Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

AchtungBaby posted:

Anyways, I'm looking for a new build to play with now. I've played with a magic-moon uchigatana build, a faith blessed polearms build, and a blue blood sword build. Can I get any goons recommendations? I was thinking of doing STR-DEX or a meat cleaver build. But I don't really see anything on the de wiki that really catches my eye. Help me out guys.

I've always had a weakness for vitality builds. Especially if they're not too min/maxed and have some supporting spells. They do decent damage in normal mode, insane in hyper. You can get Demonbrandt very early on in NG and immediately go for pure white character tendency and utterly steamroll NG. Aside from the North Regalia base stats, you really don't need much in the form of stats and can immediately focus on endurance and vitality, giving you a very powerful melee build early on. You can use moon and dragon weapons as backup for Demonbrandt.

Hrmz... I think I'll go for a stealth/vitality strategy for my next character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: vvvv is that even possible? As far as I can tell you can't put down a blue stone beyond the maneater's archstone.
There is a very small zone at the bottom of the tower where you can put down stones.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I decided on being different and made a left handed character this morning.

I deleted him 20 minutes later it's a terrible idea.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Holy poo poo guys I think I found a way to get infinite white world tendency, even in a world where you've killed all the bosses. I was trying out that colourless demon's soul farming trick, where you invade another world just as you pick up the colourless soul, and the primeval demon is still alive when you turn to your own world. Well you know that killing a primeval demon gives you +3 white world tendency right? Yeah. You get the tendency boost as soon as you kill the demon but he's still there when you get back. The tendency change only triggers when you return to the nexus so you can kill the PD three times consecutively to take the world all the way from pure black to pure white. You can even leave the PD alive after returning from invading another world, letting you repeat this later if you need to. You'll need to get the world back down to pure black though for the PD to show up again.

I just inadvertently did this to world 2, it's now at pure white. Does anyone else want to try this out on some other worlds to see if it definitely works? I only have a couple of eye stones left so it's going to take a while for me to test this myself.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
^^^ I would but I'm on the Asian server.

I just picked this game up after 2 years and this message is still here. I'm pretty sure there is nothing beyond this gate as I've been in PBWT before and the gate's always locked.

Convincing message, since it's also been rated over 200 times.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sunday Punch posted:

Holy poo poo guys I think I found a way to get infinite white world tendency, even in a world where you've killed all the bosses. I was trying out that colourless demon's soul farming trick, where you invade another world just as you pick up the colourless soul, and the primeval demon is still alive when you turn to your own world. Well you know that killing a primeval demon gives you +3 white world tendency right? Yeah. You get the tendency boost as soon as you kill the demon but he's still there when you get back. The tendency change only triggers when you return to the nexus so you can kill the PD three times consecutively to take the world all the way from pure black to pure white. You can even leave the PD alive after returning from invading another world, letting you repeat this later if you need to. You'll need to get the world back down to pure black though for the PD to show up again.

I just inadvertently did this to world 2, it's now at pure white. Does anyone else want to try this out on some other worlds to see if it definitely works? I only have a couple of eye stones left so it's going to take a while for me to test this myself.

Yes, this works.

redreader posted:

Sheep-Goats! Bad news, I didn't get any pure moonlightstones, just a bunch of chunks. I ground 3-3 and 3-2 on darkest tendency and it was a no go.

Goddamn it. Same poo poo that happened to me. I still will get you an iCat don't worry.

Anyone else have a pure darkmoonstone for me? The character is at 40 but I can get her to wherever you are (up to 120) pretty quickly BY CHEATING.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just lost to the old monk four times in a row (two NPCs, two players). I also hate that intro now...

edit: vvvv is that even possible? As far as I can tell you can't put down a blue stone beyond the maneater's archstone.

If you get a player for your Old Monk fight it can be really difficult to kill him. If he's wearing the Cling Ring when he gets summoned in there's a fuckup in the math and they end up with a fuckload of HP. Also, when it comes time for you to get the Monk's Wrap you'll end up sitting there at the base of the tower (you can blue stone right on the first step up) for five or ten minutes usually before you get summoned in as the boss and you don't want to wait around again so you grass like crazy and do everything you can to win that fight. I killed my last two phantoms but I play PVP some (I lose a lot but I also usually use mages and to be honest weapons are probably stronger overall) and prepped for the fight outside of the door as though it were PVP. Prepping looks like this:

1) Forget your shield, shields don't help vs. other players as they'll bash through them and kill you. Put adjudicator on your back instead if you're melee.
2) You don't need that Thief's ring. Put on something else to help out -- regenerator, ring of magical dullness, graverobbers if nothing else.
3) Cast warding or second chance if you brought them along.
4) Get a grass ready in your square slot, get your weapon held like you want it (two hands with adjudicator on your back).
5) Go through the door and immediately roll twice, once foreward and once at a ninety degree angle to the side. Lots of people try to backstab you upon entry. Sometimes they still catch you but usually if you get backstabbed out of a roll it does no damage.

