Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Also the voice to speech screen keeps popping up when I hold it sideways, does anyone know why?

Are you possibly thumbing the search button while holding it that way? Holding it down for a second goes right to voice recognition search.

Trying to protect the phone a little more, I just tried trimming an extra Invisible Shield I had laying around to fit the rear camera lens cover, spent like 15 minutes cutting it just right, and it turns all pictures into a wonderful vaseline-coated mess. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
There are certain pre-installed apps on the EVO 3D that are not installed from the Android Market (e.g.: Flash, Google Search, etc.). My questions are:
1) What happens if I decide to install the Market version - will it show up as a separate app or will it replace the existing one?
2) What if I leave the current app and an update becomes available on the market? Will it upgrade my app or will it ignore my phone?

I really can't wait for an unlocked bootloader.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

1) What happens if I decide to install the Market version - will it show up as a separate app or will it replace the existing one?

Just tested it, and it overwrites the old one.

The only root app I want is Titanium Backup,

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Turns out I didn't have to travel down to the Sprint store to check out the EVO 3D, they had one in my Radioshack across the street. As soon as I held it in my hand, I knew it must be mine. Now the new concern: How fast can I get this thing and can I get EPRP rates w/o buying it online? I was only passing by so I didn't have time to ask the sales reps anything. Can I transfer my number from AT&T, buy the EPRP rate online, then pick up the phone in the store? I'm somehow thinking this isn't really possible but I am an impatient man who gets off work in 2 hours and would love to have a new phone before I'm home.

Can't buy from Radioshack. Sprint Corporate only. Follow the links in the OP, setup everything, and just order online. A day or two wait is worth it to get it setup correctly. Remember to use one of the Sprint Goon referrals that are listed in the OP, it makes them look good as well.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

One odd thing I've noticed: the max volume on the 3d is much, much lower than what my rant was able to push.

Also only 2 bars in my house :dealwithit:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Duckman2008 posted:

Can't buy from Radioshack. Sprint Corporate only. Follow the links in the OP, setup everything, and just order online. A day or two wait is worth it to get it setup correctly. Remember to use one of the Sprint Goon referrals that are listed in the OP, it makes them look good as well.
Thanks. Ordering now!

Of note, the one in the Store... is it a real model? It wasn't on, had a fake screen, the buttons didn't actually move, and the camera in the back actually detached from the unit. Pretty sure it's a fake but that'd be pretty awesome if the camera was actually detachable like that.

Edit: Crap, I need to make sure I'm getting the right thing here. Does the Everything Plus™ Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime plan have messaging on it? It doesn't actually state anywhere how much messaging costs, just that there are 500 minutes of calling and unlimited data... the OP doesn't even have "messaging" as a part of the unlimited data plan. Is messaging just counted as data?

VVV Thank you very much! Does the fake phone have the same weight as the real one?

Edit2: Trigger pulled, my phone is on its way. Now to wait until July 5th since Holiday weekend will most likely screw my shipping over! :woop:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 30, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Thanks. Ordering now!

Of note, the one in the Store... is it a real model? It wasn't on, had a fake screen, the buttons didn't actually move, and the camera in the back actually detached from the unit. Pretty sure it's a fake but that'd be pretty awesome if the camera was actually detachable like that.

Edit: Crap, I need to make sure I'm getting the right thing here. Does the Everything Plus™ Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime plan have messaging on it? It doesn't actually state anywhere how much messaging costs, just that there are 500 minutes of calling and unlimited data... the OP doesn't even have "messaging" as a part of the unlimited data plan. Is messaging just counted as data?

Messaging is always unlimited with the data plan. Sorry, I will fix that wording soon. You are getting the right plan.

Also, that 3D was a fake.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

change my name posted:

Just got my 3d and I'm actually posting from it now. First thoughts: the screen is beautiful, and everything just seems so intuitive, even if that's more of an android thing. The keyboards are great, even the portrait one. I definitely like the dedicated button that hides the keyboard. Everything seems super smooth and fast, and the 3d is cool even if I have to hold the phone at arms length straight out for it to work.

Dislikes? I keep rubbing the camera pod no matter how I'm trying to hold the phone. Also the wobbling when you lay it down is gonna drive me loving bonkers. Also the voice to speech screen keeps popping up when I hold it sideways, does anyone know why?

You're hitting the little Q button when you shift from portrait to landscape, I'd guess. What do you mean by "dedicated button that hides the keyboard"?

