Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pagan posted:

It's a cool looking bike, and I certainly approve of boobs on youtube... But the turning radius and ergonomics look horrible. I bet a full on race bike is more comfortable in the long run than that thing.

It's a dancing bear. You're not supposed to be impressed that it works well, you're supposed to be impressed that it works at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The old video shows it a bit more truthfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivPheV77JcU

It's nice that he made a tron bike and all but maybe he should try 20mph first before he starts talking about 120.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont get why people dont get that the Tron bikes arent actually a good bike design. They are a COOL bike design, arguably one of the coolest, but they dont translate to the real world well at all. Same goes for the Akira bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Phat_Albert posted:

I dont get why people dont get that the Tron bikes arent actually a good bike design. They are a COOL bike design, arguably one of the coolest, but they dont translate to the real world well at all. Same goes for the Akira bike.

Because, if reading local forums is any indication, a large percentage of people who actually ride motorcycles don't even understand how they work. To the average person it's magical that the bike tips over but doesn't fall.

Front brake and counter-steering explanation threads are always :psyboom:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
someone brought a new toy to work

Is a chopped bobber single with a leather belt holding the battery on CA enough for you?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I wonder how well the Akira bike would work. It seems like the recumbent position would throw a lot of things off, but OTOH, recumbent bicycles work pretty well in real life. It does look amazing.

I've heard that the Bat Pod wasn't that bad, either. Took a lot of steering effort, but it wasn't as hard to drive as it looks.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Pagan posted:

I've heard that the Bat Pod wasn't that bad, either. Took a lot of steering effort, but it wasn't as hard to drive as it looks.

Yeah, the U-turn radius matched the diameter of the wheel.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Yeah, the U-turn radius matched the diameter of the wheel.

Actually, now that I've watch the videos on this page http://www.gizmag.com/batpod-ps-pod-replica-road-motorcycle/15875/ of the replica... it looks like a nightmare. It takes him almost three lane-widths to make a simple right hand turn.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Handiklap posted:

someone brought a new toy to work

Is a chopped bobber single with a leather belt holding the battery on CA enough for you?

1 Brain bucket + -1 front brake = :master:

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

1 Brain bucket + -1 front brake = :master:

+ antiquated rear drum brake = :ughh:

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

That's not a brain bucket, it's a cup to protect you from parts falling off the engine.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a Japanese engine(suzuki?), not an American one. That thing will run til he has to lay 'er down into a bus.

Deleting the front brake is just common sense, since it'll throw you over the bars anyways.

Spydre
Mar 21, 2007
It's a Suzuki Savage 650. I only know, because I had one as my first bike. I've been debating turning mine into a bobber just for kicks, but I don't know if I could get rid of the front brake like that guy, haha.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Slim Pickens posted:

It's a Japanese engine(suzuki?), not an American one. That thing will run til he has to lay 'er down into a bus.

Deleting the front brake is just common sense, since it'll throw you over the bars anyways.

The whole geometry is like a loving right triangle - I'm not sure even a pole in the spokes could could give you enough momentum to clear the bars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

Got any links?

Hook a brother up, I need a good laugh :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hah, I'm poking thru looking for examples but I think most of the braking ones are single posts of "But I thought using the front brake would make me flip over the bars?" and the like. There's one on panic braking in this riding tip forum below, but it's mainly little squabbles over how much rear brake. Here's a counter steering thread where 1 or 2 people have a grip on bike physics and how they turn at speed, half of them vaguely understand counter-steering and half of them decide "gently caress it, it works".

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=76151

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It seems like most of them are thinking in terms of a statically balanced stationary bike and not a dynamically balanced moving bike, of course it won't work when you think about it like that, you need the forward movement and rotating wheels. Still not that hard to understand, dammit.

But the front brake = dangerous thing I'll never understand. It's like people are convinced it'll kill you if you as much as look at it and they're too afraid to see what happens if they use it :psyduck:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like the people that refuse to touch the front brake at any point during a corner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I like the people that refuse to touch the front brake at any point during a corner.

I refuse to touch the front brake during corner exit. :colbert:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is it cause your front wheel is already at 10 o-clock?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Gnaghi posted:

The old video shows it a bit more truthfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivPheV77JcU

It's nice that he made a tron bike and all but maybe he should try 20mph first before he starts talking about 120.

I seriously doubt that bike is capable of 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, and if it is, I seriously doubt anyone is capable of making it do so.

content

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL has the AMA Superbike series this weekend. We've had a nasty storm roll through today, but it looks to be clear for the races this weekend.

Photos from Barber's facebook page from today's practice and qualifying:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Surprised this hasn't been posted here since it's been circulating around lately.

You can drag knee? Sweet!
You can drag toe? Awesome!
You can drag elbow? Amazing!

