Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

DaitoX posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

No seriously: gently caress OCZ. I would try the store if I were you.

And then buy a power supply from a more reputable company. Corsair, Seasonic or Antec (earthwatts in particular) manufacture much better PSUs than the poo poo OCZ sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I think OCZ is fine. They may even get their components for their PSUs from the same place as Corsair or Seasonic, etc.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Holy Cheese posted:

Not if it runs like the last one.

Luckily Volition is doing the port themselves this time, so I doubt it'll be a debacle like Saints Row 2 was.

Golashes posted:

Speaking of Bad Company 2, does singleplayer merit touching? Multiplayer is a good way to scratch that battlefield itch I've had for a while, but I remember trying the first one's singleplayer for about an hour and being unbelievably bored.

The characters are pretty entertaining and despite being a CoD clone, I found its campaign more enjoyable than Blops.

It's not the kind of thing you buy a game for, but for the Hollywood military FPS subgenre it's not bad at all.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 25, 2011

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dudebro posted:

I think OCZ is fine. They may even get their components for their PSUs from the same place as Corsair or Seasonic, etc.

While it's true that a lot of popular brands probably get their components from the same fabs, usually the ones that cost more have better quality control and offer better service.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Can someone tell me more about AC:Brotherhood and Anno 1404? They're both on sale at GetGames for cheap, and they both interest me but I know not enough about them to make a purchase. Any goons know about them enough to recommend/dissuade me from the purchase?

Also what's the cheapest/best wired gamepad I can get for my PC?

Brace fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 25, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Brace posted:

Can someone tell me more about AC:Brotherhood and Anno 1404? They're both on sale at GetGames for cheap, and they both interest me but I know not enough about them to make a purchase. Any goons know about them enough to recommend/dissuade me from the purchase?

Both are awesome/great/super cool games. Anno 1404 is like Civ but the focus is pretty much 100% resource management. It's really pretty, too.

If you like AC/2, Brotherhood is more of that. I don't have it on the PC though, so I couldn't say anything of DRM or PC specific.

Best gamepad is the XBox 360 controller. If there's a chance for a game to support a gamepad, that one will be the first.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Brace posted:

If you liked AC2, you will like Brotherhood. It's basically the same game with new and improved features and a better story (imo). The MP is fun, but the first 10 levels feel like a tutorial and it lacks dedicated servers, so lag/connection issues are to be expected.

Anno 1404 is probably the best city building RTS game released in the last few years. I highly recommend it if you enjoy the genre. But if you are going to get it, go for the gold edition, which contains both the game and the Venice expansion. I hear the DD version still uses tages though.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Both are awesome/great/super cool games. Anno 1404 is like Civ but the focus is pretty much 100% resource management. It's really pretty, too.

If you like AC/2, Brotherhood is more of that. I don't have it on the PC though, so I couldn't say anything of DRM or PC specific.

Best gamepad is the XBox 360 controller. If there's a chance for a game to support a gamepad, that one will be the first.

What about the Razer "Onza" gamepad? It looks a lot nicer then the regular wired one and it's 39.99, and I've had a lot of bad luck with Xbox 360 products.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Brace posted:

What about the Razer "Onza" gamepad? It looks a lot nicer then the regular wired one and it's 39.99, and I've had a lot of bad luck with Xbox 360 products.

The dpad on that is actually WORSE than the stock 360 pad, but if you don't plan on using that, the rest of the controller is really nice.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Aardvark Barber posted:

The dpad on that is actually WORSE than the stock 360 pad, but if you don't plan on using that, the rest of the controller is really nice.

D-pad isn't really pivotal in gaming, would you say it's a non-issue ? And how can a D-pad be worse or better? It's pretty much just one click and your done or maybe holding it to select a weapon but I can't remember the last time I had to use the D-Pad in any game I've ever played on my 360.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

D-pads are nice for fighting games, but not really important for anything else. Most games just end up using it for item/ability selection, where its quality wouldn't really come into play.

vv Oh yeah, forgot about MAME and emulators in general. vv

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 25, 2011

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Brace posted:

D-pad isn't really pivotal in gaming, would you say it's a non-issue ? And how can a D-pad be worse or better? It's pretty much just one click and your done or maybe holding it to select a weapon but I can't remember the last time I had to use the D-Pad in any game I've ever played on my 360.

