Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Well, the LS1 I ordered came in:

It's considerably smaller than the MX300, which makes it pretty darn small, as that the 300 isn't exactly the biggest mouse in the lineup. The cord is thinner and the buttons have a much louder click to them. The wheel is also a tad loose, so that if you push the wheel up a little bit, your webpage will scroll up even though you don't hear the audible 'click' that usually indicates your scroll wheel's been activated. The sides of the mouse have a tacky rubber applied underneath the lime green line that you see in the picture.

The laser seems to be quite sensitive, compared to my MX it covers a lot more screen distance for the same amount of movement. This is very disorienting to me, I'd have to tone down the sensitivity a notch or two to be able to use the mouse the same way.

Bottom line is, it's no MX300. I'd use it as a backup or for my netbook, but it's not going to be a suitable replacement anytime soon.

e: Be glad I didn't take a picture of the rest of my desk or you'd have a heart attack :v:

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
poo poo son.. Either clean your mouse pad or get a new one. :stare:

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
someone help me. I now own 3 logitech MX mice and I need another.

portable (anywhere mx) ? check
desktop (performance mx)? check
office (mx310)? check

now I'm wanting a second performance mx for the office.

I'm also thinking of moving my "plays best on alienware!" branded funcpad to the office just for the entertainment of the wtf looks from everyone asking me "why do you still use a mousepad!?"

nftyw: please clean your poo poo. I just threw up a little.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

thrawn86 posted:

now I'm wanting a second performance mx for the office.
Why? Do you pilot two computers at once?

quote:

my "plays best on alienware!" branded funcpad
You are a horrible monster.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 14, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Why? Do you pilot two computers at once?

You are a horrible monster.

it gets annoying having to pack it all up. and it was a gift :( great pad either way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

thrawn86 posted:

it gets annoying having to pack it all up.
Just buy a second receiver.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

thrawn86 posted:

someone help me. I now own 3 logitech MX mice and I need another.

portable (anywhere mx) ? check
desktop (performance mx)? check
office (mx310)? check

I'll offer you my MX300 for a cool forty bucks. :v: I'll even throw in a free mousepad! Pretty much nearly impossible to find this model anywhere anymore, too. No, not really.

edit: Well, I tried cleaning what I could, but I've had this mouse and pad for what must be over six years at least. It's pretty much beyond what a simple cleaning can help at this point. :v: You'll just have to take solace that your mousing surface and device look a million times better than mine.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 14, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

any reason why the performance mx app switcher and sidescroll wouldn't work under XP, but the anywhere mx would?

nftyw posted:

I'll offer you my MX300 for a cool forty bucks. :v: I'll even throw in a free mousepad! Pretty much nearly impossible to find this model anywhere anymore, too. No, not really.

edit: Well, I tried cleaning what I could, but I've had this mouse and pad for what must be over six years at least. It's pretty much beyond what a simple cleaning can help at this point. :v: You'll just have to take solace that your mousing surface and device look a million times better than mine.

theres no excuse to not own a performance mousepad these days, they're like 15 bucks.

if the performance goes on sale again at newegg I'll just pull the trigger. I've spent the last 6 years I've owned the mx310 raging against large "ergonomic" mice, but the performance mx has pretty much changed my entire computing experience.

the middle click kinda sucks though (I use the app switcher button on the mx anywhere as middle click) and I use that alot, so its hard to get used to.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thrawn86 posted:

theres no excuse to not own a performance mousepad these days, they're like 15 bucks.

Really, I'm using a performance barstool and my Performance MX is working pretty good.

Although, the only FPS I still play is Team Fortress. Your mileage may vary, and so on.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Can anyone comment on the G9X? Trying to decide between that or a G500.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

central posted:

Can anyone comment on the G9X? Trying to decide between that or a G500.

G9X -> small hands and/or claw/finger grip
G500 -> large hands and/or finger/palm grip

That's pretty much all of it. The G500 also has an extra thumb button and a mechanical hyperwheel switch.

kagebot
Oct 6, 2003
The successor to the 518 is coming

HERE is a bit of Q&A

Basically, the g400 is an updated version of the 518mx, same size, number/position of buttons.
The only downside that you could note from any of the given information is that it has angle snapping built in to the mouse which can not be disabled from the software.

