Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

Tried moving your butt? Standing up? Different helmet? Other rider? Etc.

Yes, yes, no, no.

I'll try and borrow a helmet and let someone else have a go, too.

I've had the intermittent buzzing for a while. It seems to be sound-triggered, but only certain frequencies, like when rattling around silverware and so on. It's only the past month or so that it's started when I'm on the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll try and borrow a helmet and let someone else have a go, too.

On one of my bikes with one of my helmets (only a certain combo) I get a really annoying whistling noise from the helmet strap loop. If I fiddle around with it a certain way I can get it to stop.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FakeUsername posted:

CA, what's wrong with my bike? :(

I just bought an '07 Nina 250 with only 330 miles on it. The guy I bought it from rode it periodically to keep everything going, but mainly commuted on his other bike so this one sat for a while.

Whenever I twist the throttle and rev it, it revs up fine but does not immediately come back down (and sometimes will even gain some engine speed without touching the throttle). I took this video just the other night-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hSXnps2VLY

After the video was taken, I had it idling in neutral and it revved itself up to around 4000 without having a hand on the bars, so I just cut it off and parked it until I can work on it. My internet detective skills say it's a throttle return cable that needs to be lubed, but someone also mentioned I may need to clean the carbs. Anyone have any ideas?

Try fresh gas and seafoam first. Those bikes have tiny carbs with tiny passages that clog really easy and bad gas can really screw them up.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
I was riding down a country road going about 60 and a 4 way stop was coming up. I downshifted and let the clutch out and took both of my hands off the bars to adjust my backpack straps. My handlebars started to tank slap/shimmy back and forth, nothing to bad, but enough for me to grab the bars from shaking more. This only happens when decelerating when I'm not touching the bars. I've had both of my hands off the bars last year and have only noticed this recently.

The front tire is an Avon Roadrider AM26. I just had the forks apart and replaced the seals. I double checked to make sure the forks were both level on top of the triple tree. Is the steering/column bearing going out, is it loose? I'm confused.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Sir.Tucker posted:

I was riding down a country road going about 60 and a 4 way stop was coming up. I downshifted and let the clutch out and took both of my hands off the bars to adjust my backpack straps. My handlebars started to tank slap/shimmy back and forth, nothing to bad, but enough for me to grab the bars from shaking more. This only happens when decelerating when I'm not touching the bars. I've had both of my hands off the bars last year and have only noticed this recently.

The front tire is an Avon Roadrider AM26. I just had the forks apart and replaced the seals. I double checked to make sure the forks were both level on top of the triple tree. Is the steering/column bearing going out, is it loose? I'm confused.

I used to do this faaar too often on my FZR (like several times a day, I was a stupid kid) and I noticed that certain roads would for whatever reason cause just what you said. If it does it consistently, everywhere, I might worry.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Front tire could be flatspotted or cupped.

If you want to check the bearings, get the front of the ground and turn the bars. They need to move without any bunching or (much) resistance.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sir.Tucker posted:

This happened to me when I had my 250. I never did get it fixed but I highly suspect it's steering head bearings.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-Inu- posted:

This happened to me when I had my 250. I never did get it fixed but I highly suspect it's steering head bearings.

I had this happen on both of my bikes.
First - F4i - Went away after replacing the front tire, the old one was cupped.
Second - ZX6R - First happened around ~500mi, ended up being the steering head bearings. It also knocked audibly when getting on the front brakes. Second time was the front tire being cupped.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!

Synonamess Botch posted:

I used to do this faaar too often on my FZR (like several times a day, I was a stupid kid) and I noticed that certain roads would for whatever reason cause just what you said. If it does it consistently, everywhere, I might worry.

It's pretty consistent. The tire only has about 3000 miles on it and it still has the chicken strips.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Does anyone have any experience trading bikes between states, in this instance IN and KY? I'm about to give the DMV a call in both states a call of course, but...they're the DMV. We both have title in hand, and I think he'd be coming from IN to KY to do it.

Off to look for myself, but anyone's experience would be appreciated.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I bought some POS bike that hasn't been registered since '94. I have the previous owner's last known address through the DOL. The question is, would it be legal to ask him to request a replacement title, sign it off and mail it to me, or do I have to go through the release of interest process and wait 3 years?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

So I bought some POS bike that hasn't been registered since '94. I have the previous owner's last known address through the DOL. The question is, would it be legal to ask him to request a replacement title, sign it off and mail it to me, or do I have to go through the release of interest process and wait 3 years?

