Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlueBayou posted:

Havent ridden my bike (07 250 ninja) since Monday (which shouldn't be an issue, im just mentioning it).

Took off for the gym today. Didn't make it down my block before the engine just died. started it back up with lots of choke in an attempt to get back home. Things seemed fine until once again the engine just died, this time mid-turn, causing me to low side (if you can even call it that at such a low speed). Walked the bike home and started it a few times in my driveway. Weird, weird idle issues.

What should I look at? Im going to wait a day or two... Ive found that sometimes my bike issues work themselves out if I just let the bike sit for a few days.

Sigh. I thought Ninjas were supposed to be easy.
Sounds like fuel flow. Checked obvious stuff like petcock being on the right setting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

KARMA! posted:

Forks have something called an 'air chamber' in them. It is critical to have this chamber the exact size that the manual calls for. The more oil in the fork, the smaller the chamber. Check the chamber when you've installed the new springs and add/remove oil so the air chamber is at the correct size. The manual probably specifies this in millimeters measured from the top.

No, you don't need to remove the forks but it is easy and makes replacing stuff easier.

Alright, thanks.

Looks like I'll be heading to the dealer to buy some fork oil tomorrow.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

So I take it your primary preference is a specific type of luggage rack?

Hehe, I had a ventura rack on my SV650 so it's a minor consideration.

However things didn't go to plan today. I went and had a look at the Monster and it looked even sexier in person and was awesome, right up until I sat on it and realised it was going to be too cramped for my liking.

So then I did a silly thing and test road this:

That's my driveway it's parked in. I think I'm in love.

The Ventura rack has been ordered :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ah, you went behind door #3... and saw that it was wonderful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NoDoorway posted:

I love when poo poo goes like that, my wallet does not lol. :v:

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

BlackMK4 posted:

I love when poo poo goes like that, my wallet does not lol. :v:

It's true. Although in this case it I got a fairly excellent deal.

Both dealers I visited today had white street triples, a 2009 with about 17000km on the clock and a 2010 with 1800km. So it was "OK dealer guys, you each get to offer me a deal plus one counter offer best deal wins."

They both really wanted the sale so I ended up getting the 2010 for not very much money (they gave me full retail trade in for my SV, discounted the sticker price and threw in some extras I wanted.)

Stoked.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

NoDoorway posted:

Don't you dare put an ugly rack on that beautiful bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoDoorway posted:

Hehe, I had a ventura rack on my SV650 so it's a minor consideration.

However things didn't go to plan today. I went and had a look at the Monster and it looked even sexier in person and was awesome, right up until I sat on it and realised it was going to be too cramped for my liking.

Good choice! That might actually be my next bike, too.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
^^Dooo eeet.

jdonz posted:

Don't you dare put an ugly rack on that beautiful bike.

As I don't have a car the bike has to be fairly luggage capable. I absolutely hate the look of giant plastic top boxes, and the Ventura bags are like a tardis.

Whilst I agree that it looks perfect just how it is, needs must in this case.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Sounds like fuel flow. Checked obvious stuff like petcock being on the right setting?

Yeah.

I waited a few hours and fired him up again.. no issues

I feel like this is all stemming from when I ran out of gas two weeks ago and had to run on the reserve tank fora few blocks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoDoorway posted:

^^Dooo eeet.

Haha, it's at least a year off and I need to clear one of the bikes out of my driveway first (the VFR). By then they may have angry eyes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh very well done NoDoorway! There are a lot of soft luggage alternatives unless you have some bags already.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
Got bags already, well bag. Ventura bags are ridiculously roomy.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

polystyrus posted:

Yeah, I went with -1. I have the Haynes manual (admittedly it only covers models up to '93), and I will excersise caution. Because sprockets coming off while moving sounds like a Very Bad Thing.

Update:
I've got the new chain and sprockets on (still haven't installed the tach cable, but it is in my possession). -1 seems to be the right choice. I think the bike has lost some horses over the years, and -1 on the front gives 5th gear something to do.

