Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Positronic Spleen posted:

Speaking of mousepads, does anyone have a recommendation? All I can find around here are overpriced cloth ones that peel in under a month, so preferably something I can get online.

Also, I was going to get that G400, but then I saw the R.A.T. 7. In numerical terms it has more/better features, but I worry about reliability and if it's worth the extra cost. And I'm open to other suggestions, too, just nothing wireless.

This is the one I just got in case you missed it. I highly recommend it.

And might I remind my fellow PC gamers that a can of compressed air is your best friend. I just went to town on my PC for the first time in awhile and JAYSIS there was a lot of dust in there. Especially the CPU heatsink and PSU.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This is the only mouse pad you should even consider if you have the space for it. They're cheap, have a good surface, and last pretty well. You can get them from a variety of places.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Computer mice are about the only thing that makes me wish I wasn't a lefty :qq:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

jb7 posted:

I'm a lefty and I use mice right-handed. Just make the effort to switch, since it's worth it to be able to use any computer that's not the one you have at home.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

jb7 posted:

The razer death-adder left handed edition and the abyssus are both good for left handed people (ergonomic, and the abyssus is symmetrical), the keyboard might seem like a problem but it's actually a benefit to be a lefty because the right side of a computer keyboard is less useful than the left side and that gives you more mousing space in an FPS game.

As for the people asking about mousepads I definitely suggest QCK+ from SteelSeries, very basic and costs 10$, no frills just a cloth square, which is what you want honestly.

I just realized you have to rebind a bunch of stuff to use a mouse on the left side of your keyboard, though, because your thumb is in a different place. I guess you guys use C to crouch and stuff?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

K8.0 posted:

This is the only mouse pad you should even consider if you have the space for it. They're cheap, have a good surface, and last pretty well. You can get them from a variety of places.
Selling a mouse mat, show a picture of a printer.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Vertigus posted:

I'm a lefty and I use mice right-handed. Just make the effort to switch, since it's worth it to be able to use any computer that's not the one you have at home.

I can use a mouse right-handed fine enough. I just really, really, prefer it left-handed. I have left-handed Death-Adder and a Lachesis(Another ambidextrous mouse by Razer), but would love to have a left-handed G9 or RAT7.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Re: LA Noire -- I'm fine with the "teleport" option depending on the distance to the destination, and at least it has the in-universe justification of your partner driving, who if you had been driving would have been giving directions. (I still haven't found a way to subdue armed suspects without shooting them dead though...)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Awia posted:

Selling a mouse mat, show a picture of a printer.

I think they were trying to show the size of the pad more than anything. If you're going to buy that, spend a little more and get the Ripperpad XXL. So big, so soft and so easy to clean. I just dunk it in a bucket of water for 5-10 minutes, then dry it near my heater and then it's back on my table. Best deskpad I've ever owned.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the point of a mouse mat? Are you still trying to use wheel mice or something?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the point of a mouse mat? Are you still trying to use wheel mice or something?

Someone already asked that recently. Some people use mouse pads because they like being able to control how rough/smooth the surface is. Some people because they don't want to keep moving a mouse over a nice wooden desk surface.

Personally I like my mouse surfaces to have as little friction as possible and desk tops are too rough for my liking.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
My computer desk has a glass surface so I don't have a choice on whether or not I can use a mouse pad or not, I just grabbed a cheap-o thin one and it works fine.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Since we're on the subject, the feet on my G9 have started to wear off. Is there any kind of local DIY alternative to ordering mouse tape online? I mean it's just teflon/polyurethane, surely Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart/Michaels/etc has to have strips of that stuff from some reason or another, no?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

DEO3 posted:

Since we're on the subject, the feet on my G9 have started to wear off. Is there any kind of local DIY alternative to ordering mouse tape online? I mean it's just teflon/polyurethane, surely Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart/Michaels/etc has to have strips of that stuff from some reason or another, no?

