Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The phone is so wide that is creates some typing complications if you use the single hand approach. When you type on a screen you tap the area with as little of your finger as possible. Because this phone is so wide, when you bring your thumb over to the left side of the phone to hit that area, your thumb has to stretch more and when you press down, a larger area of the phone is getting tapped because of how far your thumb has to stretch.

I'm someone with big hands so it's not a major problem. But I also have hitchhikers thumb so my thumb operates kind of weird.

Again, Sense UI is incredible and all the poo poo they added is amazing.

Edit: I'm gonna make a short list of new stuff to Sense UI that i'm finding.

New Appearance.
Wait Screen slide is new
Wait Screen weather app occupies entire screen.
Wait Screen application use.
Smaller bottom button on UI. 3 buttons.
Drag down option on top now has a "recent application area" and a "quick settings" tab for Wi-Fi, hotspot, mobile network, 4g, bluetooth, gps, access to all settings and memory usage.
All 7 tiles/scenes are connected. If they are numbered 1-7, with 4 being the home, you can get to 7 from 1 and vice versa.
App screen is now in pages and not all 1 page. If you scroll down you get an entire new page of apps and not a row of new apps. App screen now has a "frequent" tab and a "downloaded" tab.
New tile/scene area. Now separated into categories display, home, sound and sub categories like wallpaper, widgets, apps.
Skins for Sense. You make a Sense UI account now and you can use it to download new stuff, including skins.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The device is actually narrower than the EVO 4G, for reference.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The camera button clicks in twice for me, which I think it's supposed to. It feels like there's two "levels" of clicking, each with a satisfying *click* noise.
Click to focus, click more to shoot.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

ShowTime posted:

The phone is so wide that is creates some typing complications if you use the single hand approach. When you type on a screen you tap the area with as little of your finger as possible. Because this phone is so wide, when you bring your thumb over to the left side of the phone to hit that area, your thumb has to stretch more and when you press down, a larger area of the phone is getting tapped because of how far your thumb has to stretch.

For anyone who reads this and currently has an Evo: it is actually thinner than the Evo 4G.

SLOSifl posted:

Click to focus, click more to shoot.
I figured that was the case, I thought it was weird there would be two actual clicks. I've had cameras where you kind of half-hold down the button to focus, but it's never felt like pressing a button.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

When you click the button all the way down, with the screen off, does it launch the camera?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Just an fyi for you new evo 3d owners, the four shortcuts on the lockscreen are configurable.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

When you click the button all the way down, with the screen off, does it launch the camera?

Nope. But if you bring up the lock screen you can load the camera from there. So it's 2 button presses instead of 1.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Excited new phone impressions

Just when I was thinking that two more days to wait was no big deal.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The camera button clicks in twice for me, which I think it's supposed to. It feels like there's two "levels" of clicking, each with a satisfying *click* noise.

Yeah it's a two stage button. Press half way to focus, then all the way to take the picture. Can you tell me if pressing the camera button launches the camera app when you're not in it? And will it unlock the phone if it's asleep or do you need to use the power button and lockscreen?

Edit: question answered.

Now if only someone can answer my previous questions about call quality, 3G and 4G connectivity and speeds. drat me for not being patient!!!

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ffffffuck I should call telesales and order one. Argh. I was going to wait for more user reviews, but my consumer lust is throbbing. Also, if someone can indicate if this phone is capable of using the Nextel bands for 3G data out of the box that would be super.

Edit: Screw it I bought it. If the Nexus 3 shows up I will just sell the 3D and buy the Nexus off contract.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know how the update for the shift is please. My fiance got it and her shift has gone to poo poo since the update. Really frustrating.

Anything specific? My sister updated her shift and is having a few problems, most notably being unable to text certain contacts. She uses the stock messaging app and when she types a text to some people and hits "send" it greys the button for a second then goes back to normal like she just typed the message and hadn't hit send yet. Even after she deleted the thread/contact and reentered everything it wouldn't let her send a text.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just got mine. This box is loving classy. All embossed and poo poo, pull tab top open. Nice PSA on the plastic wrap for the phone itself, Sprint. EYES ON THE ROAD. HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

This phone is one hell of a lot more solid feeling than my Epic, which was a bit lighter than this. The fact that you can feel the bezel seems to be made of metal adds to that.

e: It feels better in my giant hands.

e2: It wouldn't activate over 3G so I turned on Wifi and it took like 20 seconds to go through the activation process, and a restart finished it. The weather on the lockscreen is of the "You have to be making GBS threads me" variety.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 22, 2011

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know how the update for the shift is please. My fiance got it and her shift has gone to poo poo since the update. Really frustrating.

There's been hiccups. My netflix app streams audio but no video. Since it's not officially supported, I'm not to concerned with that.