I'm trying to register a bike that's been non-op since 82 and the DMV basically told me to send him a certified letter asking for the title (I have a bill of sale from the PO who never registered it, because the Original Owner lost it) but since there's no title, I can bring the letter I get back from him, or if he doesn't respond, a copy of the letter, the certified undeliverable response thingy and the bill of sale, then fill out a statement of facts and get it titled under my name.

Lots of hoops.

scarface11d
Nov 12, 2010
My thread got gassed so I guesss Ill post it in here...
What kind of security / Alarm systems do you recommend for a Keen Badboy CX?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

scarface11d posted:

My thread got gassed so I guesss Ill post it in here...
What kind of security / Alarm systems do you recommend for a Keen Badboy CX?

Maybe a big arrow pointing to the manufacturer's name?

I'm not entirely sure why you'd be concerned about it getting stolen. From what I can see it's a cheap, sub $800 Chinese scooter knockoff, so any security or alarm system worth a poo poo would probably roughly double your investment in it. If you're really paranoid, a chain through the frame (not the wheels) might stop some theives, or a disc lock on the front, but I'd just settle for insurance and parking it in as safe a place as possible.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A little harsh but I think what he's saying is, there isn't really a market in parts for your bike, so thieves don't have a reason to steal it.

Anyway CA, looks pretty definite that I'm trading a FZ6 for a 09 ninjette for my sisters. Rode it today and it was fun. Slow as hell and a short seat for me, but I was hitting the turns about as quick as on my bike and it was a test ride. It was interesting being able to rev out 3 gears and still be legal.

The only problem is, they're going to drop it. So, what can I do to try to protect the plastics? Is it even worth it, or should I just invest in zip ties?

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Crash knobs, assuming you can find them for the new Ninjas? Ones that mount directly to the frame would be best, but I guess it'd depends on what's available.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Found the answer myself really, waste of a post http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Frame_sliders . The ones on new enough are loving 215 bucks tho... http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/parts/frame_sliders__crash_kits/shogun_motorsports/kawasaki_motorcycle_crash_kit.html the way the plastics are no cuts are a bitch I guess. What's a set of non painted plastics run, poo poo I'll just put those on till they get the hang of it. I'm starting to miss my half naked and I haven't even gotten rid of it yet.

Oh, and that "no cut" isn't even a no cut. The bracket no cuts just seem like they'd be junk...I dunno I guess I'll have to try to see some.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 23, 2011

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Honda Hornet 900 (Honda 919 in the states I think) vs Monster m1000s as a daily ride, commuter, tourer and weekend carver.

Would the dry clutch thing suck for heavy traffic commuting?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Stupid question about pipes..

Are they something that are fairly interchangeable?

My current pipes are loving loud. Since I'm going to be going from Latvia to the UK soon, locating replacements might be more difficult, and I'm not sure I'll have time to source them here before i go.

Can I just use some other similar pipes (or custom made/bent pipes) with the proper mating hardware (what's that called?) I see squirrelly exhaust shapes all the time - I am assuming that you can sort of make them whatever shape they need to be?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Backov posted:

Stupid question about pipes..

Are they something that are fairly interchangeable?
Not really. You can technically use anything that you can make fit, but the problem is that it isn't going to be properly designed and shaped. This means you aren't going to have proper backpressure which will result in worse performance/fuel economy.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Make sure the one you end up with has an e-rating. Without one, German constables will confiscate the exhaust, give you a big fine and will leave you without an exhaust .

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

NoDoorway posted:

Honda Hornet 900 (Honda 919 in the states I think) vs Monster m1000s as a daily ride, commuter, tourer and weekend carver.

For practicality, the Hornet. If you can be comfortable enough on the Duc to put in the long days for touring, go for that and everything else be damned.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

nsaP posted:

Anyway CA, looks pretty definite that I'm trading a FZ6 for a 09 ninjette for my sisters.

GOD DAMMIT!

This is what I want to do but no one around here seems to like that idea. I just want my little ninjette to go to a good home. :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NoDoorway posted:

Probably.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Probably.

No, aside from the sound, a dry clutch isn't really something you notice very much.

To some small extent you are wearing the clutch out faster in stop and go with a dry clutch, but how often do you really have change out a clutch on a modern motorcycle? Plus with the dry clutch its super easy!

