Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just to reiterate: A good amount of goons are college students, so make sure if you go the DAS keyboard route, ask about the student discount. My keyboard was about 25$ cheaper.

Also. I love my brown/silent DAS keyboard, but im a little interested in the blue/normal type. Is there that much of a big difference between the two to warrant another purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Charles Martel posted:

Wow, I didn't know Razer was so goon-disapproved.

Every Razer product I've owned has been broken in some horrible way so I will definitely tell people to stay away from them. I know these things can happen, but not for 3 entirely different product lines.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Essobie posted:

EA partnered with id to publish the title before the Zenimax aquisition. Google points to pages that seem to think it is still going to happen.

Whether it will be an Origin exclusive? I seriously doubt it, given all of the success the Fallouts have had on Steam.

I know if Rage requires Origin, I'll never own it.... but I was already thinking I'd pass on Rage simply because it has a console release. If it is tied at the hip to Electronic Arts, it makes the choice even easier!

The only origin exclusive game announced so far is TOR, which makes sense, and I think it will remain like that for a while.

It's a moot point though because EA is no longer publishing RAGE. When Zenimax bought id, Bethesda got the full rights to publish Rage and is doing so.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really like my good old G15.
I pull out a cheap Dell keyboard that every school or government computer has for long school reports though it hammers really well.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Avocadoes posted:

Also. I love my brown/silent DAS keyboard, but im a little interested in the blue/normal type. Is there that much of a big difference between the two to warrant another purchase?

Nah, it wouldn't be worth it whatsoever, but then again this is a thread dedicated to the minutiae of mechanical switch differences and buying 300 dollar realforce keyboards. So I say go for it if you care, but not under the auspices that it is a defensible purchase in the classic sense.

Sometimes you just gotta do you.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Zedd posted:

I really like my good old G15.
I pull out a cheap Dell keyboard that every school or government computer has for long school reports though it hammers really well.

I still have mine the year the first ones rolled out. Never have had an issue with it, other than the fact that the backlight starts to flicker every once in a while, but a quick tap, turn off and on fixes that. Oh, the the small rest that clipped to the bottom of it broke years ago. (Long plastic thing) But other than that, been a great keyboard. I think the G11 is the current successor?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That keyboard is dumb, get this if you want silence and sexyness.

http://www.google.ca/search?um=1&hl...280l671l0.1.2l3

THANK ME LATER :p

Not mechanical switches, no thanks. I hope you enjoy it wearing out in a few years.

also illuminated keyboards are a gimmick, get a loving lamp.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not mechanical switches, no thanks. I hope you enjoy it wearing out in a few years.

This has got to be one of the most :goonsay: things I've ever read on somethingawful, holy poo poo.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Unless it's a Model M, in which case it will outlive you.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I hope you enjoy it wearing out in a few years.

Oh Jesus no, not a few years!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Brace posted:

This has got to be one of the most :goonsay: things I've ever read on somethingawful, holy poo poo.

Not really they're stupid as poo poo. Get a desk lamp and don't sit in the dark just because you have an illuminated keyboard and the glow of your monitor.

I'm telling you to not be goony.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not really they're stupid as poo poo. Get a desk lamp and don't sit in the dark just because you have an illuminated keyboard and the glow of your monitor.

What is wrong with lit keys? Why are you getting defensive and upset about some people liking to use lit keys?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hell no. I have a nice lamp and I still have the backlight on because sometimes I'm not near the lamp.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm ripping and tearing on a guy who wants a thing. Maybe I will convince him to not want it~~

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I actually like it more cause it feels like my laptop keys, so nice to type on them. :)

I hate bulky keys and the illumination is only because it's easier to see at night WITH MY LAMP. Not that I ever look down.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vertigus posted:

I'm ripping and tearing on a guy who wants a thing. Maybe I will convince him to not want it~~

It wont convince anyone one way or the other, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.

:shobon:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
gently caress lamps. gently caress illuminated keys. Why do you have to look at the keyboard anyway?

(Same sentiment as the post above)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

We're all PC gaming friends. :)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Liberatore posted:

gently caress lamps. gently caress illuminated keys. Why do you have to look at the keyboard anyway?

Cause I have a cool LED on it with useless info. :kamina:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Liberatore posted:

gently caress the poo poo you like, gently caress it. Stop being loving stupid and think like me! LIKE THE THINGS THAT I LIKE!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Brace posted:

gently caress the poo poo you like, gently caress it. Stop being loving stupid and think like me! LIKE THE THINGS THAT I LIKE!!!

This, but without the obvious sarcasm.

It's what I feel inside but will never be realized by others. I guess I'm the smartest person around. Shame.

I'm being slightly facetious if that wasn't obvious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ep 10 tonight GoT poster. ;)

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Brace posted:

Heh. I actually like illuminated keys because they look cool. I just have no practical use for them.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only origin exclusive game announced so far is TOR, which makes sense, and I think it will remain like that for a while.

It's a moot point though because EA is no longer publishing RAGE. When Zenimax bought id, Bethesda got the full rights to publish Rage and is doing so.

