Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
That video sucked. Her worst video yet to date, and I thought she couldn't get any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I stayed up til 3am for this?

I still love the song though.

King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
Good luck Vigilant Citizen, you won't find a poo poo.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
No her worst one is Eh Eh. I mean this isn't the best, but it's definitely not the worst.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Loved it. I'm sick of her over the top crazy videos. Excellent change of pace. Very Paula Abdul.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

It felt like it was eventually going to go somewhere, but it never did. For such a large sounding song, the video blew. I heard she fired her director mid-shoot and used the Haus for this video. Jesus Christ, I don't think any of them knew how to work a camera let alone set up a shot. The camera was just flying around the whole video, half the time her lips didn't sync up with the music, and the set was weak and uninteresting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPJ-o1leAw

I liked this Lady Gaga-Google Chrome video a lot better, especially the shots of her running on the bridge. That had an epic feel to it, not this babbage that the Haus of Gaga directed.

Gaga, I'm disappointed.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
Lady Gaga Attacks Stairs - Directed by Kiely Williams

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
I got this claustrophobic feeling while watching the video; I kept waiting for her to DO something or GO somewhere, instead of just staying in the same place the whole time. There was not even a cool coreography :saddowns: Just random prancing around.

Terribly uneventful considering the song is so large sounding, as Burn Zone said.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kids barely aware of 80s videos angry at video that very much is an 80s video for a song that is so 80s, it has a Laffer Curve. News at 11.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well that answers the question of what brought on Clarence Clemmon's stroke.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

She looked fantastic but nothing happens....she just walked around. Such a disappointing video :( I was expecting something more emotional, something about her grandfather, maybe pictures, I dunno, SOMETHING....It looked VERY rushed and stupid and pointless. :(

I'm sad because this song had the potential for an epic video. I don't mean epic in the "telephone 10 minute movie" sense, I just mean something heartwarming and emotional. It would've been great. Oh well, she's allowed to fail sometimes.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 23, 2013

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
Eh, it's certainly not her best video, but I kinda liked it.
I hope she continues to do a few more short, simple videos; then, for the last single of the album, we can be really blown away by a 45 minute short film for Bloody Mary or something.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Kids barely aware of 80s videos angry at video that very much is an 80s video for a song that is so 80s, it has a Laffer Curve. News at 11.

You know what other video also came out in the 80s?

This one :colbert:

Nah, seriously, I get what you mean. But even the simplest of 80s video would feature the performer doing SOMETHING instead of awkwardly going back and forth from the stairs to the sidewalk. And there is no excuse for the terrible camera work.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Pretty funny how Laurieann Gibson is now trending on twitter because monsters are angry about her voicing her disappointment on Twitter. Was she fired too or something? DRAAMAAAAAAAAAAAA.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 17, 2011

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

Oh well, she's allowed to fail sometimes.

I wouldn't say it is a failure. Pretty low key compared to her other ones but it was still a nice serviceable video, 80s feel, good atmosphere. Can't have a massive epic video for every song.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

I wouldn't say it is a failure. Pretty low key compared to her other ones but it was still a nice serviceable video, 80s feel, good atmosphere. Can't have a massive epic video for every song.

Well the thing that makes me sad about this is that apparently we were going to.

Not sure who this guy is but he clearly knew some inside information, since he tweeted these quotes six hours before the video premiered:

"A very cool concept driven cinema piece was turned into a complete solo performance at the last minute."
"The entire art department also has the right to be upset considering the massive sets they built that didn't get used."
"Ya know what? When you see the video, just realize it could've been a whole lot better with an actual story line. Now its Gaga"

I would totally buy the whole "this video is just about simplicity, about Gaga and the music", if she actually went the whole way with it. Just give me Gaga, a spotlight, and a microphone stand. The way this turned out though, is just...generic.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I don't know, I really enjoyed it. It was a nice change of pace from her epic videos, although I admit that I was waiting for it to go somewhere.

I almost felt like the part where she sings about dancing in the flame (or something similar) was an homage to the scene with the staircase in Rent, and the scene where she dances around a lightpost felt like another homage.

Just a fun video about a cute girl.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sf0rzando posted:

Well the thing that makes me sad about this is that apparently we were going to.

Not sure who this guy is but he clearly knew some inside information, since he tweeted these quotes six hours before the video premiered:

"A very cool concept driven cinema piece was turned into a complete solo performance at the last minute."
"The entire art department also has the right to be upset considering the massive sets they built that didn't get used."
"Ya know what? When you see the video, just realize it could've been a whole lot better with an actual story line. Now its Gaga"

I would totally buy the whole "this video is just about simplicity, about Gaga and the music", if she actually went the whole way with it. Just give me Gaga, a spotlight, and a microphone stand. The way this turned out though, is just...generic.

Yeah it seems that something went down during the video's making, I also read quotes about casting that they did, and it turns out it's really just her, but whatever, the video works.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

fuseshock posted:

Pretty funny how Laurieann Gibson is now trending on twitter because monsters are angry about her voicing her disappointment on Twitter. Was she fired too or something? DRAAMAAAAAAAAAAAA.

