Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jeratain posted:

Here's my current situation:

Current Phone: Palm Pre-
Issues: The phone requires a headset or speakermode. Cant use as a normal phone. Resets randomly. Jittery. Keyboard isn't responsive (doesn't recognize space bar half the time).

Choice 1: Nexus S 4G
Pros: SAMOLED screen. Good looking and sleek (I prefer its looks to the EVO). Vanilla Android with guaranteed updates. Good performance. NFC (I live in the Bay Area, so I can use it in SF potentially).
Cons: Cheap feeling. Older internals, though not obsolete. Weird button layout.

Choice 2: HTC Evo 3D
Pros: Amazing specs. qHD SLCD screen. Future-proof (good radio selection)? Better button layout.
Cons: So-so battery life. Sense (I am not a fan and will root the phone and put vanilla Android on it). 3D - It's useless and ruins the 2D aspect of the screen. Camera is not great in 2D mode.

Really what it boils down to for me are the screens between the two devices. Will I notice a substantial difference between a qHD SLCD vs. an SAMOLED?

I would wait until I could get hands on with the EVO 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

That engadget review is poo poo. 14 hours with all of the radios on (which I'm assuming means 4g too) is absolutely fantastic. We have had a review unit at my store since Tuesday and so far its a kick rear end phone. Everyone plays with it constantly, mostly using 3d stuff and its at 50% at the end of the day.

I also don't get what problems people have with the buttons. They work great for me.

Finally I don't get why they say sense is bad. This version of sense is great. I know it was lovely on the hero due to the hardware but it loving flies on the 3d.

As far as 3d stuff goes if you never want to use it you don't. Its not really forced on you.

Couldn't have said it better. If you have an Evo it isn't the BIGGEST upgrade, but for those with Heros and Pres, this is the phone to upgrade to, I would do it.

I honestly really like the Nexus S as well, and would still say between the 2 it is personal choice. Hold both in your hand, see which one feels better to you. Sense 3.0 is good enough to replace Stock Android for me (and I have been a CM user since the G1), so either way is fine, and I think we can anticipate both phones getting updates for the next year. Either way, with a Pre now is a good time to upgrade.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 16, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What about the claim that the 3D screen layer makes the regular 2D screen somewhat blurry? Have you noticed anything like that?

Not one bit.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chappy posted:

Not one bit.

If I were to go into a Sprint store that (for the sake of argument) had a review unit, and ask them if I could see it, what are the chances they would oblige? Or is it a strictly employee's-eyes-only sort of thing?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

If I were to go into a Sprint store that (for the sake of argument) had a review unit, and ask them if I could see it, what are the chances they would oblige? Or is it a strictly employee's-eyes-only sort of thing?

It all depends on your store. My current store is anal about it but my previous one couldn't give two shits.

Your best bet is to find a rep and to tell them you are about to port in 5 lines from vzw and you will come see them on launch day if they let you sneak a peek.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

It all depends on your store. My current store is anal about it but my previous one couldn't give two shits.

Your best bet is to find a rep and to tell them you are about to port in 5 lines from vzw and you will come see them on launch day if they let you sneak a peek.

Haha this is also going to break someone's heart!

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

Couldn't have said it better. If you have an Evo it isn't the BIGGEST upgrade, but for those with Heros and Pres, this is the phone to upgrade to, I would do it.

I honestly really like the Nexus S as well, and would still say between the 2 it is personal choice. Hold both in your hand, see which one feels better to you. Sense 3.0 is good enough to replace Stock Android for me (and I have been a CM user since the G1), so either way is fine, and I think we can anticipate both phones getting updates for the next year. Either way, with a Pre now is a good time to upgrade.

