Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Following the no spoiler rule, all I will say is that Cloud mentioned Jenova as being "Sephiroth's." So if you are wondering why he didn't gently caress the hell off when she/it freaked out on a rampage, it is established that they have some connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This is why Sephiroth jumped out the window as opposed to taking the elevator like a normal human being:

"So. How about that Kenny G, eh? It's not really my thing. I prefer Morissey or Bauhaus, myself. God, how long does this elevator take? There's, like, what, nearly 70 floors? I hope nobody stops us, last thing I wanna do is make small talk with some business sheeple. I'd have to gut the bastard.

"...gently caress. I just realized I left my sword up there. Dammit! Well, I ain't going back up there, you saw the poo poo that was flying around, that stuff was straight creepy."

"SQUISH BLRRRRK SCKLAAAACKR RRRRRNGHAAAAARGHK!"

"Heh, totally. Did you see that scientist guy up there? Dude was trying to get one of those brain pods to hump the spiky four-legged thing. It was like... animal husbandry, Resident Evil style."

"SPLAAAARK SHLSHLSHLAAAARFTH!"

"What do you mean 'he seemed familiar'? He had you in a pen, you saw him every day, of course he seemed familiar!"

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

...holy poo poo, why does Heidegger look so badass? I always thought he was a dumpy little guy like Palmer :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

...holy poo poo, why does Heidegger look so badass? I always thought he was a dumpy little guy like Palmer :psyduck:

Heidegger once petitioned to have himself registered as a city monument to avoid paying taxes. It almost went through, but got sidetracked by Hojo's proposal to make water and fire breed (tests were ultimately inconclusive).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

You don't get to be the leader of the most powerful army in the world for nothing. I'm sad Rufus isn't in that picture, because he's pretty loving cool, too. He's also one of the two Shinra execs who would be out of place in an episode of Captain Planet by virtue of being pragmatically evil instead of a cackling supervillain.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Bocc Kob posted:

Tifa does as much damage with a punch to the gut and a kick to the shins as Cloud slashing your entire body with a sword bigger than he is can.

That is kind of weird, what's up with that? :iiam:

Schwartzcough posted:

As far as Buster Sword talk, some guy made one..

:ms:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Momomo posted:

The thing I remember most about this part is the first time playing it. I had no idea what the game wanted me to do once Rufus came (I didn't notice the door outside), so I ran downstairs and died in a random encounter.

It was fun playing that game with no memory card :shepicide:

The funny thing is in the European PSX verison of the manual there's an advertisement for the Memory Card (Which makes sense) that challenges the reader to "Try and finish the game without it!"

To this day, I'm certain they were being sarcastic but we've all seen people do that sort of nonsense.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is that Sephiroth is supposed to be that totally cool and awesome, so he can use such a stupidly impractical weapon.

Honestly, even the Buster Sword is more logical. It's gently caress-off huge, sure, but if you can muster the strength to swing it that weight's going to add a lot of force for a chop. Granted, it'd also be slow as poo poo.

And that's too many words on video game swords for me.

This is basically the logic of the Monster Hunter series, where every weapon is Buster Sword sized, and needs to be because the enemies are goddamn huge. It takes forever to actually get the sword moving, but once you get a swing started there's no stopping it. Unless a giant gently caress-off dragon barrels into your face at 90mph.

As for this game, it never really made sense to me that Sephiroth's sword is called the Masamune. If I'm remembering right Masamune swords were supposed to never harm the innocent, while Muramasa swords were evil, bloodthirsty blades.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Mr. Vile posted:

As for this game, it never really made sense to me that Sephiroth's sword is called the Masamune. If I'm remembering right Masamune swords were supposed to never harm the innocent, while Muramasa swords were evil, bloodthirsty blades.

As near as I can tell, Japanese game developers fuckin' love inverting semi-religious symbolism. Though, it is kind of weird for them to do it with one of their own folk tales, rather than the usual trope of inverting Christian iconography.