She wasn't fired but if I recall right she told some people to "gently caress off" because they were being really nasty about the video. So now the internet being what it is, everyone decided to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

I'm really very fine with the video being simple. I think another big complex video would make her seem like all she has in her is big spectacles. I feel like some people would be down with like, speechless, if it was done as a big over blown production.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the video was underwhelming but not bad. It's just, if I had the chance to listen to just the song or watch the video, I'd go with just the song. With something like Judas, the video kind of enhances the experience.

I really did like how she was styled in this, though. Outfit and hair and makeup were pretty great, and I normally don't care for the thick eyeliner.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
I don't think anyone's upset that the video is "simple", but rather that nothing at all happens. She doesn't really interact with anyone, there's no loose semblance of a plot. It's just Gaga doing the same thing over and over for 5 and a half minutes, and it's really, really dull. I mean, I can forgive that for a normal three and a half minute 80s music video, but for something almost twice as long, and for a song with such a grand sound, I just expected more. There could have been an implied storyline, and it could still be simple-- Most music videos have plots, hell, a lot of music videos have choreography too. This had neither.

As an aside, I watched it with my sister, and she kept saying the whole time that she was trying to be Mimi from RENT, if only subconsciously. When she got on the ground with her legs bent and spread she was just like "SEE, SHE'S MIMI." So who knows, maybe Gaga is an avid Rent fan too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

angerbeet posted:

If that man does not fully recover...

:negative:

EDIT: I hate most videos that try too hard to tell a story (aka most of Gaga's) but yeah, this video is boring as hell.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 17, 2011

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.

Thrust On Moore posted:

I don't think anyone's upset that the video is "simple", but rather that nothing at all happens. She doesn't really interact with anyone, there's no loose semblance of a plot.
Its a music video from the 80's it doesn't need a plot. It reminded me of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean video. Just him prancing around on lights.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Trousers! posted:

Its a music video from the 80's it doesn't need a plot. It reminded me of Michael Jackson's Billy Jean video. Just him prancing around on lights.

Billy Jean had a story

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I quit watching it halfway through. Oh well, that song is nowhere near one of my favourites. :(

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So moving forward, do we have any idea on how many videos she plans to do from this album? What videos would you like to see? I haven't really listened to the whole album, let alone the B-sides but I'm hoping it's a dancy one.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I actually loved it because of the Breakfast Club reference (she pumps her fists like Bender about mid-way through; I took this as a nod to all the people talking about the song feels like it should belong at the end of an 80's coming-of-age flick) and the backdrop was actually fitting of her persona. Also, her outfit was sexy as gently caress.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Bloody Mary would be great, but she's probably heading away from that direction now. Someone mentioned Americano for completing the Paparazzi-Telephone trilogy, which would be pretty great.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That was quite possibly the most boring music video I've ever seen.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
My answer to that is blatantly Americano.

With bandito backup dancers.

Bad Kids is the second on my list.

Highway Unicorn seems like it should get one, but honestly I wouldn't care if it didn't. Honestly though I want everything to get a video. Just all the videos she can handle.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Trousers! posted:

Jackson did that a lot, apparently. According to my mother watching a guy dance in front a green for four minutes used to be the poo poo.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

Yeah my reaction to this is the same as the Judas video - she REALLY needs to start working with real directors again. All the outfits and concepts and dance moves are wasted if they're not presented in a coherent and visually interesting way. (For someone who makes so many Kubrick and HItchcock references, you'd think she'd have a better understanding of this.)

And the camera work in this is so bad I really can't tell if it was intentional or what. Almost every shot is shaky or out of focus. Gah!

Please work with Jonas Ackerlund or Francis Lawrence again.

Also her outfit makes me think of Gina Gershon in Showgirls (that's the only positive thing I have to say).

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
And that is how you make a bad video.

We went from Telephone to this?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

She looked hot and the outfit was great but that was just boring.

Nothing has trumped Telephone yet.

Dreamlogic posted:

And the camera work in this is so bad I really can't tell if it was intentional or what. Almost every shot is shaky or out of focus. Gah!

Please work with Jonas Ackerlund or Francis Lawrence again.

Also this.

e:

Made this since that's what came to my mind immediately when seeing that.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 17, 2011

pettifogged
Nov 5, 2008
Wow, that was really...boring and pointless. Just feels like amateur hour at Haus of Gaga. I liked her hair/outfit though, but the whole video felt like it had been put together in about an hour by people who had no idea what they were doing. Disappointing. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Angryhead posted:

She looked hot and the outfit was great but that was just boring.

Pretty much every Gaga video just lends further credence to my idea that people that find her ugly do so because she wants them to.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jesus, this feels like they had six hours, a backlot, some lights and gels and a camera.

I get that between this and the album cover she's going for a home-made feel, but that only works if there's something charming or personal behind it. This is just a generic music video, only made incompetently.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

angerbeet posted:

I told the exact same joke in Gagadaily chat moments after release, people became outraged and I got banned so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
To preface this: Judas is by far my favourite Gaga video. I think she blows Bad Romance out of the water with it.

That said, this one is pretty bad by her standards. If it was a Katy Perry song everyone would probably think it's one of her best and be all over it, but it isn't Katy Perry and people expect more. She should have at least fallen off the top of the building or something at the end. It just didn't have anything for 5 whole minutes.

It really feels like there were major problems and this got thrown together last-minute, and I suspect that the fact that it wasn't initially supposed to be a real single has something to do with the lack of any substance to this video.

She does look amazing in it though.

• Locked thread