Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Yesterday I was hiking through the forest when I found an odd-looking plant. It looked almost identical to asparagus except it was a deep reddish pink color, with yellow leaf-type things up the stalk, and a yellow tip. It was also really sticky with white fuzz all over it. There were three stalks sticking up out of the ground.

Anyone have any clue what it might be? Google hasn't given me any answers.

Japanese Knotweed is the foremost plant that comes to mind as being similar to asparagus when it's a young shoot (also edible). Its stem is pretty reddish too. But yellow leaves, white fuzz, and sticky don't ring any bells.
what region are you in?

P.S. If it was knotweed, kill it, break its legs! That stuff is mega invasive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Is this a coincidence (the text of the message + the ad at the bottom)? Its on the iPhone app.

Sorry for not answering your question at all Ana, I just found that sort of weird.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
My brother wants me to help him set up a simple portfolio site for his video editing work, but I'm not sure where to start. He does have a domain registered, at least. I'm sure there are plenty of templates and tutorials out there for this kind of thing, but which are considered the most useful?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the film Highlander, the immortals kill each other off so that the last one standing may win the Prize. The Prize turns out to be telepathy and mortality. Why would immortals compete to lose their immortality? What compelled them to fight for this Prize?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Benagain posted:

Does anyone know if there's a breakdown of how they got the data in this study somewhere? Specifically what questions they asked and so forth. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

I went through their website and I couldn't find any links to data or the codebooks for this or any of the other survey results. This is to be expected: a privately funded industry survey produces valuable data, they're not just going to give that away. Whether you trust the results or not is up to you: without the codebooks or actual survey questionnaire or procedure used, the reported results could be anything from accurate to worthless and you wouldn't have any way of telling the difference.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Baron Bifford posted:

In the film Highlander, the immortals kill each other off so that the last one standing may win the Prize. The Prize turns out to be telepathy and mortality. Why would immortals compete to lose their immortality? What compelled them to fight for this Prize?

It's nice to flirt with death once in a while, and who doesn't want to know exactly what certain people are thinking?

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, in Highlander 2,the whole thing is revealed to be a prison colony for some kind of rebellion and ohgodIcan'tcontinue

:negative:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

brylcreem posted:

Well, in Highlander 2,the whole thing is revealed to be a prison colony for some kind of rebellion and ohgodIcan'tcontinue

:negative:

Highlander 2? Never heard of it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, that never sat right with me either. "We fight to the death so that the winner gains the ability to be killed."

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that the Prize is whatever that particular Immortal wants most. I mean, imagine if the Kurgen got the mortality/telepathy Prize...

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

alnilam posted:

Say a mutual fund says "Initial investment: $500. Subsequent investment: $50." (This is on etrade, if it makes a difference)
I get that my first purchase has to be at least $500. But does the subsequent mean I have to put in $50 more every...year? Or what? And what happens if I don't?

And if I tell etrade to automatically keep gains within the mutual fund, and the fund makes $50 in a year, does that count as the $50? Or do I need to put in an external $50?

Unless there's some bizarre contractual requirement, that just means your next purchase (if you ever make one) must be at least $50.

Since mutual funds are a giant collection of individual investments, you don't generally purchase them in single shares but rather in fractions based on how much money you want to put in. In other words, no one says, "I want to buy three shares of XYZ Fund," they say, "I want to buy $300 worth of XYZ fund," and they get 42.1756 shares. They're just telling you that your minimum purchase into the fund to start is $500 and that each subsequent purchase must be at least $50. Don't call them up with the change you found in your couch cushion and try to buy $1.57 worth of the fund.

Automatic repurchases of the fund with dividend/interest earnings are usually exempt from these sorts of rules.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is this a coincidence (the text of the message + the ad at the bottom)? Its on the iPhone app.

Sorry for not answering your question at all Ana, I just found that sort of weird.