I've heard that using nail gloss can work.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Charles Martel posted:

And might I remind my fellow PC gamers that a can of compressed air is your best friend. I just went to town on my PC for the first time in awhile and JAYSIS there was a lot of dust in there. Especially the CPU heatsink and PSU.

This, oh this. I cleaned out my CPU heatsink and it dropped my temperatures 10 degrees Celsius while idling, and around 25 to 30 degrees Celsius while in game. I don't know how my processor didn't burn up; the only thing that tipped it off to me is my computer constantly sounded like a jet taking off.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

americanzero4128 posted:

This, oh this. I cleaned out my CPU heatsink and it dropped my temperatures 10 degrees Celsius while idling, and around 25 to 30 degrees Celsius while in game. I don't know how my processor didn't burn up; the only thing that tipped it off to me is my computer constantly sounded like a jet taking off.

Just be careful not to spray the canned air very close to any components. You wouldn't want a loose bus line to get potentially blown off (sounds unlikely, but it can happen), or some residue from the canned air to stick on anything.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I got my EVGA GTX 460 SE card in earlier and I'm very pleased. I didn't know it was a more streamlined edition with 48 fewer CUDA cores when I first ordered it, but over clocked benchmarks on it that I've read quickly put my fears to rest. Basically a standard overclock can make the card surpass the performance of a "normal" 460 GTX.

I popped it in, installed the latest drivers from EVGA (275.33), loaded up MSI Afterburner and immediately overclocked the Core/Shader clocks from the default (read: gimped) 648/1296 all the way up to 850/1700, leaving the memory clock alone since I read that messing with that brings instability and very little performance gain.

I did a few cycles of Crysis's GPU Benchmark. Got a few small artifacts here and there, yet the tempature stayed at a constant and cool 65 degrees Celsius. The fan hardly budged staying at it's auto 40%. Eventually brought it back down to 830/1660 and the artifacts are gone. I could probably go higher, but I don't want to gently caress with voltages or anything.

All in all, saved $30 by doing my first real moderate overclock on a video card that makes it even better than a regular 460 GTX.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 25, 2011

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I've been using my mousepad for like 11 years now, and it just feels too weird to rest my hand on or move a mouse across anything else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Think of how much dirt and grime is built up on that part where you hand is resting :froggonk:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is Crysis 2 worth 60 bucks or should I wait for a price drop? I also got BC2 off Steam a while back for 6 bucks but I completely forgot about it and its been a long time (over 4 years probably) since I played BF2 so what should I expect from BC2?

edit: I usually played as Assault or Support in BF2 because being a Sniper got boring really quick for me.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 25, 2011

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

DEO3 posted:

This isn't really so much DIY, but these are pretty nice aftermarket mouse feet: http://www.hyperglide.net/

I picked up a set for my MX518 after the glue on the original simply quit out (Logitech glue not built for Texas weather apparently). It's probably too much money for this type of thing, but slap these on with some super glue and you'll never have to worry about mouse feet again.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

spasticColon posted:

Is Crysis 2 worth 60 bucks or should I wait for a price drop? I also got BC2 off Steam a while back for 6 bucks but I completely forgot about it and its been a long time (over 4 years probably) since I played BF2 so what should I expect from BC2?

Unfortunately Crysis 2 has been removed from Steam for the time being, so it won't be on sale there anytime soon/ever again. You might get lucky and grab it from D2D, I somehow doubt it will be available for cheap from EA's new digital platform Origin in the foreseeable future.

Battlefield 2 is a blast. I have bought it quite some time ago, played through the single player and haven't touched multiplayer until ~2 weeks ago.

It's very accessible and highly enjoyable (you will have tons of unlocks during your first 20-25 levels, but the starter setups are quite competitive with those of the lvl50 players, so don't worry... plus, you can always kill one of them and grab their loadout kit).

It's more fast paced and frenzied than BF2 with less emphasis on vehicles (although there are a few, depending on the map) and at first you will die... a lot. Don't give a gently caress about your K/D ratio, try to be useful for your team/squad and the map objectives and it will be quite rewarding, your K/D will get better eventually.

