Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

exposition?????? youve gone too far this time movie director!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
exposition in movies is lazy and lovely 99% of the time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
any book incomprehensible without it's included appendix is unfilmable (ignoring the LOTR appendices detracts nothing from the story)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
they could do it like a mockumentary and just have talking head interviews w/ harkonnens

"no, no, i really had no clue about the false tooth. took me by surprise... took us all by surprise.."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the SciFi network did a six-hour miniseries version of Dune where they included much more of the exposition and background detail. it was excruciatingly dull to watch.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gently caress dune make a butlerian jihad movie

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the narration in the movie was atrocious

shot of the harkonnens on a shuttle approaching arrakeen, they're just sitting there staring at the screen not talking

"the baron harkonnen arrives on dune to check in on his nephew"

or some of the audio flashbacks repeat dialogue that was in the previous scene for gods sake

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

sorry kirk but that was a tv miniseries created by a basic cable channel. there is literally no way to make it better than that. sorry. im so sorry

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i was talking about the lynch movie you cum guzzling nitwit

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

well why dont you try a little harder next time

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

JawnV6 posted:

they could do it like a mockumentary and just have talking head interviews w/ harkonnens

"no, no, i really had no clue about the false tooth. took me by surprise... took us all by surprise.."

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

this would be so loving great

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Pram posted:

gently caress dune make a butlerian jihad movie

are you talking about the butlerian jihad implied by the books, the philosophical renaissance where mankind collectively decided they'd given up too much of their humanity to machines and rid themselves of computers

or the lovely literal man vs robot war in the prequels because nah

just nah

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
also the dvd version of the sci fi miniseries does have tits so, you know, pros and cons

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Lamont Cranston posted:

are you talking about the butlerian jihad implied by the books, the philosophical renaissance where mankind collectively decided they'd given up too much of their humanity to machines and rid themselves of computers

or the lovely literal man vs robot war in the prequels because nah

just nah

man vs robot war ftw

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i only plan on reading the herbert novels but man from what ive heard about the prequels and sequels by his son they are some straight up poo poo

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i listened to one of the prequels on a book on tape naratted by tim curry once. i think it was house atreides but i could be wrong

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I watched every episode of the Dune miniseries hoping it'd get good but instead I just wanted to die.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
the children of dune miniseries is far superior w/r/t budget, effects, acting, etc
though for some reason they have the same actor that played dr kynes in dune play korba
like, what, they couldn't find a different guy?

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
wee need more

pram
Jun 10, 2001

johndis posted:

whats the point of a future blimp???

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Pram posted:

whats the point of a future blimp???

The fact that it doesn't require any energy to stay buoyant?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Amethyst posted:

I love David Lynch and Dune but that movie was bad.

It was the third rewrite of the script in more than a decade and stuck in development hell for years.

a lot of stuff here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(film)

was taken from here, which now appears to be down
http://www.duneinfo.com/

Apparently they were running out of cash halfway through production, and it was rushed because of the success of Star Wars,
and there was hope of merchandising. :haw:
see also: the dune coloring and activity book
http://coilhouse.net/2011/03/franchised-goodies-for-the-children-of-dune/

FMguru posted:

the SciFi network did a six-hour miniseries version of Dune where they included much more of the exposition and background detail. it was excruciatingly dull to watch.
That's the Alan Smithee (as in disowned by Lynch) cut that starts with exposition and still pictures of the characters.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

HYMEN.SYS posted:

The fact that it doesn't require any energy to stay buoyant?

yes in future sci-fi utopia this is a good reason and makes perfect sense. in the 20th century blimps were stupid and slow, but in the 24th century theyre making a comeback ftw

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Coffee Jones posted:

That's the Alan Smithee (as in disowned by Lynch) cut that starts with exposition and still pictures of the characters.

no it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Herbert%27s_Dune

i love how they give william hurt giant top billing even though he dies 3/4 into the first episode
also they named one of the episodes "Maud'Dib"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
if you're interested in david lynch and dune you owe it to yourself to read this if you haven't already (pick up the whole book while you're at it)

http://www.thecityofabsurdity.com/papers/wallace.html

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Kirk, be warned that the sequels, even the Frank Herbert ones, are significantly worse than the original novel.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Amethyst posted:

Kirk, be warned that the sequels, even the Frank Herbert ones, are significantly worse than the original novel.

Whew, I was worried I was the only one who thought that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Whew, I was worried I was the only one who thought that

I thought Heretics of Dune was pretty good.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

johndis posted:

drat expositionists

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Apparently they were running out of cash halfway through production, and it was rushed because of the success of Star Wars,
and there was hope of merchandising. :haw:
see also: the dune coloring and activity book
http://coilhouse.net/2011/03/franchised-goodies-for-the-children-of-dune/

I remember seeing Dune toys in toy stores, they didn't sell very well.

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
has anyone else read never let me go? that was v good n subtle sci fi imo i liek it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qirex posted:

*big TRY ME sticker* press button to enact complex web of strategic alliances. batteries sold separately

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

johndis posted:

has anyone else read never let me go? that was v good n subtle sci fi imo i liek it

i haate watching movies with subtiles

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

thats the version i watched, i wonder if i should bother watching the lynch approved version

nah

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JawnV6 posted:

Jack Nance trying to explain the Baron's cat/rat drug delivery system...

"Hoo boy, earned my paycheck that day, I tells ya!"

qirex posted:

Still got a Baron H. action figure with 'waving angry arms' action... Wish I'd saved the pocket money for the sandworm toy, It was cool as all hell for an 11-year-old.

That said, an 11-year-old who hadn't read the books was somewhat nonplussed by the Baron pulling the heartplug in a sexy death fetish on the cinema screen, god knows what pops thought of the whole affair :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 27, 2011

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DOCTOR WHOOOOO-OO

HEY

DOCTOR WHO

DOCTOR WHOOOOO-OO

HEY

THE TARDIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk

axolotl farmer