I still pre-ordered for $50, my 518 has lasted longer than my 510 :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
^^

I guess you missed the guy from Logitech telling us about this, previous page

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

G9X -> small hands and/or claw/finger grip
G500 -> large hands and/or finger/palm grip

That's pretty much all of it. The G500 also has an extra thumb button and a mechanical hyperwheel switch.

The G9x has a switch for that as well, it's just on the underside of the mouse.

I own both and I prefer the G500 for it's shape, but both mice are pretty great.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

The G9x has a switch for that as well, it's just on the underside of the mouse.

I own both and I prefer the G500 for it's shape, but both mice are pretty great.

Yeah, I and therefore almost completely useless. I had a non-gaming mouse that had the switch on top (I can't actually remember its model) and I really loved going from freewheel while browsing to clickwheel while playing games. But in some games if you don't use the wheel often the first time you remember to change the function is when you accidentally change weapons or something, because the freewheel rolled a little when you just moved the mouse. On the G9x that takes two hands, or at least for you to flip the mouse over, lay it down, and flip it back (or have much, much longer thumbs than I have, in which case the mouse is probably too small).

If I remember correctly the G9x has a different sensor than the G500 that is prone to negative acceleration. I used to care about that but I can't even notice it so I don't let it bother me.

central
Dec 13, 2003
sup free
Am I the only one that thinks the g500 is ugly? What's with the bruised chrome look? Although I guess it will keep from showing fingerprints or cheeto dust.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Anyone having problems with their freescroll wheel? setpoint won't let me save the "1 line" setting, and "3 lines" is waaaay too fast.

The only way around it is by using application-specific scroll settings like chrome's smoothscroll. Unfortunately I don't care for chrome.

central posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the g500 is ugly? What's with the bruised chrome look? Although I guess it will keep from showing fingerprints or cheeto dust.

it is kinda funny looking.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
So I'm in Japan with my laptop and I realised that I didn't bring my G5.

Off to the shop to get another Logite-

:stare:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiru posted:

:stare:

The factories must be selling the molds because that looks a lot like my mouse.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, that is surreal. I thought it'd be some kinda knockoff but apparantly they renamed the name of their Japanese branch. My assumption here is the original name has some kind of unfortunate problem in how it's spelled/pronounced, I guess?

edit: Ah. From Wikipedia:

"In the Japanese market, Logitech uses the brand name Logicool[2] since a company known as Logitec (ロジテック rojitekku?) that focuses on computer peripheral devices has existed in that country since 1982, and its parent company, Elecom, has used the brand name since 1974. Similar-sounding trademarks in the same industry can be infringing; Logitech chose to avoid this situation."

Take that home to the states and you'll make a few heads turn like 'whaaaat?'

nftyw fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 20, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

wiru posted:

Out of curiosity, is the scale unchanged from the Performance MX that is sold in the West? I would figure that non-laptop mice could really use getting scaled down for the smaller East Asian hand size.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Goo when is the g400 going up on amazon :(

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009

nftyw posted:

edit: Ah. From Wikipedia
Yeah, Elecom are big here, so having a corporate pissing match would be a bad idea.

nftyw posted:

take that home to the states and you'll make a few heads turn like 'whaaaat?'
Home's actually down under for me, but it's sold as Logitech there as well. :australia:

NihilCredo posted:

Out of curiosity, is the scale unchanged from the Performance MX that is sold in the West? I would figure that non-laptop mice could really use getting scaled down for the smaller East Asian hand size.
I don't really think so.. The G5 I have fits like a glove and so does this MX. Plus all the Japanese I've seen have fairly "normal" hands, anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

thrawn86 posted:

my "plays best on alienware!" branded funcpad

I have one of these that actually came with an Alienware desktop. It still works excellently after over seven years of steady use, although the slick side has become so slick that some optical/laser mouses will bug out on it.

I kind of want to bring it into work now too, although lots of people at my office use gel-wristrest pads for ergonomics.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 20, 2011

kagebot
Oct 6, 2003

kri kri posted:

This. I though these things were supposed to ship the 20th, but now I cant find anything that says when it will.
When I check on the status (ordered through logitech) it just says-

Order Status: Order Submitted

UPDATE - called logitech this morning, the rep said it would ship 1st week of August.

kagebot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 22, 2011

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Does anyone who has been around this desk know if mice can track on it (without a mousepad)?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39842986#/S49870846/
(ikea galant in glass black)

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

kri kri posted:

They are exclusive at Best Buy until early July or possibly August like the rep told the other guy but not me.