You can play sniper/recon in a different way in BC2 - grab a shotgun or a short sniper rifle with rapid fire, some C4 and go nuts. Snipers get motion sensors that are a very valuable asset to your team. Folks generally hate snipers who sit back and plink away at the enemy, since they are a wasted spawn point and most of the time don't contribute as much to the team effort as the grunts who throw themselves into the fray.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

Screw GTA, Saint's Row 3 is the game to look forward to.

Not if it runs like the last one.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Just be careful not to spray the canned air very close to any components. You wouldn't want a loose bus line to get potentially blown off (sounds unlikely, but it can happen), or some residue from the canned air to stick on anything.

I took the heatsink out of my computer before I did anything, everything else gets cleaned while it's all in one piece. Once a year or so I'll take out the DVD drive, hard drives, etc and blow compressed air in the hard to reach places to get the dust out. And as far as I know, you shouldn't be getting residue from compressed air at all unless you're holding the can sideways/upside down/basically not straight up....at least I haven't gotten any residue on any of the computers I've cleaned before with compressed air.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

mcbexx posted:

Unfortunately Crysis 2 has been removed from Steam for the time being, so it won't be on sale there anytime soon/ever again. You might get lucky and grab it from D2D, I somehow doubt it will be available for cheap from EA's new digital platform Origin in the foreseeable future.

Battlefield 2 is a blast. I have bought it quite some time ago, played through the single player and haven't touched multiplayer until ~2 weeks ago.

It's very accessible and highly enjoyable (you will have tons of unlocks during your first 20-25 levels, but the starter setups are quite competitive with those of the lvl50 players, so don't worry... plus, you can always kill one of them and grab their loadout kit).

It's more fast paced and frenzied than BF2 with less emphasis on vehicles (although there are a few, depending on the map) and at first you will die... a lot. Don't give a gently caress about your K/D ratio, try to be useful for your team/squad and the map objectives and it will be quite rewarding, your K/D will get better eventually.

You can play sniper/recon in a different way in BC2 - grab a shotgun or a short sniper rifle with rapid fire, some C4 and go nuts. Snipers get motion sensors that are a very valuable asset to your team. Folks generally hate snipers who sit back and plink away at the enemy, since they are a wasted spawn point and most of the time don't contribute as much to the team effort as the grunts who throw themselves into the fray.

I'll probably dive into Bad Company 2 on my next days off then. And why was Crysis 2 removed from Steam? Is EA just being assholes like they typically are or what? I also found out I can't activate my physical copy for Crysis: Maximum Edition on steam which sucks because one of the discs is hosed up and of course its the disc with Warhead and I really want to play it. And knowing EA I'll probably have to re-buy the loving game.:negative:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

jb7 posted:

I can use a mouse right-handed fine enough. I just really, really, prefer it left-handed. I have left-handed Death-Adder and a Lachesis(Another ambidextrous mouse by Razer), but would love to have a left-handed G9 or RAT7.

RATs are gimmick mice sold to people who think transformers is the coolest thing. Logitech mice have mouse prediction and I haven't used one since i stopped using my mx518 but I guess people like the beetle shape sometimes (I don't, though)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

spasticColon posted:

Is Crysis 2 worth 60 bucks or should I wait for a price drop?

Here's the thing about Crysis 2: it has the worst support I've ever seen. There have been serious bugs since release, on every platform, that still haven't been fixed. Every new patch seems to fix two problems while causing 2 problems.

This is a game where you randomly lose XP in multiplayer. If you browse menus, you'll get the menu music playing over itself several times over. Spawn points are bugged, killstreak bonuses cause so much lag they freeze the server, gun attachments sometimes fail to exist, and every killcam has to be scrutinized for signs of aimbotting.

