Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

what is this posted:

look, I try not to be weird or creepy, but seriously this woman sets the tandard for incredible model level attractiveness

she was supposedly found naked and crying in a hallway of a NY hotel just recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez2XfvN8XSc

and also lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQZbgXnmKCI

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
man i always forgeta bout underwater sci fihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLtPLFECNw

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
7 of 9 more like 38 of DD

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

7 of 9 more like 38 of DD

reminder that because jeri ryan wouldnt suck her husband's dick in a sex club is why barack hussein obama is president right now

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
huh, i wasnt aware of that before now

oh jeri, banging you in private is all id need :allears:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
ugh, this thread is getting sticky. Time to bust out the transhumanism

Where we're going, we won't need sex.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

Where we're going, we won't need sex.

best argument against transhumanism/singularity/whatever

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

arioch posted:

best argument against transhumanism/singularity/whatever

enjoy your antiquated meatspace, proletarian luddite

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

johndis posted:

man i always forgeta bout underwater sci fihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNLtPLFECNw

heh, thought you were gonna post a seaQuest video

holy god all the seaquest videos on youtube are garbage quality

You Am I posted:

she was supposedly found naked and crying in a hallway of a NY hotel just recently.

:smith:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

enjoy your antiquated meatspace, proletarian luddite

I thought that was the point

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
^^I thought I had seen every episode of TNG but I def don't remember that

what is this posted:

look, I try not to be weird or creepy, but seriously this woman sets the tandard for incredible model level attractiveness

She's actually distracting when you watch Doctor Who, like you literally have to rewind sections to see what the hell happened/dialog because she shows up on screen and you're like "jesus, she's incredible" and then you realize you missed ten minutes of the show.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Karen Gillan is hot as hell and great in every way in Doctor Who but...

Billie Piper/Rose supremacy

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Charlie Brooker posted:

You can play the 'which part of Billie Piper's face is the biggest' game.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

You can play the 'which part of Billie Piper's face is the biggest' game.

I'll take Billie Piper's teeth for $1000 Alex.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I literally cannot watch a female on television without evaluating, ranking her body

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same but all females everywhere

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

axolotl farmer posted:

rose is basically just a smarter luann (from king of the hill)

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
Anyone in here read any philip k dick?

He seems a pretty good writer based on his short stories so I'm about to pick up Ubik. I kinda didnt want to read a scanner darkly or do androids dream of electric sheep because I've seen the movies and it seems a bad way to pick up an author by reading the ones that got made into movies. I mean I did read minority report but the short story is nothing like the crappy tom cruise flick.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

nominating Amethyst for carousel

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I have read several Philip K Dick books. they're usually a good read, but don't expect a linear story with a big boss fight at the end like the movies made from them.

if you like surreal sci-fi, go for it. and pick up some books by Alfred Bester and Robert Sheckley while you're at it.

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
dick is hella post modern yah, and ubik owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
blade runner is almost nothing like do androids dream of electric sheep, they cut a ton and changed even more

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
also still one of my favorite noevls of all time is riddley walker, which is just straight up so hard to read but gd is it good if you really take some time with it. it takes place like 3000 years after nuclear apocalypse n the language everyone speaks is like a super basic form of english. its hella cool tho cause everything they believe is sort of this mythology based on nuclear technology

here this part is basically that mythologt, one of my favorite chapters:
http://books.google.com/books?id=d6iDWK8cejoC&lpg=PA35&vq=eusa&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=false

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Roadside Picnic is pretty good and weird.

Some of the ideas became Stalker the film which is pretty good

And then that became Stalker the game series which is ok.

But the book is cool.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
Yeah I had an idea what he was like from the short stories. Dick's got a surreal quality to his writing that I do like.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

axolotl farmer posted:

I have read several Philip K Dick books. they're usually a good read, but don't expect a linear story with a big boss fight at the end like the movies made from them.