The most major thing so far has been some programs crashing the first time I ran them after the update but then working after that. The biggest pain is having to enter all my usernames and passwords into everything again.

What's happening with hers? I'll try and lookout for the same stuff.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Got my 3deeeez!... I dont know why im so excited. I feel like driving to a sprint store and having them activate it for me.

Getimmaaw fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 22, 2011

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007
You jerks killed sprints ordering page. I hit checkout and I get this:

code:
500: Server Error [20-0004]

This server has encountered an internal error which prevents it from fulfilling your request. The most likely cause is a misconfiguration. Please ask the administrator to look for messages in the server's error log.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

The Entire Universe posted:

The weather on the lockscreen is of the "You have to be making GBS threads me" variety.
In a good way? I think it's awesome.

We're thunderstorming hard out here in MA right now, and I put the weather live wallpaper on, and it was loving epic. Zooming though black thunder clouds as lightning crashed everywhere... beautifully epic.

edit: Just in case people didn't know / forgot, the Evo 3D comes with Swype preinstalled, just log-press a textbox, input method, Swype. It's already enabled, just have to select it.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 22, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

In a good way? I think it's awesome.

We're thunderstorming hard out here in MA right now, and I put the weather live wallpaper on, and it was loving epic. Zooming though black thunder clouds as lightning crashed everywhere... beautifully epic.

edit: Just in case people didn't know / forgot, the Evo 3D comes with Swype preinstalled, just log-press a textbox, input method, Swype. It's already enabled, just have to select it.

Yes, in a good way.

Also, go to the personalize settings, go to Lockscreen, and have a look at what the friendstream is saying.

e: Plants v Zombies loads so fuckin' fast.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I would do this but it's already "Out for delivery"...

It lists my address as:
#### Streetname#### Streetname
City, State Zip

I had our secretary or whatever put a giant sign that says if it's for me, it's for our company on the mailbox. Hopefully that's enough.

Mine was out for delivery all day, except somehow despite me being home the entire day, FedEx decided that I wasn't available and took it back to the shipping center or whatever. Of course, they didn't even leave a note on the door, the only way I know this is their online tracker. Oh and Sprint has a restriction on it so that I can't pick it up tonight and it has to fail delivery again before being held so I can pick it up myself. I hate shipping companies so much :mad:

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 22, 2011

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

drat, now I wish I hadn't pre-ordered my 3D at Best Buy. Having to wait until Friday sucks. Is there any word on when that case with the kickstand will be available?

Edit: Saw some first hand reviews today saying that call quality sucks and some people are having trouble connecting to Internet, can anyone comment?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 22, 2011

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ugh, mine still isn't here. I was hoping it would be by the time I got done with what I had to do today.

My phone definitely knows its time is short. Nav wouldn't work today, it took me 2 minutes to type out a text message because the a and e keys don't want to work half the time, it's down to under 40% battery with incredibly light use after just 6 hours off the charger, etc...

I think it's delaying the UPS guy somehow. Give me my new phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MatCauthon posted:

drat, now I wish I hadn't pre-ordered my 3D at Best Buy. Having to wait until Friday sucks. Is there any word on when that case with the kickstand will be available?

Edit: Saw some first hand reviews today saying that call quality sucks and some people are having trouble connecting to Internet, can anyone comment?

a) I have had no trouble connecting to the internet either over 3G or Wifi.

b) Call quality seems OK but nothing spectacular. I don't notice any difference between this and my Epic.

Also, I preordered mine from BB, then used the $50 GC a couple days later to buy Infamous 2, then ordered this early from Sprint. :buddy:

e: Just realized my Epic has a 16GB card in it while the Evo 3D came with an 8 gig. I probably should switch them.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 22, 2011

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

MatCauthon posted:

Call quality is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. Person on the other end said there was a sliiight "tin" sound, and then said it sounded like any other cell phone.

As for the internet, I am not having a problem with it, no. What were the issues, specifically?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Call quality is fine. There's nothing wrong with it. Person on the other end said there was a sliiight "tin" sound, and then said it sounded like any other cell phone.

As for the internet, I am not having a problem with it, no. What were the issues, specifically?

IIRC, something about the connection having trouble switching from 4G to 3G or vice versa which caused slow load time for websites, and some tinny noise on the caller end or garbled sounding audio on the receivers end.

Nothing that would stop me from buying it, but just curious.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

MatCauthon posted:

IIRC, something about the connection having trouble switching from 4G to 3G or vice versa which caused slow load time for websites, and some tinny noise on the caller end or garbled sounding audio on the receivers end.

Well the receiver did say it sounded a bit tinny, yes, but she said it was just normal cell/smartphone quality.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

You guys have no idea how excited a phone with a physical focus button makes me.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
UPS just went by without an Evo for me :( Guess 3pm was too late to order yesterday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sonicice posted:

UPS just went by without an Evo for me :( Guess 3pm was too late to order yesterday.

