Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Kate Mulgrew was a last-second replacement for the Genevieve Nujold, the original Janeway, who was fired after her second day of filming. Check out this footage to see why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0
I thought functional alcoholics were supposed to be, y'know, functional...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Shaggar posted:

i mean what the hell, i thought tom paris got kicked out of the academy? how did he get on voyager?

you know darn well that was a different character <:mad:>

tho i think the original idea was to bring back his tng character but they would have to pay the writer of that episode royalties? idk anyway they didn't

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

FMguru posted:

Kate Mulgrew was a last-second replacement for the Genevieve Nujold, the original Janeway, who was fired after her second day of filming. Check out this footage to see why.

remember how kate mulgrew was their refined choice

like they started filming, got a handle on it, and thought "okay this genevieve chick isn't working out. based on our experiences and filming so far, kate loving mulgrew is our best choice."

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

this is the proest patrick stewart click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg#t=9

soembody splice this in with an episode of tng where a character mentions picard being on the holodeck, tia

guaranteed at least 100k views

pram
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

ahahaha

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
you know who would have been a better choice for captain on that show

loving anyone that had any connection to any previous star trek series ever

pick loving marina sirtis, or god drat just shove Ro Lauren in there. i would have taken commander loving shelby over janeway. at least then there would be A) some continuity, and B) better acting

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Kirk posted:

you know who would have been a better choice for captain on that show

loving anyone that had any connection to any previous star trek series ever

pick loving marina sirtis, or god drat just shove Ro Lauren in there. i would have taken commander loving shelby over janeway. at least then there would be A) some continuity, and B) better acting

George. loving. Takei.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they put ro laren in BSG as essentially what janeway was supposed to be and she was real good (despite bsg being mostly pretty bad)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
no the one thing they were right about is that it was time to change up the gender of the captain

but jesus christ the woman they went with

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they should make a troll star trek series where Captain Barclay and Alexander from TNG chase Wesly Crusher and the Traveler around the galaxy

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Shaggar posted:

(despite bsg being mostly pretty bad)

mmmmmmmmmnope

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i thought that the last ep of enterprise was a troll star trek

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

was there ever a barclay episode that wasn't loving terrible? i can't think of one.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Kirk posted:

no the one thing they were right about is that it was time to change up the gender of the captain

but jesus christ the woman they went with

So put sulu in a loving dress, I don't loving care.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

qirex posted:

they should make a troll star trek series where Captain Barclay and Alexander from TNG chase Wesly Crusher and the Traveler around the galaxy

except barclay owns bones

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

relative_q posted:

was there ever a barclay episode that wasn't loving terrible? i can't think of one.

uh all of them

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
seriously some of the more watchable voyager episodes are all about barclay and how he's basically a wikipedia editor

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Kirk posted:

uh all of them

idk man usually you're pretty spot on with your trek assessments but i gotta disagree with you here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I never watched Voyager but Barclay TNG episodes were all pretty terrible

edit: also the troll series would need extensive Guinan appearances

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

johndis posted:

mmmmmmmmmnope

i tried to rewatch it and found i really didnt care for most of the characters. I think the plot managed to force everything forward. then season 3 was the worst thing since voyager and it was pretty much over.

the thing i got most out of BSG was that the first cylon war seemed way more interesting than the current timeline.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
remember how they added Jeri Ryan in a skintight silver catsuit to the show in a desperate effort to bring a little Baywatch cleavage action to their flagging ratings? and how the babe cast solely for the purpose of being eye candy was not only a better actor than the rest of the cast, her barely-human robot character was more interesting and better rounded than any of the other characters on the show?