Do any other games do this?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Arujei posted:

I'm just surprised that Square would name one of their villains after one of the more influential German philosophers.

The only surprise is that he isn't the hero, then. :colbert:

And yeah, it's probably because his reputation is "that Nazi philosopher" instead of anything to do with anything he said.

It's worth noting that he didn't really say anything that you can apply to FFVII.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 19 - Out of Darkness, Out of Mind

Haha

This is the first time we see Rufus and I'm already loving him.

I mean, it's like the dude is a James Bond villain and he's loving it.

The charm about FF7's blocky models is that you need to think of them as lego dolls.

It greatly improves the enjoyment of the game.

I wonder in how many alternate universes the world is ruled by a simple megacorporation like this.

Now, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Hahahahaha.

Cloud gets the very right idea.

In a way, this is the moment where you realize how hosed up everything truly is. The president of the company that you took as the villain during this first part of the game is dead - and someone much worse is replacing him. Your whole party is composed of fugitives in a world where that single government that wants you dead controls everything. And apparently, the "enemy of my enemy" is someone the protagonist is terrified of, and everybody so far has been saying he is "brilliant, perhaps too brilliant".

The protagonist has psychotic breakdowns and his also wanted date hears voices and was in a lab being forced to breed with a talking dog.

I mean, seriously.

This is another good instance of Cloud not being the "silent protagonist".

If you think a lot about it, this entire sequence is a mess, in a good way. Everything is simply too hosed up.

We get the chance to remove the items from Tifa and Cloud to equip on Aeris, Barret and Red.

Our Hypers, sadly, are running low.

At any rate, we equip our characters and go to the elevator, because iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's

BOSSES TIME

That's right, it's plural and good God, is it plural.

Our first fight is a double fight on the elevator, Hundred Gunner and Heli Gunner. Because the two enemies come at the same fight, I'll treat it as one fight.

Both bosses share the same gimmick - they enter a "Berserk mode" when their HP is low which makes them do special attacks that hurt. Also, I'd like to point this - this fight is a jump in difficulty compared to the previous bosses.

These bosses deal extremely large amounts of damage very fast and you can't reach with normal attacks (well, Barret can). Heli Gunner also puts Sleep and Poison and strikes twice in the same turn, so even with Aeris 1-1 limit it's possible to lose if you're not paying attention.

To beat them before they do anything stupid we do a double-limit attack to kill Hundred Gunner before he goes into last phase (remember, Limits have priority over any action), refill Barret and Red's bars with Aeris' Fury Brand and do the same to Heli Gunner.

Meanwhile, Cloud gets to fight Rufus. Really, I know I should be showing off the fights in their entirety, but what the hell can I say? Rufus has 500 HP. We've fought trash mobs with almost as much as that. And he has a panther called Dark Nation. It always puts wall (reduces damage and magic damage) on Rufus in the first turn. I think you can hold attack and win this battle.

If you guys really, really want, I recorded the fight with me just spamming Fire until they die, so you can see their attacks. For now, let's move on.

No poo poo, son, you just attacked the president of the new world order and all your friends aren't doing much better either.

It's like the shittiest situation.

It's not like they didn't just invade this place to rescue you.

Red is the voice of reason, he's the one who genuinelly don't give a gently caress about our group and just wants to get out.

Meanwhile, Tifa comes down the stairs with a solution.

GRAND

THEFT

AUTO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN TO BEEEEEEEE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILD

What else were the guys to do?

Also notice how they actually animate Tifa's breasts bouncing.

Also man look at that music oh god the music MY BLOOD IS PUMPING

TUM DUM DUM

OH GOD THEY ARE SURROUNDING US

YEAHHHRHH

You can either beat them with the sword or crash them against the walls.

END OF LINE

MONSTER TRUCK IS COMING

:supaburn:

gently caress YOOOU MONSTER TRUCK

BOSSES WHO HAVE DONE poo poo AGAINST US: 0/8 :hellyeah:

Ok, sorry for all that, it was just too much adrenalyne.

