Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Momomo posted:

My problem with that trainer is the same I have with Advent Children, the designs aren't terrible because they're just plain, black clothes. Then of course, you get to that mysterious woman at the end, and it goes back to classic Nomura.

That King guy has a loving awesome suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Waffleman_ posted:

Final Fantasy XIII, vXIII, and Type-0, then called Agito XIII were all part of a series known as Fabula Nova Crystallis. None of them had poo poo to do with each other, but Square insisted on putting them in some kinda metaseries. Agito was then removed and made its own thing and now it seems XIII-2 is taking its place.

I have no idea why they are bothering with XIII-2. Was there a call for this? Really, who wanted it. : l

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
XIII-2 (god that looks so retarded typing that out), was apparently created because when they made XIII, they made an absolute ton of stuff for the game, so much so infact, that they could fill another game. Which they did...rather than fine tuning the game they already had...

tl;dr:
More :10bux::signings::10bux: for Square-Enix.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
I guess it was easy enough to draw a really, really long straight line. :sigh:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Feels like I should watch more of the XIII LP considering how awful everyone seem to think it was, I mostly grew bored by the first two-three videos linear-tutorial-that-goes-on-forever. Which is supposedly another 30 hours of the game, which got to be some kind of record game design feat in itself. Which, all things considered, shouldn't be elicit *worse* emotions than the kind I got from playing the later half of FFVIII or X.

Right.

:ohdear:

I mean, how can a game about a black man and his 'fro be bad?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 18, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Claverjoe posted:

So Final Fantasy "Versus" XIII is supposed to be an apology for the "real" Final Fantasy XIII? I mean, why not call it XV and call it a day?

It's had a... troubled history. It was announced at the same time as XIII back in about 2006. They never even bothered showing any screenshots or footage of the game up until a year or two ago. It's basically Final Fantasy's own Duke Nukem Forever in the amount of time it's taken to show anything, and it's still going to be another year or two before it comes out.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Count Bleck posted:

:aaaaa:

What a change of pace, for once we're going to have a main character that isn't a whiny little bastard? Yesss.

There are some pictures and videos where it shows Noctis hanging out with a bunch of other guys like you would in real life so yeah

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pimpmust posted:

I mean, how can a game about a black man and his 'fro be bad?

I'll give you the crib notes version:
I'd say XIII's biggest problem was that it was a game trying to be a fifty hour movie, and then remembering that it had to be a game again at points.

The plot required reading supplimentary (but ingame) material to understand it (a big no-no), the playable characters ranged from the usual FF levels of cool, tolerable and obnoxious. Their own motivations often aren't interesting enough to carry the plot, and/or shoe-horned in at every opportunity.

The antagonists barely featured in the plot and never gave a real sense of menance or threat. The world, while very pretty, railroads you down a linear path with only slight deviations. And the average cutscene rate is once every five minutes, and each cutscene is at least that long. And the fact that you don't really get the full use of the playable cast and their unique abilities until a very very long time into the game.

*phew* There, that's pretty much all the complaints about that game in a nutshell.

[E]:
You make that metaphor sound delicious.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 18, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'll give you the crib notes version: :words:

Let me condense it further.

Imagine someone gives you a cake. Not just any cake, but the most eye-wateringly beautiful cake you've ever seen. To gaze upon this cake is to know perfection, so incredible is it to look at. But when you go to cut a slice, you find out it's actually a cardboard box, completely hollow inside. And the person who gave you the cake takes great offence when you point out how empty it is.

FFXIII is one of the most amazing games to look at on a current system. But there's little to it past the graphics.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Let me condense it further.

Imagine someone gives you a cake. Not just any cake, but the most eye-wateringly beautiful cake you've ever seen. To gaze upon this cake is to know perfection, so incredible is it to look at. But when you go to cut a slice, you find out it's actually a cardboard box, completely hollow inside. And the person who gave you the cake takes great offence when you point out how empty it is.

FFXIII is one of the most amazing games to look at on a current system. But there's little to it past the graphics.

Worst part? Versus XIII looks like it's going to look even better, so XIII doesn't even have that claim to fame.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

What, do you hate FFXIII's music or something? For shame.

I hated FFXIII, but its battle theme will be stuck in my head until the ends of time when all life has stopped. Forever.

Edit: I should be more specific about which battle theme I meant.

These two mostly but all the music in this game is good. Graphics and music. That's what FFXIII had going for it. Yup.

