Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Duke Nukem 3D reloaded? If this is a complete overhaul to the original game my god that could be amazing. Assuming of course 3DRealms doesn't axe the project,
First page of the blog:

quote:

The Project Lead, Frederik Schreiber, travels to the U.S, to visit Gearbox Software, for the very first Duke Nukem Reloaded presentation.
So I don't think it will be axed.
Also:

quote:

Memorable locations such as Hollywood Holocaust and Shrapnel City will be respectfully recreated with new and exciting vehicular sequences, non-playable characters, scripted events and all-new interactive experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Duke Nukem 3D reloaded? If this is a complete overhaul to the original game my god that could be amazing.

Assuming of course 3DRealms doesn't axe the project, or it doesn't turn into vaporware like Black Mesa Source. I don't know if 3DR still own all the IP to Duke Nukem, but they've been pretty strict about shutting down projects like that in the past.

Eh, even if it goes down, eDuke32 + Duke Plus looks good enough for me. Now I just need to get farther into the game than the 6th level or so cuz I keep getting lost. :(

Cray
Dec 3, 2010
Seems we're getting LA Noire after all.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/23/l-a-noire-announced-for-pc/

RDR next, please.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Duke Nukem 3D reloaded? If this is a complete overhaul to the original game my god that could be amazing.

Assuming of course 3DRealms doesn't axe the project, or it doesn't turn into vaporware like Black Mesa Source. I don't know if 3DR still own all the IP to Duke Nukem, but they've been pretty strict about shutting down projects like that in the past.

3DRealms doesn't have the power to axe anything anymore. Gearbox owns every facet of the Duke Nukem IP. And that fan remake is under license from Gearbox, so it's officially sanctioned.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Cray posted:

RDR next, please.

Oh god yes, I have a save file a desk into that game on a friends console, but I don't hang out with him nearly enough to scratch my itch for this game. I wonder if it'll look better, it's already pretty spectacular.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Cross-posting this from the Steam thread since this would be a better place for it:

I started playing Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden a few days ago and it's downright amazing. If you love the 16-bit RPGs of yesteryear, but with an over-the-top story, you must play this.

Are there any other exceptionally good freeware games out there? It's too bad we don't have a freeware thread.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cray posted:

RDR next, please.

As I posted in the Steam thread I don't think this will happen. It seems they would at least announce RDR before LA Noire and they haven't. Tis' a shame.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Red_Fred posted:

As I posted in the Steam thread I don't think this will happen. It seems they would at least announce RDR before LA Noire and they haven't. Tis' a shame.

There's still a possibility that RDR gets ported. I'd imagine that if LA Noire does well, they'll start looking into the possibility. And, well, better late than never.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
LA Noire is a terrible game, wish we got RDR instead.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
FEAR 3 owns and everyone should buy it, the PC version is really good too.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

keyframe posted:

I heard it was quite good just a bit long? But yeah, personally I'd rather see RDR on our beloved platform - cowboys beat gangsters every time in my book. Unless it's a gangster-cowboy, then it's just loving amazing.

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
I got used to the G110 and it's really nice I don`t hate it anymore. I just don't know what I'll do with 12 macro keys -- maybe theyll be useful in Diablo 3.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

I got used to the G110 and it's really nice I don`t hate it anymore. I just don't know what I'll do with 12 macro keys -- maybe theyll be useful in Diablo 3.

Do you have Crysis Warhead?

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Do you have Crysis Warhead?

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

Of course I have Crysis Warhead bro

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

keyframe posted:

Yah, what a complete waste of money. Tech was nice tho.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

I heard it was quite good just a bit long? But yeah, personally I'd rather see RDR on our beloved platform - cowboys beat gangsters every time in my book. Unless it's a gangster-cowboy, then it's just loving amazing.

Don't we usually complain about games being too short?

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Too short is too short. Too long means that it gets repetitive... like, the game showed you everything that you were ever going to do in the game in the first few hours, and then just had you do exactly the same type of stuff for many hours after that for no real reason other than padding.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
This video perfectly describes the LA noire experience:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a4fd788ce7/real-life-l-a-noire?playlist=featured_videos

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

FEAR 3 owns and everyone should buy it, the PC version is really good too.
Ok, those weren't words I was expecting from that game

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

You Am I posted:

Ok, those weren't words I was expecting from that game

It is really fun. I do not regret buying it at all and I was willing to bet it would be the worst game this year.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just got my sweet rear end mouse pad today.

It has a grainy surface for more control on one side and a smooth surface for speed on the other. Plus, it's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Money well spent.

Now my new GeForce card need to get here! :pcgaming:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Charles Martel posted:

It has a grainy surface for more control on one side and a smooth surface for speed on the other. Plus, it's a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. Money well spent.

I have the same mousepad and love it

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had the same mousepad and I hated it. The bump proved to be more uncomfortable than comfortable, sold it and got a Ripperpad XXL.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm tempted to get myself a second 22" monitor since they've become really cheap; however, while it would certainly look übercooldork, I'm not sure it would be the best use of ~1000 Swedish crowns compared to e.g. a mechanical keyboard, or (most of) a new point-and-shoot. Especially since I have an old-ish laptop that can partly replicate its function.

So: what are the really cool things you do with a second monitor that make you think "how did I ever live with a single screen"?

Also, without getting a 5000 word essay from the monitor thread, what is the essential difference between LED and LCD monitors?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

NihilCredo posted:

Also, without getting a 5000 word essay from the monitor thread, what is the essential difference between LED and LCD monitors?