Doesn't look like I'm getting mine either even though it has been "Out for delivery" all day. I've never gotten anything past about 5pm here.

edit: It's here :woop:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Problem: no netflix app in the market.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Entire Universe posted:

Problem: no netflix app in the market.

Solution: wait like 2 days for the official release, root it (I'm assuming)

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
One nice touch on Sense 3.0 is that the widget elements are actually animated independently. When you spin from, say, the main home screen with the clock/weather widget to something else, you can see the clock rollers on the side of the numbers, and you can see the other numbers underneath. The text also lifts off separately and moves at a different speed.

This is also really obvious on the weather widget. Just slowly move from page to page (reaaaalllly slowly) and you can see the temperature text rotate and "lift" off the weather background.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
:siren: I know you're all excited, and I'm waiting anxiously for my 3D as well BUT I would like to do a quick review of rules for these occasions:

Ok to post:
Short reviews of your new phone
Maybe some unboxing photos if few or none have been posted
Sprint telling you the 3D is backordered and it will be 3 weeks before you get one
Stuff we might all care about

Not ok to post (i.e. how to get probation):
UPS play-by-play of your personal shipment status in any form including low-content hits like "it's here," "out for delivery," and "there's no tracking number"

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Admit it, you typed all that other stuff just so you wouldn't have to probate yourself for a personal shipment status, didn't you?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

diospadre posted:

Admit it, you typed all that other stuff just so you wouldn't have to probate yourself for a personal shipment status, didn't you?

*Probates self*

Actually I pre-ordered at a Sprint store, if anyone else did and hasn't received a call about it you might check on your order. It's not a bad deal, I got a call last week and they scheduled a time for me to come in and get it. No lines for this nerd guy.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This phone is the best phone I have ever used. No keyboard lag on the full forums, either!

Of course, I am coming from a Pre followed by a Hero, so for others it may not seem like much of a jump, but it sure is for me. I keep looking for a trackball. Ideal orientation is landscape. The width of the phone makes it a bit awkward to try and use one handed while typing, particularly with the placement of the physical camera button.

Otherwise, beautiful refined and otherwise AMAZING. ZERO lag anywhere!

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 23, 2011

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

This phone is the best phone I have ever used. No keyboard lag on the full forums, either!

Of course, I am coming from a Pre followed by a Hero, so for others it may not seem like much of a jump, but it sure is for me. I keep looking for a trackball. Ideal orientation is landscape. The width of the phone makes it a bit awkward to try and use one handed while typing, particularly with the placement of the physical camera button.

Otherwise, beautiful refined and otherwise AMAZING. ZERO lag anywhere!

This is me right down to the phone order. So frightening.

But yes, best phone i've ever used. After using it for awhile I can also so that the screen is beautiful.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I have to say that after playing with it for a while that I tend to agree about the thoughts that 3d is more of a gimmick at this point. Still, its a nice option to have if I want it. Doesn't hurt my eyes either.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Could someone do me a favor and tell me how much free 'internal memory' it shows under storage in options? I'm wondering how much app storage space is available.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

*Probates self*

Actually I pre-ordered at a Sprint store, if anyone else did and hasn't received a call about it you might check on your order. It's not a bad deal, I got a call last week and they scheduled a time for me to come in and get it. No lines for this nerd guy.

See, that's what they told me as well (about setting up an appointment to pick it up), and I never got a call after I pre-ordered. I called today to verify if they were setting up appointments and the guy told me that they don't do appointments at their store. That store isn't usually super busy, but it IS small and I'm gonna be kind of miffed if I have to sit around for two hours after work to pick up the phone. The girlfriend is coming to meet me and we'll be picking between the Nexus S and another EVO 3D for her, so the time won't be totally wasted, but I'm gonna be pretty impatient come 4 pm Friday. :v:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there any way to reduce the number of homescreens in Sense 3.0? I'm loving it, but I only use 3 home screens and I don't need to scroll to 4 empty screens...

Comparing this with my old Hero is impossible, they are two completely different things.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

spidoman posted:

Is there any way to reduce the number of homescreens in Sense 3.0? I'm loving it, but I only use 3 home screens and I don't need to scroll to 4 empty screens...

Comparing this with my old Hero is impossible, they are two completely different things.

Rosie has no configuration options like that as far as I know. You're stuck with 7 unfortunately. But just get used to hitting home or pinch zooming out to helicopter view and choosing your screen that way and you'll never swipe through empty screens again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Man KC has some awesome coverage. I was at 4-5 bars my entire time there and my battery life was awesome.

You would think that they would give a poo poo about their little brother up the road from them in Omaha, but I guess not.