Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
All you have to do is find the book that doesn't belong in that section to get a letter. For example, if you find a book about Ancients in the section about Engineering/Construction you would use the letter corresponding with the number from that book for 1/4 of the password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
loving Cloud and his psychosomatic reactions to headless women. Get over it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Bocc Kob posted:

That's gotta be some moth. :raise:
This is an FF game, those bastards are probably the size of eagles at LEAST.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Yes, yes, yes! Shinra tower owns.

The swinging bar isn't so hard, by the way. There's an audio cue that tells you when to jump. :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Every time i see Shinra tower, this plays in my head now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pJFpG9oJ1A

It's pretty hard to find good Trance remixes (most are predictable average droning poo poo), but this is powerful stuff. Very dark, very cold, practically exuding the evil money grubbing planet-killing company agenda.

This is pretty much boss music and, as such, well-suited to this level.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Back when I first played this I didn't have a memory card and this being my first big RPG I didn't really think I'd need one. This was about as far as I got (And I played the game often, always trying to get a little bit further.) I only got a memory card months later and could finally continue. The stuff we'll be seeing in the next few updates blew my mind back then.

Oh and you've been slacking a bit with soundtrack links in your updates Elentor.

This song starts playing when you're climbing the wire to Shinra HQ, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLPBeyU2V4U&feature=related

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.

John Luebke posted:

Back when I first played this I didn't have a memory card and this being my first big RPG I didn't really think I'd need one.

Between you and the guy who read the book during the car ride home wondering if he should play as Barret or Sephiroth first, I'm trying to remember what game related ignorance I had back in those days. I mean, my whole childhood is a lie since I grew up thinking that the level select code in Sonic 1 started with pressing A, B, C and then pressing Up, Down, Left, Right. That is just a misunderstanding though.

My friend got this game before I did, and whenever I played I think I only got about as far escaping the church with Aeris before I would have to stop so we could do something else. I began thinking that all of disc 1 must be Midgar since I was sure I saw my friend running around a world map, but he was on disc 2 at that point. I didn't learn the truth until I finally owned the game myself.

I had no idea that you could get such great stuff from stealing in this game. I'm getting really tempted to pop my discs into my computer and transfer it onto my PSP now.

Elentor posted:

Anyway let's move to the next floor.

I'm sure you meant to say, "Let's mosey."

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
It probably doesn't really come through these days, but infiltrating Shinra HQ really was really cool and atmospheric when I did it as a kid. The entire building seemed so ominous. Something is wrong, and you don't really know what. Those experiencing the game for the first time still don't.

Much, much better than any other "dungeon" area the game throws at you later on.

Maybe it's memory and imagining overriding what's actually given to the player, but I still think it's an awesome sequence to this day.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
A little late to the party, but I just want to echo the "I love taking the stairs" sentiment. Something about Barret and Tifa bitching all the way up makes me laugh every time. Especially "Stop acting like a retard and climb!"

That and one of Barret's lines coming up in the next update are a couple of my favorite lines in the whole game.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
If you didn't steal enough Carbon Bangles for the party members you are going to get before you can buy them in a store, you didn't steal correctly :colbert:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Wow. Would you believe I've never seen the stairs? I never went that way because I had heard of the fights in the end and the lack of Items. More fool me, I guess. Thanks for showing that off.

And you have to love how cartoonishly evil everyone on the Board seems to be. Also, loving that remix, HenryEx! Very nicely done.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
I never figured out the bookcase puzzle either, I just randomly guessed and got it right on dumb luck.

I absolutely love the first couple of hours in this game, it really hooked me in and wowed me when I was young.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Timber_Wolf posted:

I never figured out the bookcase puzzle either, I just randomly guessed and got it right on dumb luck.

I was like that on my very first playthrough. I simply guessed "Mako" and got it right on my first try.:smug:

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
What I don't get is that they are here to stop Shinra. They are in an airduck just above all key members of Shinra and Barret has a gun for a hand. Why isn't 1+1=2?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Because this is a universe where bracelets can stop bullets. Just because they look defenseless doesn't mean they are, and there's a ton of them in there.

Plus, the whole "Save Aeris first, before we make a commotion" thing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Grimlook posted:

What I don't get is that they are here to stop Shinra. They are in an airduck just above all key members of Shinra and Barret has a gun for a hand. Why isn't 1+1=2?

President Shinra is easily final boss material. He could have had 150,000 Hp and an array of horrible, bullshit attacks. And he probably would have turned into a giant monster or a robot or something.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Grimlook posted:

The answer to "why don't they just shoot President Shinra??" is forthcoming soon.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

President Shinra is easily final boss material. He could have had 150,000 Hp and an array of horrible, bullshit attacks. And he probably would have turned into a giant monster or a robot or something.