You shouldn't have to hold the phone far away to make it work, unless you have like, fish eyes or something.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There's a button on the keyboard that drops it, which I thought was a nice touch since I don't think apple does it.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Hoping this is the right thread for this.

So I've been happily running a custom ROM for a while now on my Sprint Evo 4G but in the past few months, the touchscreen has developed an incredibly irritating bug where the top right corner is overly touch-sensitive, registering a nonexistent touch over and over and over again. This of course means calling people I don't want to call, turning on stuff in the tray that I don't want to turn on, removing widgets I don't want to remove, etc etc. The worst side effect is toggling the Refresh button on the browser once every second so pages just spin through a loading cycle without ever completing.

Toggling power on/off fixes the issue for maybe five seconds, sometimes ten, sometimes an hour. Some other days the issue is completely gone. Needless to say, frustrating. It was recommended that I flash a different ROM, and I tried several without effect.

I have the $7/mo insurance plan and I want to return the phone and almost certainly get a new one, as I doubt this is a fixable issue. I've successfully unrooted and flashed back to stock, and I wanna take this phone in for inspection today or tomorrow to get the ball rolling on a replacement.

Are they gonna be suspicious that there's n o t h i n g on the phone, as far as apps or contacts or even email accounts, etc? The OS and screens look like the phone literally just came out of the box, except the hardware is clearly a year old. I know that if they dig around on the SD card, they'll find my nandroid backup, and some other stuff. Should I care? Am I overly paranoid? I really like my phone and don't want my warranty voided.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 30, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
You're hitting the little Q button when you shift from portrait to landscape

He's definitely long-pressing the magnifying glass, that pulls up voice search.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

rivetz posted:

So I've been happily running a custom ROM for a while now on my Sprint Evo 4G but in the past few months, the touchscreen has developed an incredibly irritating bug where the top right corner is overly touch-sensitive, registering a nonexistent touch over and over and over again. This of course means calling people I don't want to call, turning on stuff in the tray that I don't want to turn on, removing widgets I don't want to remove, etc etc. The worst side effect is toggling the Refresh button on the browser once every second so pages just spin through a loading cycle without ever completing.

Toggling power on/off fixes the issue for maybe five seconds, sometimes ten, sometimes an hour. Some other days the issue is completely gone. Needless to say, frustrating. It was recommended that I flash a different ROM, and I tried several without effect.

edit: or tell them you wiped it for privacy reasons.

I have the $7/mo insurance plan and I want to return the phone and almost certainly get a new one, as I doubt this is a fixable issue. I've successfully unrooted and flashed back to stock, and I wanna take this phone in for inspection today or tomorrow to get the ball rolling on a replacement.

Are they gonna be suspicious that there's n o t h i n g on the phone, as far as apps or contacts or even email accounts, etc? The OS and screens look like the phone literally just came out of the box, except the hardware is clearly a year old. I know that if they dig around on the SD card, they'll find my nandroid backup, and some other stuff. Should I care? Am I overly paranoid? I really like my phone and don't want my warranty voided.

Take your SD card out and take it in and if they ask why it's wiped, tell them you thought it would fix the problem but it didn't so you brought it to them. They can't deny you service because they suspect you were rooted. Besides, last I heard, they don't turn down people for rooting.

edit: or tell them you wiped it for privacy reasons.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man

rivetz posted:

TEP stuff

Don't worry about it. Every time I took in my Palm Pre (3 or 4 times) I would do a hard reset (webosdoctor) to put everything back to factory defaults. Its just part of the troubleshooting process and they wouldn't think otherwise. Honestly, they will probably do it again because if its anything like my store they assume all problems are software related. But to be fair, I am sure a lot of issues people come in with are software related.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

rivetz posted:

Are they gonna be suspicious that there's n o t h i n g on the phone, as far as apps or contacts or even email accounts, etc?
Why? It would be the same thing if you did a "Factory data reset" on the Settings menu. Which not only would be a reasonable thing to try to see if it resolves the issue, but is something I would always do before turning a phone in for service/replacement as I wouldn't want my Google poo poo on it anymore.

rivetz posted:

I know that if they dig around on the SD card, they'll find my nandroid backup, and some other stuff.
Why would you give them an SD card with any of your stuff on it? Mount it on your computer and run SDelete.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

superm0nk posted:

I'm leaving the country in a few months, but I'm one of those crotchety old men that held on to his SERO plan. Is it worth anything to anyone, and if so, how would I go about transferring it to someone? Would they have to take my number as well?
I'd absolutely purchase this from you. I don't have PMs here, so if you'd like to sell, drop me an email at my username @gmail.com.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

More impressions: whoever thought it was a good idea to throw the sd card slot functionally under the battery must've been retarded. Why even include the option of unmounting the memory card if you absolutely have to shut it off to swap? Also the bottom buttons must be really sensitive, because just hovering over the Q/thumb on the corner still seems to trigger the voice to text thing. Besides that, I love this phone. It's crazy how it can run pretty much anything I throw at it perfectly, including n64 games (considering my tablet can't).

