Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not certain where else I should be asking this, but I am curious; is it possible to get DSL in an apartment complex? I suppose a better question would be what is DSL? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just not very clear on how the different varieties of online services differ. DSL seems like a far better deal for the price but I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into something over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

YggiDee posted:

I'm not certain where else I should be asking this, but I am curious; is it possible to get DSL in an apartment complex? I suppose a better question would be what is DSL? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just not very clear on how the different varieties of online services differ. DSL seems like a far better deal for the price but I just want to make sure I'm not getting myself into something over my head.

Pretty sure all you need is a regular old phone line if your neighbourhood is set up for DSL service.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not certain if it is set up for DSL service, when I asked the apartment manager about it she seemed uncertain as to what it was.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I'm not certain if it is set up for DSL service, when I asked the apartment manager about it she seemed uncertain as to what it was.

You can probably get DSL in your apartment complex. Depending on the quality of the wiring (and possibly how high up you are), you're speeds may not be that great though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
We're on the ground floor so I don't think speed will be too much of an issue; but I'll take Teksavvy's 300 gigs for 30$ DSL over Rogers' 125 gigs for 70$ cable any day. I just need to be sure I can.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had DSL when I lived in an apartment, it shouldn't be a problem unless you live somewhere horribly remote.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

Sure enough, didn't get back to reverting my firmware last night and now my wife reports the wireless is not working this morning. Weee

Definitely something with the builds then. Sucks :(

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

Tagra posted:

I was dicking around with the Telus site to see my bundle options for upgrading, and apparently even though Optik TV is available for my address, Optik internet is not?

... aren't they kind of the same thing?

Optik TV + regular Internet is basically TV with internet up to 15Mbps.

Optik TV + Optik Internet is TV with internet up to 25Mbps.

Tagra posted:

DSL is simply internet over your phone line. Voice calls only take up a small portion of your phone line, DSL is using the rest (not to be confused with Dial-up which is internet but using that same small portion as Voice calls). The biggest limiting factor for DSL is the quality of the line, which for Telus means DSL speeds can range from 3Mbps to 25Mbps.

If you can make a phone call, you can probably get DSL. Just call your local telephone company/ISP and see if they can qualify you. Every company (including cable internet providers, I assume) has tools they can use to qualify people for service. Being in an apartment shouldn't be a problem.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Sprawl posted:

They are the same thing but they are bundled services and you can't buy one without the other.

That is what is perplexing to me. I punched in my phone number and it said congrats your area is eligible for blah blah blah and Optik TV. So I went to the bundle builder thing and started punching in bundle options, but when I got to the internet section, all the Optik speed options were greyed out and it would only let me pick high speed or high speed turbo. ...but I had already selected Optik TV in the TV section...

I'd have to call them to make the deal anyway, I was just messing with the bundle thing to see how badly extra channels would bump the monthly price.

When I go to the internet-only section and punch in my number it doesn't come up with Optik as an option in my area, either. Stupid useless website.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Stanley Pain posted:

Definitely something with the builds then. Sucks :(

I'm using dd-wrt build 17201 on my WNDR3700v2, and it's running like a champ. No issues in the past week.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

8ender posted:

Can you tell us more about the when and what on the new VOIP service? I'm dying to drop the $40 / month I spend on a Bell home phone line and I'm holding off on voip.ms to see what you guys offer.

Of course my cable modem is resetting every 30 minutes so I guess I have to hope Teksavvy fixes that first.

Hope you got your modem fixed.

This is a draft of what's going out in the first TekSavvy newsletter (that I'm happily designing) to employees about our VoIP:

quote:

TekSavvy’s VoIP service is tentatively being called TekTalk, to be introduced in July. It will be different from our home phone product offered and will be sold with it side by side. VoIP phone provides several advantages to standard phone service. It’s cheaper for long distance and overall much more inexpensive with all calling features integrated and viewable via online. VoIP is often used for second lines and business lines for home offices.

On an employee’s web browser, they can access a Com Portal that gives them access to their phone service including listening to voice mail over the computer, calling history and more features.

The service connects to your modem through a small box called an Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) and is available to anyone who can receive TekSavvy internet service. One thing that negatively compares this to standard phone services is that if there is a power or internet outage in your home, you do lose your VoIP service.

TekSavvy has invested heavily into VoIP. Unlike our wholesale services, we purchased a phone switch to operate much like a carrier. If a customer has issue with their VoIP service, TekSavvy technicians can settle is immediately instead of any need to go to someone else, as long as the issue is with the VoIP and not the internet connection itself.

I don't know pricing, but you know us.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So this sounds like what I have with Vonage and I only pay them $20 a month for that. I would assume the advantage of me switching would be that I could use you guys for support if I needed, which I like and I'd prefer to give my $$$ to you guys anyway.