But can you drag helmet? :smug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ov43cWkYIA#t=1m4s

Though even aside from that, the video is pretty cool. The lead bike and cameraman are both pretty quick riders.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
In case not everyone is following the MV Agusta F3's development as closely as I am, you can now hear what it sounds like.

Stationary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3njWWstci8
Moving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqHhxZBlmg

:swoon:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

Ugh I love race bikes so much

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Pagan posted:

Actually, now that I've watch the videos on this page http://www.gizmag.com/batpod-ps-pod-replica-road-motorcycle/15875/ of the replica... it looks like a nightmare. It takes him almost three lane-widths to make a simple right hand turn.

Excuse the horrible horrible video, but this is the wheel radius u-turn I was thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3t41Y0EJ8w

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Localforums strike again: http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?13039-couple-of-minutes-on-275...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MNB5xKu8g

I'm about to call him out...prepare for all the negative reps coming my way

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That video was kinda boring anyway, it was slow for a cannonball run and there were no real corners.

Ps. It's squidly as hell, but I kinda love this as a street riding hooliganism video. Dude is hauling rear end and obviously well within a comfortable pace for himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOZVxheOXw

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 18, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Being a dick to people, yeah. But he didn't endanger them or him and was pretty drat amazing so it's almost forgivable. Almost...if you were someone on the road that day you would have been annoyed.

...Like the video I posted. I guess I'm feeling like an old man because I don't act like an rear end in front of cars and on the highway? I guess its not as bad as many, I'm more disappointed that he cuts and edits a video of stupid poo poo for a forum so people can go "wow bob".

nsaP fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 18, 2011

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

More here.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

BlackMK4 posted:

That video was kinda boring anyway, it was slow for a cannonball run and there were no real corners.

Ps. It's squidly as hell, but I kinda love this as a street riding hooliganism video. Dude is hauling rear end and obviously well within a comfortable pace for himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOZVxheOXw
I've always loved this video. I like how at about 1:48 you can see his rear tire step out juuuust a little bit. Right before he goes into a power wheelie :haw:. If you go to the Gap on a week/weekend there isn't a WERA race it's likely you'll see him up there.

Don't try that at home though, kids...that bike has full Ohlins and he runs NTECs up there.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Because, if reading local forums is any indication, a large percentage of people who actually ride motorcycles don't even understand how they work. To the average person it's magical that the bike tips over but doesn't fall.

Yeah, I've been contemplating starting a "Stupid things you've overheard about motorcycles" thread, and this is the nudge I need I think.

KozmoNaut posted:

The front brake = dangerous thing I'll never understand. It's like people are convinced it'll kill you if you as much as look at it and they're too afraid to see what happens if they use it :psyduck:

I think they've probably all jammed the front brake on a speeding bicycle before, and have zero conception whatsoever of what the weight of a motorcycle actually does to change the braking dynamics.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The big thing everyone who is afraid of the front brake overlooks is WHY would manufacturers put a front brake on if it was really a death sentence?

Thats like manufacturers including a piece of rebar with the bike so you can jam it in your spokes while at speed.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

The big thing everyone who is afraid of the front brake overlooks is WHY would manufacturers put a front brake on if it was really a death sentence?

Thats like manufacturers including a piece of rebar with the bike so you can jam it in your spokes while at speed.

I knew my bike's Previous Owner forgot to include something.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boat posted:

I think they've probably all jammed the front brake on a speeding bicycle before, and have zero conception whatsoever of what the weight of a motorcycle actually does to change the braking dynamics.

I've gone over the bars on my bicycle as a kid a couple of times, but because of ATGATT I just got back on and tried again.

It's not like modulation is even that hard. Some people...

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

KozmoNaut posted:

I've gone over the bars on my bicycle as a kid a couple of times, but because of ATGATT I just got back on and tried again.

It's not like modulation is even that hard. Some people...

Sorry but I'm really laughing at the thought of a kid going ATGATT on a bicycle. If you did that poo poo in the hood I grew up in youda got your poo poo jacked just to teach you a lesson (about how gear is for sissies I guess). Not that I think it's a bad idea, cause I think it's good. But I think I knew maybe one kid who even wore a helmet on a bike. My brother split his head open pretty nicely once though so yeah that's probably a better lesson.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

drat gubbmit regulations makin em :arghfist:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Pictures in the picture thread! Barber Motorsports Park AMA Superbike race parking lot:

CBX with a Suzuki front and rear end.

So hot!

The perfect pair for daily riding and weekend fun.

Cool Yamaha streetfighter.

Moto Guzzi Le Mans; very sexy in person.

This is for Marv. UJMs in the wild!

Suzuki 2 stroke 750 aka Water Buffalo.

Honda SOHC Four.

Everyone's first bike.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
This guy is the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkKtxLsPCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris