Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woozy posted:

We need an update to keep the thread from going supernova with FF-chat. I am fully prepared to post a 1000-word essay entitled "In Search of Cloud: Gender and Identity in a Post-Nuclear Midgar" if necessary.

I've got a shitload of SS and videos ready, I just need to edit them. I'm past Midgar right now sitting with 12 videos and 2500 screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Elentor posted:

I laughed at One-Purpled Haze hahaha.

It's not a bad song, it's not the best from FF7 either by any stretch. It's also just a midi on the PC version, which makes it the most anti-climatic poo poo ever.

You guys are really entertaining me with the spoiler-safe version of the musics.

The first time I heard it I thought it was okay (I thought that the one before the-song-that-must-remain-nameless was better though). It's just that the song kinda loses its effectiveness the more times it's repeated and unaltered.

I thought the best version was on Crisis Core.

[E]

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't like that song. S-P-O-I-L-E-R-S is better, in my opinion.

I just got this and it nearly made my mind explode (yeah I'm slow).
Bravo! :golfclap:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Pfft, everyone knows this is the best FF7 remix ever made :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it that both Son Goku and Zidane Tribal are both based on Son Wukong from Journey to the West, and any similarities they have are due to ripping off the same source material?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Patter Song posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it that both Son Goku and Zidane Tribal are both based on Son Wukong from Journey to the West, and any similarities they have are due to ripping off the same source material?

You are correct.

As for Spoiler Spoilered Spoiler, the thing that really soured me on that track (and the OST in general) was when Uematsu described it as "Jimi Hendrix meets classical music."

and I laughed

for hours

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Elentor posted:

I've got a shitload of SS and videos ready, I just need to edit them. I'm past Midgar right now sitting with 12 videos and 2500 screenshots.

No rush.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2011

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Man, I can't wait until the next update. While I'm not one to rush an LPer -- they are giving us free entertainment and we oughtta be grateful for it -- I'd very much like this thread to return to "Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!" and take the 'sperg back to the deep, dank hellhole from which it came.

Although FFXIII-2 looks exactly like more of Squareenix's "style over substance" bullshit and the designs look as lovely as they have been since FF8. :reject:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
People are really over-exaggerating the level of "sperg" in this thread.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I haven't watched any Dragon Ball stuff in about a decade, but I don't think they explained Goku's backstory until Z and they were done with the Son Wukong homages by then, weren't they? I don't know that Zidane is based on Son Wukong, but his backstory is largely the same as Goku's.

Flashbang!
May 16, 2009
Just replace fighting and eating with skirt-chasing and thespianism.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
So when I started replaying this game, I decided that I wasn't going to grind levels or limits or AP, since I always end up doing that and I wanted a bit of a challenge this time. Flash forward to me having just finished the optional area near the end of Disc 1, and my characters are all over level 40, I have three characters with all of their limits and the others all have their second lvl 3 limits, and I have quake 3, bio 3, fire 3, ice 3, lightening 3, regen, esuna, mbarrier, and a whole bunch of other spells that I shouldn't have for probably half a disc longer. I don't know what is is about this game, but apparently I can't not powerlevel when I play it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do you guys think we could take the non-FF7 discussion (and probably some of the FF7 discussion) to the Final Fantasy thread? That would be super-cool I think.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

The White Dragon posted:

Pfft, everyone knows this is the best FF7 remix ever made :colbert:

The best FF7 remix is without a doubt the one that combines the final boss music with Soulja Boy.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

Dr. Dos posted:

The best FF7 remix is without a doubt the one that combines the final boss music with Soulja Boy.

:psyduck: This is the strangest thing.

how is it so drat addictive

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Dr. Dos posted:

I... I don't know how to respond to this. This is why the internet exists. I am speechless.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dr. Dos posted:

Somehow, it made both songs listenable and better. Awesome.

Kaasen
Jun 8, 2011

Have you ever seen
anything so wonderful
in your entire life?

Dr. Dos posted:

Seriously laughing so hard right now. Even with my music education I still just can't understand how it fits so well.

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

Here's a version without that distracting generic beat in the background.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

So when I started replaying this game, I decided that I wasn't going to grind levels or limits or AP, since I always end up doing that and I wanted a bit of a challenge this time. Flash forward to me having just finished the optional area near the end of Disc 1, and my characters are all over level 40, I have three characters with all of their limits and the others all have their second lvl 3 limits, and I have quake 3, bio 3, fire 3, ice 3, lightening 3, regen, esuna, mbarrier, and a whole bunch of other spells that I shouldn't have for probably half a disc longer. I don't know what is is about this game, but apparently I can't not powerlevel when I play it.

I think it's something about the great music and actually quick pace of the gameplay, but leveling up in FFVII is really soothing. That's probably why everyone went so crazy in power-leveling this game, and goes a long way toward explaining everyone's fondness for it.

DocFrance posted:

Do you guys think we could take the non-FF7 discussion (and probably some of the FF7 discussion) to the Final Fantasy thread? That would be super-cool I think.

Games megathreads are no fun to follow, and everyone's been mostly well behaved for the last couple of pages. We honestly just need more updates if people aren't going to go crazy talking about the series as a whole.

I think it's impressive that Final Fantasy games manage to provoke discussion of one another despite not technically being connected.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr. Dos posted:

Well I mean since we're on the subject...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought it was proven that anything can be remixed with Souja Boy.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

George posted:

...We honestly just need more updates if people aren't going to go crazy talking about the series as a whole.

There's already been 13 Updates in 3 weeks, I think that's a fair amount of updates considering the size and scope of this LP. It's just the Elentor's tackling FFVII and it's gonna generate this much posting one way or the other.

This isn't meant to be taken as hostile and I hope it isn't, just wanted to put it in perspective what the game is, the amount of attention and the amount of content already put into it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Great thread! Thanks to the Final Fantasy general thread in Games, I actually just re-started FFVII. Despite being my first FF and first RPG, this will only be my second playthrough. I preferred VIII and Chrono Cross and some other RPGs to VII, so they always got additional playtime. Which is weird, because I loved it when I played it (though I was young).

I am actually very close to where your last entry left off (slightly farther), so it's interesting to see everything I missed the first and even second time around. I actually enjoy your B&Bs a lot, especially because I don't want to grind (I'm not very good at RPGs, so even easy ones like FFVII are hard--or were hard--for me. I haven't died this time around though, so maybe its difficultly was due to age).

The thread title amused me, because that quotation is simply spectacular.

Also, way back when I first played through, I though that when your party left Midgar was truly an awe-inspiring moment. I really thought that the area was gigantic. But after this playthrough I do not find that to be the case. It felt too linear (not that other areas won't be). So, while at one time I agreed that the first six hours were once the best, my opinion may change, but it's too early to tell.

And I don't think the graphics suffered either! (I'm playing it on my PS2 on a non-flat screen TV.)

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 19, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Also, way back when I first played through, I though that when your party left Midgar was truly an awe-inspiring moment. I really thought that the area was gigantic. But after this playthrough I do not find that to be the case. It felt too linear (not that other areas won't be). So, while at one time I agreed that the first six hours were once the best, my opinion may change, but it's too early to tell.

I don't think it was the best, but I do think that the time you spend in Midgar is the best in Disk One.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
FF7 was my first RPG and I remember expecting the game to actually be you blowing up all 8 reactors and then fighting Shinra.

I also remember reading the manual in the car on the way home and wondering if I should play as Barret or Sephiroth first.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Alec Eiffel posted:

Great thread! Thanks to the Final Fantasy general thread in Games, I actually just re-started FFVII. Despite being my first FF and first RPG, this will only be my second playthrough. I preferred VIII and Chrono Cross and some other RPGs to VII, so they always got additional playtime. Which is weird, because I loved it when I played it (though I was young).

I am actually very close to where your last entry left off (slightly farther), so it's interesting to see everything I missed the first and even second time around. I actually enjoy your B&Bs a lot, especially because I don't want to grind (I'm not very good at RPGs, so even easy ones like FFVII are hard--or were hard--for me. I haven't died this time around though, so maybe its difficultly was due to age).