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If it was possible to remove the sdcard without powering off the phone, then it would be very easy to ruin it. SDcards use a lazy writing system in most implementations, and can have data cached for writing for some amount of time. Also apps can be using the card actively - many apps store data on the sdcard, or are sourcing media from the card, whether or not they are installed there.

I can't think of many reasons to actually remove the card anyway, given the massive number of connectivity options. Bluetooth file transfer, dropbox, USB drive (the phone is usable, unlike the Pre, when in USB mode), file sharing, FTP, stuff like Bump, email, DLNA...

Also, I heard some complaints about the camera button sticking out too much on the EVO 3D. Mine sticks out a nearly imperceptible amount further than the 2D/3D switch. I have 002 hardware, maybe they changed something. If not, then I don't see the problem.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rivetz posted:

They are not going to care, currently it doesn't even matter of its rooted or not. Go to the store and swap it out. Assuming no water damage it sounds like warranty, so no deductable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

He's definitely long-pressing the magnifying glass, that pulls up voice search.

Yep, the touch sensor is incredibly sensitive on this phone. Maybe a case can help by virtue of giving extra girth to the phone which would help keep hand flesh from pressing around the edge of the phone and hitting the button.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

The Entire Universe posted:

Yep, the touch sensor is incredibly sensitive on this phone. Maybe a case can help by virtue of giving extra girth to the phone which would help keep hand flesh from pressing around the edge of the phone and hitting the button.

I do this so often. It's so annoying. Anyone have any good case recommendation on the budget side?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

change my name posted:

It's crazy how it can run pretty much anything I throw at it perfectly, including n64 games (considering my tablet can't).
This makes me extremely happy that I waited for dual-core phones before jumping off pre-paid. My order is on hold for unknown reasons (probably because they can't access my previous number for transfer) but God I can't wait to have the 3D in my hands. :)

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do you even control an N64 game?

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

rivetz posted:

I had the exact same problem with my fiance's Evo Shift. I brought it into the store and they put a new screen on it in 15 minutes. It cost me $35 because I didn't have insurance on that line but would have been free if I had TEP.

Before you get it fixed though, download an MS Paint type program and leave it running just to see what your phone will draw for you.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Generic Android chat to the Android threads please.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/27/googles-first-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-be-manufactured-by-samsung-possibly-dubbed-nexus-prime/

Good news it looks like the new Nexus (Nexus Prime) will be launched on multi carriers at the same time. So Sprint may get it at launch.

Bad news it is not the HTC we saw leaked a month go (Samsung is doing it).

Still looks like a pretty good phone spec wise (a 720p -resolution Super AMOLED HD display + 1.5Ghz dual core). Samsung by all accounts has done a great job with the SGS2, and I hope that continues to the Nexus Prime. If so I might be all over this.

Sprint deserves a launch Nexus, and I think they will get one this time (it seems like so will everyone else).

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
The Nexus rumors keep changing weekly so I wouldn't believe anything until it's official or at least closer to release. I really hope it's not Samsung.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I've had my EVO 3D since Saturday and I just noticed what look like two specs of dust under the screen. They're not scratches and no amount of wiping gets rid of them. They look like they're under the glass. Now that I've seen them, I can't unsee them. I wonder if Sprint would replace the phone with a new one for this, or if it's even worth it to try.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheBlackMallard posted:

The Nexus rumors keep changing weekly so I wouldn't believe anything until it's official or at least closer to release. I really hope it's not Samsung.

As a HTC fan I agree, but I don't think there is a better phone than the SGS2 out right now. I am just happy all the rumors so far point to a multi-carrier launch. That is the main news I care about in relation to the Nexus. I want Sprint to get it at launch.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Crud, the data connection on my Epic crapped out. I'm getting:

My phone posted:

Error 67: Registration failure. Your Sprint data serivce username and/or password may be incorrect. Please try again.
It just started happening after working this morning with no changes on my part. I tried an "Update Profile" and a reboot for good measure, but no dice.

