Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SyHopeful posted:

Shot of the DC-3:

That's an ex-Kenn Borek Super; even before I saw the old titles and Canadian registration under the paint, the day-glo orange topside with the black cheat line gave it away. I've probably seen this aircraft a handful of times back when it flew for KBA until 2006...their main base is across street from us.

Nice to see it avoided the scrapyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

MrChips posted:

That's an ex-Kenn Borek Super; even before I saw the old titles and Canadian registration under the paint, the day-glo orange topside with the black cheat line gave it away. I've probably seen this aircraft a handful of times back when it flew for KBA until 2006...their main base is across street from us.

Nice to see it avoided the scrapyard.

Be happy to know it is apparently very well loved, then. The C-46 pic was from today, so as of this post it's been flown within the last 4 hours.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Plinkey posted:

Hey now! You're looking at one of the last 3 (maybe 4) BAC 1-11s still flying in the US. (The second of 3(4) should be up there too).

Haha, fair enough, but come on...maybe the jet itself isn't UGLY, technically speaking (although it is a little :downs:), but when you strap any one of those random fighter type radomes on it, it gets pretty ugly.

Those still aren't as bad as a couple of the other random aircraft that are up here, complete with a buttload of random radomes and other poo poo cluttering up their profile.

Godholio posted:

Ooooohhhh...

Also, Eagles in Flanker Blue are dead loving sexy.

Yes, yes they are. The desert ones are kinda meh (still cooler looking than the run of the mill multi-tone grey that everyone else flies), but the Flanker Blue ones are loving awesome.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Cool shots!

I love this paint scheme. So much.

If you haven't checked them out already, you really need to look at the rest of the Navy's Centennial of Flight paint schemes. They are all pretty sweet, but some of them loving rock...except for the stupid loving blue digicam one.

But seriously, check them out...here would be a good place to start.

VX-9 has a heritage scheme, and incidentally enough, they brought it along with them as well:

Didn't realize it initially since it is kind of low key compared to some of the other Centennial jobs.

And just because, here's a few more of the really cool ones...

Edit: I'd be expecting this one to roll over into a bomb dive on the Akagi, Kaga, Soryu, or Hiryu.

And I'd be expecting Lieutenant Brubaker or Commander Lee to be hopping out of this one after a raid on some bridges.

Okay, so that was more than a few, but those are just the tip of the iceberg...go check them out. They all own.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I meant the way they painted the wings with a steeper sweep.

You know, I've been looking at these jets for over a week, and I never noticed that they were painted up that way. If I had to guess, I'd say it was to imitate a MiG-21, as that's closer in both planform and overall size to the way the Hornets are painted up, rather than a Flanker.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 18, 2011

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
Took a friend's yacht out to the end of the Chek Lap Kok airport runway a couple of days ago. Took a few shots of arrivals. These were probably the only ones worth posting in terms of action shots...

Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Cathay Pacific 777 by R-W-P, on Flickr

Smoking Tyres by R-W-P, on Flickr

Untitled by R-W-P, on Flickr

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
When I was working line service here at PDX, a USMC F/A-18 in Flanker paint arrived. I was pretty surprised when a Canadian Forces pilot got out. Apparently the USMC loans out their fighters.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SyHopeful posted:

When I was working line service here at PDX, a USMC F/A-18 in Flanker paint arrived. I was pretty surprised when a Canadian Forces pilot got out. Apparently the USMC loans out their fighters.

Probably not a loaner...the various services have exchange programs, especially among the flying types (pilots, CSOs, NFOs, etc). There's currently a RAAF Squadron Leader up here flying the F-22 with one of the USAF squadrons, for example.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Probably not a loaner...the various services have exchange programs, especially among the flying types (pilots, CSOs, NFOs, etc). There's currently a RAAF Squadron Leader up here flying the F-22 with one of the USAF squadrons, for example.

dammit dude fix your sarcasm detector, it was obviously an exchange program.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SyHopeful posted:

dammit dude fix your sarcasm detector, it was obviously an exchange program.

gently caress. I give up...this is like the third time in as many days. As we established earlier over in GiP, I guess they remove it from all AF maintenance officers. That's my only excuse.

Here's some more cool Navy Centennial paint jobs:

HSC-84 and VP-6 sporting retro paint schemes in honor of HA(L)-3, the original Seawolves from Vietnam. The HSC-84 one is particularly cool since they track their lineage all the way back to HAL-4, one of the descendants of HA(L)-3; HSC-84 still conducts similar missions in support of Naval Special Warfare and Riverine dudes.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
That airliners.net link of the schemes is great, thanks! I'll be making my way through those for sure.

iyaayas01 posted:

If you haven't checked them out already, you really need to look at the rest of the Navy's Centennial of Flight paint schemes. They are all pretty sweet, but some of them loving rock...except for the stupid loving blue digicam one.