Depends on whether the screen has local dimming (as opposed to edge-lighting), which improves image quality (contrast and black levels). If it doesn't, the main difference is power consumption and possibly size (read: thickness).

I like having a second monitor so I can have things like TS, Skype and other useful windows on the second monitor while gaming, but I've never found it that big of a deal. I use my laptop's screen for it and will often turn it off to improve performance.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting this Fear 3 video Why? Just cause :colbert:

Short video I just made. Sorry for the quality, still learning the newfangled encoding program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TaLBKZ3oZo

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

keyframe posted:

This video perfectly describes the LA noire experience:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a4fd788ce7/real-life-l-a-noire?playlist=featured_videos

So you're saying it's a video game?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So you're saying it's a video game?

I am saying it's a bad video game.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!

You Am I posted:

I have the same mousepad and love it

I too use this pad, and it is awesome. Getting really tempted to pick F.3. A.R, what is the co-op like?

E: Yeah gotta agree with the sentiment that LA Noire is not very good. I picked it up on xbox, while repairing my PC, dropped it like a hot potato when my machine was back up and running. It just wasn't fun.

ee: typos, silly iPhone.

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 24, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

keyframe posted:

I dunno, the only thing I took away from that video is that it has videogamey gameplay systems and videogamey body animations.

edit: I'll say that I really like the setting, I like the concept, I loved the Phoenix Wright games, and there's enough people who feel the same that say great things about the game to make me really excited to finally play it come fall.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 24, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
If RDR gets released on the PC at this point I'm going to be pissed because I bought a PS3 last year so I could play that game when I found out there wasn't going to be a PC version of the game. But then again I never finished RDR or Uncharted 2 or LBP2 yet. I just finished OoT3D just so I could unlock and play master quest and I still have so many games I bought off Steam I still have to play let alone finish I lost count. Add the fact I'm now splitting my free time between video games and reading books (got an ASUS eeePad Transformer tablet) so that certainly doesn't help me in my quest to play and finish all these goddamn games.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Manac0r posted:

I too use this pad, and it is awesome. Getting really temped ot pick F.3. A.R, what is the co-op like?

E: Yeah gotta agree with the sentiment that LA Noire is not very good. I picked it up on xbix, while repairing my PC, dropped it like a hot potato when my machine was back up and running. It just wasn't fun.

Coop is fun but I feel it's a case of a lack of coop in standard shooters that makes F3AR's a big surprise and quite enjoyable. Pointman controls slow-mo. Fettel can stun enemies with LMB, levitate them with RMB, and melee with whatever you set melee to. RMB on the Pointman shields him to share some damage, and your slow-mo key instead lets you possess the targeted enemy (Usually targeted through levitation). While possessing most enemies, you play like the Pointman without slowmo and your bar slowly drains. When empty, you just lose possession of the body. Dead bodies will have a bloodied mouth icon over them and running over the icon refills the possession bar a little. Unlocks that expand your slow-mo also expands the possession bar. Fettel can also possess cultists. Playing Fettel is very fun if you manage to keep your bar filled so you can jump bodies when possible and play without worrying about your own safety because you always emerge unharmed when the body dies.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Charles Martel posted:

I have the exact same feature in a $5 mousepad & USB hub combo. Name brand mousepads are where I draw the line in the sand with this madness.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Charles Martel posted:

So, which girlfriend did you piss off to ding up your mouse like that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Edoraz posted:

Give the man a break, it's not his fault Logitech stored their entire stock of MX518s in a rock tumbler.

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

keyframe posted:

I've never played it, but you could make a video like that for any game in existence, so it's not really convincing criticism.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Give the man a break, it's not his fault Logitech stored their entire stock of MX518s in a rock tumbler.
If there's one thing I hate about hte MX518, it's the awful color scheme. Why Logitech didn't offer a straight up black mouse with none of this silly fake dings and stuff, I'll never know.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Edoraz posted:

Dunno, bro. Which one? I've lost count of 'em. :smug:

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Cray posted:

I've never played it, but you could make a video like that for any game in existence, so it's not really convincing criticism.

That stuff is mostly inherent in most any Rockstar game, but a better word for LA Noire is boilerplate. Rockstar basically combined the most boring aspects of their previous games into one package in a very dull over world, and most of the action of a given scene winds up happening in scripted talk scenarios that suffer from the simple fact that the writing and facial cues which are supposed to guide you are extremely inconsistent and even flat bad/boring. When you add a main character who behaves almost bi-polar on top of that it sucks. Also it somehow manages to have an incredibly short main campaign that totally overstays its welcome because of the above.

TL;DR version: LA Noire is super boring and merely competent, it is pretty much a textbook rental title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Groselgar posted:

That stuff is mostly inherent in most any Rockstar game, but a better word for LA Noire is boilerplate. Rockstar basically combined the most boring aspects of their previous games into one package in a very dull over world, and most of the action of a given scene winds up happening in scripted talk scenarios that suffer from the simple fact that the writing and facial cues which are supposed to guide you are extremely inconsistent and even flat bad/boring. When you add a main character who behaves almost bi-polar on top of that it sucks. Also it somehow manages to have an incredibly short main campaign that totally overstays its welcome because of the above.

TL;DR version: LA Noire is super boring and merely competent, it is pretty much a textbook rental title.

Just FYI, Rockstar didn't make LA Noire, Team Bondi did.

• Locked thread