Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Good to know. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HeyEng posted:

I'm looking at switching from AD to ANG with 10 years in at time of separation. How do my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits pay out in that situation? Is it the full 100% per my understanding of previous posts?

Yes, 3+ years of AD time is 100%. Good news is that at 10 years AD time, you can transfer your time to dependents if you so choose.

Cenen posted:

When I went through basic in October 09 they had us fill out the GI bill paperwork and I got this one nagging memory thats been bothering me for awhile. Now this may be me misremembering something but I could have sworn we were giving the option of choosing between the montgomery or the post 9/11. Now the thing is I don't remember which I chose and sometimes it actually keeps me up thinking I may have skipped out on the post 9/11 for just the montgomery.

There's a link on the Air force portal that actually lets you see documents like your enlisted contract and whatnot that have been scanned into the system and one of them is the paper that says you signed up for the GI Bill. Now the thing is this paper has my signature that I signed up for the GI Bill but doesn't say much beyond that.

Question: Any way to confirm which GI Bill I signed up for?

Or maybe they just lied/cocked up the presentation or I misremembered.

No you probably did sign up for the MGIB because the paperwork is likely old as gently caress. Good news though, you can switch over when it's time to use the benefits as easily as clicking a button.

And yes, as was answered already, you get 36 benefit months for you to use as you see fit. A month here, a year there, it doesn't matter.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thank you so much for answering... I was worried since during the presentation they said we couldn't switch over and that we were stuck with whatever we had signed then and there for life. Its good to know I can just change it with a click of a button but how would I go about doing this or is it something I should only be more concerned about closer to the end?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cenen posted:

Thank you so much for answering... I was worried since during the presentation they said we couldn't switch over and that we were stuck with whatever we had signed then and there for life. Its good to know I can just change it with a click of a button but how would I go about doing this or is it something I should only be more concerned about closer to the end?

Basically you go to gibill.va.gov, click on CH33 (Post 9/11) and you start the process for applying. After a few pages of the application you will have to relinquish any other GI bills that you are currently under, which is CH30 (MGIB). You complete the application and you get your certificate of eligibility as per normal in 2-4 weeks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Exactly. I had to take a semester off while under the 9/11 bill, and I was able to start right up again. If you go to the same school you might not even have to refile your paperwork.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

Yes, 3+ years of AD time is 100%. Good news is that at 10 years AD time, you can transfer your time to dependents if you so choose.

This is something I've been curious about. I had 4 years active time, 3 of which went to SLRP, with a year to post-9/11. Since I'm in voc rehab, can I transfer my post 9/11 benefits to my wife for her grad school program? If so, can she use it while I'm receiving voc rehab?

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Bit of a strange question: so after I have already done the whole CH33 thing and that's all set up, what if I applied to a different school (other than the one I put in my CH33 application) because I had a very stark realization on what exactly my interests are? Will the benefits package have to be reaccomplished?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CaptainBitchAlot posted:

Bit of a strange question: so after I have already done the whole CH33 thing and that's all set up, what if I applied to a different school (other than the one I put in my CH33 application) because I had a very stark realization on what exactly my interests are? Will the benefits package have to be reaccomplished?

No, what that does is give the VA data on where people want to go. Take your copy of your certificate of eligibility and keep it with you, and bring it to the new school that you want to go to. It's not a problem.

Spongebob Tampax posted:

This is something I've been curious about. I had 4 years active time, 3 of which went to SLRP, with a year to post-9/11. Since I'm in voc rehab, can I transfer my post 9/11 benefits to my wife for her grad school program? If so, can she use it while I'm receiving voc rehab?

Only if you had 10 years equivalent AD time. Reserves/guard are half time, with I think a minimum of 6 years AD. So you can do 10 years AD and get it, or 6 AD/8 reserves, or 8/4, etc. Not 100% sure on the minimum AD req, but it's 10 years total.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Got my Army College Fund (kicker) backpay finally today. 9k retroactive, and they owe me an additional 1700 when Fall 2011 starts.

I did a little jig, and I will update the OP on the process. Of getting the backpay, not of the jig. That was embarrassing and will never be repeated.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I got a question for one of my best friends.

He got medically discharged from the Army when he got shot in his shoulder and gets about 80% disability. He tried to use his G.I bill to go to school but the VA said if he was to go to school or work his disability would go down to 30%. Is there any truth to that? And if there is, is there any way he can get around the system? Because right now he's pretty much hating life. All he does it drink himself stupid every single day because he has nothing better to do with his time/life. It's been a hassle for him fighting the VA to even get his 80% because he got out of the army with a purple heart, 20% mobility in his right arm, and 30% disability. Right now it seems like he just gave up on it and just content with drinking his life away.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Vasudus posted:

Got my Army College Fund (kicker) backpay finally today. 9k retroactive, and they owe me an additional 1700 when Fall 2011 starts.

