Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Dear Middle East in Cambridge,
When you don't put up a barricade and have the Bouncing Souls play, people are going to stage dive and crowd surf. Having security grab these people down from the air and drag them out and kick them out is bullshit. You didn't even have signs posted saying crowd surfing would result in a boot. gently caress you.

How was their show? I'm seeing the Souls in Philly in July when they do their crazy play all their albums in four nights thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It was good. Short, but good. Their first 2 albums only total 54 minutes in itunes. Can't wait to go back tomorrow and friday.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Dear Middle East in Cambridge,
When you don't put up a barricade and have the Bouncing Souls play, people are going to stage dive and crowd surf. Having security grab these people down from the air and drag them out and kick them out is bullshit. You didn't even have signs posted saying crowd surfing would result in a boot. gently caress you.

Yeah what's going on with this lately? I hadn't been to a show for a while but I was at the Paradise and MidEast Upstairs recently and they both seem a lot more hands-on. There's all sorts of bouncers and announcements about fire exits and signs about no moshing or crowd surfing. Did something happen or did the city just crack down randomly?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I know the Paradise has had no moshing, etc signs for a while, but that's never stopped anyone. There was tons of stage diving at the 1st Street Dogs Wreck The Halls show last year. They had bouncers on/near the stage trying to grab people before they could jump. To try and minimize it for the 2nd show they put up a barricade. I don't think they kicked anyone out though.

Last time I was at the mideast upstairs the only employees I saw were the ones selling the booze. Either the city is cracking down on them for some reason, or they had a kid get really hurt. That's the only reasons I can think of.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Putting a shitload of bouncers in the Mid East upstairs will completely ruin that venue.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been to the upstairs in a while. I went to the downstairs to see Converge, Dropdead, Trap Them, and All Pigs Must Die a month ago, it was pretty intense. It was all ages, which is kinda rare for the mideast, and I thought I had heard that Converge was banned from there (at the very least, I think it was their first time there since No Heroes came out in 2005). I got searched pretty thoroughly, had my bike tool taken away from me, and got X'd up for my expired ID.

And speaking of the middle east upstairs, Bomb the Music Industry! on tuesday? Hell yes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I haven't been to the upstairs in a while.

I saw TAAS there twice (along with others) and they were 2 of the best shows I've ever been to. I just love tiny venues though.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot

FateoMcSkippy posted:

It was good. Short, but good. Their first 2 albums only total 54 minutes in itunes. Can't wait to go back tomorrow and friday.

Good to hear. I get worried whenever a band is pushing 20 years of existence. I can't afford to see them all four nights so I settled for the night they're playing Summer Vacation and Anchors Aweigh. I am really tempted to go to the last night show too though because Blanks 77 is supporting that night only. Maybe I'll be able to work that out.

Inspector_71 posted:

I just love tiny venues though.

On a related note the first time I saw the Souls was at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster, PA, which is just a tiny venue. I don't remember there being a barricade either. I love small venues but that was the only time I thought I was actually going to die at a show.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hobbit posted:

Good to hear. I get worried whenever a band is pushing 20 years of existence.

They all still seem to be having a lot of fun too. Bryan hosed up a bass line in a song, and they all stopped and cheered him on as he tried to get it, then he got it and they were all yay! and continued the song.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
This pleases me greatly. Suddenly I'm getting old and all the bands I like are even older than I am. Shows and new releases are becoming a real crap shoot. It crushed my heart when I saw Dropkick Murphys about 3 or 4 years back and they had no energy one stage left. Not to mention I haven't been thrilled by any of their albums since before Warrior's Code. Flogging Molly is turning into a disappointment now, too. :(
They still put on a great live show, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

I saw TAAS there twice (along with others) and they were 2 of the best shows I've ever been to. I just love tiny venues though.

That's ill, I never got to see them. I did, however, go to the Middle East Upstairs to see Planes Mistaken For Stars' last Boston show, which was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well the Middle East can go gently caress itself. Kicked me out 1 song into the Souls for "moshing". I guess it's cause I knocked a kid over? I helped him right back up though. So loving bullshit.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010
http://youtu.be/syg6XGbdUkM

did the hosed Up video get posted? It deserves to be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I haven't been to the upstairs in a while. I went to the downstairs to see Converge, Dropdead, Trap Them, and All Pigs Must Die a month ago, it was pretty intense. It was all ages, which is kinda rare for the mideast, and I thought I had heard that Converge was banned from there (at the very least, I think it was their first time there since No Heroes came out in 2005). I got searched pretty thoroughly, had my bike tool taken away from me, and got X'd up for my expired ID.

And speaking of the middle east upstairs, Bomb the Music Industry! on tuesday? Hell yes.

Seeing BtMI in Buffalo Sunday, could not be more excited.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?

iron chic posted:

It's not as good as this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONB2SwCeLvY

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That's ill, I never got to see them. I did, however, go to the Middle East Upstairs to see Planes Mistaken For Stars' last Boston show, which was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

I never got to see Planes either, so I guess we're even.