And small world! I photographed this one complete with some great condensation hugging it over my house last month. Excuse the horrible quality:

Very cool shots, by the way, JuanChai. That's an awesome view you get there!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Would've been nice if the AF could've done something. But nooo, fun/morale seems to violate AFDD 1-1.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

iyaayas01 posted:

VX-9 has a heritage scheme, and incidentally enough, they brought it along with them as well:

Didn't realize it initially since it is kind of low key compared to some of the other Centennial jobs.

And just because, here's a few more of the really cool ones...

Oh my god. OH MY GOD.

That is so loving unbelievably awesome.

There's a unit stationed at Wright Pat (I think) that used to fly P-51s during the war, but has since transitioned to C-130 transports. Not to let this get them down, they repainted their engines to look like the noses of P-51s.
click here for fuuuuuuuuuck

And that is awesome.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 18, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It is awesome but also severely breaking tables. Might want to re-size that?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

iyaayas01 posted:

Haha, fair enough, but come on...maybe the jet itself isn't UGLY, technically speaking (although it is a little :downs:), but when you strap any one of those random fighter type radomes on it, it gets pretty ugly.

It's cool. I was just giving you poo poo because I work on (engineering-wise) one of the two BACs back at home base. Nice to see one somewhere other than our hangers.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Tindjin posted:

Honestly Boomer, do it. Not sure I understand the hate for modifying it because you are buying the ring/metal anyway. Right now it's just a ring, it takes on no significance until the wedding day and then only the connection that you and your bride give to it. Personalizing it like this only adds to your connection to it.

My suggestion would be to have a small section of the gold taken out and replace it with metal from the screw shaped to fill the void. Then instead of shavings it's a small hunk of it and *if* someone notices it you have a good story on it.

Also thanks for this. To me, right now the ring is just one off a self or out of a box with several thousand just like it.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
So I almost forgot I had this. It was at their annual car show. I thought the big sikorsky sign in the back made this a neat photo. The funny thing is I took it by accident.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Would've been nice if the AF could've done something. But nooo, fun/morale seems to violate AFDD 1-1.

Here's about the only USAF thing even remotely resembling that I've been able to find:

A heritage paint job the Texas ANG did up honoring the 90th anniversary of their 111th Fighter Squadron, which has been in continuous operation since 1923. According to them, each color had a specific purpose...

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (11/23/2007) (AFPN) - An F-16C Fighting Falcon from the Texas Air National Guard's 111th Fighter Squadron is flying with a special paint job in honor of the squadron's 90th anniversary. All the colors and markings have specific meanings, reflecting the unit's nine-decade history.

The rudder is painted like a JN-4 Jenny, which the squadron flew in the 1920s. The schemes for the wings and flaps recall the paint schemes of the pre-World War II era.

The blue fuselage represents the Korean War, in which the squadron earned credit for two air victories. The gray underside represents the jet age.

The "N5 A" was the insignia the squadron's P-51 Mustangs sported during World War II, in which the squadron claimed 44 air victories. Also representing World War II is the star on the fuselage, while the star on the wing represents the pre-World War II era.

"Ace in the Hole" and the star on the tail replicate the markings of the squadron's F-84s during the Korean War. The ventral fin, partially obscured, reads "Est. 1917."

However, I think it looks an awful lot like:

But can you imagine if the USAF had done something similar to the Navy? A BUFF or Bone painted up like the Memphis Belle, a Raptor in Hat in the Ring 94th Pursuit Squadron colors, an Eagle in one of the early war green Mustang paint jobs, a BUFF in the black belly Linebacker II paint job, a Hawg done up to look like a SPAD from Vietnam, a Viper looking like a Wolfpack jet from Operation Bolo, a Mud Hen in old school El Dorado Canyon-ish Lakenheath 'Vark multi-color camouflage...I could probably go on. About the only downside would be that the late '40s-early '60s era would be almost entirely impossible to do since it was mostly bare metal and that just doesn't work with today's jets.

Regardless, it's a pipe dream because the Air Force hates fun.