Congrats! Surprise money is always the best kind of money.

Question: Does the date on a certificate of eligibility matter? I got mine in 2008 before the IRR butt hosed my school plans and will be needing it in the Fall to start using my post 9/11 poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kaliber posted:

I got a question for one of my best friends.

He got medically discharged from the Army when he got shot in his shoulder and gets about 80% disability. He tried to use his G.I bill to go to school but the VA said if he was to go to school or work his disability would go down to 30%. Is there any truth to that? And if there is, is there any way he can get around the system? Because right now he's pretty much hating life. All he does it drink himself stupid every single day because he has nothing better to do with his time/life. It's been a hassle for him fighting the VA to even get his 80% because he got out of the army with a purple heart, 20% mobility in his right arm, and 30% disability. Right now it seems like he just gave up on it and just content with drinking his life away.

Who what now? That's pretty much the exact opposite of how the process works, at least for school. There isn't a reason in the world he can't go to school on either the GI Bill or Vocational Rehabilitation. Hell, Voc Rehab people bend over backwards to make sure that you get turned into a more productive (or at least better educated) individual.

RichieHimself posted:

Question: Does the date on a certificate of eligibility matter? I got mine in 2008 before the IRR butt hosed my school plans and will be needing it in the Fall to start using my post 9/11 poo poo.

No, the date on the certificate is irrelevant so long as your GI Bill remained the same. If your percentage changed or you switched bills (from CH30/1606 -> CH33) you will need a new one, but time remaining in benefit months or the posting date of the certificate doesn't matter.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

[quote="Vasudus"]
Who what now? That's pretty much the exact opposite of how the process works, at least for school. There isn't a reason in the world he can't go to school on either the GI Bill or Vocational Rehabilitation. Hell, Voc Rehab people bend over backwards to make sure that you get turned into a more productive (or at least better educated) individual.

Really? Cause the VA been giving him a hard time about it. He was telling me all he was able to do was the Voc Rehab. But that they only offered him lovely rear end jobs. He was dead set on going to school and they been telling him no. Not sure if the person he's working with is a piece of poo poo or what.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kaliber posted:

Really? Cause the VA been giving him a hard time about it. He was telling me all he was able to do was the Voc Rehab. But that they only offered him lovely rear end jobs. He was dead set on going to school and they been telling him no. Not sure if the person he's working with is a piece of poo poo or what.

Yeah I don't even know where to begin. Someone over there has it in for him.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How quickly does the Post 9/11 dollars pay out to the school and to the veteran from the start of the process?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HeyEng posted:

How quickly does the Post 9/11 dollars pay out to the school and to the veteran from the start of the process?

Assuming that you have your certificate of eligibility and DD214 provided, there is about a 5-7 business day delay from the moment the information is entered into VA-ONCE and the school gets paid. The veteran will get paid at the end of the benefit month.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kaliber posted:

Voc Rehab isn't even supposed to find you jobs? :wtf:

Your friend may just be retarded and/or lazy. He could also be lying too.

In any case. His best bet is to get in contact with a group like AmVets, American Legion, etc. They have people that can get your benefits sorted out. They understand the system and work with the same people at the VA all the time.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Vasudus posted:

I did a little jig, and I will update the OP on the process. Of getting the backpay, not of the jig. That was embarrassing and will never be repeated.

I just tried to picture you doing a jig and the thought made me laugh so hard I think I strained something.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Vasudus, off topic (kind of): Did you work for the VA at the school when the 9/11 bill first took effect in August 2009?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rrail posted:

Vasudus, off topic (kind of): Did you work for the VA at the school when the 9/11 bill first took effect in August 2009?

Yeah and it was a loving bastard. Hooooooly poo poo. Nothing like having ~190 vets, to include me, getting the shaft on paychecks for three loving months.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yah I was going to ask what kind of rage you dealt with.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

renraku posted:

Voc Rehab isn't even supposed to find you jobs? :wtf:

Yes, they are. Well, it's an option. They offer job placement, but mostly focus on getting you trained/educated so they can place you in a career later, not some bullshit $8/hr job. If you take a job outside of what they can scrounge up, they're cool with that too. Dude's getting railed by someone at the VA.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Yes, they are. Well, it's an option. They offer job placement, but mostly focus on getting you trained/educated so they can place you in a career later, not some bullshit $8/hr job. If you take a job outside of what they can scrounge up, they're cool with that too. Dude's getting railed by someone at the VA.

The earlier question aside, how is one supposed to have higher than $8+ job without college? Are they talking about blue collar skills/training? Contracting?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There are plenty of jobs paying above $8/hr that don't require college.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
MY WIFE makes 12 an hour without college.