It was actually, funny, the first time I saw TAAS there were like, 10 people there, and the second time it was packed.

iron chic posted:

Oh God this is awesome.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 24, 2011

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

Putting a shitload of bouncers in the Mid East upstairs will completely ruin that venue.

I was there for The Flatliners a couple weeks ago. Nuno from A Wilhelm Scream was just hanging out in the crowd, and when they started playing "Shithawks" he ran up on stage to sing his part of the song. When he was finished he put the mic back and stepped offstage. The bouncers grabbed him and were just about to throw him out, but I guess someone intervened and explained the situation so he got to stay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Off topic, but man, are all of The Hope Conspiracy's albums as awesome as Death Knows Your Name? Somehow I've managed to go years without ever actually listening to them despite being a hardcore fan that grew up in and around Boston. I finally gave 'em a listen after really getting into the All Pigs Must Die EP and... goddamn.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Pardon my ignorance to the thread, but would this be the place to discuss Terror, Trapped Under Ice, Stick To Your Guns etc? I know it says hardcore in the title, but skimming through, I just see punk music.

Saddr Weirdr
Feb 20, 2011

Are you ready for the
SUMMER?
Here's my favorite thing related to Terror: http://www.vogelisms.com/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Pardon my ignorance to the thread, but would this be the place to discuss Terror, Trapped Under Ice, Stick To Your Guns etc? I know it says hardcore in the title, but skimming through, I just see punk music.

Trapped Under Ice are an okay band I guess.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Sorry guys, I'll go find the mainstream thread. :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ace Jameson posted:

I was there for The Flatliners a couple weeks ago. Nuno from A Wilhelm Scream was just hanging out in the crowd, and when they started playing "Shithawks" he ran up on stage to sing his part of the song. When he was finished he put the mic back and stepped offstage. The bouncers grabbed him and were just about to throw him out, but I guess someone intervened and explained the situation so he got to stay.

Something must have happened to make them crack down so hard recently. I wonder what it was.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Hello, my band just released our first EP, what do you guys think?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
So I've been listening to both RVIVR and Iron Chic and both are amazing. Any other bands in this vein that people would recommend? Or should I just listen to Latterman/the other ex-Latterman bands?

e: I think this question was asked awhile back in the thread, so sorry if I'm retreading it. I think I remember the recommendation being Banner Pilot.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 26, 2011

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

So I've been listening to both RVIVR and Iron Chic and both are amazing. Any other bands in this vein that people would recommend? Or should I just listen to Latterman/the other ex-Latterman bands?

e: I think this question was asked awhile back in the thread, so sorry if I'm retreading it. I think I remember the recommendation being Banner Pilot.

Yep Banner Pilot, Dear Landlord, Spraynard (woo), the Menzingers.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

LCQC posted:

Yep Banner Pilot, Dear Landlord, Spraynard (woo), the Menzingers.

Love The Menzingers (their show was the best show I've ever been to). The rest I've ever listened to a little or not at all, will check all of them out. Any album/splits/comp/whatever suggestions?

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Love The Menzingers (their show was the best show I've ever been to). The rest I've ever listened to a little or not at all, will check all of them out. Any album/splits/comp/whatever suggestions?

The newish Spraynard is like my favourite thing so far this year, and its free from here: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/spraynard/funtitled/

Banner Pilot's records are both good, but I'd grab Collapser first. Dream Homes is all I know from Dear Landlord but its great. Also check out Lemuria (obv) or the Dopamines.

e: oh yeah who else is digging the new Algernon Cadwallader?

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

mrpwase posted:

Hello, my band just released our first EP, what do you guys think?

This is awesome. How many English Dogs records do you own?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

LCQC posted:

The newish Spraynard is like my favourite thing so far this year, and its free from here: http://www.ifyoumakeit.com/album/spraynard/funtitled/

Banner Pilot's records are both good, but I'd grab Collapser first. Dream Homes is all I know from Dear Landlord but its great. Also check out Lemuria (obv) or the Dopamines.

e: oh yeah who else is digging the new Algernon Cadwallader?

I just saw Lemuria open for Against Me!, actually. And I like what I've heard from The Dopamines. I also love that Mikey Erg is in every band.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Had a pretty awesome weekend. Algernon/Snowing was on Friday, both were ridiculous. 1994 wasn't really my thing, and I believe there's a brother of Tigers Jaw in Halfling. They were really nervous but have some potential. My friend's band also played (Trainwrecker for those who care) and did a decent enough job for having a fill-in drummer and a bass pedal that broke. Only about fifty people there though, should have been more.

Title Fight release show was insane. I wasn't too big on Dead End Path or War Hungry, but Cold World did a nice set. Touche Amore and The Menzingers played ridiculous sets, and Title Fight was just nuts. Got a Shed release vinyl, disappointed it isn't colored, but the cover for it/personalization is pretty cool.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
Agh so jealous of you American dudes, New Zealand is a bit of a backwater. I did get to see Bouncing Souls/Hot Water Music together last year though. Also does anyone like Cruel Hand? Seeing them next week and I've never heard of them (mostly going for good dudes Ricky Bobby).

