Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats probably one of the reasons bsg got so bad. there were alot of plots where they shoehorned in retarded poo poo that wouldnt actually be a problem given their level of technology. So they ended up with a bunch of shity plots that didnt belong in the universe because RDM is pretty bad if you give him full control of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

bsg got so bad

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
season 3 was terrible and season 4 was just boring. i think there were a few good eps maybe but most of them got reset.

also just try to go watch it from start to finish again, i couldnt b/c the characters suck so bad. when the plot took a nose dive there was nothing left to keep it afloat.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I stopped watching around the time when starbuck went through a whole stupid adventure to get a loving arrow.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Bradbury was mentioned 3 pages ago but there was no mention of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

It's written unlike any book I've ever read and it's loving brilliant.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

this is why we have no idea how the galactica's hyperdrive works

ron moore was sick of writers coming up with good story ideas and some nerd saying "that could never happen because [technobabble from two seasons ago]"

yeah but the writers have themselves to blame for that one because they would invent bullshit technobabble resolutions to those earlier episodes' problems in the first place

also that last example i gave is kind of the opposite problem you described. we saw star trek ships turning at warp speed before, no explanation given about how or why it works, then for some (voyager, poo poo) episode they decided to do some retcon technoexpository bullshit about how "nope you can't actually do that because of [tech]"

FMguru posted:

tng script drafts literally had sections that just said "[technobabble]" in them. there was a guy who'd fill it "phase-adaptive plasma channel" and "multi-mode inflection sort algorithm" later on.

i can only imagine that by voyager, the scripts were basically

"a [tech] thing happens

the crew uses [tech] to [tech] the [tech] and [tech]

seven and/or holodoc uses [tech] to explore humanity

the end ([tech])"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
has anyone else read a.e. van vogt's "The Voyage of the Space Beagle"

or john steakley's 'armor'

i liked them but it was so long ago i doubt my taste back then

axolotl farmer posted:

Ender's Game is terrible and Orson Scott Card is a hack

just going to throw that out there

im sorry, is there some other hitler apologia you'd recommend??

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

hitler apologia?

I just thought it was a huge heap of steaming elitism, repressed gay, worst Mary-Sue outside of fanfics and terrible terrible writing

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

axolotl farmer posted:

hitler apologia?

I just thought it was a huge heap of steaming elitism, repressed gay, worst Mary-Sue outside of fanfics and terrible terrible writing

hey, remember kuro5hin:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/5/28/22428/7034

e: holy crap, there are people still writing for that site.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

any story where smart people have magic powers because they are smart is really lame

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
he commits genocide on a misunderstood race then takes survivors to argentina and tries to bring them back

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I still like Book of the New Sun (Geene Woolfe) but I feel like I mention it every time one of these threads rolls around :ohdear:

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

axolotl farmer posted:

Ender's Game is terrible and Orson Scott Card is a hack

just going to throw that out there

Been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember. Read Speaker for the Dead and it's sequels more recently. I thought it was good, the sequels were not so good.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

coaxmetal posted:

Been a long time since I read it, so I don't remember. Read Speaker for the Dead and it's sequels more recently. I thought it was good, the sequels were not so good.

The sequels nose dive big time in quality. Seriously it stalled big time when Ender got to New Brazil.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

You Am I posted:

Transmetro was good at the start, but really started to peter out when he focused on taking down The Smiler/Smiley.

counterpoint: the smiler sequence also contained the chair leg of truth scene

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

axolotl farmer posted:

Kurt Vonnegut wrote rules for writing stories. this is the one that Asimov fails:

2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.

I like Asimov as a human being, and I enjoy his non-fiction, but they guy couldn't write characters at all.

Jehoshaphat!

also, gently caress kurt vonnegut, he's almost as bad as douglas adams when it comes to beating the same gimmick into the ground.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the caves of steel is the result of someone telling asimov that it was impossible to write a sci fi detective story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

JawnV6 posted:

has anyone else read a.e. van vogt's "The Voyage of the Space Beagle"

the whole skylark of space series is great and i highly recommend it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

also a.e. van vogt apparently invented the glazed donut so its got that goin for it too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

poo poo no, wait im thinkin of e. e. smith

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

poo poo no, wait im thinkin of e. e. smith

i apologize for any inconvenience this regrettable error may have caused

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Stringent posted:

Jehoshaphat!

also, gently caress kurt vonnegut, he's almost as bad as douglas adams when it comes to beating the same gimmick into the ground.

those are fighting words :toughguy:

what's the gimmick, and which Vonnegut books have you read?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

kurt vonnegut isnt a scifi author tho

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

has anyone actually read lensman? It's the kind of series you hear about all the time as incredibly influential but I've never actually seen a copy.

johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
i saw the anime

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I think sci-fi is more of a state of mind than a set of topics. Vonnegut wrote several stories that are more sci-fi than Slaughterhouse 5.

Galapagos, Cat's Cradle, Sirens of Titan and even Slapstick are definitely science fiction.

Galapagos is actually the only novel that really gets evolutionary biology.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Amethyst posted:

has anyone actually read lensman? It's the kind of series you hear about all the time as incredibly influential but I've never actually seen a copy.

its not as good as the skylark series imho but its good.

i mean, it's scifi from the 20s and 30s, it's not exactly fine literature, but they're pageturners and they dont abuse your better nature.

i think lensmen should be available at gutenberg.org?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah here u go

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/22629/22629.txt

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

cool, thanks

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mr_jim posted:

its me, im manly wade wellman

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Asimov magazine is still published. Wonder if it's any good.

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

its me, im manly wade wellman

i'm the blue guy that got his extra pith helmet knocked off by a crème brûlée torch.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
i read Speaker for the Dead a few weeks ago ebcause i remember one of you nerds saying it was the only good ender's game sequel

it wasn't :argh:

it was lovely just like

• you're posting
  • your taste
  • your opinion...

gently caress yoooouuu

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Amethyst posted:

cool, thanks

np but dont read that, read this instead

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20869/20869-h/20869-h.htm

Perhaps it is a bit unethical and unusual for editors to voice their opinion of their own wares, but when such a story as "The Skylark of Space" comes along, we just feel as if we must shout from the housetops that this is the greatest interplanetarian and space flying story that has appeared this year. Indeed, it probably will rank as one of the great space flying stories for many years to come. The story is chock full, not only of excellent science, but woven through it there is also that very rare element, love and romance. This element in an interplanetarian story is often apt to be foolish, but it does not seem so in this particular story.

We know so little about intra-atomic forces, that this story, improbable as it will appear in spots, will read commonplace years hence, when we have atomic engines, and when we have solved the riddle of the atom.

You will follow the hair-raising explorations and strange ventures into far-away worlds with bated breath, and you will be fascinated, as we were, with the strangeness of it all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

np but dont read that, read this instead

quote:

He was aroused from his stunned inaction by the entrance of his colored laboratory helper, and silently motioned him to clean up the wreckage.

"What's happened, Doctah?" asked the dusky assistant.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

z0ratio fartboner posted:

i read Speaker for the Dead a few weeks ago ebcause i remember one of you nerds saying it was the only good ender's game sequel

it wasn't :argh:

it was lovely just like

• you're posting
  • your taste
  • your opinion...

gently caress yoooouuu

Sure as gently caress wasn't me, I slogged through 2 of the sequels and said gently caress this

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

FMguru posted:

What?
                      /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its reeeeeaaaall!!!

• Locked thread