Back to the routine.

The score... for what?

Cloud: "Seems like it."

Barret: "Awright, I'm going!"

Adeus Midgar, we're gonna miss you.

Well, that was fun.

Now you get to see why this screen exists.

You're a crappy parent, you don't even know where your daughter is right now.

I mean, as far as bad parenting goes, Barret takes the cake.

Midgar, as a poster said, is a great game in on itself. It's large too - granted, I'm slow as hell, but the city took us almost 20 updates.

Red is pretty sincere about his intentions. But I'm not one to complain.

Cloud still wants his date :arg:

God no Barret we don't want to die in another city crash.

Tifa is pretty bitter and passive-agressive about it. As always, we can't blame her. The only reason she got in this whole mess was to get laid with Cloud and all that it got her was an arrest warrant, dead friends and Cloud getting himself a date.

WHAT IS THIS INSANE ANIME LOGIC, WHY DON'T YOU ALL GO TOGETHER

WHY IS IT TOO DANGERSAHRRGHHRHHHhsdefdf this makes zero sense to me.

Cloud can finally fulfill his most repressed fantasies.

The ladies of course find that incredibly strange.

I'm just kidding though.

Back to FFX-2

Haahahahah

HOLY CARP WE'RE OUT and good lord look at that pollution, everything around Midgar is a wasteland.

NEXT TIME:

Exploring! Enemy Skills! New Cities!

Chapter 19 - Bugs & Bytes

Vehicles

FFVII, as you may have noticed by the Shinra Ads CGI, did put some effort into the vehicle designs. The motorcycle Cloud uses is called Hardy Daytona.

Notice how Cloud is using the Hardedge in the artwork.

The automobile the others use is actually a Tricycle.

Notice the Engrish MIDGAL'S on the truck. If you look closely, you can see that it's there in concept art below. A lot of you should know why these things happens, but it's because Japanese doesn't distinguish between L and R, so things get lost in translation even when the source is an occidental word (Midgard to Midgar to Midgal).

The style is still interesting, all things considered. They have a classic american vibe to them.

Awesome Music we've listened to in this update:

Chase - The only redeeming thing about a bad minigame.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

This is the second best line in the game. Even as a kid I thought this was such a badass thing to say.

Rufus Shinra, wise in the ways of money management.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The Hundred Gunner/Heli Gunner boss fight is the coolest in the game, seriously. I am a sucker for forced party boss fights.

Also, I love the chase scene.

And now... everything after Midgar...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Great! Now the prologue is finally over oh wait no it's not.

This game takes forever to get rolling (compared to other series, that is *cough*finalfantasy13*cough*), but it's one of the best openings to a game there is.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dpbjinc posted:

Great! Now the prologue is finally over oh wait no it's not.

This game takes forever to get rolling (compared to other series, that is *cough*finalfantasy13*cough*), but it's one of the best openings to a game there is.

I think you got the order wrong. The game starts rolling. I mean, did you see that escape from Midgar?

Everything else is the epilogue.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think my sense of difficulty is completely hosed up.

The gunners didn't give me any trouble whatsoever. I had to do them twice (more on that soon) and there wasn't a single instance where I said "hey, that could have been dangerous". And I was far behind you in limits and levels.

Rufus, on the other hand, simply killed Cloud the first time around. I had forgotten to equip cure on him :downs:. Really stupid, but you make it sound like you could just spam him into oblivion; before I could do that, though, he'd have me killed. Level too low, HP too low, I'd have to heal. And Potions can just barely keep up with his shotgun and the panther/dog/forgot. If he crits, that's a race I can't win.

Very strange. The minigame is lovely with bad hitboxes, but I didn't mind it at all because being bad at it mattered jackshit. The music is drat awesome, I grant it that, and the sequence, while ridiculous, is also really cool. This is the best part of the part of the game I saw.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I always liked this minigame because it was so chaotic.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simply Simon posted:

I think my sense of difficulty is completely hosed up.