And that C-130 was pretty cool...it was actually with the 179th Airlift Squadron, an ANG unit based out of Mansfield, OH. The paint scheme specifically is from the 363d Fighter Squadron, part of the 357th Fighter Group, which is the unit the entire Ohio ANG traces its lineage back through. Probably the most famous aircraft assigned to the 363d would be Bud Anderson's Old Crow:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

rcman50166 posted:

So I almost forgot I had this. It was at their annual car show. I thought the big sikorsky sign in the back made this a neat photo. The funny thing is I took it by accident.

a Navy H-60 with the tailwheel that far out? :raise:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Those pre-WWII paint jobs on the Navy planes are straight-up badass.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kilonum posted:

a Navy H-60 with the tailwheel that far out? :raise:

MH-60S Knighthawk, the replacement for the CH-46 in the VERTREP and troop transport roles aboard amphibs and the AOE resupply ships. It's actually a hybrid, with the fuselage of the UH-60 combined with the engine, drivetrain, and rotors from the SH-60.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Some shots from the Quad City Air Show because :911:

Weather was great. The USAF's F-15E was a blast to watch, and watching it run with the Mustang was ridiculously cool. The Blue Angels seemed slower than they normally are. Still impressive, but not quite as exciting as last time.

If you want any of these in wallpaper size, I can arrange that.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Great airshow pictures

Our town used to get the Blue Angels for our Bi-annual airshow. In the last ten years or so, however, it's been the Thunderbirds. Having seen both several times, I have to say the Blues put on a far better show. :can: The dirty loop blows my mind every time. I will say, though, the Thunderbirds' F-16s seem to be a LOT louder than the F/A-18s the Blue Angels fly. Maybe it's the one big engine versus two small(er) engines that have to do with that.

Edit: Oh and Blue Angel pilots land fighter jets on boats and don't wear g-suits.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 20, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Previa_fun posted:

Edit: Oh and Blue Angel pilots land fighter jets on boats and don't wear g-suits.

That's because their jet sucks.

Edit: That's more a GIP post than AI, but oh well. Old Hornets do suck, relatively speaking.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

angryhampster posted:

Some shots from the Quad City Air Show because :911:

If you want any of these in wallpaper size, I can arrange that.

Could I get this wallpaper sized?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Boomerjinks posted:

Her words were "You gave me loving diamonds, the least I can do is allow you some metal shavings."

I guess she's pretty okay.

Also earlier I mentioned Blackbird wreckage. I suggest you all spend some time on this site http://gmaps.tommangan.us/blackbirds.html

The locations and tail numbers of all known Blackbirds, including crash sites and wreckage storage. They also have a cool "bonus planes" feature that shows things like the SCA, V-22s, and other cool poo poo.

"SR-71B #61-7957
SR-71B tail number 17957 suffered a double generator failure over Washington 11 Jan 1968. She managed to stay airborne nearly 1000 miles before crashing less than 10 miles short of the runway at Beale AFB, CA. Both student pilot Capt David Fruehauf and his instructor, Lt Col Robert Sowers ejected safely. "

:monocle:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Electronaut posted:

"SR-71B #61-7957
SR-71B tail number 17957 suffered a double generator failure over Washington 11 Jan 1968. She managed to stay airborne nearly 1000 miles before crashing less than 10 miles short of the runway at Beale AFB, CA. Both student pilot Capt David Fruehauf and his instructor, Lt Col Robert Sowers ejected safely. "

:monocle:

Shiiiiiiit. That thing makes one hell of a glider. Or they were really, really loving high going really, really loving fast. Most likely the latter.

Also CF pilots doing exchanges with USMC is nothing new, we fly a very similar airframe (Until all of the USMC upgrades to the superbug) and we have less airframes than pilots at the moment I believe.

ALSO I MISSED THE FIRST HAMILTON AIR SHOW SINCE I WAS 15 OVER FATHER'S DAY FUUUUUUUUCK The Canadian Warplane Heritage has one of two flying Avro Lancasters and the show got shut down years ago because of loving stupid hippies and "blah blah IT'S A WAR SHOW blah blah" and I'm sad because I'm in Korea and only see ROK and USAF F-15/F-16s turning and burning out of Gwangju and Busan :(

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

My wife has a really nice certificate and tie pin for pulling 9Gs in her F-16. Sooo.. I don't know what's so great about being limited to around 4G maneuvers.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

MA-Horus posted:

Shiiiiiiit. That thing makes one hell of a glider. Or they were really, really loving high going really, really loving fast. Most likely the latter.

I think ballistic missile is the most apt comparison in this case.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Godholio posted:

That's because their jet sucks.

Edit: That's more a GIP post than AI, but oh well. Old Hornets do suck, relatively speaking.