Anyone else seeing this? Is it likely a system/cell issue that I have to wait out, or did my account get hosed up somehow? I'm traveling today and while 3G data isn't critical, if it's not going to be fixed without my dialing up a CSR I suppose I should do it before I head out.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Crud, the data connection on my Epic crapped out. I'm getting:

It just started happening after working this morning with no changes on my part. I tried an "Update Profile" and a reboot for good measure, but no dice.

Anyone else seeing this? Is it likely a system/cell issue that I have to wait out, or did my account get hosed up somehow? I'm traveling today and while 3G data isn't critical, if it's not going to be fixed without my dialing up a CSR I suppose I should do it before I head out.

I just started getting this too. EVO 3D in the Philly area.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I got my 3Deez yesterday (coming from a Palm Pre), and I'm a little confused about the speech-to-text feature. It popped up and asked if it could record/store my voice so that it could learn my speech patterns better...but as far as I can see, there's no way for the phone to know when it's gotten something right or wrong. How does it learn if it doesn't know when it got things right?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I just started getting this too. EVO 3D in the Philly area.
Okie dokie. I'm in Pittsburgh at the moment, so maybe there's something hosed aorund the state. I suppose we'll see whether a change of venue fixes it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Any suggestions concerning cases for the EVO 3D? I actually really like the rubber it already has on the back and just want something to prevent scratching and shattering on the front. I was going to just try some stuff from Radioshack but since Amazon has some really great prices, I figured I could buy something now if it had a good recommendation from here.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Duckman2008 posted:

This, definitely something to consider. I know you (rodshaft) are you tring to save the $10 a month, I guess the only other phones I can think of are the Arrive and XPRT Look at both of them.

But I love the extra screen space/resolution when surfing the internet and similar things. Is the 3D worth the extra $220 it'll cost me over the first year? Do we have some real numbers on battery life yet?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Evo3D root (not yet) news:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561&pagenumber=122#post393148077

Stop applying updates for now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RodShaft posted:

But I love the extra screen space/resolution when surfing the internet and similar things. Is the 3D worth the extra $220 it'll cost me over the first year? Do we have some real numbers on battery life yet?

Battery life on the 3D seems fine. Honestly, if you like the Echo, keep it, just something to consider. The 3D is a better phone, but for you there is a 2 year cost difference to consider, so its your call.

Hey everyone, "Silver Premier Overrides" (aka sorry we took away your 1 year upgrade, here is one last upgrade) are extended for July. So that if you got a phone last July and are Silver Premier, you can upgrade. Nice.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

900ftjesus posted:

Evo3D root (not yet) news:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561&pagenumber=122#post393148077

Stop applying updates for now.

I thought avoiding the OTA went without saying when hoping for root. I've been following the thread on XDA and am cautiously optimistic they might have something ready fairly soon. While I want an unlocked bootloader and custom ROMs, it's root that I'm missing the most.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey everyone, "Silver Premier Overrides" (aka sorry we took away your 1 year upgrade, here is one last upgrade) are extended for July. So that if you got a phone last July and are Silver Premier, you can upgrade. Nice.

Has there been any info about what happens if you don't use the override? I went through the process to get an override and it is reflected in my account, but after playing with my wife's EVO 3D, I'm not really convinced it is worth $200 over my EVO 4G. Is this a "use it or lose it" situation or can I hold off until something happens to my 4G or something comes out that convinces me to switch?

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.
I literally just watched a piece of dust get stuck under the screen of my EVO 3D when I was wiping it off. It wasn't there, then a moment later it was. This is in addition to 3-4 other specs I just noticed today. My main concern it that this will just get worse with time (considering it's only been a week) - I think I may go into the Sprint store this weekend and exchange it. Has anyone done any exchanging for dust issues and did they give you any trouble, or won't they care since it's within the 30 days?

Edit: Make that a lot more than 3-4. It's like every time I really look at the screen I'm noticing more and more specs along the edge of the screen.

Generic Superhero fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I thought avoiding the OTA went without saying when hoping for root. I've been following the thread on XDA and am cautiously optimistic they might have something ready fairly soon. While I want an unlocked bootloader and custom ROMs, it's root that I'm missing the most.

XDA is useless, follow @shinzul because

:siren: Evo 3D rooted :siren:

quote:

#evo3d rooted #teamwin twitpic.com/5j7a03

He's now working on S-OFF.