The gunners didn't give me any trouble whatsoever. I had to do them twice (more on that soon) and there wasn't a single instance where I said "hey, that could have been dangerous". And I was far behind you in limits and levels.

Rufus, on the other hand, simply killed Cloud the first time around. I had forgotten to equip cure on him :downs:. Really stupid, but you make it sound like you could just spam him into oblivion; before I could do that, though, he'd have me killed. Level too low, HP too low, I'd have to heal. And Potions can just barely keep up with his shotgun and the panther/dog/forgot. If he crits, that's a race I can't win.

Very strange. The minigame is lovely with bad hitboxes, but I didn't mind it at all because being bad at it mattered jackshit. The music is drat awesome, I grant it that, and the sequence, while ridiculous, is also really cool. This is the best part of the part of the game I saw.

It all comes down to play-styles. You may have noticed but I'm extremely offensive, I don't think I've ever healed without Aeris' limit in any of these videos and even though I said her 1-1 is an invincibility assurance, I switched to the set 2. The gunners deal a crapload of damage so if you're not into a healing mood, that can be troublesome as they can shutdown your healer with sleep and do 250-300 damage in one round.

Rufus on the other hand you have just Cloud, so if you're used to healing or playing defensively, that fight can screw you hard. If you can't one shot him, you need to get rid of the panther as soon as humanly possible.

If you don't then yeah, you're screwed.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 25, 2011

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't help but think that Rufus's pet tentacle panther is a Watchmen reference.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
When I first got this game, I started playing it at around 3pm in the afternoon. When the Heli Gunners killed me for my first game over (no ranged attacks except Barret) I looked at my watch and realised it was 4am. Went to bed, picked up where I left off the next morning. Good times.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
If you're absolutely terrible at the motorcycle chase like me, you don't even have to crash the other bikes into walls. Just bumping into them enough while you flail uselessly will eventually crash them. :smith:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I had trouble with the gunners once, when I'd put Elemental Poison on Barret's weapon for some reason.

Yeah... that was a long fight. I don't think he had any useful magic, either. Fortunately, Limits ignore elemental properties for the most part, so he was able to get off plenty of Big Shots.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I had always assumed that Sephiroth had taken the Jenova body. Did it actually just slither away with Sephiroth? If this is something we find out later then just say we'll find out later as I don't want spoiled.

That bit they all introduce themselves to Rufus is priceless.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The main difficulty in the bike minigame comes from the fact that Cloud swings his sword so drat slow, it's hitbox is too small and the targets are constantly moving.

But yeah, as stated, it doesn't really matter even if you get hit constantly, since it's nearly impossible to lose during it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The HP bars during the bike minigame directly translate into the character HP for the boss fight, so if you're doing a no healing run and get beaten up badly during the minigame that might be a problem.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Right posted:

I had always assumed that Sephiroth had taken the Jenova body. Did it actually just slither away with Sephiroth? If this is something we find out later then just say we'll find out later as I don't want spoiled.

We find out later but it's something a lot of people seem to miss.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I remember when I would play the motorcycle minigame JUST to hear that music. It's so good and I'm going to have this on loop for a bit now thanks to you, Elentor.

Thank you it's so good :swoon:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I beat Rufus and Dark Nation in one shot. A mere Bolt2-All and the (awesome) fucker didn't know what hit him. :hellyeah:

Also, I love the escape scene. The way the music segues from the boss theme which continues from the start of the Rufus fight to partway through the scene at the entrance with Red, Barret and Aeries is just incredible.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 25, 2011

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Out of the city, and into the rest of the world! This was always the end of the prologue for me because, well, getting out of the home village is the first hurdle, but also, as you said, that chase music was boss. A really good opening, all in all.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm doing this way too often lately, but i need to link a remix again in this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgdDJRCb4dY
Speed Limit

A remix of the chase scene music and, despite sound rather different (no cheesy popcorn synths), it kicks rear end in all the right way. Hell yeah. (again, recommended in 480p, listen to these drums)

I'm pretty sure it's goon-made, too!