:laugh: boss fight

A Scanner Darkly, which for some reason I really like, is a condensed but largely faithful rendition of the novel, but that's about it for movie adaptations.

Amethyst posted:

The style and effects in logan's run are pretty inexcusable considering it was made 9 years after 2001: A Space Odyssey and a year before star wars.
Key words here being before Star Wars.

I don't think there were firms dedicated to special effects prior to ILM. If there were, they didn't have anywhere near the budget, much less an R&D division.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 28, 2011

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

amf5 posted:

That was the one with the "comedy" subplot about one group of aliens trying to eat another, and in the end it's implied they've killed one and are trying to cook it, and the Enterprise crew simply roll their eyes and act annoyed.

Coffee Jones posted:

Key words here being before Star Wars.

I don't think there were firms dedicated to special effects prior to ILM. If there were, they didn't have anywhere near the budget, much less an R&D division.
It's still just hard to believe that Logan's Run, with its silly sets and laughable models, came out just one year before Star Wars. It feels more like twenty.

One thing that was interesting about Logan's Run was that it takes place in the standard ordered society run by an evil computer, and the computer sends Logan to find the rebels planning to overthrow it, but when Logan eventually tells it that there are no rebels, it malfunctions. Because in these stories there are always rebels planning to overthrow the evil government, and the computer just couldn't accept that there weren't any.

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

Action Jacktion posted:

That was the one with the "comedy" subplot about one group of aliens trying to eat another, and in the end it's implied they've killed one and are trying to cook it, and the Enterprise crew simply roll their eyes and act annoyed.

It's still just hard to believe that Logan's Run, with its silly sets and laughable models, came out just one year before Star Wars. It feels more like twenty.

One thing that was interesting about Logan's Run was that it takes place in the standard ordered society run by an evil computer, and the computer sends Logan to find the rebels planning to overthrow it, but when Logan eventually tells it that there are no rebels, it malfunctions. Because in these stories there are always rebels planning to overthrow the evil government, and the computer just couldn't accept that there weren't.

Logan's Run: Paranoia, The Movie. Literally.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Action Jacktion posted:

it's probably like that scene in Mad Men where the guys are fretting about how a dude managed to get maimed by a riding lawn mower in an office building, and the executive blows it off with

"don't worry about it. somewhere in this business, this has happened before."

it's starfleet, this poo poo happens all the time. hell, it was still a smoother mission than Kirk's diplomatic cruise in Journey to Babel; in that episode, the captain got stabbed by a spy, the first officer had to go under for an experimental blood transfusion to save his dad, who himself was implicated in the murder of another ambassador, and the orions sent a riced-up warship to try and destroy the enterprise, and almost succeeded.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

axolotl farmer posted:

lol no

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

the most retarded plot device in tv sci-fi has got to be the human alien hybrid conspiracy. X-files, both iterations of V, Battlestar Galactica ehhh Alf

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Action Jacktion posted:

its a little contrived i guess but it's season 1 tng, poo poo was basically written as if it was TOS

plus the bit with the lizard people demanding to be upwind from the dog people was hilarious, patrick stewart looks horrified at first but gives them all a respectful nod as they file out of the transporter room

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so falling skies is pretty disapointing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they really should have made a TNG movie where the main antagonist was Q. john de lancie owns too much

'nemesis' my rear end

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Shaggar posted:

really?

i think it's pretty alright. i mean it's dumb as hell that the white supremacist convict is also a chef, but whatever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah but at least they're incredibly up-front about it being a hamfisted revolutionary war analogy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
falling skies has the right amount of cheese, plus it gives me serious flashbacks to the Tripods novels and I ate that poo poo up when I was a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

THC posted:

they really should have made a TNG movie where the main antagonist was Q. john de lancie owns too much

'nemesis' my rear end

i like to think that i had a gigantic brain tumor that formed around the time first contact came out, and it caused horrible star trek hallucinations about a woman captain and something about archers or something that mysteriously disappeared when the reboot movie premiered

• Locked thread