If I canceled Vonage would I still be able to keep my number?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

YggiDee posted:

We're on the ground floor so I don't think speed will be too much of an issue; but I'll take Teksavvy's 300 gigs for 30$ DSL over Rogers' 125 gigs for 70$ cable any day. I just need to be sure I can.
Just phone TekSavvy and see. In 95% of cases, the list they get from Bell is accurate as to whether the phone line into your apartment can carry DSL. If you're really unsure, order it and then cancel your cable after it's successfully installed. If the contractor comes to your place and finds out that contrary to the list you can't accept DSL, TekSavvy will refund you.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bonzo posted:

If I canceled Vonage would I still be able to keep my number?

Not sure, but I'd lean towards yes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Lone Rogue posted:

Hope you got your modem fixed.

This is a draft of what's going out in the first TekSavvy newsletter (that I'm happily designing) to employees about our VoIP:

This sounds good. If the pricing is decent then I'm on board.

My modem problem is still ongoing. Its turning into a big debacle with a lot of other people having the same problems.

One question about the VOIP: Can users bring their own ATA boxes? There was talk of Teksavvy requiring some ATA-Cable Modem hybrid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
What kind of upload speed should I be expecting from Teksavvy cable internet? Right now I have 26 down and 0.9 up.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Blah, another month, another exceeded Novus download cap. Make your higher end plans worthwhile and competitive Novus, please :negative:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I live in Toronto right now, down in Etobicoke, and I'm really looking at getting a better ISP because gently caress having limited bandwidth caps. I'm with Rogers now and I have the Rogers Extreme 80Gigs a month, 15down/1up.

Right now I'm browsing Acanac and they've got the exact same plan(download/upload speed) for 20 bucks cheaper and unlimited bandwidth cap. I'm skeptical, because seriously? How can this even be an available option when Rogers is charging me 20 dollars more for 80gigs/month? Someone explain this poo poo to me :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brace posted:

I live in Toronto right now, down in Etobicoke, and I'm really looking at getting a better ISP because gently caress having limited bandwidth caps. I'm with Rogers now and I have the Rogers Extreme 80Gigs a month, 15down/1up.

Right now I'm browsing Acanac and they've got the exact same plan(download/upload speed) for 20 bucks cheaper and unlimited bandwidth cap. I'm skeptical, because seriously? How can this even be an available option when Rogers is charging me 20 dollars more for 80gigs/month? Someone explain this poo poo to me :smith:

Because probably until recently like 90% of the people who get Bell internet just wanted something to plug their computer into so they could watch the funny youtubes their frends sent them and likely couldn't tell you what a gigabyte is in relation to bandwidth.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Brace posted:

Because Rogers is mandated to allow independent ISPs wholesale access to the network. This is what the big UBB hubbub has been all about : Rogers and Bell want to continue charging outrageous prices for little tiny parcels of bandwidth and they don't want you to be able to go and get a better deal elsewhere. They also want to prop up a dying cable and satellite market while keeping the Netflix boogeyman out of Canada.

That said, Acanac seems to be pretty hit and miss for quality. Prices are great but there seems to be a lot of complaints. Teksavvy is a little more, and they've had their own quality problems recently, but things have gotten a lot better and they're probably the best of the independent ISPs at the moment.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

triplexpac posted:

What kind of upload speed should I be expecting from Teksavvy cable internet? Right now I have 26 down and 0.9 up.

That really depends on your province. Check the http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp for your province and see if the numbers your paying for match. Anywhere around 80-90% of max is normal.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

8ender posted:

Because Rogers is mandated to allow independent ISPs wholesale access to the network. This is what the big UBB hubbub has been all about : Rogers and Bell want to continue charging outrageous prices for little tiny parcels of bandwidth and they don't want you to be able to go and get a better deal elsewhere. They also want to prop up a dying cable and satellite market while keeping the Netflix boogeyman out of Canada.

That said, Acanac seems to be pretty hit and miss for quality. Prices are great but there seems to be a lot of complaints. Teksavvy is a little more, and they've had their own quality problems recently, but things have gotten a lot better and they're probably the best of the independent ISPs at the moment.

So what would be the difference going from Rogers to Teksavvy? With the same down/up speed plan?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I have to say, Acanac is really awesome and comparable to Teksavvy unless you ever need to speak to them ever. We were with Acanac for 2 years and had no issues but one day our speeds plummeted and trying to talk with them on the phone was a nightmare. TS' customer service is some of the best I've ever experienced in any industry.

That being said pretty much every reseller is a better deal in every way than Bell/Rogers/Telus/Shaw

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Brace posted:

So what would be the difference going from Rogers to Teksavvy? With the same down/up speed plan?
The difference is your bill will be cheaper and none of your downloads will be throttled, at least for the time being.