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Third Murderer posted:

Honestly, Sephiroth's sword is more "practical" because at least you could probably use it as a wonky spear if you wore something to protect your hands. Even the strongest man in the world wouldn't be able to use something like the buster sword.

But it's a video game so who cares?

Don't forget the only people in the game wielding inhumanely sized weapons are all the altered supersoldiers in the game's world.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Gahmah posted:

Don't forget the only people in the game wielding inhumanely sized weapons are all the altered supersoldiers in the game's world.

I've already said multiple times that I have no problem with video game characters using impossible weapons. Not so sure it's a very effective way to make Cloud look super-strong though - having just watched the boss fight with Motor Ball, I notice that Tifa has no trouble suplexing a monster truck robot. Cloud waving his sword around isn't very impressive in comparison.

Anyway, it's worth pointing out that Red's tail glows in the FMV. If it weren't for that, I would never have realized that the tip of his tail doesn't have a tuft of hair - it's on fire. Like a Charmander! :3:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The best part of that Tifa fight, I don't know if it's something about Motor's model or the way Tifa suplexes, but watch her do it. Every time she picks it up, they start shaking really hard, like she's just barely able to do it. I love that, it's so perfect.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Captain Bravo posted:

The best part of that Tifa fight, I don't know if it's something about Motor's model or the way Tifa suplexes, but watch her do it. Every time she picks it up, they start shaking really hard, like she's just barely able to do it. I love that, it's so perfect.

Someone who worked on Sabin in FFVI looked at Sabin being able to Suplex the Phantom Train and made a conscious effort to say "gently caress yeah we're keeping that poo poo."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought suplex was an insult back when Sabin was able to lift a train, then you see Tifa picking up the truck thing and it really sounds like it hit the ground.

Is that the only stuff they say when you have your party outside Midgar?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 25, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jakse posted:

Someone who worked on Sabin in FFVI looked at Sabin being able to Suplex the Phantom Train and made a conscious effort to say "gently caress yeah we're keeping that poo poo."

Indeed.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

Elentor posted:

Rufus on the other hand you have just Cloud, so if you're used to healing or playing defensively, that fight can screw you hard. If you can't one shot him, you need to get rid of the panther as soon as humanly possible.

If you don't then yeah, you're screwed.

Well let's be honest here, most people, particularly first timers aren't going to have both Climhazzard or the Hardedge at your point in the game.

I usually get Blade Beam at the very end of Midgar or soon after, Climhazzard takes quite a while after that.

niebezimienny
Dec 29, 2008
Someone said earlier on that you can't duplicate non-combat items. Au contraire:

when there's more than 1 enemy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gEkyz11l5s
when there's only 1 enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nd9Ajn5mSA
duplicating unique weapons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9dnF3FYreQ

spoilers, durrr

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Gotta give Rufus cred for use a sawed-off double-barreled shotgun as his weapon of choice :black101:

Hmm, I wonder if that black panther (Dark Nation) is a reference to anything else, like Lodem from Babel II or Giant Robo, which might fit the whole Shinra/Mako alternative-energy-that-is-bad-mojo-theme a bit better. Which would make Rufus... Big Fire. He even got a crew of super powered suit-wearing assholes and everything.

poo poo, I can sperg up nerdy poo poo too! I'm a real goon now, momma gonna be so proud :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

niebezimienny posted:

Someone said earlier on that you can't duplicate non-combat items. Au contraire:

when there's more than 1 enemy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gEkyz11l5s
when there's only 1 enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nd9Ajn5mSA
duplicating unique weapons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9dnF3FYreQ

spoilers, durrr

Holy poo poo, that's brilliant abuse of how the battle system works. Amazing.

• Locked thread