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Had a pretty awesome weekend. Algernon/Snowing was on Friday, both were ridiculous. 1994 wasn't really my thing, and I believe there's a brother of Tigers Jaw in Halfling. They were really nervous but have some potential. My friend's band also played (Trainwrecker for those who care) and did a decent enough job for having a fill-in drummer and a bass pedal that broke. Only about fifty people there though, should have been more.

Title Fight release show was insane. I wasn't too big on Dead End Path or War Hungry, but Cold World did a nice set. Touche Amore and The Menzingers played ridiculous sets, and Title Fight was just nuts. Got a Shed release vinyl, disappointed it isn't colored, but the cover for it/personalization is pretty cool.

Yeah I was really meh on Dead End Path when that tour came through my city. The Menzingers were amazing, but my friend (who had driven) was unwilling to stay for Title Fight and Touche. I really wanted to see Touche.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
So I posted about my band a page or two back and some of you were real into it - our EP is now streaming.

http://deadringer.bandcamp.com/album/enjoy-the-ride

Feedback would be rad! If you're unfamiliar, we're a pop punk band in the vein of late 90's/early 00's Epitaph/Fat stuff.

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2011

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

EvilRobot posted:

This is awesome. How many English Dogs records do you own?

None, never heard of them, but I looked them up and I sort of see the resemblance I suppose? They sound good though, thanks for telling me, and thanks for listening. :)

hedgecore posted:

So I posted about my band a page or two back and some of you were real into it - our EP is now streaming.

Feedback would be rad! If you're unfamiliar, we're a female-fronted pop punk band in the vein of late 90's/early 00's Epitaph/Fat stuff.

Not really my cup of tea usually, but I liked this, so kudos!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

LCQC posted:

Agh so jealous of you American dudes, New Zealand is a bit of a backwater. I did get to see Bouncing Souls/Hot Water Music together last year though. Also does anyone like Cruel Hand? Seeing them next week and I've never heard of them (mostly going for good dudes Ricky Bobby).

I went to the HWM and Bouncing Souls show in Adelaide. I went to another pub to get a few cheap beers in me early in the show because the opening band didn't interest me, and I was just there for HWM and didn't even know who the bouncing souls were. I come back, walk in figuring that the band playing is the bouncing souls and that they sound a lot like HWM, hmmm they look like HWM too then I heard the chorus for rooftops and I felt like a bloody wally. Then I left without watching The Bouncing Souls and I have regretted it ever since.

hedgecore posted:

Feedback would be rad! If you're unfamiliar, we're a female-fronted pop punk band in the vein of late 90's/early 00's Epitaph/Fat stuff.

While this stuff isn't my cup of tea I showed it to my housemate last time you posted some links and he said he enjoyed it. I had a listen through it, one criticism would be that the back up singing on some of the tracks, and especially on Home just seemed tacked on for the sake of it, especially the 'I just I want you to know' parts in Home. I enjoyed the Veronica Vaughn song, the drum beat had me at the start.

Also, why do you keep bringing up that the band is female fronted? It seems odd to me.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2011

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

While this stuff isn't my cup of tea I showed it to my housemate last time you posted some links and he said he enjoyed it. I had a listen through it, one criticism would be that the back up singing on some of the tracks, and especially on Home just seemed tacked on for the sake of it, especially the 'I just I want you to know' parts in Home. I enjoyed the Veronica Vaughn song, the drum beat had me at the start.

Also, why do you keep bringing up that the band is female fronted? It seems odd to me.

Thanks! Yeah, confession time... I'm not on the recording. They finished those tracks before I joined the band. I actually don't enjoy singing too many of his parts live.

In my experience, discussion spirals toward opinions on girl singers when I don't mention that up front - while that's its own debate, and still boils down to personal preference, I just normally find it easier to note in the description.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

LtTennisBall posted:

I just saw Lemuria open for Against Me!, actually. And I like what I've heard from The Dopamines. I also love that Mikey Erg is in every band.

Check out Mixtapes.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

dokomoy posted:

Newb post:

I don't know anything really about punk but over the last couple of months I've heard a couple albums that I've liked and was hoping for some recommendations for similar artists as well as maybe some good/"important" albums representing different times and styles of punk.

My exposure to punk consists almost entirely of Bad Religion(I really liked Suffer, No Control and Against the Grain, but everything I've heard after that has ranged from pretty good to meh) Rise Against(I liked there first two albums a bunch, but I wasn't thrilled with anything after Siren Songs of the Counter Culture) and I've listened to bits and pieces of other bands(Anti Flag, Pennywise, The Descendants) and mostly liked what I've heard.

Thanks

Some entry level requirements:

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves
Descendents - Milo Goes to College

It's like I'm 16 again!