One other funny thing to do is, if you have firestorm or God's Wrath, cast it next to the doorway and see if you hit anything. The backstabbers lurk to one side of the door or the other and you can often hit them with one of these spells through the wall.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it even worth trying the Old Monk fight with the dragon bone smasher?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Should be a good choice, you'll basically be playing ping pong with and Old Monk body the whole time. Bring some black turpentine or sticky white stuff to buff your weapon just before you go inside (if you don't have Curse Weapon yet).

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sunday Punch posted:

ugh I am so sick of watching the old monk intro video. I just want that goddamn head wrap! I guess I'm helping a lot of people beat world 3 at least.

what soul level are you I could give you one of mine. people keep getting mind flayed and I get free ones

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

The first time I saw that sword, it was being used on me in that fight. I dodge rolled it (backwards, out of range) but it still got me. There's some kind of 'wave' or blowback even if it misses you, making you stagger. That's what happened to me at least, I was pretty much helpless.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Krinkle posted:

what soul level are you I could give you one of mine. people keep getting mind flayed and I get free ones

Nah I finally got one after a dude got stabbed by one of the mind flayers. Thanks for the offer though :)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I just got beat by someone who was unarmed.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy poo poo I just got beat by someone who was unarmed.

When I was screwing around with the world tendency I invaded some guys game, then when I found him I took off all my armour and weapons because I just wanted him to kill me. Instead he did the same and we proceeded to have a long, drawn out battle of fisticuffs. We were both doing barely any damage to each other but it was pretty funny.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ok, while I didn't go so well against players, the NPC Old Monk is an absolute pushover with the dragon bone crusher.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just could have stopped about 5 words sooner. Dual claws don't really do much

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Just could have stopped about 5 words sooner. Dual claws don't really do much
Actually I got one-shotted by critical hits the two times I lost to the NPC before.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually I got one-shotted by critical hits the two times I lost to the NPC before.

Are you on NGP, aka 'land of the one shots'? or do you have low vitality?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Are you on NGP, aka 'land of the one shots'? or do you have low vitality?
No I'm not in NG+, and my vitality is 15.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You have to respect that spell of his, it's super powerful. Also don't turn your back as he will backstab you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any good way to fight giant trolls with the dragon bone smasher? It works so well for everything else in 5-2, I'd like to be able to use it on them too.

(I've never made a strength build before so this is all new to me)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

somebody invaded my game while I was rescuing urbain and fighting the black phantom down there. I'm waiting by the hole to see if he comes down to get me. I wait and wait and nothing. i hear him getting his poo poo ready though. ugh so I go up and... he's just this dumb weiner. he casts poison on me and runs. RUNS. I got him through the back with a blueblood sword backstab at full speed.

I kind of enjoyed the company though because I go hours w/o getting picked up as a phantom or seeing a soul stone or getting invaded or anything. nobody wants/needs help or the game community is dying or something.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I've basically forgotten, if you have pure black and you have your body, do blue signs show up from others? I've been sitting in 3-1 forever (I could easily beat it), waiting for some soul forms to pop along, nothing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Megalixir posted:

I've basically forgotten, if you have pure black and you have your body, do blue signs show up from others? I've been sitting in 3-1 forever (I could easily beat it), waiting for some soul forms to pop along, nothing.

Yes, they do. The main issue with world three is that the Old Monk can grub up blue soul signs from any of the level three worlds to summon bitches in for the Old Monk fight. This means its a race between you trying to find the sign and whoever is next to start going up the stairs to fight Old Monk. Also, for this reason, people often hide their soul signs in world three in out of the way cells because they want to be summoned (to get that hat) rather than putting them in an easy to find spot.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Dicking around in 4-1 in my body and I get invaded, "cool" I think to myself.
Sneak up on the guy and get a backstab in, he rolls away and heals. gently caress.
We start going at it, he's almost dead and...
I roll off the cliff.
gently caress me.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I've been playing through the game just arrow/soul raying all the bosses and it just doesn't feel right. Is the most legitimate way to play the game melee only? Is there a point in raising vit/end/armor if you're supposed to dodge everything? Is 120 the most common SL? What's the deal with those corpse balls?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Fiannaiocht posted:

I've been playing through the game just arrow/soul raying all the bosses and it just doesn't feel right. Is the most legitimate way to play the game melee only? Is there a point in raising vit/end/armor if you're supposed to dodge everything? Is 120 the most common SL? What's the deal with those corpse balls?

Magic is super easymode, melee is much more rewarding and much more difficult.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fiannaiocht posted:

No point to heavy armor really, endurance is really important as it allows for dodging and longer combos and better shield use, vitality is important so you don't get one shotted as much.