I'm on vacation right now so I'm not really going to bother trying to find out until I get back into the office.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What's the best mouse for spindly large hands? (palm to tip of middle finger: 8")

I'm happy with my G5 but the click wheel has been messing up a ton lately and I am always willing to try new mice. The best mouse I've ever used was a standard Microsoft optical mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel but I'm hoping to find something that supports a finger grip with back/forward buttons.

I use my fingertips when moving my G5 but was looking for something lighter and a bit smaller. I mostly play games with it.

Any ideas? I was thinking either the g9x, Xai Laser, or DeathAdder. Any others I should be looking at?

Did they ever fix the grip peeling issues of the g9x?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Any ideas? I was thinking either the g9x, Xai Laser, or DeathAdder. Any others I should be looking at?

Did they ever fix the grip peeling issues of the g9x?

I have a G9x. I have tiny hands and it's almost perfect for me. I'm afraid that your spindle fingers may not be comfortable unless you use a fingertip grip.

I'm not aware of any grip peeling issues but it has two grips and I've only used each for about three months (liked rough at first and now smooth, I must be fickle).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bit the bullet and got the g9x. I tested some mice I listed and it was the only one that felt right for my massive spider fingers. :)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

Does anyone who has been around this desk know if mice can track on it (without a mousepad)?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39842986#/S49870846/
(ikea galant in glass black)

Any Logitech with Darkfield... err there's only two? Should be able to handle that. There are probably some other manufacturers who do the same.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Any Logitech with Darkfield... err there's only two? Should be able to handle that. There are probably some other manufacturers who do the same.

eagerly awaiting the next 'performance' logitech thats not a 'gaming' mouse.

today I forgot my mx at home, and had to use a spare from the box of mice in IT. today was a bad day.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Bit the bullet and got the g9x. I tested some mice I listed and it was the only one that felt right for my massive spider fingers. :)
I also like my G9 and have long fingers.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Goo posted:

They are exclusive at Best Buy until early July or possibly August like the rep told the other guy but not me.

I'm on vacation right now so I'm not really going to bother trying to find out until I get back into the office.

This sucks :( I don't see it on the BB website even. Oh well, have a great vacation!

kagebot
Oct 6, 2003

Goo posted:

They are exclusive at Best Buy until early July.

Where did you read that?
Its not on the site or in the store.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

kagebot posted:

Where did you read that?
Its not on the site or in the store.

He works for Logitech, so he probably read it at work. :ssh:

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

So a question for the Razer Naga users, have you ever had an issue where the mouse jumps horizontally around the screen on multiple displays? And I mean *perfectly* horizontal from left to right periodically, and not "your laser is dirty" jumping.

It's the weirdest drat thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CubanRefugee posted:

So a question for the Razer Naga users, have you ever had an issue where the mouse jumps horizontally around the screen on multiple displays? And I mean *perfectly* horizontal from left to right periodically, and not "your laser is dirty" jumping.

It's the weirdest drat thing.
I had that issue with my Imperator, however with the latest firmware update it has stopped doing that.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

You Am I posted:

I had that issue with my Imperator, however with the latest firmware update it has stopped doing that.

Yeah, I was hoping it was the same thing, but sadly I'm on the latest driver and firmware. Oh well, I'll probably see if it acts the same on my laptop, and worst case, just buy a new mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I was reading a review of those R.A.T. mice and I learnt something interesting:

quote:

You also get an awesome precision aim button that can be set to slow the DPI settings down for making headshots almost too easy.

This seems like a much better way for changing DPI on-the-fly, at least the way I normally use it (sniper rifle - zoom - DPI down - shoot - DPI up - change weapon or aim elsewhere - repeat).

Has anyone got any idea to make, say, a G500's thumb button behave this way (i.e. decrease the DPI only while it's pressed)? The SetPoint macro software doesn't seem to record the pressing of the DPI buttons, and I can't find a way to emulate them with Autohotkey or some such (you can control the Windows cursor speed, but that won't affect many games).