Yeah, I have the Nexus S, and I actually love how it feels. I had a Droid X prior to swapping to Sprint (hard to beat the employee deal) and it is so much lighter! Something to keep in mind with the Nexus S though are there's some legitimate complaints about it, but you honestly get it with any phone. I hate the vendor-made UIs and bloatware, so it was a no brainer for me (I never got into rooting my phones). I also didn't have the choice of the Evo 3D, though, which definitely makes the decision harder. As I said previously I wasn't a huge fan of the screen. So I'd still probably go with the Nexus S.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I really hope we get a back cover with a kickstand for the 3d at some point, I don't care if it's 3rd party or whatever. This is like the one phone where you want to keep it in a very narrow field of view and that'd be

This is the case I'm currently getting, as seeing what's happened to my ipod touch after being caseless for 3 years, I think that I sure as hell need something http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-AMZ91364-Luxe-Argyle-Gloss/dp/B0053G6FPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308282534&sr=8-3

change my name fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 17, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

At least one 3rd party cover with a kickstand has been linked in this very thread. It comes in black, it may someday come in white, but I don't know if it will ever come in hipster.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Was it a case with a kickstand or a back battery cover with a kickstand? Because I meant that I wanted a back cover.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My bad, full body case.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Sprint posted:

Our apologies, but there was a typo in the spec sheet for EVO 3D. The correct feature should read: capture video up to 720p and playback up to 1080p on both 2D and 3D.

That's surprising. Not that big a deal in my opinion, still an awesome phone.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I finally talked my wife into upgrading her phone. She wants to stick with a $30 sero plan. How is the replenish? She's upgrading from a clamshell that can handle 10 txt messages before having to delete one to get the next, doesn't do pictures or anything. Our roommate has an old reclaim that she uses as an alarm clock, but I'd like to get my wife on android. (the replenish works without the $10 smart phone fee right? I heard rumors that it does't)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It doesn't need the $10 smartphone fee, but someone over at sprintusers was denied from activating it on $30 SERO just a couple of days ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you need to at least go to $40 SERO-P.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

change my name posted:

I really hope we get a back cover with a kickstand for the 3d at some point, I don't care if it's 3rd party or whatever. This is like the one phone where you want to keep it in a very narrow field of view and that'd be

This is the case I'm currently getting, as seeing what's happened to my ipod touch after being caseless for 3 years, I think that I sure as hell need something http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-AMZ91364-Luxe-Argyle-Gloss/dp/B0053G6FPU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308282534&sr=8-3

I'm torn, because I do want some sort of kickstand case, but I also really want to wait for Incipio to come out with their feather case for the 3D. I also have considered saying gently caress it to a case and just getting the dock.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
Ok, I have a kind of complex account/upgrade question.

My fiancee and I want to merge our lines into a family account. She's been with Sprint for 10+ years so she's a Gold Premier member. I've been with them for around 7 and I'm currently a Silver Premier member.

She last used her upgrade over 2 years ago to get a Touch Pro. I used my last upgrade in April 2010 to buy a Moment (stupid). Then I bought an Epic off contract on launch day (stupid x2) and gave her my Moment.

We both want to get Evo 3Ds when they come out. My questions are:

-Would we both now have Gold Premier status since we'd be merging on to her account?

-Do I have to worry about an Early Termination Fee since my account is still in a 2 year contract (I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have to since we're staying with Sprint)?

-We should get the full upgrade discount for her phone, but can I get the full upgrade discount for mine? Do I need to do any additional leg work? (like calling in and getting my upgrade reset?)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

Ok, I have a kind of complex account/upgrade question.

My fiancee and I want to merge our lines into a family account. She's been with Sprint for 10+ years so she's a Gold Premier member. I've been with them for around 7 and I'm currently a Silver Premier member.

She last used her upgrade over 2 years ago to get a Touch Pro. I used my last upgrade in April 2010 to buy a Moment (stupid). Then I bought an Epic off contract on launch day (stupid x2) and gave her my Moment.

We both want to get Evo 3Ds when they come out. My questions are:

-Would we both now have Gold Premier status since we'd be merging on to her account?

-Do I have to worry about an Early Termination Fee since my account is still in a 2 year contract (I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have to since we're staying with Sprint)?

-We should get the full upgrade discount for her phone, but can I get the full upgrade discount for mine? Do I need to do any additional leg work? (like calling in and getting my upgrade reset?)

I can answer this!

