had to be learned and I thought just hammering square would somehow make my GFs work better.

I told many people about this.

I was a dumb kid.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

Update should be coming tomorrow. I'm more or less finishing this piece of low-poly artwork in the meanwhile:

Pulse and Cocoon from FFXIII?

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
I love FF8, but pretty much in spite of itself. I like the Junction system. I enjoy some of the main characters and don't mind most of the others. Some of the plot twists, though....

Part of what I think messes FF8 up in terms of story is that it does something FF7 does also, only FF7 does it well: in both games you're given dialogue choices to shape the main character's perspective on certain other characters. If you play FF7 and find Aeris annoying, you can have Cloud be unresponsive to her. Or call her the slum drunk, whichever. In FF8, you can make choices that suggest Squall is exasperated with Rinoa and has no patience for his friends' obsession with matchmaking. The problem is that only in FF7 do your choices matter.

FF7 won't change its main plot for you but the character dynamics play out a little differently based on how you've made Cloud behave. FF8 won't play out differently at all. Come disk three, Squall's obsessed with Rinoa no matter whether he's been drawn to her all along or has tried to shake her off, and everyone he knows will be convinced they're Meant To Be. Put that together with the other plot weirdness and it's no wonder I've never made it past the start of disk three.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Pulse and Cocoon from FFXIII?

I dunno, I'm seein' that one scene from FFX, or possibly the creation of the crevasses in Grandia 2. But then it's probably completely unrelated and I'm just letting outside media interfere with what I'm seeing.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Which is why I never used him. Cool looking summon, but by the time he does good damage, I have better options.

FinalSin posted:

I didn't even know what Boost was the first time I played until I got horrifically stuck and a friend had to come round to bail me out. I thought he had hacked the game or something when he started hammering square.
I learned that whole hand vibration thing from boost. I blame FFVIII entirely for no one wanting to play Mario Party with me even though my step-brother kept getting the games. Also, one of my friends started playing it and I asked to see the controller as soon as he got boost on Shiva. I walked him into the forest and took out a T-Rexsaur or whatever by using a Shiva I kept boosting to around 170% damage on top of the elemental weakness the foe had. Then I told him, "And now you understand boost. Use it."

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Farseli posted:

Gravity magic damage is based on current HP. I believe Diablos' damage is based on MAX HP, which is why you can use him to kill enemies even if he's not level 100.

At least there was sort of a purpose to summons in FFVIII, whereas they're pretty much just more magic attacks in VII with a few exceptions. And one that's almost worse than useless. You know the one.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Nidoking posted:

And one that's almost worse than useless. You know the one.

I actually don't :confused:

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Farseli posted:

I learned that whole hand vibration thing from boost. I blame FFVIII entirely for no one wanting to play Mario Party with me even though my step-brother kept getting the games

gently caress yes. Boosted Ifrit up to 185 the other day. My wrists aren't what they used to be.

Also is the useless summon Tonberry by any chance? I hope it's not Carbuncle because I quite like that little fella.

EDIT - Oh, FFVII summons. I see.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I haven't the faintest idea which one you're talking about. They all seemed pretty good to me. Then again, there's probably at least one that I missed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

VIII had Doomtrain, which means it had the best summon in the series, so there's that.

plus Laguna's limit break is the best in the series.

Even if you hate VIII you have to admit both of those are facts, so.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Boost is way too much effort compared to all the other ways you can totally break the game from basically the first area on. :colbert:

By the way, is it okay to talk about Nomura in this thread or has the bitching about chains and buckles pretty much been explored as far as it can go by now? I really liked the character designs FFVII and the distinct colored-pencil style and it seems like he's been taking two steps backwards ever since. :(

Edit: Useless summon is SPOILER KotR because it takes forever to do what you could have done in three turns anyway.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Psion posted:

VIII had Doomtrain, which means it had the best summon in the series, so there's that.

plus Laguna's limit break is the best in the series.

Even if you hate VIII you have to admit both of those are facts, so.

I'll definitely admit that Doomtrain was awesome. I wish more games allowed me to summon a train to run my enemies the gently caress over whenever I pleased.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Woozy posted:

Edit: Useless summon is SPOILER KotR because it takes forever to do what you could have done in three turns anyway.

Wait, what? It doesn't change the fact that it still takes only 1 game turn and KotR deals like 120K damage :colbert:

A more useless combination would be 4x Bahamut Zero. I used it back when I was stupid, cast it and go make a sandwich. Eat it, digest and go poo poo it out, when you've finished the animation will be like halfway done.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Oh also this thread got me to try the game out on my Droid since I was very surprised to discover that cell phones can play Playstation games now. The FMVs on the tiny screen look great, so portable is where it's at by far for this game.

• Locked thread