Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Heard of it, but the plot on Wikipedia threw me for a loop and left me thinking, "Uhh, nah..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Chortles posted:

How does Homeworld hold up though? I've been considering looking into that, Freespace, Privateer 2, and heck, any other "hi-fi" trading sim game.

Look into X3, there is a great active thread. You can live out your space trading/pirating/commander fantasies. The graphics are nice, and the universe is pretty big. Oh, and Steam summer sale is soon, I would expect to see that on sale for like $5.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Fil5000 posted:

Hey guys - I was having a clearout of all my stuff and went through my PC games. Take a look at this lot:

*picture of awesome games*

I swear, late 90s/early 00s was some kind of halcyon period for me and PC gaming. gently caress, now I have to try and get Privateer 2 working...

The good old days. Well...actually the early 90s were the good old days. Those games are part of the twilight of PC gaming before just about every PC release became a buggy console port.

Bonus points for having the best Command & Conquer though. I want to play Homeworld now too.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Charles Martel posted:

The good old days. Well...actually the early 90s were the good old days. Those games are part of the twilight of PC gaming before just about every PC release became a buggy console port.

Bonus points for having the best Command & Conquer though. I want to play Homeworld now too.

The best command and conquer? Man, I was a huge c&c fanboy, and even I thought Tiberian Sun was bad.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I haven't played it in many years, but isn't Homeworld more of a RTS in space with 3D movement? Kinda like Sins of the Solar Empire (minus the 3D movement part).

In any case, I recommend X3 as well. Amazing game with an incredible selection of mods that greatly improve it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Kashwashwa posted:

The best command and conquer? Man, I was a huge c&c fanboy, and even I thought Tiberian Sun was bad.

It's probably nostalgia talking since I received it as a gift back then and it's the first one I played. Still, I didn't think any game in the series was bad, though there are some better than others.

I need to dust off my copy of The First Decade here and play them again, but :effort:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Charles Martel posted:

Still, I didn't think any game in the series was bad

4 was an affront to humankind.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Phuzun posted:

Look into X3, there is a great active thread. You can live out your space trading/pirating/commander fantasies. The graphics are nice, and the universe is pretty big. Oh, and Steam summer sale is soon, I would expect to see that on sale for like $5.

That's the game where the name of the evil alien race is pronounced "cock," right? So everyone in the game says "cock" a lot?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's the game where the name of the evil alien race is pronounced "cock," right? So everyone in the game says "cock" a lot?

It's Kha'ak, pronounced that way (read: not cock).

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

That's a great collection of old games. I still have quite a few of those, but I lost my copy of "Rogue Spear" YEARS ago now. I really enjoyed using the breaching charges on that game... does it still work with Windows 7?

Also: by "clearout" do you mean you're getting rid of these?

I'm pretty sure I remember getting Rogue Spear to work about a half a year ago when I went on a rainbow six binge. but I could never get #1 to work, and all the internet gave me was some cryptic answers about editing the registry.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

One day Valve will do CS2. Probably before HL3 ;)

I keep wondering what the hell is going on with this. Didn't the creator of CS work them for awhile then leave to do his own thing? CS2 seems like a no brainer and I don't agree at all that Call of Duty has replicated that experience. Googling it turns up info like three years old, is this project dead or something?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chortles posted:

Heard of it, but the plot on Wikipedia threw me for a loop and left me thinking, "Uhh, nah..."

Try it - if you like Carrier Command you will like it.

Man, I just realised my copy of Mechwarrior 3 isn't in the pile. Now I have to go hunting again.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I can't find the First Time Playing Tips thread, but maybe I'm idiot. Still, I'll ask it here.

I've finally gotten around to playing Bioshock for the first time, and while I'm already pretty far (doing the Research Photography mission now, so not that far) I'm hoping I'm not doing anything overly stupid.

I'm not especially concerned, since I've heard many, many good things and the game is pretty much perfectly to my liking so far, perhaps there are some dos and don'ts I should know about.

Please, please, please keep it spoiler free because I've been intentionally evading any and all Bioshock 2/Infinite information. I want to give myself the best experience possible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Taeke posted:

I can't find the First Time Playing Tips thread, but maybe I'm idiot. Still, I'll ask it here.

