Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dual cards have always been a stupid gimmick for the ultra rich with little to no jumps over single cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm wondering if I get a better boost from upgrading my card or cpu.

There are some games out there that benefit from a quad core, but generally you'll see better framerates by upgrading that video card.

The sweet spot for upgrading right now is either a Radeon 6850 or an nVidia GTX460 with a gig of ram. I'd go with the GTX460 because this deal right here is pretty sweet.

You need to take your power supply into account when you make this decision. The nVidia card needs more juice than the Radeon. Use this PSU Calculator to figure out what your current PSU can handle.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Charles Martel posted:

I ordered a new, shiny GeForce GTX 460 yesterday in an effort to try and help me get through my enormous backlog of games. I can't wait for it to get here.

PC Gaming! :pcgaming:

I got one of these in February and its great so far plus its a great overclocker to boot. :pcgaming:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vertigus posted:

Lots of games are cpu-bound these days. I had a GTX 460 and a Core2Duo E7200 at 3.2GHz, and The Witcher 2 didn't run well at all. Picked up a quad core AMD at 3.4GHz and it runs like a dream now.

Bad Company 2 also runs perfectly now, and the CPU is pretty important since the game is completely filled with thick smoke 100% of the time.

Also your video card is pretty old nowadays so maybe you should upgrade that too. HDR and post processing has nothing to do with the CPU, so if that stuff makes a game run slowly it's the video card's fault.

Battlefield BC2 is kinda a weird outlier as it has an engine specifically designed for multiple cores, whereas many games don't.

Starhawk64, best test is if you drop the resolution, do the games still chug? If so, you're CPU bound, if not, you're GPU bound.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

spasticColon posted:

I got one of these in February and its great so far plus its a great overclocker to boot. :pcgaming:

That's the word on the street from what I've read. I went for a less expensive EVGA "reference clock" model instead of a gimmicky Superclocked one and have EVGA Precision and Driver Sweeper at the ready (switching from an ATI card I'll probably sell off).

Also, I cleaned off my desk to give it it's regular dusting and I decided that my Fellowes gel mouse pad has run it's course. I just ordered one of these in it's place.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kashwashwa posted:

Speaking of old PC games, if anyone has figured out a way to get Theme Hospital to run full-featured, and completely normal on a modern system, please let me know...

I've tried the steps from this site, and it just doesn't work (I get messed up colors, lots of lag, and then it crashes):
http://digiex.net/downloads/downloa...-7-support.html

The game also doesn't work in Dosbox.

I'm seriously thinking about building an old system to run this thing.

Try using VirtualBox to create a proper Windows 95 virtual machine (or 98SE, more likely). The OS shouldn't be hard to find in various :filez: sites.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
A friend of mine (IRL) launched the wrong game on Steam. The game? Titan Quest. Suffice it to say we both got sucked back in.

The modding scene has really come a long way since I last played.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Try using VirtualBox to create a proper Windows 95 virtual machine (or 98SE, more likely). The OS shouldn't be hard to find in various :filez: sites.

Also, if you have a friend with MSDNAA access, you should be able to get a copy off of them, IIRC. At the very least, they should have access to DOS.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Vintersorg posted:

Dual cards have always been a stupid gimmick for the ultra rich with little to no jumps over single cards.

Wait what? Hang on lemme just dig up a benchmark.

http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/11

Check it out, two cards almost doubles performance. Who would have thought. And you don't have to be ultra rich to afford dual cards. A decent entry level SLI mobo can be had for less then $100 and two nice cards for right about $400. This typically out performs one high end card handily, which typically run $100 to $200 more then the mid-range SLI solution.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Battlefield BC2 is kinda a weird outlier as it has an engine specifically designed for multiple cores, whereas many games don't.

Yeah it definitely takes advantage of multi-core processors, and I wonder how many games don't use multiple cores that would really be better off doing so, even if they're not adding extra effects and such.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Vertigus posted:

Yeah it definitely takes advantage of multi-core processors, and I wonder how many games don't use multiple cores that would really be better off doing so, even if they're not adding extra effects and such.

BC2 also has some of the weirdest and most hosed up performance out of any game I've ever played, so definitely not the best one to benchmark in.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So apparently FEAR3 is locked to 30fps, according to the internet.

:sigh:

I've never played the Fear series, but I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come from other developers. I just bought a 120hz monitor a couple of months ago and if games are going to be locked at 30, or even 60, fps, due to everything becoming a console port, I mine as well just throw it in the trash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FYI apparently FEAR 3 is not locked to 30fps.

It still looks bad, and it isn't made by Monolith, though.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Red Faction: Armageddon is a bad version of Guerrilla, but an absolutely amazing version of any straightforward shooter you've played recently. If it wasn't in the shadow of previous Red Faction titles, everyone would be slobbering over it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

Red Faction: Armageddon is a bad version of Guerrilla, but an absolutely amazing version of any straightforward shooter you've played recently. If it wasn't in the shadow of previous Red Faction titles, everyone would be slobbering over it.