Front sprocket has a lock washer on it. Last person to change the sprocket put it on, but didn't use it for some reason. It is now in use. Back sprocket has some locking bits on it, too.

Would have been a hell of a lot easier if the bike still had a centre stand. Ended up manually leaning the bike against the side stand while my friend changed the sprocket on the rear wheel. I'm sure we could have rigged a stand of some kind, but meh, it worked.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Endless Mike posted:

Haha, it's at least a year off and I need to clear one of the bikes out of my driveway first (the VFR). By then they may have angry eyes.
If you get the angry-eyes, I'll trade you for my bug-eyes. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who likes the new look.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I like the new look better than the old!

My K5 SV650 came with a set of Vortex clip-ons installed on the GSXR-1000 forks. They're doing a number to my lower back. I looked up Vortex's website and they don't offer risers, unlike Woodcraft. Is there a way to get them to rise 2 or so inches outside replacing the clipon assembly altogether?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 25, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

I like the new look better than the old!

My K5 SV650 came with a set of Vortex clip-ons installed on the GSXR-1000 forks. They're doing a number to my lower back. I looked up Vortex's website and they don't offer risers, unlike Woodcraft. Is there a way to get them to rise 2 or so inches outside replacing the clipon assembly altogether?

Nope. Convertibars are the nice solution but expensive...stock gsxr clipons have some rise to them if you want a cheap option. Some other options are covered here:

http://www.gregoryli.com/2007/06/gsx-r-front-end-swap-parts.html

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Will WD-40 really damage the O-rings on my chain? If so, is there any reason to use kerosene when I have perfectly good gasoline already? Am I a fool who will destroy his chain by not using a ten dollar specialty cleaner?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I've never heard of WD-40 damaging O-rings outright, but the problem is it's not a lubricant. I use kerosene to clean my chain, diesel works too, I wouldn't use gas at all for it.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Loucks posted:

Will WD-40 really damage the O-rings on my chain? If so, is there any reason to use kerosene when I have perfectly good gasoline already? Am I a fool who will destroy his chain by not using a ten dollar specialty cleaner?

Don't do this. I was in your shoes exactly (reading how bad WD-40 is and used gasoline instead). Well I pretty much destroyed the chain on two bikes (one of which I still have to replace) because of the gasoline. Use WD-40 for cleaning, it's fine and awesome, then throw on some bel-ray chain wax for lube.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlueBayou posted:

Yeah.

I waited a few hours and fired him up again.. no issues

I feel like this is all stemming from when I ran out of gas two weeks ago and had to run on the reserve tank fora few blocks.
Ever seen the inside of your tank? Does it look dirty or rusty? Got filters in the fuel lines? Possible something is clogging up the fuel lines intermittently but not too likely I'd think.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

If I'm going -1/+2, do I have to get a chain with more/less links than stock?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My friend asked me to pick up his new-to-him '10 Ninja 250 which is 5 hours away. I'm used to riding my SV and I don't think 5 hours is pushing it but I've never been on a Ninjette before. Is this a good idea? Keep in mind I'll be riding shotgun on the way there (and probably sleeping).

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

internet inc posted:

My friend asked me to pick up his new-to-him '10 Ninja 250 which is 5 hours away. I'm used to riding my SV and I don't think 5 hours is pushing it but I've never been on a Ninjette before. Is this a good idea? Keep in mind I'll be riding shotgun on the way there (and probably sleeping).

My buddy rode an 03 ZZR250 from BC to California.. I'm sure you'll do fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Clank posted:

If I'm going -1/+2, do I have to get a chain with more/less links than stock?

It'd probably fit on the stock chain, https://www.gearingcommander.com though.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

It'd probably fit on the stock chain, https://www.gearingcommander.com though.