I've finally gotten around to playing Bioshock for the first time, and while I'm already pretty far (doing the Research Photography mission now, so not that far) I'm hoping I'm not doing anything overly stupid.

I'm not especially concerned, since I've heard many, many good things and the game is pretty much perfectly to my liking so far, perhaps there are some dos and don'ts I should know about.

Please, please, please keep it spoiler free because I've been intentionally evading any and all Bioshock 2/Infinite information. I want to give myself the best experience possible.

The thread is a wiki now: BeforeIPlay.com.

The Bioshock page is pretty thorough, but really, the game is very linear and doesn't require much if any long-term planning, so it's hard to screw up. It's pretty easy to figure out which upgrades suck and which are reliable, and picking up a few subpar choices definitely won't ruin your enjoyment (pretty much every weapon or plasmid is a viable tool of the trade), nor will being less than zealous with hacking and photographing. Worst case scenario, once in a while you'll have to actually use the VitaChamber free respawns instead of reloading.

The only exception is "don't kill Sander Cohen the first time you get the chance". Which I would actually amend to "the first time you get the chance to kill Sander Cohen, save the game, kill him because it's a TRULY beautiful fight, then reload and move on".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So apparently FEAR3 is locked to 30fps, according to the internet.

:sigh:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

The thread is a wiki now: BeforeIPlay.com.

The Bioshock page is pretty thorough, but really, the game is very linear and doesn't require much if any long-term planning, so it's hard to screw up. It's pretty easy to figure out which upgrades suck and which are reliable, and picking up a few subpar choices definitely won't ruin your enjoyment (pretty much every weapon or plasmid is a viable tool of the trade), nor will being less than zealous with hacking and photographing. Worst case scenario, once in a while you'll have to actually use the VitaChamber free respawns instead of reloading.

The only exception is "don't kill Sander Cohen the first time you get the chance". Which I would actually amend to "the first time you get the chance to kill Sander Cohen, save the game, kill him because it's a TRULY beautiful fight, then reload and move on".

That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I bookmarked the wiki (and will share it with my friends).

Thank you very much. :)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a reason they do this? On PC? What is the point?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, it's called "Lazy Console Port".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

KakerMix posted:

I know this is going to sound broken recordish, but I really think its the truth: it's probably because the game is a console port and they don't want to spend too much effort on the PC version.

Because there really is no good reason to do that for the PC.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Liberatore posted:

It's Kha'ak, pronounced that way (read: not cock).

That depends on region. Where I live, it's a long A in both words, and X3 is endlessly entertaining (for mental children).

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How the mighty have fallen...

Such a shame that a series that had a great start on the PC (from a technical/hardware standpoint) is now a lazy console port. No doubt the graphical options will simply be "low, med, high" and what resolution you want.

vvvvv Developers like CDProjekt and DICE still give me hope. :unsmith:

Rukus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 18, 2011

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Rukus posted:

Such a shame that a series that had a great start on the PC (from a technical/hardware standpoint) is now a lazy console port. No doubt the graphical options will simply be "low, med, high" and what resolution you want.

If you're not used to it by now, get used to it.

:smith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rukus posted:

vvvvv Developers like CDProjekt and DICE still give me hope. :unsmith:

I was so excited for the first fear and bought it back when I could only play it on low :(

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rukus posted:

CDProjekt

I'm going to be surprised if the eventual Witcher 3 isn't a mediocre console port after 2 comes out for the 360 and easily oversells the PC version.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

GUI posted:

I'm going to be surprised if the eventual Witcher 3 isn't a mediocre console port after 2 comes out for the 360 and easily oversells the PC version.

It's my understanding that they're gonna be using the RED Engine (Witcher 2's) for the next game. However, while it is possible for that they could launch the third game on the PC and 360 at the same time I don't think they have the resources to do so. They wanted to for the second game but decided to focus on the PC version and then port it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Internet is wrong apparently, so say someone who works for Day 1. Console version is locked at 30 but the PC version is not.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Hey guys - I was having a clearout of all my stuff and went through my PC games. Take a look at this lot:

I swear, late 90s/early 00s was some kind of halcyon period for me and PC gaming. gently caress, now I have to try and get Privateer 2 working...