Yeah, apparently my google search kind of scewed the results. Googling "rage publisher" is a bunch of news stories saying the EA publishing is no longer a thing.

I'll maintain skepticism on whether the game will be worth picking up, but at least it isn't an outright "no deal".

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Liberatore posted:

Heh. I actually like illuminated keys because they look cool. I just have no practical use for them.

Seriously who the gently caress cares? that's like arguing against people liking a certain type of finish on their keyboards because it's not the type of finish you like.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Liberatore posted:

:smuggo:

I guess I'll have to put electrical tape over the little lights above the numpad though UGH

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Well my keyboard says Print Screen. It's OBVIOUSLY superior to lowly keyboards that say PRNTSCRN. What kind of plebian uses one of those?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Brace posted:

Seriously who the gently caress cares? that's like arguing against people liking a certain type of finish on their keyboards because it's not the type of finish you like.

I don't, and I don't think anybody here does either. This is just an entertaining discussion.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Brace posted:

Well the thing is, certain types of things are conclusively better than others, and as such it is my job to educate the mouthbreathing masses of their poor choices, and

Brace posted:

I think he does

People think a lot of things, doesn't mean everyone is right all the time.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 19, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Liberatore posted:

I don't, and I don't think anybody here does either. This is just an entertaining discussion.

quote:

quote:

I think he does

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

Bought a Logitech G110 keyboard to replace this Saitek. If it didn't have USB audio & media keys/volume I'd have smashed it by now. Its a piece of poo poo. The backlight is weak. It feels cheap and its not the usual logitech quality. It's a piece of poo poo. It's a piece of poo poo. I kind of just want to smash it with a sledgehammer and get a Razer BlackWidow.
I posted about my experience with the G110 in YOSPOS, but I seriously don't get the hate unless the G110s that get sent to northern Europe are coming from a different production line. For reference I bought mine close to the release (April 2010).

Its drat solid compared to just about every other modern keyboard that I've used. The only keyboards that I can compare it directly to are some old PS2 keyboards that I've kept (while tossing the flimsy ones out, most of them were crap). Compared to my old keyboard it has a lot less flex and the plastic is sturdier. And for wired keyboards that don't look like rear end but come with a volume wheel its pretty much the only choice. The macro keys are just an additional benefit.

Rekkit
Nov 5, 2006

Liberatore posted:

Seriously. Why is anyone looking at their keyboards during any computer usage?

Get a lamp. Your eyes will thank you in a few years.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hang on a minute. With my illuminated keyboard I get no glare. With a lamp I get gently caress tones of glare. I'm confused why you all love glare so much?

Also illuminated keyboards have levels of illumination, I have mine set so the keys are just visibile. Like when you set gamma and brightness in games so the image is just visible. Oh wait, you guys don't do that right?

Also try playing a game like Arma II and tell me you won't be looking where the gently caress the Application key is all the time.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rekkit posted:

Seriously. Why is anyone looking at their keyboards during any computer usage?

Because some of us weirdos type that way and enjoy the aesthetics of illuminated keys?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Hang on a minute. With my illuminated keyboard I get no glare. With a lamp I get gently caress tones of glare. I'm confused why you all love glare so much?

Also illuminated keyboards have levels of illumination, I have mine set so the keys are just visibile. Like when you set gamma and brightness in games so the image is just visible. Oh wait, you guys don't do that right?

Also try playing a game like Arma II and tell me you won't be looking where the gently caress the Application key is all the time.

Maybe the expensive ones do, but not all backlit keyboards have illumination levels.

Also to reduce or eliminate glare, place the lamp to the side and behind the monitor.

Also sitting in the dark = mancave and we all know how the ladies love PC gamer mancaves.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Haha. It's interesting how wrong you are. The Logitech Illuminated keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever typed on in my life, and oh gosh! It has backlit keys! Also, calling something goony is about as goony as you can get.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bunky posted:

Haha. It's interesting how wrong you are. The Logitech Illuminated keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever typed on in my life, and oh gosh! It has backlit keys! Also, calling something goony is about as goony as you can get.

This is the one I have and apart from the busted full stop button it's fantastic.

Also I'm not trying to 'pull chicks' when I'm on my computer so why would it matter if I have no lights on?

I'M MORE CONCERNED ABOUT MY IMMERSION! And being able to see keys. :qqsay:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Let's be clear on one Logitech point that I hardly ever see brought up:

- Hardware from Logitech is SOLID GOLD.
- Software from Logitech is SOLID poo poo.

I can count on one hand the number days my G13 software hasn't crashed repeatedly. Not to mention that the G13's legacy software (read: outdated) works head and shoulders better than the new, supported software.

Their software always, always makes me wonder just how they went so wrong.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
so is this a good time to ask what a good keyboard to buy is :v:

Also I hate Logitech's speakers, but their mice/controllers/steering wheels are goddamn great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Why don't you all take a deep breath, step back for a moment and look at what you're arguing, where you're doing it and with whom.

My god.

• Locked thread