Oh cool, that's useful. It says it will fit, I'll just have to move my wheel forward a bit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gnaghi posted:

Don't do this. I was in your shoes exactly (reading how bad WD-40 is and used gasoline instead). Well I pretty much destroyed the chain on two bikes (one of which I still have to replace) because of the gasoline. Use WD-40 for cleaning, it's fine and awesome, then throw on some bel-ray chain wax for lube.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

There was another test I remember where the dude tested the breaking point of the o-rings after soaking them in various cleaners, he used a force gauge and measured how much force was needed to pull the rings apart.

The rings soaked in WD-40 were dramatically weaker than the rings soaked in kerosene, so I'd say you should use kerosene to clean your chain.

It's cheap and works the best, odor-free kerosene is the same thing as lamp oil and most barbecue starter fluids, it can be found everywhere.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did he happen to test diesel?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

There was another test I remember where the dude tested the breaking point of the o-rings after soaking them in various cleaners, he used a force gauge and measured how much force was needed to pull the rings apart.

The rings soaked in WD-40 were dramatically weaker than the rings soaked in kerosene, so I'd say you should use kerosene to clean your chain.

It's cheap and works the best, odor-free kerosene is the same thing as lamp oil and most barbecue starter fluids, it can be found everywhere.

Walmart typically has kerosene in their camping sections for cheap.

I find kerosene works great but a brush and rag only gets so much grime off. A propelled cleaner, aerosol or similar, helps clean poo poo out of the nooks and crannies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bondematt posted:

Did he happen to test diesel?

I can't remember, but most places I've read says to use kerosene or diesel, so I'd imagine you're ok using it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's part 2 with load testing. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310

While WD-40 lost some strength, kerosene did too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

Here's part 2 with load testing. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310

While WD-40 lost some strength, kerosene did too.

I was actually surprised at how strong o-rings are.

But it seems that the best option is actually just slathering the chain in chain lube and scrubbing to clean it. Kerosene and WD-40 are closer than I remembered, but there's still a significant difference.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Is there a good basic set of tools I should be looking at? I'll be in a position where I can start wrenching soon, so I'm going to do that.

The obvious bits:

Screwdriver set.
Metric wrench set (I have a Metric bike).
Metric socket set.

What else?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Backov posted:

Is there a good basic set of tools I should be looking at? I'll be in a position where I can start wrenching soon, so I'm going to do that.

The obvious bits:

Screwdriver set.
Metric wrench set (I have a Metric bike).
Metric socket set.

What else?

Torque wrench that fits your socket set. I think the highest torque you'll need on most bikes is 100nm/about 75lb-ft for the rear axle nut. But you can pretty much do that by feel, get one that's finer, they're much more accurate for the smaller more critical stuff. A shop manual for your bike should have all the values in it.

Set of allen keys. Hex keys for your socket set will do in a pinch, but it's a lot more bulky than using normal allen keys.

Impact screwdriver. Essential for getting out stuck bolts. Give 'em a blast of WD-40, let it soak and an impact screwdriver will get out even the most stubborn of screws.

Rubber mallet (for the impact screwdriver).

WD-40, threadlock and copper grease. Goes without saying, you'll be needing these more than you think.

If it's a Japanese bike, a set of JIS screwdrivers. Pozidriv will undo JIS screws in a pinch, Phillips will chew them up instead.

Vise grips or clamps for fixating things, pushing pistons back into brake calipers etc.

Needle-nosed pliers for removing and putting back locking rings and the like.

Buy cheap tools and get plenty of them, get the big sets of wrenches and screwdrivers and use the hell out of them. Whenever something breaks, replace it with a high-quality counterpart. That way, your most needed tools will be the highest quality, and you won't be wasting money on expensive tools that you'll never need.