Fighting games, MAME, pre-Nintendo64 emulators. D-Pad is pretty loving critical if you plan on playing any of the above.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

lynch_69 posted:

Fighting games, MAME, pre-Nintendo64 emulators. D-Pad is pretty loving critical if you plan on playing any of the above.

Why would someone use a Gamepad for pre-nintendo64 emulators(What would that include even?) and I have no idea what MAME is.

Don't play fighting games either.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any mousepad with a plastic or metal top? Are they any good?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lynch_69 posted:

Why on Earth would you use a dpad on MAME when you could use a stick or keyboard?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any mousepad with a plastic or metal top? Are they any good?

I have a Razer Destructor. I don't actually use it, as I prefer cloth, but it's pretty good. The only problem I had with it was its sharp edges, but it doesn't take long to get used to them and after a while they will wear out. It felt like it would last a lifetime, though.

In any case, I'm sure there's something cheaper and better around.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why on Earth would you use a dpad on MAME when you could use a stick or keyboard?

Using a gamepad is a million times better for emulators than the keyboard. Plus most old console and arcade games use digital joystick/gamepad inputs, something more suited to a D-Pad than an analog stick. Using analog sticks for games designed for digital inputs feels weird and doesn't control very well. I like to recreate the same control schemes I used to have with my Neo Geo CD, Genesis, SNES and NES consoles with a D-Pad - using an analog stick with those games feel weird and wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lynch_69 posted:

Using a gamepad is a million times better for emulators than the keyboard. Plus most old console and arcade games use digital joystick/gamepad inputs, something more suited to a D-Pad than an analog stick.

The kind of sticks I'm talking about aren't analog. :ssh:

I can see nostalgia as a good reason for dpad over keyboard, but I didn't grow up on pad so I'd rather have movement controlled by individual fingers instead of rolling my thumb around.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I just realized right now that there are entire generations of kids who haven't grown up playing a NES or even a SNES like me and I suddenly feel old and sad :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

lynch_69 posted:

Using a gamepad is a million times better for emulators than the keyboard.

This is objectively not true. The idea control scheme for digital directional inputs is four buttons, each with a dedicated finger. It's faster and more precise than anything else.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

K8.0 posted:

This is objectively not true. The idea control scheme for digital directional inputs is four buttons, each with a dedicated finger. It's faster and more precise than anything else.

Even for emulated 8 and 16 bit systems? Cause you know how much fun Super Mario World or Sonic 2 was with a keyboard instead of a controller...

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The kind of sticks I'm talking about aren't analog. :ssh:
Ironically enough, the Sanwa that I use for PC most often is wired to a 360 pad.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

lynch_69 posted:

I just realized right now that there are entire generations of kids who haven't grown up playing a NES or even a SNES like me and I suddenly feel old and sad :(

Me too man. Kids should be forced to play through the classics so they get an appreciation for the lovely state gaming is in today. And get off my lawn!!!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anno 1404 is the best city builder on the market if you aren't looking for combat in it.
It will eat hours of your life and the shortest scenario's still take up to 5h with the longest being over 40 easily.
Other then that there is endless mode, multiplayer, challenges.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417399 has more info.

AC2/AC:B are both very niceg ames, they run very well on the pc and almost feel native to it; AC2 has the better story and atmosphere in my eyes, but AC:B has better mechanics and a better fleshed out system of sidequests.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Zedd posted:

Anno 1404 is the best city builder on the market if you aren't looking for combat in it.
It will eat hours of your life and the shortest scenario's still take up to 5h with the longest being over 40 easily.
Other then that there is endless mode, multiplayer, challenges.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417399 has more info.

AC2/AC:B are both very niceg ames, they run very well on the pc and almost feel native to it; AC2 has the better story and atmosphere in my eyes, but AC:B has better mechanics and a better fleshed out system of sidequests.