I'd actually argue that the second point is a mediocre linear shooter with a "destroy/rebuild" gimmick. I agree with the first part though.

:colbert:

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/15/wot-i-think-red-faction-armageddon/

quote:

Red Faction: Armageddon is extraordinary. No game has ever offered such destruction, let alone on such an epic scale. It’s ability to let you use the environment itself as your primary weapon is unsurpassed. The sense of sheer power, and constant, remarkable devastation, is a treat. Red Faction Armageddon, however, makes one big mistake: Red Faction Guerrilla.

From the mouth of the bitterest RPS writer.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/15/wot-i-think-red-faction-armageddon/

From the mouth of the bitterest RPS writer.

I mean I know what the guy's getting at but I can't help but point out that Red Faction: Guerilla is one game that offered such destruction on an epic scale. The destruction in Armageddon was kind of disappointing since most of the game was so confined.

The game gives you some really cool tools, like the magnet gun, but it doesn't give them room to breath and let the player experience their real potential.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Vertigus posted:

I mean I know what the guy's getting at but I can't help but point out that Red Faction: Guerilla is one game that offered such destruction on an epic scale. The destruction in Armageddon was kind of disappointing since most of the game was so confined.

The game gives you some really cool tools, like the magnet gun, but it doesn't give them room to breath and let the player experience their real potential.

It isn't Guerilla, you mean. There's a whole market for highly polished, engaging, linear manshoots. This is one of them. The problem is that it is the sequel to an open-ended GTAesque manshoot.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Starhawk64 posted:

How much of a performance boost would I get from going from a dual-core to a quad-core CPU? My machine with a dual-core Athlon X2 and a Radeon 4670 pretty much handle every game I've thrown at it pretty decently. It tends to chug when there's alot of fog effects or shadows though. I always turn off the HDR and post processing effects because they eat frames and they tend to rob the games of color as well.

I'm wondering if I get a better boost from upgrading my card or cpu.

I used to have an Athlon X2 6400+ with a 260 GTX and that poo poo chugged to all hell in Bad Company 2. About 20-30 fps no matter the settings. I'd upgrade both to be honest, but going to an i5 750 based system with the same card tripled my framerate in BC2 and TF2.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

It isn't Guerilla, you mean. There's a whole market for highly polished, engaging, linear manshoots. This is one of them. The problem is that it is the sequel to an open-ended GTAesque manshoot.

Well I was disappointed in two ways. First, it wasn't Guerilla. Second, it wasn't that great for a corridor shooter. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the game clearly had some real love poured into it and there are many great parts, but I only started having fun with it about halfway through. That's when the game throws you into some cool vehicle segments, lets you pilot the mech more (one of the best sequences is when you take it through a building that's just a little bit too small for a giant mech to blunder around in), brings the human enemies back, and generally gives you more ways to wreak havoc on a large scale. Until then, you're spending hours taking potshots at aliens that teleport and leap around instead of crushing them like the bugs they are.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Vertigus posted:

Well I was disappointed in two ways. First, it wasn't Guerilla. Second, it wasn't that great for a corridor shooter. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the game clearly had some real love poured into it and there are many great parts, but I only started having fun with it about halfway through. That's when the game throws you into some cool vehicle segments, lets you pilot the mech more (one of the best sequences is when you take it through a building that's just a little bit too small for a giant mech to blunder around in), brings the human enemies back, and generally gives you more ways to wreak havoc on a large scale. Until then, you're spending hours taking potshots at aliens that teleport and leap around instead of crushing them like the bugs they are.

I remember the first half as using the magnet gun to gleefully squash bugs.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

I remember the first half as using the magnet gun to gleefully squash bugs.

Well then we probably both would've loved it if the whole game was like the second half :(

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Zoolooman posted:

Weren't Red Faction 1 and 2 both linear corridor shooters with destruction as well?

If so it's not really Armageddon being the odd one out, Guerilla was just an attempt to do something different with the series then Armageddon is a return to it's normal form, just with a different viewpoint.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Weren't Red Faction 1 and 2 both linear corridor shooters with destruction as well?

If so it's not really Armageddon being the odd one out, Guerilla was just an attempt to do something different with the series then Armageddon is a return to it's normal form, just with a different viewpoint.

Yeah but Guerilla was a way better game than the first two so that's where the problem comes in, and I even liked the first Red Faction a whole lot.

Plus Armagedoon could have been done better, like I pointed out earlier.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Alright pc gamerz, quick accessory question incoming. I have used the Logitech G7 for many years now. Hell, I've owned three (including this one) just because I couldn't get a replacement for when the previous two finally bitched out. Anyway, I know the MX-518 is really good, but is there a wireless version of it? I noticed it has the same body style as the G7, so what I'm really asking is, has anyone owned a G7 and moved onto another wireless Logitech mouse that felt just as good? I was looking at the G700 but I wonder how much more of a difference it would make to my older G7.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jawtramp posted:

Alright pc gamerz, quick accessory question incoming. I have used the Logitech G7 for many years now. Hell, I've owned three (including this one) just because I couldn't get a replacement for when the previous two finally bitched out. Anyway, I know the MX-518 is really good, but is there a wireless version of it? I noticed it has the same body style as the G7, so what I'm really asking is, has anyone owned a G7 and moved onto another wireless Logitech mouse that felt just as good? I was looking at the G700 but I wonder how much more of a difference it would make to my older G7.