Square seems to have some of the best composers in the business, though, there's also this remake of the Blinded By Light that I simply adore.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 18, 2011

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I hated FFXIII, but its battle theme will be stuck in my head until the ends of time when all life has stopped. Forever.

These two mostly but all the music in this game is good. Graphics and music. That's what FFXIII had going for it. Yup.

Square seems to have some of the best composers in the business, though, there's also this remake of the Blinded By Light that I simply adore.

So they basically just smashed together Defiers of fate and Blinded by light?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Uh, what weird-rear end version of FF9 did you play where Zidane was not the greatest?

In the version I played, Zidane was goddamned Goku. :argh:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Please. Don't start this all over again. You have made your opinion clear, and you obviously haven't bothered to read The White Dragon's LP of ff9. Don't do this. Don't.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, FFXIII has a gorgeous soundtrack and stunning visuals (and even a good battle system), but little else.

I am, however, cautiously optimistic about FFXIII-2 considering they are making a lot of changes to the formula and it looks pretty fun.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Man, I enjoyed XIII overall. Guess I'm in the minority. Also, Tidus is awesome, I dunno what anyone is thinking when they say he sucks. :colbert:

(Do I have terrible tastes? Possibly!)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

PunkBoy posted:

Man, I enjoyed XIII overall. Guess I'm in the minority. Also, Tidus is awesome, I dunno what anyone is thinking when they say he sucks. :colbert:

People will say you have terrible taste, but they're wrong.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

Nobody kicks out of the brainbuster!!

Reno completely no sold it. Who does he think he is, Hulk Hogan? :rolleyes:

Also, the audio for this should totally play whenever Tifa hits it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq1sugcporc

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 18, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Count Bleck posted:

It's not that I hate it, it's that none of it has stuck in my head at all. If I think about it, I can hum at least one piece of music from most of the FF games, except for XII and XIII. Say what you will, but for me, the music was so utterly forgettable in both of those, and since the music's usually the first thing that catches me (seriously, give me a good OST and I'll play through your game no matter how crappy it is), I wouldn't call that a good sign.

PunkBoy posted:

I don't hate him as much as everyone else if that counts. It helps that I despise Yuna's voice actress more than anything, so she takes much of the flak off him.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Uh, how? I mean, he had that trance thing, I guess, but if that's all it takes then there must be a fuckton of Gokus out there.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

I enjoyed XIII as well. I can see all the criticism and I understand it all completely, but that didn't stop me from actually enjoying it. It's nowhere near my favorite in the FF series, but I had a lot of fun. (I think it's mostly because I played it when I was really burnt out on sandbox/open-world style games.)

XIII also had a great soundtrack, but was marred by its lack of the Victory Fanfare. :argh:

Dauntasa posted:

Uh, how? I mean, he had that trance thing, I guess, but if that's all it takes then there must be a fuckton of Gokus out there.

He really REALLY doesn't like the game and wants everyone to know it (no one cares)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

It's the tail. Kinda silly to hate a character because of that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Goku had a tail?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lance Streetman posted:

They were also both alien children sent to a distant planet to destroy it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Momomo posted:

They were also both alien children sent to a distant planet to destroy it.

I don't think he played far enough to find that out.

VVVVWell never mind then. Also, thanks for spoiling the game for anyone who hadn't played it or read the LP.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

Zidane spoilers! :aaa:

A goofy alien monkey-man sent to the planet in his youth to eventually destroy it with his disproportionately large super powers, but was instead discovered and raised by natives into the planet's kind-hearted protector. Kuja was Thong Vegeta and Garland was Geezer Freeza. :v:

Lance Streetman posted:

I don't think he played far enough to find that out.
VVVVWell never mind then. Also, thanks for spoiling the game for anyone who hadn't played it or read the LP.

I beat IX. Yeah, like nobody's been spoiling VIII or even the game this LP is about, right?

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 18, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Zidane spoilers! :aaa:

A goofy alien monkey-man sent to the planet in his youth to eventually destroy it with his disproportionately large super powers, but was instead discovered and raised by natives into the planet's kind-hearted protector. Kuja was Thong Vegeta and Garland was Geezer Freeza. :v:

I've beaten FF9 but the extent of my knowledge about Goku is "A guy with black hair and an orange shirt who sometimes becomes a glowy guy with blonde hair and no shirt."

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bocc Kob posted:

I beat IX. Yeah, like nobody's been spoiling VIII or even the game this LP is about, right?

Posting about posting makes threads lovely. Don't do this. I don't mind if you guys talk about other FFs but don't argue like people on GameFAQs.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Joey McChrist posted:

I enjoyed XIII as well. I can see all the criticism and I understand it all completely, but that didn't stop me from actually enjoying it. It's nowhere near my favorite in the FF series, but I had a lot of fun. (I think it's mostly because I played it when I was really burnt out on sandbox/open-world style games.)

XIII also had a great soundtrack, but was marred by its lack of the Victory Fanfare. :argh:

Yeah, I don't mean to say it's not deserving of criticism. There were a whole bunch of flaws with the game. I guess I was able to just look past them. Also, it annoys me that you can download individual tracks from XIII on iTunes, but not the whole album. :argh:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's not that I hate it, it's that none of it has stuck in my head at all. If I think about it, I can hum at least one piece of music from most of the FF games, except for XII and XIII. Say what you will, but for me, the music was so utterly forgettable in both of those, and since the music's usually the first thing that catches me (seriously, give me a good OST and I'll play through your game no matter how crappy it is), I wouldn't call that a good sign.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt about it. I wouldn't call it bad music by any means but it was not memorable. I can remember the battle theme, but honestly it kind of got annoying after a while. 7's music, on the other hand, stuck in my head forever and never got to the point where it was irritating.

I miss Uematsu. Lost Odyssey's soundtrack was amazing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
VII has some of the most memorable music of the series. My only complaint is the constant and countless versions of...that one song.

Oh what was it called? "One-Purpled Haze"? "Carmina Buranairoth"?

Whatever it was, I'm sure Elentor will come to it eventually. I'm loving the LP btw.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pesky Splinter posted:

VII has some of the most memorable music of the series. My only complaint is the constant and countless versions of...that one song.

Whatever it was, I'm sure Elentor will come to it eventually. I'm loving the LP btw.

I like this post.

I also agree with you; when I first played it and finally heard that song in game, my response was really? THIS is what ... REALLY?

Still don't get how it became such a thing.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Psion posted:

I like this post.

I also agree with you; when I first played it and finally heard that song in game, my response was really? THIS is what ... REALLY?

Whiny Teenagers Anthem should be the title of that song.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Psion posted:

I like this post.

Yeah, I honestly don't like that song. S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dauntasa posted:

Goku had a tail?

He did!

He got it ripped off his rear end every now and again, because he became a were-monkey every so often otherwise!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dauntasa posted:

S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is meh, but it has some amazing remixes, one of which i'll post as soon as we reach that point.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesky Splinter posted:

I laughed at One-Purpled Haze hahaha.

It's not a bad song, it's not the best from FF7 either by any stretch. It's also just a midi on the PC version, which makes it the most anti-climatic poo poo ever.

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't like that song. S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

You guys are really entertaining me with the spoiler-safe version of the musics.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

Guys, guys. We just saw the Wall Market sequence, which is one of the best things ever to be in any video game, much less any Final Fantasy game, and all you can talk about is OTHER FINAL FANTASIES?

Even when I was a kid, I remember my first reaction to this area was "I cannot believe they are getting away with this poo poo in a video game". I had been impressed when the Nintendo version of Ultima 4 had toilets in it. Toilets! And yet here is Final Fantasy with gay sex in a brothel in the red-light district followed by the protagonist dressing as a woman and almost getting date-raped by the creepiest boss in the world, FOLLOWED BY repeated threats against said boss's genitals.

If the entire game had been this audacious, nobody would argue about how good it was.

We need an update to keep the thread from going supernova with FF-chat. I am fully prepared to post a 1000-word essay entitled "In Search of Cloud: Gender and Identity in a Post-Nuclear Midgar" if necessary.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dauntasa posted:

:golfclap:

I agree that one is better.

I'll tell you the one that kills me is uh, SOME GUY's Welcoming Ceremony. This is mostly because I got stuck and kept looping around the drat place where it plays for like 20 minutes listening to the SAME SONG over and over and over and oadgfhdghfhargugh can't stand it now. My own fault, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Woozy posted:

We need an update to keep the thread from going supernova with FF-chat. I am fully prepared to post a 1000-word essay entitled "In Search of Cloud: Gender and Identity in a Post-Nuclear Midgar" if necessary.

Every page this thread goes without an update brings us closer to the Spergularity.

• Locked thread