Admin assistant.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Move your discussion to the civ thread or something gents, I came home and saw the replies and thought there was something productive to be done.

:argh:

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Move your discussion to the civ thread or something gents, I came home and saw the replies and thought there was something productive to be done.

:argh:

True, sorry! Bring the bullshit talk to the civvie thread!

So I'm getting pell grant, reserve pay, unemployment, Florida prepaid college plan my grandpa got me 7 years ago and post 9/11 in September. I am excited.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jaysus posted:

True, sorry! Bring the bullshit talk to the civvie thread!

So I'm getting pell grant, reserve pay, unemployment, Florida prepaid college plan my grandpa got me 7 years ago and post 9/11 in September. I am excited.

I thought you were staying in Seattle?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Rrail posted:

I thought you were staying in Seattle?

I am, but my grandpa is a Florida resident and he bought me a 2 year plan from Florida Prepaid before I graduated high school.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jaysus posted:

I am, but my grandpa is a Florida resident and he bought me a 2 year plan from Florida Prepaid before I graduated high school.

There weather rules what a great summer to stay here and go to school. :thumbsup:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Rrail posted:

There weather rules what a great summer to stay here and go to school. :thumbsup:

Seattle infinite winter chat itt

Still waiting on WSU so I can plan the next move :/

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
All of my friends that graduated from WSU make like sub-3k a month, hope this helps with your decision.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Rrail posted:

All of my friends that graduated from WSU make like sub-3k a month, hope this helps with your decision.

I honestly could not survive on that. I was just an uneducated E-6.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know how anyone does.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
OK, so BAH.

I was taking 7 credit hours last semester, one online and one physically attended. I got the equivalent fraction of BAH (7/12ths).

Summer semester, I'm taking 6 credit hours, but apparently (according to our VA counselor, whose opinion I'm trusting less and less) 7 credit hours is full-time in summer, so I'm getting almost the whole deal.

When I go back to fall semester and do 6 credit hours, I understand that my payment will drop. But, according to my counselor, I have to physically attend at least one class to get the BAH payment. Is that true?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

OK, so BAH.

I was taking 7 credit hours last semester, one online and one physically attended. I got the equivalent fraction of BAH (7/12ths).

Summer semester, I'm taking 6 credit hours, but apparently (according to our VA counselor, whose opinion I'm trusting less and less) 7 credit hours is full-time in summer, so I'm getting almost the whole deal.

When I go back to fall semester and do 6 credit hours, I understand that my payment will drop. But, according to my counselor, I have to physically attend at least one class to get the BAH payment. Is that true?

Yes. If you have 100% distance learning, before August 1st, you get absolutely nothing for BAH. After August 1st, assuming again 100% distance learning, you will get the national average of BAH which is ~673? I think a month.

Being 6CR in the fall/spring is half time. Distance Learning BAH = .50*~673. If you take at least one class brick & mortar, BAH = .50*BAH of your zip.

For accelerated classes under an 8, 5 or 3 week schedule, 3 credit hours is considered full time for the duration. I'm taking 9 credits over three sessions (3CR 5/31-6/30, 3CR 7/5-8/5, 3CR 8/8-8/19) so for the entire summer I am considered full time.

edit: fixed BAH rate. I need to stop saying national BAH average is a thousand bucks.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 28, 2011

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's E-5 with dependents rate, right?

poo poo, at my zip that's 1080/month. Enough to make it a wash between half that and half the national average. If so, I might as well take two online classes (so I don't lose two days of overtime a week).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

That's E-5 with dependents rate, right?

poo poo, at my zip that's 1080/month. Enough to make it a wash between half that and half the national average. If so, I might as well take two online classes (so I don't lose two days of overtime a week).

This is what I get for not proofreading.

gibill.va.gov posted:

Housing allowance is now payable to students (other than those on active duty) enrolled solely in distance learning. The housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents.
The full-time rate for an individual eligible at the 100% eligibility tier would be $673.50 for 2011.

Which is also effective October 1, not August 1. I don't know why the gently caress I keep thinking the national average BAH is about a thousand bucks, but this is like the tenth time I've confused it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm, poo poo. That'd mean a loss of August and September's BAH, plus a two-hundred dollar haircut per month after that. That's a vastly different story.

I don't mind physically attending classes, I just get sick of hearing the snide comments from the boss when OT comes up and I have to go to school. He's actually really cool about it (I've never had to miss a class because of work), but he does get kind of passive-aggressive snipey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

If you plan to get a Masters, is it better to wait till your Post 9/11 is used up before switching to Rehab or should I switch this fall?

Basically, if I switch this fall, I don't know if Rehab will say "Sure...keep going all the way through your Masters" or if they will stop me once I'm done with my BS.

Maybe its better to use up Post 9/11, then apply?

• Locked thread