The thread title amused me, because that quotation is simply spectacular.

And I don't think the graphics suffered either! (I'm playing it on my PS2 on a non-flat screen TV.)
While it may be linear, the rest of FFVII's world suffers from not being as awesome-looking as Midgar, or not nearly the same amount of atmosphere.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 20, 2011

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

The White Dragon posted:

Well I mean since we're on the subject...

Is that voice sample from Tecmo Super Bowl? :psyduck:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

I always enjoyed that one. But I have to wonder under what circumstances do both songs play at relatively the same time, heard by the same ears, and someone realizes they line up so well.

Azure_Horizon posted:

While it may be linear, the rest of FFVII's world suffers from not being as awesome-looking as Midgar, or has nearly the same amount of atmosphere.

Yeah, Midgar is this amazing super city that you only really explore a very tiny fraction of. Everywhere else is pretty much a small rural town, at best.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2011

WELCOME THRILLHO
Apr 22, 2010

Elentor posted:

Because doing his gimmick is the absolutely first thing this little pita does, I got myself the second set of limits from Cloud, Tifa and Aeris. Although it's possible to do that without gaining levels at all,

Wait, what? How would one go about doing that?

It's funny, I've beaten this game three times at least, and this thread keeps showing me how not good I am at it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WELCOME THRILLHO posted:

Wait, what? How would one go about doing that?

It's funny, I've beaten this game three times at least, and this thread keeps showing me how not good I am at it.

For x-2 limits:
Find an enemy with a lot of health. Attack him with a limit, heal him, wait until limit bar fills, repeat 7 times, finish him off.

For x-1 limits:
Find a group with a lot of enemies that give you low experience, have only the character you want to level alive.

I'm not sure if the Battle Arena counts. If it does, then it's possible to kill the enemies there for no experience. Otherwise you'll gain some levels.

The thing is that I could have kept two characters dead to level up the limits and get only 1/3rd of the experience I got, but that would not allow me to put the game on auto-pilot and go read a book.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PunkBoy posted:

Is that voice sample from Tecmo Super Bowl? :psyduck:

Yes, yes it is.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Well now I wonder how many videogame songs can match that terrible track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x08jBMIAd0

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Olibu posted:

Well now I wonder how many videogame songs can match that terrible track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x08jBMIAd0

It really DOES go with everything.

e: I think the best part about Crank Dat One-Winged Angel is if you're playing the PC version it would be very easy to replace the original song in the game with the mashup.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 20, 2011

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

All that dancing around saying the actual title, ruined!

Chawaka
Oct 26, 2007
Watching that Versus XIII trailer made me remember that that is exactly what I thought The Spirits Within was going to be like. God drat that movie would have been much better. At least better than "eh" anyways.

cyrus106
Jun 19, 2011
I think the saddest part about FF7 is that it's easy if you know what you're doing. I reinstalled the PC version months ago and beat the whole drat thing without a single game over. Even with the "weapon" bosses, they aren't worth the entire trek through easy and very common random encounters. I think FF8 had the right idea with Diablos' enc-none ability, with that ability you could check out an area's enemies, then equip it and avoid all random encounters in non-dungeons. Brilliant. Lastly, what the hell is the point of the KOTR summon, just makes easy battles EASIER. Enough said

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

cyrus106 posted:

WEAPON

Ahem.

Is it really that hard to not spoil things?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Isn't that basically like saying that there are Chocobos in this game?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Lance Streetman posted:

Ahem.

I don't know about you, but my enjoyment of a game would not be altered in the slightest if I found out there were bosses that were referred to as "weapons".

I guess it's technically a spoiler, but would anyone really care to have that spoiled for themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Lance Streetman posted:

Ahem.

Shut up. Bosses that have the word 'Weapon' in them are not a spoiler. More things that are not spoilers:

Cid is in this game!
Yuffie joins you in this game!
There's chocobo breeding in this game!
There is an Aero 3 spell in this game!

I would post examples of things that are considered spoilers, but the OP explicitly states that they do not want any spoilers.

• Locked thread