She's definitely eligible for an upgrade, its been 2 years. You are possibly eligible for an upgrade under theSilver Premier override, although no guarantees, I would have to check. Regardless, call the retentions line listed in the OP and tell them your phone is sucking and driving you insane, can you please get me an upgrade? Also bitch about losing the yearly upgrades. They should bump your upgrade.

Definitely upgrade your line before switching to under her name. You would both become Gold, but only the primary line on Gold gets yearly upgrades, so that is moot. Upgrade, then you can do a Transfer of Liability, which takes your phone number, contract etc and moves it to under her name. No fees for that. All you do is called *2, say transfer of liability, they will know what to do. Note in terms of monthly discounts if she has one it sticks, anything you have goes away, they will no longer qualify it.

PM me if you want me to check on anything, but that in general would be the way to go about it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Hey Duckman, I just sent you another rambling and overly complicated PM. Sorry! :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Hey Duckman, I just sent you another rambling and overly complicated PM. Sorry! :(

Not rambling or complicated, I will check it out.

But to repeat for anyone who has the silver premier upgrade, the promo technically goes till June 30th. Most times once the override is run and you are listed as eligible, it stays that way. But this is a unique situation, so I wouldn't make a guarantee either way. I would say it is likely to stay eligible, but who knows.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I finally used the EVO 3D yesterday.

All I can say is "Meh"

Sense 3.0 is beautiful, and the features are pretty cool, but I have Sense 3.0 on my EVO (although admittedly it obviously is a lot smoother on the 3D).

The 3D is stupid and pointless.

I actually prefer the aspect ratio of the EVO rather than the 3D.

Oh and every time I hit the power/lock button, I accidentally push the camera button.

The overall build is a lot better than the EVO.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Mahoning posted:

What's the aspect ratio like? Is it like the Shift where it's taller but narrower relative to the Evo?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Evil Crouton posted:

What's the aspect ratio like? Is it like the Shift where it's taller but narrower relative to the Evo?

It's 16x9 like Motorola's Droids or an HDTV instead of 16x10 like a traditional widescreen display.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Evil Crouton posted:

In short (pun intended), yes its taller and thinner.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Mahoning posted:

How does the qHD SLCD screen compare to the SAMOLED on the Nexus S 4G?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
It occurs to me that I guess I'm glad I never bothered buying the HDMI cable for my EVO since HTC appears to have already abandoned that connection type.

Unrelated-- amidst all the Nexus 3 rumors, do we know yet which manufacturer will be proving the hardware? I had heard LG speculated a while back, but I guess it could really be anybody.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

Duckman2008 posted:

I can answer this!

She's definitely eligible for an upgrade, its been 2 years. You are possibly eligible for an upgrade under theSilver Premier override, although no guarantees, I would have to check. Regardless, call the retentions line listed in the OP and tell them your phone is sucking and driving you insane, can you please get me an upgrade? Also bitch about losing the yearly upgrades. They should bump your upgrade.

Definitely upgrade your line before switching to under her name. You would both become Gold, but only the primary line on Gold gets yearly upgrades, so that is moot. Upgrade, then you can do a Transfer of Liability, which takes your phone number, contract etc and moves it to under her name. No fees for that. All you do is called *2, say transfer of liability, they will know what to do. Note in terms of monthly discounts if she has one it sticks, anything you have goes away, they will no longer qualify it.

PM me if you want me to check on anything, but that in general would be the way to go about it.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll give that number a try. Anything to get rid of these piece of poo poo Samsung sin machines.

We're going to be out of town at a wedding on launch day. Where would I have the most luck finding an EVO 3D a few days after launch?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)

brc64 posted:

It occurs to me that I guess I'm glad I never bothered buying the HDMI cable for my EVO since HTC appears to have already abandoned that connection type.

Unrelated-- amidst all the Nexus 3 rumors, do we know yet which manufacturer will be proving the hardware? I had heard LG speculated a while back, but I guess it could really be anybody.

There's rumor saying it'll be HTC or LG. I like HTC and judging from the Optimus I really wouldn't mind owning a high end LG phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

All I can say is "Meh"

Sense 3.0 is beautiful, and the features are pretty cool, but I have Sense 3.0 on my EVO (although admittedly it obviously is a lot smoother on the 3D).