Listen, friend. I've been on the same search as you. I had a G7 that started tracking really piss poorly, and much to my dismay when I was looking for a replacement, they had stopped being manufactured and the only people selling them were doing it for like $300. I've bought and returned multiple different wireless mice from varying brands. And you know what? Not a single goddamn one of them has compared to the G7. Some are "good enough" like the Razer Mamba, but the price is hideous and the scroll wheel makes this annoying as hell squeaky sound.

I'm pretty sure the hand of the divine was guiding the Logitech engineers that designed and built the G7. There is no other explanation.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jawtramp posted:

The G400 comes out tomorrow. I'd get that since you don't really need wireless.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Node posted:

Listen, friend. I've been on the same search as you. I had a G7 that started tracking really piss poorly, and much to my dismay when I was looking for a replacement, they had stopped being manufactured and the only people selling them were doing it for like $300. I've bought and returned multiple different wireless mice from varying brands. And you know what? Not a single goddamn one of them has compared to the G7. Some are "good enough" like the Razer Mamba, but the price is hideous and the scroll wheel makes this annoying as hell squeaky sound.

I'm pretty sure the hand of the divine was guiding the Logitech engineers that designed and built the G7. There is no other explanation.

I loved my G7, but once the reciever died and I still wanted a wireless mouse moved onto the MX1100 - not in their 'gaming' line, but very comfortable and accurate, and has that fast scroll wheel function which is while largely irrelevant still useful. And 2 button switch able DPI settings if you're into that.

It's bigger than the G7 though and a bit of a different shape, so I'd try and see/feel one first if you were to consider it.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
I enjoy wireless, that's my personal preference. The G7 spoiled me, and I dread the day when this one dies. Rarely, I will have to unplug and plug back in the receiver because it will lose connection. The G400 looks exactly like the G7, but I'm looking for something wireless. The MX1100 looks comfortable, but it's just one of those "how does it feel" cases. I'll probably still lean towards G700, but those are good suggestions.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The MX Revolution is not bad but the MX518 is pretty much the best wired mouse ever.

I did try Razer a bit and their poo poo sucks dwarf cock and is overpriced.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
Are there any decent MMO's out right now other than WoW.. or should I wait for SW: TOR?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

unterdude posted:

Are there any decent MMO's out right now other than WoW.. or should I wait for SW: TOR?

RIFT is pretty much WoW with better graphics and some neat gimmicks, I enjoyed with for the week or so I played it. but now i am pretty much done with mmos until they think of something new gameplay wise.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

unterdude posted:

I wouldn't even bother waiting for The Old Republic. I've yet to hear anyone who's played/seen that game say anything positive about it. And if the if one of the most talked about bullet-points of that game is "All dialog is voiced?", a feature no MMO player is looking for, then I don't hold much hope for it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wouldn't even bother waiting for The Old Republic. I've yet to hear anyone who's played/seen that game say anything positive about it. And if the if one of the most talked about bullet-points of that game is "All dialog is voiced?", a feature no MMO player is looking for, then I don't hold much hope for it.

That's not really true. Check the thread in the MMO sub-forum.

Unlike every other beta I have seen, nearly everyone involved with beta thinks it's a quality product and virtually ready for release.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Funso Banjo posted:

That's not really true. Check the thread in the MMO sub-forum.

Unlike every other beta I have seen, nearly everyone involved with beta thinks it's a quality product and virtually ready for release.

These are also generally the same people who wholeheartedly supported every failed MMO out there at some point or another, sooooo........

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Glad I spent all that money on a new PC so that I can play upcoming games like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwhvqFEKVAk

:negative:

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Creepy Goat posted:

Glad I spent all that money on a new PC so that I can play upcoming games like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwhvqFEKVAk

:negative:

It is depressing to look at, but kids who wanna learn how to make a game gotta start somewhere. It's actually like a PS1 game ripped out of 1996 and thrown into a modern engine.

RE: THEME HOSPITAL

I created a VMWare Windows 98 and 95 on my system and theme hospital still didn't work. Then after all that work, I ended up finding a link in a yahoo answers question about the game that takes you to a modern engine that runs in windows 7, and it works beautifully.

https://code.google.com/p/corsix-th/

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Bought a Logitech G110 keyboard to replace this Saitek. If it didn't have USB audio & media keys/volume I'd have smashed it by now. Its a piece of poo poo. The backlight is weak. It feels cheap and its not the usual logitech quality. It's a piece of poo poo. It's a piece of poo poo. I kind of just want to smash it with a sledgehammer and get a Razer BlackWidow.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You don't like the quality of something so you want to get a Razer product? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
What about Filco?

• Locked thread