I'm sure it's because the word 'asparagus' is in the post.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure it's because the word 'asparagus' is in the post.
Are you really sure? I tank it's a coincidence, as I have seen that ad recently withut asparagus being anywhere in the thread I was viewing. Does SA really have context-ads like google ads for the bottom banners, which are goon ads?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

I went through their website and I couldn't find any links to data or the codebooks for this or any of the other survey results. This is to be expected: a privately funded industry survey produces valuable data, they're not just going to give that away. Whether you trust the results or not is up to you: without the codebooks or actual survey questionnaire or procedure used, the reported results could be anything from accurate to worthless and you wouldn't have any way of telling the difference.

Thanks! I'm not questioning the data, I'd just like to see further breakdown and some examples of data.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Parnassus Fund
What is better about vanguard? I'll consider switching. I'm really just doing a long-term IRA, though, so there will not be a ton of transactions.

I like them because they are client owned not-for-profit company. They also have fantastic customer service online and by phone. E-Trade, by comparison, has horrid customer support.

I did some reading, and that minimum subsequent investment is just that--if you want to add to your fund, you have to invest at least $50. You can do that as frequently as you choose. That wouldn't affect dividend reinvestments; that would get added to your account no matter what the amount. I would check with e-trade before buying too, there may be front-end or back-end loads that would apply (basically a commission you would pay upon buying or selling shares of the fund). FWIW, you can buy that fund through Vanguard as well without loads. Also I'd make sure that the IRA you have or are thinking of opening qualifies for the $500 minimum initial investment. It just says "a minimum of $500 per Fund for certain custodial accounts and IRAs" without describing what those are. The minimum is $2000 otherwise.

Can I ask why you decided on this fund? You said you wanted to invest in socially responsible companies, but I don't see anything in their prospectus saying that's what they're about. They seem to be more focused on getting a good deal on undervalued stocks than anything.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks for both answers about mutual funds. That makes a lot more sense. And when I have time, I'll look into switching to Vanguard, I like that they're client-owned.

stubblyhead posted:

Can I ask why you decided on this fund? You said you wanted to invest in socially responsible companies, but I don't see anything in their prospectus saying that's what they're about. They seem to be more focused on getting a good deal on undervalued stocks than anything.

It's one of several I'm looking at, and of them, it's the least obvious about its social goals (most others have something in their name about it). But if you dig in their general prospectus, they say their entire company philosophy is socially responsible investing, and they screen all companies for ethical practices, "good corporate governance," environmental responsibility, and do not invest in weapons/military contractors, tobacco, etc. Mostly the same bag as other socially responsible mutuals/ETFs. I think it's kind of strange they don't make a bigger deal out of it, but it says so in their prospectus, so... okay?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there any service like ProQuest that would carry 1960s-era articles from the Miami Herald? The Herald has a database on their site, but it only covers 1982-present and the 1910s-20s in the historical part.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there any service like ProQuest that would carry 1960s-era articles from the Miami Herald? The Herald has a database on their site, but it only covers 1982-present and the 1910s-20s in the historical part.

Try the library? If you live in or near a big city, particularly in the Southeast US, they may have back issued on microfilm or something. If not, they could probably help you get them. Local colleges might help too.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

Japanese Knotweed is the foremost plant that comes to mind as being similar to asparagus when it's a young shoot (also edible). Its stem is pretty reddish too. But yellow leaves, white fuzz, and sticky don't ring any bells.
what region are you in?

P.S. If it was knotweed, kill it, break its legs! That stuff is mega invasive.

I'm in Eastern BC. It looked similar to the Japanese knotweed shoots but MUCH more colorful, and yes very fuzzy and sticky. It looked like alien asparagus from another planet.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Maybe the fuzziness/stickiness was some kind of mold or infection, which could explain the leaves...

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there some kind of software that will let me control my Brother scanner? I want control of the exact dimensions it's scanning. It's a Brother MFC-240C if it matters.

I need to scan a bunch of pages to file and they're not 8.5x11

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Power of Pecota posted:

That means they likely aren't archived online. Try a library, especially from the Miami area. If it's really important, there's likely a paper or microfiche archive somewhere.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Maybe the fuzziness/stickiness was some kind of mold or infection, which could explain the leaves...

Well, they're not really leaves. Just little flaps similar to the flaps found on the stalks of regular asparagus. Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining.

Oops, sorry for breaking tables. How do I delete this attachment?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Xandu posted:

That means they likely aren't archived online. Try a library, especially from the Miami area. If it's really important, there's likely a paper or microfiche archive somewhere.