120 is the most common soul level for pvp, yeah. Doesn't matter otherwise.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
So I was beating up on BP Rydell when I made a mistake, and we killed each other. It turns out that if that happens, I don't get the character tendency +1 and he doesn't respawn either. Normally I wouldn't care, but this is my Northern Regalia character. :(

Does defeating an invading black phantom give the same character tendency increase? If it does, guess I'm going to be hanging around in body form for a while.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Why don't you join some games as a blue phantom? That seems a lot easier than hanging around hoping to be invaded.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure you have to kill a black phantom to up character tendency. So joining a game as a blue phantom does nothing either unless someone invades the host.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

L-O-N posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to kill a black phantom to up character tendency. So joining a game as a blue phantom does nothing either unless someone invades the host.

What SL are you? I can make myself a body and try and invade you if we're close.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

For some reason I've always seen far more black phantoms invading when I'm in someone else's game as a blue phantom rather than in body form in my own world. I did worlds 3 and 3 entirely in body form and didn't get invaded once, whereas it's not unusual to get invaded 2 or 3 times in a single level when I'm blue phantoming. I don't know why this seems to happen! The only concern if you're trying to get character tendency is you'll have to get the killing blow on the black phantom to get the shift.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I'm level 24. If you or anyone else can invade me in 5-1 that would be great. I'm at the beginning of that level at the top of the first platform.

PSN for this character: NostalgicHeretic

Read
Dec 21, 2010

L-O-N posted:

I'm level 24. If you or anyone else can invade me in 5-1 that would be great. I'm at the beginning of that level at the top of the first platform.

PSN for this character: NostalgicHeretic

I'm 29, lemme come invade you.

e: I was playing 20~ minutes ago, but now it says my PS3 firmware needs updating. I'll be on in a bit if someone else doesn't get there first.

e: Messaged you, forgot I haven't gotten a black stone on this character yet. My bad.

Read fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 23, 2011

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks! Just msg me on psn if it doesn't work out.

edit: np, thanks for trying.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 23, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

can you invade people after the 2nd boss in the hallway before the archdemons?
I fell for it. I fell for a take a step forward message. dang itttttt

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 23, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was just checking everything again by going to all of the spell trainers and I noticed that I have THREE pureblood demons soul spell requirements, since I got the blueblood sword with my first pureblood soul. I thought Yellow Demon's soul was the only soul with four uses! So I'd have to finish this game twice more (haven't done 5-3 in this playthrough) and then at least finish 5-3 in the fourth game. I was thinking "only one more playthrough! it'll be easy due to the whole 'only 8% harder instead of 50%' thing!" but gently caress, two more? meh.

I do want the platinum (I've never wanted one before) but I think I need to grind magic a bit for light weapon (it's at 25) to improve my blueblood sword build, or enable 'easy mode' from magic so as not to go mad.

current stats:
Vitality 25
Int 25
Endurance: 35 (can do 2 of the r2 combos with bbs)
str: 28
dex: 35
magic: 25
Faith: 29
Luck: 18
Soul level: 139

weapons: blueblood sword, talisman of the beast, pfs, sticky compound long bow +5
armour: silver coronet, leather armour, sage's gloves, hard leather boots.

Any suggestions as to what to improve next, what gear to wear or use?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

Now that I've got the Monk's Head Collar, Kris knife +5, Insanity Catalyst and the ring of magical sharpness I'm having a great time oneshotting dudes as the Old Monk. I only have to hit someone once to do 700 or 800 damage with Soul Light, and sometimes I can even hit them with Firestorm before they've entered the fog door and kill them before the fight even begins. It may not be honourable but it's pretty fun, and it's a good way to get my character tendency down so Mephistopheles will show up.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

redreader posted:

I was just checking everything again by going to all of the spell trainers and I noticed that I have THREE pureblood demons soul spell requirements, since I got the blueblood sword with my first pureblood soul. I thought Yellow Demon's soul was the only soul with four uses! So I'd have to finish this game twice more (haven't done 5-3 in this playthrough) and then at least finish 5-3 in the fourth game. I was thinking "only one more playthrough! it'll be easy due to the whole 'only 8% harder instead of 50%' thing!" but gently caress, two more? meh.

I do want the platinum (I've never wanted one before) but I think I need to grind magic a bit for light weapon (it's at 25) to improve my blueblood sword build, or enable 'easy mode' from magic so as not to go mad.

current stats:
Vitality 25
Int 25
Endurance: 35 (can do 2 of the r2 combos with bbs)
str: 28
dex: 35
magic: 25
Faith: 29
Luck: 18
Soul level: 139

weapons: blueblood sword, talisman of the beast, pfs, sticky compound long bow +5
armour: silver coronet, leather armour, sage's gloves, hard leather boots.

Any suggestions as to what to improve next, what gear to wear or use?

Not to promote it, but if you're desperate to plat without actually playing it through so many times you can always dupe the soul. It will ruin your fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Thievery posted:

Not to promote it, but if you're desperate to plat without actually playing it through so many times you can always dupe the soul. It will ruin your fun though.

Agreed. I am ok with grinding, but not flat out duping. Sheep-goats offered to give me an insanity catalyst, but if I need to play it again anyway, I suppose I'll just get the catalyst on my next playthrough. I didn't get the maiden in black's soul on my first playthrough which was a mistake, soul suck is apparently great for grinding.

• Locked thread