Of course, for things that you know right away that you'll use a lot, get the good stuff to start with. Socket wrench, torque wrench etc., basically for all the tools where the work face itself is interchangeable, you'll want to get a good quality tool to attach said work faces to.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you can swing it, a good size workbench with a solid vise.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 26, 2011

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Sorry for the newbie question, but do I need to buy a specific motorcycle tire pressure gauge? I tried using the one from my car and a digital one but neither seemed to give the right tire pressure. They both gave me around 13 psi, which I would guess is drat near flat (which the tire isn't).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Senator Giroux posted:

Sorry for the newbie question, but do I need to buy a specific motorcycle tire pressure gauge? I tried using the one from my car and a digital one but neither seemed to give the right tire pressure. They both gave me around 13 psi, which I would guess is drat near flat (which the tire isn't).

You do not need a motorcycle specific gauge. Some fillers might be hard to get in place and give poor reading, but the hissing sound of leaking air should be enough warning in that case. 13 psi is still almost an atmosphere of overpressure, which would not make the tire flat. Have you tried filling it? If you do so with a compressor or at a gas station, you can check with a 2nd 3rd gauge. My bet is both you've tried are correct and you need more air!

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Apologies in advance for the rant.

So I bought a 1985 Interceptor 500 this spring, and I've been riding it since with a few problems here and there. Clutch was spongy, so I bled it and the brake lines while I was at it. Fuel valve was having issues so I replaced the petcock and some of the more ratty fuel lines. Battery was draining for no reason so I went through the electric lines, found a few frayed connections and spliced good lines in.

The most recent problem started when I was on the highway. After riding for a half hour or so, I was cruising at steady speed when it started slowing down, so I pulled off and when I put it in neutral it stuttered and died. That night it started a couple times but always died soon after. I'm almost certain it's a carb issue: it doesn't start half the time, with or without choke, and when it does it will idle for a couple minutes, then gradually lose RPMs until it dies, at which point it wont start again.

At this point I'm thinking of selling it as a parts bike because the prospect of pulling a notoriously difficult carb system out, cleaning 4 carbs that probably haven't been touched in 25 years, and then installing them again into a bike that so far has been nothing but problems sounds like a Sisyphean task. My question is, has anyone dealt with something like this before? Is it a quick fix that I can't think of, or is it futile to keep fixing this thing? And regarding selling it, does anyone in the Chicago area have an SV they're trying to get rid of or should I start hitting up dealers and craigslist?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bidikyoopi, if you leave it for a long time, does it start easily again? Does it run fine once started? Sounds like another case of the mysterious blocked tank vent. Let it run until it happens, then once it is stopped, open the tank cap. If it makes a big PSSST sound the problem is found. You'll need to set it on "prime" to fill the carbs up, should start easily.

As gas is consumed, air has to replace it. It probably comes in through a tube somewhere on the underside of the tank. Once the slightest vacuum forms in the tank, gas no longer flows into the carbs.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Ola posted:

You do not need a motorcycle specific gauge. Some fillers might be hard to get in place and give poor reading, but the hissing sound of leaking air should be enough warning in that case. 13 psi is still almost an atmosphere of overpressure, which would not make the tire flat. Have you tried filling it? If you do so with a compressor or at a gas station, you can check with a 2nd 3rd gauge. My bet is both you've tried are correct and you need more air!

I'll take it by a gas station tomorrow and see if I get different readings when I try to fill it up.

I should say that the reading is only with the front tire. It "seals" off so I don't hear any air escaping. On the rear, no matter how I try holding it/configuring the gauge, air is leaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I'll check tonight but I doubt it would be that easy. When it does start, it's only after 4-5 failed cranks. I thought it was a blocked fuel line again since one of the few times it started it was when the petcock was set to "reserve" but since then it has started (more frequently failed to start) when the petcock was on, off, and reserve. But I'll give the fuel filler lid thing a shot when I get home.

Edit: took off the cap, didn't hear a whoosh, but the bike started slightly better. Still died after a couple mins even on the choke. My guess is that tank vacuum played a part but wasn't the main issue.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 27, 2011