The world of a JRPG, where nothing is what it seems and some guy who you accidentally shoulder-check on the street can and will mash you into pulp.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doody the Clown posted:

All you have to do is find the book that doesn't belong in that section to get a letter. For example, if you find a book about Ancients in the section about Engineering/Construction you would use the letter corresponding with the number from that book for 1/4 of the password.

I knew I was forgetting something. Shame on me. I told you guys I didn't remember everything. :smith:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Elentor posted:

:cry::cry::nws::nms:AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:nms::nws::cry::cry:

Haha, when I was a kid playing FFVII for the first time, my reaction was pretty much this.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grimlook posted:

I think it's pretty much canon that in the world of FF7 you can't kill someone by just shooting at them. Like the life force protects them or something. Everyone would just go "drat that's some scratches" and start running while performing kung fu moves against you.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elentor posted:

I think it's pretty much canon that in the world of FF7 you can't kill someone by just shooting at them. Like the life force protects them or something. Everyone would just go "drat that's some scratches" and start running while performing kung fu moves against you.

This sounds a lot like Bleach.

Honestly the FF7 cast would fit into that anime pretty well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I can think of two people who die from getting shot. Oddly enough, they both have 4-letter-names.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dauntasa posted:

Oddly enough, they both have 4-letter-names.

:goonsay:

Why is that important?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Why is that important?

It's not. I just realized that the only two characters from this game I can remember dying from bullets have 4 letter names. It's an odd coincidence, is all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

zenintrude posted:

Why is that important?

Because "guns" and "shot" also have four letters!

Also;

Elentor, this is your fault. This is all your fault. Maybe this time I'll actually finish it!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dragonatrix posted:

Also;

Elentor, this is your fault. This is all your fault. Maybe this time I'll actually finish it!

Oh God don't tell me you farmed for 99 Ghost Hands.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Good God, you're actually going for 100%? I certainly hope you enjoy farming 99 of every entirely useless item out there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Before seeing that screenshot of Jenova, I had never been able to grasp what was actually being shown. Every time I played it, it looked more like a huge head to me (sort of like a blue version of Red) and Barret's line never made sense.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Are... are you going to make a giant set of chainmail with all those bangles? :stare:

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

Also;

Wouldn't it just be easier to steal 1 of each of those items and use that glitch later on in the game to increase your supply? :confused:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nope! You can't get Iron Bangles anywhere else, and that glitch only works for items you can use in battle, like the aforementioned Ghost Hands. No such luck for weapons/armour; gotta steal or buy 99 of them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dragonatrix posted:

Nope! You can't get Iron Bangles anywhere else, and that glitch only works for items you can use in battle, like the aforementioned Ghost Hands. No such luck for weapons/armour; gotta steal or buy 99 of them.

You... you are truly insane. So this is what madness looks like. I salute you.

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dragonatrix posted:

I meant the items like Ghost Hands. Real pros max out an all materia, then sell it for 1.5 million gil, spending the money made on 99 of everything from then on, as well as fast cars, loose women, and prime real estate :whatup: Then get someone else to farm that crap for you.

Although for stuff like hard to come by weapons and armors, I would get enough for the maximum number of party members (it occurs to me now that you're going for the straight-up "perfect game").

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
drat, and I thought my attempt to follow Ulillia's 70-hour method of achieving level 99 in FFXII was crazy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

I meant the items like Ghost Hands. Real pros max out an all materia, then sell it for 1.5 million gil, spending the money made on 99 of everything from then on, as well as fast cars, loose women, and prime real estate :whatup: Then get someone else to farm that crap for you.

Although for stuff like hard to come by weapons and armors, I would get enough for the maximum number of party members (it occurs to me now that you're going for the straight-up "perfect game").

It never even occurred to me to get 99 of every item, and I've played through this game tons of times. I always sell the crap I don't need. I don't like it making GBS threads up my inventory. So, I guess I'm more in your camp about what I consider "perfect game."

I mean, I still do all the sidequests and get multiple sets of master materia. I still break the game into a thousand pieces. That, to me, is much more important (and a lot less tedious, good God!) than getting 99 of every item.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

So, there's an armour that you're only supposed to be able to get 2 of, but you can actually get 3 if you do a certain glitch. Does only having two count as 100%, since that's the most the designers intended you to get?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dauntasa posted:

So, there's an armour that you're only supposed to be able to get 2 of, but you can actually get 3 if you do a certain glitch. Does only having two count as 100%, since that's the most the designers intended you to get?

I doubt the designers intended for you to get 99 iron bangles, so I imagine that third armor counts.

Then again, this entire idea is just loving warped, so who knows?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I remember being struck by how Hojo's ponytail looks like a necktie being worn backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Well, following the set rules of the game, 2 would be 100% of them. Just like in the Metroidvania games, if you can get more items than is supposed to be possible or uncover more map squares than is supposed to be possible, you go above 100%. It is important to not confuse how the developer intends you to play and what the game tries to allow. I'm sure the developer didn't intend for me to run Star Ocean 2 with only Claude and Rena, but I'm doing it anyway.

• Locked thread