Old Legendary hornets do not suck.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MA-Horus posted:

ALSO I MISSED THE FIRST HAMILTON AIR SHOW SINCE I WAS 15 OVER FATHER'S DAY FUUUUUUUUCK The Canadian Warplane Heritage has one of two flying Avro Lancasters and the show got shut down years ago because of loving stupid hippies and "blah blah IT'S A WAR SHOW blah blah" and I'm sad because I'm in Korea and only see ROK and USAF F-15/F-16s turning and burning out of Gwangju and Busan :(

It was good. It was much more focused on vintage warbirds than it had been before. I found some highlights on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjBdSsqIeM8

One sight I really wish I had gotten a picture of - the Hurricane was taxiing past the crowd with the pilot waving when the Lancaster did a low fly-by behind him.

The demise of the Hamilton Air show ten years ago was mostly because of skyrocketing insurance rates post 9/11, I think that's what also killed the London, Ontario air show. (I do remember those hippies, though. What a bunch of tools).

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 21, 2011

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

angryhampster, those are some awesome photos! I'm excited to see the A-10 West team at an airshow I'm attending July 1st. I love that plane. The F-15E team has been killing it this year too, very cool bunch of people. I enjoyed their display more than the Thunderbirds this year to be honest.

--

Since Nashville Intl is usually always busy, the C-130s used by the 118th AW for their C-130 international training center come down to Smyrna's airport to do their approach and takeoff training, it's good cheap entertainment to go hang out next to the runway and watch them practice for an hour or two every now and then.

C-130H (89-1183)

WC-130H (65-0984)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Since Nashville Intl is usually always busy, the C-130s used by the 118th AW for their C-130 international training center come down to Smyrna's airport to do their approach and takeoff training, it's good cheap entertainment to go hang out next to the runway and watch them practice for an hour or two every now and then.

C-130H (89-1183)

WC-130H (65-0984)

Great pics!

I wish BNA had more international flights, or a more diverse amount of planes. As much as I hate going to Newark because it is a shithole, its cool to see all the 747s and 777s and A320s and everything else. I've driven past the Smyrna airport a few times. Where do you usually shoot at?

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 21, 2011

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

DJCobol posted:

Great pics!

I wish BNA had more international flights, or a more diverse amount of planes. As much as I hate going to Newark because it is a shithole, its cool to see all the 747s and 777s and A320s and everything else. I've driven past the Smyrna airport a few times. Where do you usually shoot at?

Thanks man! They have an observation lot right off the beginning of runway 32 that you can park at and either go for a jog or sit back and watch the traffic land on the runway. There's also a spot on the other side near a bank (Beacon Federal) that you can park and photograph the stuff coming into runway 1 but that's usually just smaller traffic like Piper/Cessna planes.

Yeah I agree about BNA's traffic. It was kind of neat back when China Airlines brought their 747s to BNA to deliver parts for Dell, but that contract ended back in 2009 and since then it's been a torrent of 737s, MD88s and bizjets bizjets and more bizjets. Anything else and it's just luck of the draw if you see it. I frankly see more variation in MQY's traffic than BNA. During the winter an evangelist from Ohio parks his 747SP near the MQY tower:

I've tried to get on it a few times but they're extremely paranoid about showing the inside off after having a bad experience with some local aviation photogs (they were told not to photograph the interior, and of course they tried.. and were escorted off by police officers)

We had a Boeing C-32A come through here last year while Karzai was in Kentucky. I have a feeling another one will be coming to BNA pretty soon when VP Biden comes here.

edit: also MQY sees a lot of milair, it has been pretty slow this year but apparently they're gearing up for another deployment next year and I imagine it'll pick up as that gets closer. AC-130U's and Apaches aren't rare then.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 21, 2011

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Oopsie. Someone forgot how big the A380 is.

A380 Minus wingtip

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

a few more pictures here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flightblogger/2011/06/photo-of-note-a380s-too-close.html

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

HAHAHA I love how the wingtip is just stuck in the edge of the building.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Chase plane at Boeing Mesa just went down:

http://www.kold.com/story/14948352/boeing-helicopter-crashes-in-mesa-two-people-survive

Looks like the pilots are alive.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mr.Peabody posted:

My wife has a really nice certificate and tie pin for pulling 9Gs in her F-16. Sooo.. I don't know what's so great about being limited to around 4G maneuvers.

7.5, sir. :colbert:
http://youtu.be/gqc_hoZ9E1w

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tindjin posted:

Oopsie. Someone forgot how big the A380 is.

A380 Minus wingtip

It seems like one of these guys clips something every two weeks or so. Someone really should sit the pilots/yuke drivers down and say, "Look. This plane is loving huge, ok?"

Or bring back wingwalkers.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I think the last one was them hitting a plane that wasn't supposed to be there, this one was being towed when it hit the building. :psyduck:

"Hey Phil you think we're clear?"
"Yeah just gun it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They need to fit the nosecones with a pair of 130' whiskers. Works for cats...