Disc on the far right: gently caress you. A friend took mine with him when he moved interstate and never seen it since :(

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
Was wondering why all of a sudden I need to run certain programs on windows 7(64bit) in admin mode, otherwise the application cannot write to my hard disk. For instance winrar kept saying permission denied until I ran it in admin mode. My usenet program also would not create folders or write to disk until it was in admin mode.

Any ideas?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

VodeAndreas posted:

Disc on the far right: gently caress you. A friend took mine with him when he moved interstate and never seen it since :(

TIE fighter? Yeah, still awesome. I'm going to try and get SEAL Team working today, even though I know I'm going to be horribly disappointed.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fil5000 posted:

TIE fighter? Yeah, still awesome. I'm going to try and get SEAL Team working today, even though I know I'm going to be horribly disappointed.

Seal Team rules. I could never get my head around it but the drawn briefing screen was awesome. A Seal holding his M16.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

Seal Team rules. I could never get my head around it but the drawn briefing screen was awesome. A Seal holding his M16.

My favourite part was changing between the different years to get different parts of the SEAL team chant.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Speaking of old PC games, if anyone has figured out a way to get Theme Hospital to run full-featured, and completely normal on a modern system, please let me know...

I've tried the steps from this site, and it just doesn't work (I get messed up colors, lots of lag, and then it crashes):
http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...-7-support.html

The game also doesn't work in Dosbox.

I'm seriously thinking about building an old system to run this thing.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I ordered a new, shiny GeForce GTX 460 yesterday in an effort to try and help me get through my enormous backlog of games. I can't wait for it to get here.

PC Gaming! :pcgaming:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think the next time I upgrade from my 4890, I'll buy two 6950s and upgrade them to 6970s and put them in crossfire. This will be probably next year. Good idea or bad idea?

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the next time I upgrade from my 4890, I'll buy two 6950s and upgrade them to 6970s and put them in crossfire. This will be probably next year. Good idea or bad idea?

It's getting pretty difficult to find flashable 6950s. Besides, why plan a year in advanced when hardware changes so quickly? Just buy a single best bang for your buck card when you are ready to buy.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd say it's a bad idea. A year from now you'll be able to buy a single card with that much power.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What would you do with dual 6970s anyway? Triple monitor gaming? The 6850 is fine up to 1920x1080 resolutions, dual 6970s would probably just be louder and hotter than a 6850 with not a lot of benefit.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
As others have said, unless you won the lottery and have an extra couple hundred bucks to wipe your rear end with, just go with one fast card. In my experience from everything I've read and heard about them, it's not worth the mediocre performance boost in the amount of games that actually support it. Buying a new/better monitor, more RAM, new games, or even a new keyboard would be more beneficial if you just had to put that money into your PC, in my opinion.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

How much of a performance boost would I get from going from a dual-core to a quad-core CPU? My machine with a dual-core Athlon X2 and a Radeon 4670 pretty much handle every game I've thrown at it pretty decently. It tends to chug when there's alot of fog effects or shadows though. I always turn off the HDR and post processing effects because they eat frames and they tend to rob the games of color as well.

I'm wondering if I get a better boost from upgrading my card or cpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

How much of a performance boost would I get from going from a dual-core to a quad-core CPU? My machine with a dual-core Athlon X2 and a Radeon 4670 pretty much handle every game I've thrown at it pretty decently. It tends to chug when there's alot of fog effects or shadows though. I always turn off the HDR and post processing effects because they eat frames and they tend to rob the games of color as well.

I'm wondering if I get a better boost from upgrading my card or cpu.

Lots of games are cpu-bound these days. I had a GTX 460 and a Core2Duo E7200 at 3.2GHz, and The Witcher 2 didn't run well at all. Picked up a quad core AMD at 3.4GHz and it runs like a dream now.

Bad Company 2 also runs perfectly now, and the CPU is pretty important since the game is completely filled with thick smoke 100% of the time.

Also your video card is pretty old nowadays so maybe you should upgrade that too. HDR and post processing has nothing to do with the CPU, so if that stuff makes a game run slowly it's the video card's fault.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 18, 2011

• Locked thread