As was said above, if you like the styling and find it comfortable, then it's the way more awesome choice.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 23, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

No, aside from the sound, a dry clutch isn't really something you notice very much.

To some small extent you are wearing the clutch out faster in stop and go with a dry clutch, but how often do you really have to do that on a modern motorcycle? Plus with the dry clutch its super easy!

As was said above, if you like the styling and find it comfortable, then it's the way more awesome choice.

Especially if you run an open clutch cover like a raging douchebag because you always felt like windchimes needed some kick to them.

Also after it wears it'll make funny noises that will cause you to panic.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 23, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Z3n posted:

Especially if you run an open clutch cover like a raging douchebag because you always felt like windchimes needed some kick to them.

I remember reading somewhere that the whole open clutch thing was (originally) for cooling it off, is that just BS?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the whole open clutch thing was (originally) for cooling it off, is that just BS?

In the yonder years of racing clutches used to not be so reliable and you'd have to swap them out more often when racing, if you ran a dry clutch you could do it much quicker.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Ah so that's what those bros are doing when they pull off the road onto the boardwalk.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Spiffness posted:

In the yonder years of racing clutches used to not be so reliable and you'd have to swap them out more often when racing, if you ran a dry clutch you could do it much quicker.

In the more recent years, you run a dry clutch with an open cover to signify to others, much like a mating call, that you are a ducati doucher. Works pretty efficiently I'd say.

I get kind of freaked out when I hear weird noises coming from my bike - I think the racket from a ducati clutch would drive me to an insane asylum.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

In the more recent years, you run a dry clutch with an open cover to signify to others, much like a mating call, that you are a ducati doucher. Works pretty efficiently I'd say.

I get kind of freaked out when I hear weird noises coming from my bike - I think the racket from a ducati clutch would drive me to an insane asylum.

I think that dry clutches are brilliant when hidden behind an enclosed cover. It's like having Tinkerbell in your engine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

I think that dry clutches are brilliant when hidden behind an enclosed cover. It's like having Tinkerbell in your engine.

My motorcycle mangles fairies! What about yours?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phy posted:

My motorcycle mangles fairies! What about yours?

If this is a way of saying 'my motorcycle gets me tons of chicks', then yes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Downside of dry clutch with an open basket is that because it makes so much drat noise you can't hear other sounds which might indicate something breaking. Room mate had a bearing destroy itself, no clue how the hell he heard it over the racket of the clutch.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

This may be a repost but I feel like it is appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhYnAeKiTq4

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Cheers guys. Yeah if I go with the Duc I'll be keeping the clutch cover standard.

Currently tossing up between this bad mofo:

And this fella:

Both are pretty awesome, the Honda is about $1000 more than the Duc, but is a bit better set up (and 5 years newer).

Test riding today.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So I take it your primary preference is a specific type of luggage rack?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose
I just got progressive springs for my GS500F, I saw a few guides online that change the spring without taking the forks off. If I do it this way, do I have to change my fork oil also? Or can I just swap the springs?

The oil is pretty new, the bike only has 1500 miles on it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Havent ridden my bike (07 250 ninja) since Monday (which shouldn't be an issue, im just mentioning it).

Took off for the gym today. Didn't make it down my block before the engine just died. started it back up with lots of choke in an attempt to get back home. Things seemed fine until once again the engine just died, this time mid-turn, causing me to low side (if you can even call it that at such a low speed). Walked the bike home and started it a few times in my driveway. Weird, weird idle issues.

What should I look at? Im going to wait a day or two... Ive found that sometimes my bike issues work themselves out if I just let the bike sit for a few days.

Sigh. I thought Ninjas were supposed to be easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Mister Duck posted:

I just got progressive springs for my GS500F, I saw a few guides online that change the spring without taking the forks off. If I do it this way, do I have to change my fork oil also? Or can I just swap the springs?

The oil is pretty new, the bike only has 1500 miles on it.

Forks have something called an 'air chamber' in them. It is critical to have this chamber the exact size that the manual calls for. The more oil in the fork, the smaller the chamber. Check the chamber when you've installed the new springs and add/remove oil so the air chamber is at the correct size. The manual probably specifies this in millimeters measured from the top.

No, you don't need to remove the forks but it is easy and makes replacing stuff easier.