The 3D is stupid and pointless.

Oh and every time I hit the power/lock button, I accidentally push the camera button.

The overall build is a lot better than the EVO.

Last sense 3.0 I used for my evo was virus and it just ran like poo poo. Curious on what you are running, I did really like sense 3.0?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

TheBlackMallard posted:

There's rumor saying it'll be HTC or LG. I like HTC and judging from the Optimus I really wouldn't mind owning a high end LG phone.

The Optimus G2X is pretty hot. I can't imagine an actual GOOGLE PHONE coming from them sucking. I'd almost rather have them make it than HTC.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jeratain posted:

How does the qHD SLCD screen compare to the SAMOLED on the Nexus S 4G?

It doesn't. Definitely nicer than the EVO's screen in terms of resolution, but the color saturation and everything is virtually identical to the EVO. Just doesn't compare to the vibrance of SAMOLED.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, you need to at least go to $40 SERO-P.

Well, that sucks. I was looking at the online shop and logged in it still says, "Special Offer: Monthly required $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is waived for savings. Not transferable to other devices." Does that matter at all?

I get a discount through my work(walgreens) and I know those aren't applicable to the sero plan, but can they be used on actual handsets and things?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 17, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The $10 fee is on top of SERO-P. SERO-P just allows you the use of non-SERO approved devices (aka anything nicer than WinMo 6.5) but you still need to deal with the $10 premium fee.

$50/line for SERO-P + premium data is, essentially, letting single-line users get the same price you get with 4-5 people with EPRP + :10bux: fees splitting a family plan.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The $10 fee is on top of SERO-P. SERO-P just allows you the use of non-SERO approved devices (aka anything nicer than WinMo 6.5) but you still need to deal with the $10 premium fee.

$50/line for SERO-P + premium data is, essentially, letting single-line users get the same price you get with 4-5 people with EPRP + :10bux: fees splitting a family plan.

I thought SERO-P people didn't have to pay the $10 fee because that's what the "premium" part was. Did that get changed?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought SERO-P people didn't have to pay the $10 fee because that's what the "premium" part was. Did that get changed?

SERO-P lets you use non-SERO devices. You then need to pay the additional $10 for smartphone data.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

plester1 posted:

SERO-P lets you use non-SERO devices. You then need to pay the additional $10 for smartphone data.

Aren't smartphones the non-sero devices? :confused:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aren't smartphones the non-sero devices? :confused:

There's some stuff in between that isn't on SERO but also doesn't count as a smartphone. None of them are worth having.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

The recent Nexus S and Google Voice events are making it look good for Sprint, but there's no guarantee on carriers or even if it will come out in Q1 2012. The complete uncertainty on release date is really my main motivator for the 3D. That plus the CEO saying they'll unlock it.

I think I've outgrown the "just around the corner" syndrome. Or I can justify selling the 3D in 8 months and getting the Nexus 3 off contract.

Mahoning posted:

It doesn't. Definitely nicer than the EVO's screen in terms of resolution, but the color saturation and everything is virtually identical to the EVO. Just doesn't compare to the vibrance of SAMOLED.

That's par for course. It's really too bad Samsung can control the market on SAMOLED. I'm guessing they're having issues bumping to qHD since they passed on it for the SGS2 in favor of dropping pentile. Or they can make a bigger profit using cheaper displays and most people won't notice. Hell, their GPU will push better numbers at a lower resolution too. The Optimus S performs as well as it does partially because of the low res screen.

I'm really looking forward to qHD for web browsing and remote desktop since those seem to be places where I end up scrolling around the most.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I know I'm going to sound crazy for this, but I prefer non SAMOLED screens. SAMOLED looks almost fake to me. There's just something about it I really do not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chappy posted:

I know I'm going to sound crazy for this, but I prefer non SAMOLED screens. SAMOLED looks almost fake to me. There's just something about it I really do not like.

Not really, it's definitely different. What I can't stand 120Hz LCD TVs, they look absolutely fake to me.