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Shaggar posted:

i tried to rewatch it and found i really didnt care for most of the characters. I think the plot managed to force everything forward. then season 3 was the worst thing since voyager and it was pretty much over.

the thing i got most out of BSG was that the first cylon war seemed way more interesting than the current timeline.

ehh idk i thought it was pretty well acted/written throughout, tho its definitely gets a bit lost-ish towards the end and you cant ell theyre tryin hella hard to wrap it all up n poo poo

oh and theres also a couple terrible actors in it too (lady who lpays sharon im lookin at u)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
barclay owns because he's basically a nerd transplanted from the 20th century and shoved into the 24th

he's you, the viewer

he's the one that's like "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON HERE, WHY IS EVERYTHIGN SHAKING ALL THE TIME WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON UP THERE WITH THE BRIDGE CREW" and he's the guy that gets addicted to getting holodeck squeezers from his hot nurse and he's the guy that's like gently caress yeah i fantasize about beating the poo poo out of my boss in this limitless fantasy world and he's the guy that can't talk to girls because he's on space IRC all day

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
how can you not love watching a guy that's basically the internet

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
kirk did u play sto?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and then they did caprica, which was just so loving bad. it was hilarious because theres all these lovely posters in tv/iv at the time going on and on about how it was soooo deep and the themes were soooo subtle and that it didnt deserve to be cancelled.

they did manage a few good characters and some good actors but the story was just loving awful awful awful.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

FMguru posted:

remember how they added Jeri Ryan in a skintight silver catsuit to the show in a desperate effort to bring a little Baywatch cleavage action to their flagging ratings? and how the babe cast solely for the purpose of being eye candy was not only a better actor than the rest of the cast, her barely-human robot character was more interesting and better rounded than any of the other characters on the show?

Only in like the three episodes anyone remembers. In all the rest it was always "awkward sexual tension with [Harry Kim/Tom Paris/Chakotay/The Doctor]"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i'll always love Voyager for allowing DS9 to become great. DS9 was solidly mediocre until Voyager started up, whereupon all of the studio's attention became focused on the flagship of their new broadcast network (lol UPN), leaving the ds9 writers more or less ignored and unsupervised - and the show went from ok to great.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

FMguru posted:

i'll always love Voyager for allowing DS9 to become great. DS9 was solidly mediocre until Voyager started up, whereupon all of the studio's attention became focused on the flagship of their new broadcast network (lol UPN), leaving the ds9 writers more or less ignored and unsupervised - and the show went from ok to great.

also

y'know

Roddenberry died and stopped demanding stupid poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

how can you not love watching a guy that's basically the internet

barclay is basically me which owned.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Kirk posted:

space IRC

*sets phasers to slap you with an astro trout*

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

qirex posted:

i would watch this forever but drink heavily during alexander appearances

barclay was the best thing about TNG

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i would do all the things barclay did

- get addicted to holodeck sex: yes
- get addicted to savagely beating cmdr riker on the holodeck: yes
- have trouble talking to psychic girls who have been on more exciting adventures than i have had haircuts: yes

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

HYMEN.SYS posted:

They were at least watchable, unlike all but five episodes of Voyager.

there were five? which ones were they?

The only one I was aware of was the one with Andy Dick as EMH mk. II

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

FEMA summer camp posted:

there were five? which ones were they?

The only one I was aware of was the one with Andy Dick as EMH mk. II

Andy Dick is the worst thing about the 90s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kirk posted:

also

y'know

Roddenberry died and stopped demanding stupid poo poo
that happened at the end of TNG season 2 (he had an incapacitating stroke and Braga et al seized control of the franchise), which is also (not coincidentally) the moment TNG stopped being these airless little morality plays and started being a sci-fi action show.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
andy dick was good in news radio (the best sitcom of all time)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Only in like the three episodes anyone remembers. In all the rest it was always "awkward sexual tension with [Harry Kim/Tom Paris/Chakotay/The Doctor]"
that's still three more episodes of solid character development than Chakotay and Harry Kim got combined.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

andy dick was good in news radio (the best sitcom of all time)

remember the one where french stewart shows up and tries to hijack the 'office weird guy' position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Shaggar posted:

and then they did caprica, which was just so loving bad. it was hilarious because theres all these lovely posters in tv/iv at the time going on and on about how it was soooo deep and the themes were soooo subtle and that it didnt deserve to be cancelled.

they did manage a few good characters and some good actors but the story was just loving awful awful awful.

i liked BSG a lot, but caprica really loving sucked.

• Locked thread