The Miami library thing would be helpful, but I'm living in Illinois at the moment, haha. I was hoping for some kind of online source, but I've found scans of some of the specific articles I was looking for on websites connected with what I'm looking into. Thanks for the answers, though!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, that never sat right with me either. "We fight to the death so that the winner gains the ability to be killed."

The only reasonable answer I can come up with is that the Prize is whatever that particular Immortal wants most. I mean, imagine if the Kurgen got the mortality/telepathy Prize...

In the movie, did Macleod express a desire to deepen his connection with humanity? If so, the Prize he gained makes sense. He can start a family of his own, and with telepathy the human soul is laid bare to him. Did he hate being immortal too?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why do small shirts often sell out completely before the larger sized ones? Do most companies just happen to stock less "smalls" than larges?

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

change my name posted:

Why do small shirts often sell out completely before the larger sized ones? Do most companies just happen to stock less "smalls" than larges?

Maybe more people wear smalls?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Not sure but this page has some ideas

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Since the last competition entry was well received, and the obvious searches (Tineye, dozens of GIS pages and most of the wikilist of fictional bunnies) didn't yield anything useful for this round, let's see if goon power can help again. So, does anyone recognize this character that apparently has been on television? Thanks in advance for anything that might nudge towards the solution, only twenty more people left to beat!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TremendousMajestic posted:

My brother wants me to help him set up a simple portfolio site for his video editing work, but I'm not sure where to start. He does have a domain registered, at least. I'm sure there are plenty of templates and tutorials out there for this kind of thing, but which are considered the most useful?

Get either a Wordpress.com account or some hosting with a self-hosted Wordpress blog.
Lithium Hosting is good and they have a cheap $10/yr plan if he is planning on hosting the videos offsite at Vimeo or someplace like that.

There's a metric ton of templates specifically for Wordpress portfolio sites.
These are paid themes, but you can find some similar ones for free as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 28, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's the endgame (or point) of economic growth? Increasing profits every year, etc. To what end is this mentality working towards in terms of the future of the human race? I'm watching this documentary on the tar sands (H2Oil) and I'm wondering what the point of this huge excavation is. Yeah, we get oil out of it and money as a result, but then what? I hear that a lot, economic growth this and that as if growth for the economy equals positive growth for every other aspect of life. I mean if you're a company that sells more widgets than any other company, it doesn't seem that important in the big picture of things.

Hmm, I didn't want to come off all pseudo-philosophical there, but it's those kinds of questions that always racks my mind. It all seems like a pointless game we're playing where no one can stop because there are too many participants now and way too much momentum.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 28, 2011

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Benagain posted:

Does anyone know if there's a breakdown of how they got the data in this study somewhere? Specifically what questions they asked and so forth. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2011.pdf

"Methodology" is the word you're looking for. After a few minutes of google-fu:

Game Studies Book Online Resources posted:

Entertainment Software Association (ESA) from the USA has published results from their annual market studies for several years, providing interesting claims and figures about the role of digital play in the American society. The key weakness in these reports is that they do not explicate their methodology, nor do they subject the studies to scientific evaluation and criticism. So: a word of caution while making use of these reports.

Basically, they're not telling how they came up with the numbers.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Dudebro posted:

What's the endgame (or point) of economic growth? Increasing profits every year, etc. To what end is this mentality working towards in terms of the future of the human race? I'm watching this documentary on the tar sands (H2Oil) and I'm wondering what the point of this huge excavation is. Yeah, we get oil out of it and money as a result, but then what? I hear that a lot, economic growth this and that as if growth for the economy equals positive growth for every other aspect of life. I mean if you're a company that sells more widgets than any other company, it doesn't seem that important in the big picture of things.

Hmm, I didn't want to come off all pseudo-philosophical there, but it's those kinds of questions that always racks my mind. It all seems like a pointless game we're playing where no one can stop because there are too many participants now and way too much momentum.