That said, the actual game is pretty awesome. A huge patch is coming on monday that should fix a lot of stuff and add DirectX 11 features, so that might be awesome. I would say that the game is not worth 60 dollars. I would also say that the map packs they're selling as DLC are not worth 10 dollars apiece.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

I saw a PC copy of Crysis 2 in a game store for £15 a few days ago, if that's what the retailers think it's worth you may be able to find a physical copy much cheaper, or at least not full price.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
I have it on the PS3 and haven't even opened it yet. Might try it out later though. XP loss doesn't really bother me as I'm only casual nowadays anyway.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Speaking of Bad Company 2, does singleplayer merit touching? Multiplayer is a good way to scratch that battlefield itch I've had for a while, but I remember trying the first one's singleplayer for about an hour and being unbelievably bored.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Golashes posted:

Speaking of Bad Company 2, does singleplayer merit touching? Multiplayer is a good way to scratch that battlefield itch I've had for a while, but I remember trying the first one's singleplayer for about an hour and being unbelievably bored.

No, it's strictly a multiplayer game where it shines.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Golashes posted:

The single player is horrible and outright steals some scenes from other popular first person shooters. The only reason it is there is if your internet connection is down.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Golashes posted:

BC2's single player is basically a CoD campaign with building destruction, so it's fun if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise, don't even touch it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Charles Martel posted:

I got my EVGA GTX 460 SE card in earlier and I'm very pleased. I didn't know it was a more streamlined edition with 48 fewer CUDA cores when I first ordered it, but over clocked benchmarks on it that I've read quickly put my fears to rest. Basically a standard overclock can make the card surpass the performance of a "normal" 460 GTX.

I popped it in, installed the latest drivers from EVGA (275.33), loaded up MSI Afterburner and immediately overclocked the Core/Shader clocks from the default (read: gimped) 648/1296 all the way up to 850/1700, leaving the memory clock alone since I read that messing with that brings instability and very little performance gain.

I did a few cycles of Crysis's GPU Benchmark. Got a few small artifacts here and there, yet the tempature stayed at a constant and cool 65 degrees Celsius. The fan hardly budged staying at it's auto 40%. Eventually brought it back down to 830/1660 and the artifacts are gone. I could probably go higher, but I don't want to gently caress with voltages or anything.

All in all, saved $30 by doing my first real moderate overclock on a video card that makes it even better than a regular 460 GTX.
I find it kind of funny that the first thing you did was start tweaking settings and running benchmarks, instead of loading up a game.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

spasticColon posted:

I'll probably dive into Bad Company 2 on my next days off then. And why was Crysis 2 removed from Steam? Is EA just being assholes like they typically are or what? I also found out I can't activate my physical copy for Crysis: Maximum Edition on steam which sucks because one of the discs is hosed up and of course its the disc with Warhead and I really want to play it. And knowing EA I'll probably have to re-buy the loving game.

EA is currently launching their own new digital sales platform, "Origin".
The reason for removing Crysis 2 as stated by EA is that certain parts of Steam's publishing terms disagree with those of another digital platform Crytek is cooperating with, so it had to be removed by EA or even was removed by Valve. The details are a bit hazy right now.

You should be able to register your physical copy of Crysis ME with Origin though, allowing you to download it again without purchasing a new copy. At least that's how I suspect it's supposed to work in the long run, I couldn't be bothered to install Origin yet.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

notZaar posted:

I find it kind of funny that the first thing you did was start tweaking settings and running benchmarks, instead of loading up a game.

Heh, I have plenty of time for that when I attempt to get through my enormous backlog here.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Just had a power supply break on me, thankfully it's in warranty. Anyone had any experience with OCZ Customer service?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

notZaar posted:

Hah, playing games yeah right, PC gaming is about getting 60 FPS while exploding the world, then moving on to the next game.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Awia posted:

Just had a power supply break on me, thankfully it's in warranty. Anyone had any experience with OCZ Customer service?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No seriously: gently caress OCZ. I would try the store if I were you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I've been using this great pad for years. I'm pretty sure it is impossible to wear out.

• Locked thread