How would they be distributed through those GetGames? I've never even heard of it, will they just give me a key or what?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rukus posted:

And then buy a power supply from a more reputable company. Corsair, Seasonic or Antec (earthwatts in particular) manufacture much better PSUs than the poo poo OCZ sells.

Actually OCZ just outright bought PC Power & Cooling, and they were decent PSUs. That might have declined to the level of OCZ's own parts over time, but generally OCZ PSUs are better than their typical output.
You still have to deal with lovely OCZ support and service though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Brace posted:

Anno 1404 is craaaaazy addictive.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Brace posted:

How would they be distributed through those GetGames? I've never even heard of it, will they just give me a key or what?
Since their website has huge letters on it stating fast download i looked in their FAQ and to me it looks like a download manager.

That seriously wasn't hard to find.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Liberatore posted:

D-pads are nice for fighting games, but not really important for anything else. Most games just end up using it for item/ability selection, where its quality wouldn't really come into play.

vv Oh yeah, forgot about MAME and emulators in general. vv

Platformers need a good d-pad, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Platformers need a good d-pad, too.

Why?

Seriously, I see this sentiment everywhere and I've yet to hear of any mechanical reason for it to be true.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why?

Seriously, I see this sentiment everywhere and I've yet to hear of any mechanical reason for it to be true.

When your inputs are digital (Either left or right, nothing in between) swinging from far right to far left introduces an unnecessary lag time that the game wasn't originally designed for and just feels imprecise

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When your inputs are digital (Either left or right, nothing in between) swinging from far right to far left introduces an unnecessary lag time that the game wasn't originally designed for and just feels imprecise

I mean relative to a keyboard. Obviously an analog stick isn't going to help on a game that only takes digital input.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Actually OCZ just outright bought PC Power & Cooling, and they were decent PSUs. That might have declined to the level of OCZ's own parts over time, but generally OCZ PSUs are better than their typical output.
You still have to deal with lovely OCZ support and service though.

I have an OCZ PSU because it was highly rated on newegg and it works perfectly fine for me. I haven't run into a single issue with it so far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean relative to a keyboard. Obviously an analog stick isn't going to help on a game that only takes digital input.

Oh for some reason I interpreted it as people using gamepads with crappy d-pads like the 360 ones and resorting to the analog :v:

Yeah I like keyboards for platformers. I guess people aren't used to having the movement on the right hand? Although you can swap it so WASD is movement and arrow keys jump and run and such.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
OCZ sells a bunch of lovely to mediocre power supplies with rebates you will never receive. In pretty much every price bracket there is a better choice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

OCZ sells a bunch of lovely to mediocre power supplies with rebates you will never receive. In pretty much every price bracket there is a better choice.

Nah, I got the OCZ ModXStream 600w and other than the stupid name, it's a perfectly acceptable PSU. The rebate came in a timely manner, too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

The thing with reviews of stuff on Newegg is that it's hard to pick out which products are actually poorly-made and which reviewers just got the 1/10,000 faulty products that come off any assembly line.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

lynch_69 posted:

Nuh-uh, man. Right there with you. :hfive:

Someone in the Retro Gaming thread mentioned the Bliss-Box and I want one in the worst way.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gamepads are nice because I can use them while I lean back in my chair, lie on the couch, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have an OCZ PSU because it was highly rated on newegg and it works perfectly fine for me. I haven't run into a single issue with it so far.

I never had anything from OCZ last longer than 2 years tbh. The final straw for me was when I had to exchange some ram 4 times in 10 months (2x started crapping out after a few months and 2x DOA) and then finally decided to just go with a different brand, which still works fine 5 years later.

I know my personal experience and what I hear from others is not definitive proof or anything like that, all I know is what I observed is that OCZ is poo poo and I actually have not had any hardware failure since I stopped buying OCZ products 5 years ago. In those 5 years ago they could also have improved, but seeing other peoples comments I do not see going back to OCZ being a smart move.

Of course if it works for you it is all good, personally I just have not faith in the brand.

• Locked thread