As others have said, the only big downside to going with something like TekSavvy or Acanac is the fact that they are forced to rent the "last mile" from Rogers, and thus rely upon Rogers to provide support with the actual connection to your house.

Almost any complaint that you hear about TekSavvy on either DSL or Cable is that someone runs into a connection problem (i.e. the modem isn't properly provisioned, or they were accidentally disconnected at the cable box) and it takes way longer than it should to have the problem corrected because Bell/Rogers will make it as low a priority as they are legally allowed to. It's not surprising that when they are forced to allow third parties on their network by law and those third parties offer a far superior deal by not gouging their customers, Bell and Rogers ensure the administrative/technical support side is as cumbersome as possible.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 26, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

kuddles posted:

The difference is your bill will be cheaper and none of your downloads will be throttled, at least for the time being.

As others have said, the only big downside to going with something like TekSavvy or Acanac is the fact that they are forced to rent the "last mile" from Rogers, and thus rely upon Rogers to provide support with the actual connection to your house.

Almost any complaint that you hear about TekSavvy on either DSL or Cable is that someone runs into a connection problem (i.e. the modem isn't properly provisioned, or they were accidentally disconnected at the cable box) and it takes way longer than it should to have the problem corrected because Bell/Rogers will make it as low a priority as they are legally allowed to. It's not surprising that when they are forced to allow third parties on their network by law and those third parties offer a far superior deal by not gouging their customers, Bell and Rogers ensure the administrative/technical support side is as cumbersome as possible.

Will I get a more shoddy/interrupted/worse connection? I mean I run at 15mb/s download but only download at like 1.3 or 1.4mb/s with my connection right now... maybe that's normal, I don't really understand it but yeah, I'm mainly just worried about the reliability of the connection because it's obviously a smaller company.

Also I'm renting a rogers router/modem in one, if that has anything to do with it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Brace posted:

Will I get a more shoddy/interrupted/worse connection? I mean I run at 15mb/s download but only download at like 1.3 or 1.4mb/s with my connection right now... maybe that's normal, I don't really understand it but yeah, I'm mainly just worried about the reliability of the connection because it's obviously a smaller company.
That's pretty normal. I think you're confusing two different things there. Your connection is probably 15 Mbps (MegaBitsPerSecond) but your download speed from most places is presented as MB/S (MegaBytesPerSecond). It's annoying that it's always put in those terms, but the short of it is that even with a perfect 15 MBPS connection, you won't get more than about 1.8 mb/s.

TekSavvy used to have some problems with congestion during peak hours, but they are a lot better about it now (basically because they will now refuse to take new customers in an area when the number of connections to a single POI is high enough), mostly because they no longer trust Rogers on claims of when they will be allowed new upgrades to the line.

My connection in Ottawa has been flawless, but your mileage may vary (I've heard about some problems in Kitchener a while ago). And like I said, your connection probably will be even smoother since TekSavvy doesn't do any kind of throttling or traffic shaping, or at least performs a negligible amount.

Probably the biggest hurdle with TekSavvy is right now you can only buy a cable modem, you can't rent from them, so I can understand feeling a little shaky with a rather high expense upfront for a company you never heard of.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 26, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

kuddles posted:

That's pretty normal. I think you're confusing two different things there. Your connection is probably 15 Mbps (MegaBitsPerSecond) but your download speed from most places is presented as MB/S (MegaBytesPerSecond). It's annoying that it's always put in those terms, but the short of it is that even with a perfect 15 MBPS connection, you won't get more than about 1.8 mb/s.

TekSavvy used to have some problems with congestion during peak hours, but they are a lot better about it now (basically because they will now refuse to take new customers in an area when the number of connections to a single POI is high enough), mostly because they no longer trust Rogers on claims of when they will be allowed new upgrades to the line.

My connection in Ottawa has been flawless, but your mileage may vary (I've heard about some problems in Kitchener a while ago). And like I said, your connection probably will be even smoother since TekSavvy doesn't do any kind of throttling or traffic shaping, or at least performs a negligible amount.

Probably the biggest hurdle with TekSavvy is right now you can only buy a cable modem, you can't rent from them, so I can understand feeling a little shaky with a rather high expense upfront for a company you never heard of.

Well I live in Etobicoke, Toronto, so I assume their connections would be pretty good here since it's the most populated city in Canada, but I could be wrong.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought people nowadays tried to avoid labeling themselves as from Etobicoke.

The only thing you have to worry about going from Rogers to Teksavvy is that Rogers most likely will give you the run around when they hook you up with the Teksavvy line. It's recommended that you have overlap between your Rogers and Teksavvy internet so you don't get stuck with no service for a few days or a week (depending on how much Rogers delays your poo poo, especially if they can stretch it across a weekend).