Growth in the economy = more and better jobs for the everyman = the ability for the everyman to provide for their family = familial happiness and growth (education, etc) and therefor contribution back in to the economy = economic growth

I think.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to remember the name of a jazz guitarist. He is or was a virtuoso, and could play lead, rhythm and bass lines simultaneously. It is definitely not Django Reinhardt. I'm pretty sure he is african-american.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009
Is there an add-on for firefox where news or facebook posts can scroll along the highest bar on the program. I made an illustration.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a jazz guitarist. He is or was a virtuoso, and could play lead, rhythm and bass lines simultaneously. It is definitely not Django Reinhardt. I'm pretty sure he is african-american.

Older or new? I was going to say Wes Montgomery, but you might be talking about someone who does something crazier.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dudebro posted:

There is no "end game" -- it's a "keep it going game." Growth is needed to keep the ever-increasing human population alive. Without growth, people would need to stop loving and making babies or just watch their kids (or someone's else's kids) die for lack of food/water/shelter/medicine and/or let the old people die to save resources. Or, more likely, someone strong would just start killing the weaker people who are using up the things that the increasingly-scarce and expensive oil is needed to produce.

Oil makes money for the extractors/producers, sure. Were that not so, no one would bother to get it (and certainly be less likely to try to be increasingly clever about getting it from harder-to-get places like shale and tar sands.)

But the oil also makes fertilizers that help grow food in places that couldn't otherwise grow (enough) food, which helps people not starve to death; it's used to make plastics and rubbers and fibers and fabrics that are used to help shield people from the elements so they don't die from exposure, and medicines and durable medical equipment that help the old, sick, or infirm live a bit longer and/or better; it's used to make detergents that improve sanitation and reduce disease; it's used to power desalinization plants, power plants, and transportation methods that bring fresh water, electricity, and food to people who would otherwise not have access to them (and would die sooner without them.)

Until we find a similarly ubiquitous and energy-dense substance to substitute for oil, it's pretty loving important. Unless you don't mind millions of people dying. Which some people are cool with because they see the use of oil as killing us all in the long run by pollution and/or global warming. Some people see it as: unless we cut back on oil bigtime right now (and therefore kill some smaller number of us off right now,) in the short run, and keep population down, or eliminate humans altogether. then we're all hosed in the end. So why wait for the big apocalypse when we can have a nice, small, controllable, concerted kill-off of a shitload of humans and make sure the Earth is livable for the lucky ones (or just the animals other than humans?) It's not a simple thing; it's a two-edged sword for sure.

Oil is also used for a lot of dumb poo poo like 12 oz. plastic water bottles in countries with plenty of safe tap-water to drink, and lovely plastic grocery bags and bumpers, fenders, and tires for giant Canyonero SUV's. But if we stopped mining for and using oil all of a sudden then millions of people would die fairly quickly.

That, or a combination of Logan's Run and Soylent Green :q:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

stubblyhead posted:

Stanley Jordan? Or Tuck Andress? - performs with his singing wife Patti (who's black)

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

aherdofpenguins posted:

4) After about 2 hours of sleep I wake up and sit in bed for hours and hours with my eyes wide open not able to go back to sleep. My mind is totally exhausted, my head generally hurts, but my body feels like I could run a marathon.

The gently caress?

Thanks for your advice! I guess next time I'll try to drink some water throughout the night and see how that goes.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Search http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_guitarists ...

The question is pretty vague, since playing chord melodies is pretty common in jazz guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dudebro posted:

This is neither a stupid nor a small question.
Other guy had some important points about feeding and caring for an ever-growing population, and let me echo what he mentioned about some people thinking it is utterly unsustainable and we're going to gently caress ourselves if we don't change what we value.
But I want to throw in that the level at which we strive for "growth" is pretty extreme, and at least in the developed(consumerist) world with its stagnant/waning population, based as much on "success = rich = buy TVs and cars" than on "we need to employ and feed everyone."

In a related note on discourse, it seems crazy to me how people don't talk about "this business is doing just fine, but not growing" (which would make sense to me), but rather "this business is doing poorly because it's not growing fast enough." Apart from the "What's with growth?" question, I want to ask: what's with this discourse? Is that kind of talk aimed towards investors, who indeed would be upset if the company weren't growing? Is there anything wrong with operating a business that is doing just fine?