Speedwise you should be the same since it operates on the same network as Rogers.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

8ender posted:

I live in the GTA and switched from Acanac to Teksavvy and it's been great. My service with Acanac went completely out one day, calling their support number said to open a ticket online through their site... Weak.
My home had no internet and all they could suggest to me was to "install a different DSL modem to test." do most people have extra modems just laying around their homes?

Cancelled Acanac after 3 weeks of no assistance and having to use coffee shop wireless to check the support ticket (which was eventually just sent to retentions, with no results.)
Switched to Teksavvy and it's been excellent ever since. Customer service and support are easy to get a hold of, too!

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

kuddles posted:

Why IS that, anyway? You'd think they'd just rent the things.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nomenklatura posted:

Why IS that, anyway? You'd think they'd just rent the things.

No facilities to track the cable modems (Rogers tools don't show this to them), too much administrative hassle to collect and refurbish modems from people who cancel the service, way to difficult to deal with people who just stop paying.

Rogers and Bell can manage it because they have other services which depend on it (set top box, phone, etc) so adding another device is very low cost.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

Rogers and Bell can manage it because they have other services which depend on it (set top box, phone, etc) so adding another device is very low cost.
And it's easier to distribute or handle returns/exchanges when everyone can drop by one of a dozen Rogers/Bell stores in their area instead of shipping everything to Chatham.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't know pricing, but you know us.

Any chance you can get goons pricing on new service? (i.e. waiving the activation fee?)

That'd be swell.

Finally shaking off the shackles of oppression that Rogers Internet has become. We were the first on the block to get a cable modem when it came out, and now, more than a decade and a half (?) later... :byewhore:

Took you long enough Teksavvy, welcome to Markham!

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Eej posted:

I thought people nowadays tried to avoid labeling themselves as from Etobicoke.

Why would this be?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So this good ol wonderful day has come, we are cancelling our Bell internet and satellite this morning and I'll be signing us up for TekSavvy on our last two day's worth of internet this afternoon.

I'm assuming when it says first month billed today that just means we'll be billed on every month on the 28th?

Regardless, it'll be nice to have no caps and constantly gimped speed in some way or another.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I ordered Teksavvy a week or two ago, and they're supposed to come out to my new place tomorrow evening to hook it all up, but I don't think the cable modem they've mailed has arrived yet (thanks to the lock-out). Tragedy!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Brace posted:

Why would this be?

Rob Ford.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

I work for Teksavvy. Yes, they will exist in a year. The only way they might not exist in a year is if the government, despite changing Industry ministers, goes head on into allowing foreign investors to come in and AT&T buys up Teksavvy for a big enough price to make a family company sell to create AT&T Canada. Even then you're going to get awesome service.*

The company just added over 60 employees in the last six months, me included. They used to just have an office in Chatham (along with a lobbying office in Ottawa and a marketing office in Toronto) and they've recently set up an office in Sudbury to add more French speaking CSRs and TSRs.

Teksavvy is a growing company, not a company surviving on just good marketing.

*EDIT: Just because I started working here and I loving love my job, I just want to say that I'm not trying to be an authority on this. Especially the idea of them selling. I have no idea and I'd never bet on it. Oh, and George Burger is really, really tall.

Yoooooou.

What is your name. I wanted to put you down as our referrer on the presale form.

EDIT: Too late :( mother wanted her credit card back so I had to finish up. I mentioned you in the comments anyway.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 28, 2011

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Today I upgraded to the 50/3 pack and the speeds are amazing, the only downside to this whole scenario was that I had to give up my beloved little motorola modem. Shaw gave me a SMCD3GN unit which is supposed to act as a router/modem/print server. No matter what I was unable to log into the control panel of the router, it never broadcast a wifi signal and after 2 hours on the phone with tech support including an apparently failed firmware update to fix the wireless issues I had them turn it into a bridge and went back to my linksys setup. Hopefully this doesn't gently caress with my connection or give me NAT issues with xbox live. I thought 7.5mbit was fast, I have seen fast now and I never want to go back to that lower connection again.

Lesson to be learned: have them turn your fancy new router/modem into a bridge and keep your old more stable network intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Space Cadet posted:

Today I upgraded to the 50/3 pack and the speeds are amazing, the only downside to this whole scenario was that I had to give up my beloved little motorola modem. Shaw gave me a SMCD3GN unit.

I just left my job at Shaw. The SMC gateways are terrible. We found all sorts of weird issues with them, especially the ones you mentioned. For some reason Toshiba laptops were totally incompatible with them :confused:

You should still be able to get a DOCSIS 3 Motorola modem, I believe. You're probably paying a monthly rental on the SMC, the regular modem would just be included normally as before.

What we also hated was that the gateways put the wireless troubleshooting on us, so we couldn't deflect router issues to D-Link or whatever. The calls about them never ended.