Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I have heard through various message boards while attempting to troubleshoot my issues today that soon Shaw will be moving to a Cisco router/gateway, is there any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yep, probably sometime this month. I don't know if they've released any info on what model it will be, but several Shaw reps have confirmed a switch to Cisco equipment.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm sitting here at Cityplace tethered through my Blackberry because Telus' office is closed for Canada Day. My account info was never sent to me and regular Telus tech support think I'm a witch because I'm trying to reach the internet without a modem.

If I don't get this setup in the next 24hrs I'm cancelling. No speed is worth business-hour tech support.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I dont know if its because everyone is out and being drunk, but my teksavvy speeds have gone all insane today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367069765.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367070965.png

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

I dont know if its because everyone is out and being drunk, but my teksavvy speeds have gone all insane today.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367069765.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1367070965.png

It's you happy Canada Day gift I suppose.

Mine is we got switched over, don't have our modem yet, but I managed to get our old as poo poo SpeedStream 6520 to work with TS's network.

I may have lost 2 Mbps down, but hey, 90% of the time Bell throttled it to 1-2 anyway, the consistency TS has already shown in the few hours I've been using it is incredible.

random nickname
Oct 10, 2005

Part of a healthy and well-balanced diet.

Shumagorath posted:

I'm sitting here at Cityplace tethered through my Blackberry because Telus' office is closed for Canada Day. My account info was never sent to me and regular Telus tech support think I'm a witch because I'm trying to reach the internet without a modem.

If I don't get this setup in the next 24hrs I'm cancelling. No speed is worth business-hour tech support.

Tell regular tech support to get someone from Solutions on the line, they're the guys who handle Cityplace. Technically you do have a modem, but it's in a place where you wouldn't be expected to trouble shoot or anything. Did they have trouble bringing you up in the system? Usually they bring everyone up by phone number or address, so having someone from Toronto throws a lot of front line off.

It's surprising front line didn't pawn you off to them right away anyways, they love doing that. Tech support is open 24/7, even Solutions agents, though the bulk of them go home by 12am to 1am (MST).

I miss working the holidays, 3x pay was so gratifying to see on a paycheck.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks for the tip! I managed to raise someone today who said they saw and obvious problem on provisioning, but if I need to contact someone later I'll give Solutions a try.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 2, 2011

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Despite my usual forte with fixing computers programming and such, I am stumped on how to set up the two remaining email addresses for my TekSavvy account, as we're told we get three but only have 1 so far. None of the pages or forums I've googled have anything on it, and teksavvy's help pages and customer portal only give me the option to add more as though I've already hit the limit of 3.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I'm seriously considering changing to Teksavvy, what would the best and least painful process be in switching from Rogers to Teksavvy cable?

Also, what would I need to do about a modem? My modem is in my basement right now, its rented off of rogers, and it's connected directly to two computers, and then we have 3 laptops that are usually a floor up from the basement or up in the 2nd(third) floor. What should I do when I switch? Whats the best recommendation?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Brace posted:

So I'm seriously considering changing to Teksavvy, what would the best and least painful process be in switching from Rogers to Teksavvy cable?
Phone and cancel your Rogers internet and make it at least a few weeks out. Phone TekSavvy, tell them you're switching to them from Rogers, and get them to activate your account on the exact same day as your cancellation. They will tell Rogers that the account is being transferred to them so it's a switch on the same line on their end. They won't even need to send a contractor out, which is usually where the problems start.

You can buy a modem off them (and get $20 off your activation fee) or buy your own as long as it's on the list of cable modems they can provision. They're currently using the DCM425 and DCM475. The DCM475 is newer and supports DOCSIS 3.0 which means it has a better chance of being future proof, but technically you'll be fine with either of them.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

kuddles posted:

Phone and cancel your Rogers internet and make it at least a few weeks out. Phone TekSavvy, tell them you're switching to them from Rogers, and get them to activate your account on the exact same day as your cancellation.

What do you mean by make it atleast a few weeks out? And when you say active the same day as cancellation, same day as I call to get cancelled or my internet actually gets cancelled?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Novus just recovered from a 7 hour city wide outage :ohdear:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Brace posted:

What do you mean by make it atleast a few weeks out? And when you say active the same day as cancellation, same day as I call to get cancelled or my internet actually gets cancelled?
Yes, you want the day of your activation at TekSavvy to be the same day as cancelling at Rogers.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kuddles posted:

Yes, you want the day of your activation at TekSavvy to be the same day as cancelling at Rogers.

Is it possible to activate TekSavvy before cancelling Rogers (let's say...give them a week or so)?

I would rather pay extra money for a week or so for a service that i dont use than to risk being without internet for who knows how long (1 day is way too long).

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

rhag posted:

Is it possible to activate TekSavvy before cancelling Rogers (let's say...give them a week or so)?

I would rather pay extra money for a week or so for a service that i dont use than to risk being without internet for who knows how long (1 day is way too long).

Yes. Just order it on Teksavvy's website with activation date like a week before the cancellation date for Rogers.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

So we switched our TekSavvy DSL to cable. The install was completed today. We're poor, so we can only afford the 10/0.5 connection. Did anybody else get that, or did you all go for unlimited 15/1? I seem to be the only one who posted a speedtest result from that package.

Now, what is everybody doing with their old equipment? Any chance somebody on SAMart, or, failing that, eBay would want a DSL modem? I also have a couple old routers too.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
15/1 here, though I work from home, anything less would be sad.

I'd kill for some of those new shaw plans coming down, but totally wrong area.

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

zergstain posted:

Now, what is everybody doing with their old equipment? Any chance somebody on SAMart, or, failing that, eBay would want a DSL modem? I also have a couple old routers too.

Barring ebay or samart you'll definitely find a buyer if you live in a city with an active clasifieds market (craigslist or kijiji). I bought (and later sold) my ST516 via local deals. There is also the BST subforum on redflagdeals but chances are you'll get lowballed there ;)

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

rhag posted:

You can do that, but I strongly, strongly would advise you not to because that is precisely the type of thing that causes the problems leading to people being without internet for a week.

Seriously, I left for work in the morning with Rogers still connected and came home and switched the modem and everything was working fine. It wasn't that big of a deal.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

kuddles posted:

You can do that, but I strongly, strongly would advise you not to because that is precisely the type of thing that causes the problems leading to people being without internet for a week.

Seriously, I left for work in the morning with Rogers still connected and came home and switched the modem and everything was working fine. It wasn't that big of a deal.

What kind of problems? Are there technical reasons why this cannot be done? I know now thing about internet-via-cable technology, so that's why i ask.
Now, if everyone is saying "don't do that", i wont even if i dont get a satisfactory answer, but i would love to know.
Thank you.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm not sure about the inner workings but Teksavvy claimed that my Shaw internet would stop working at some point on the connection day and then I should switch over to my new Teksavvy modem. Around 11PM on the day rolled around and the Shaw connection was still working so I decided to hook up the Teksavvy modem and see what would happen. Surprisingly it worked no problem and I assume the Shaw one would have worked as well if I had switched back. When I called Shaw to cancel they told me that they wouldn't cancel my internet service until I came in to their office and dropped off my modem which I didn't do for about a week or something.

Maybe I was an odd case because I still have Shaw for cable or something but it seems like you should be able to get Teksavvy set up and then cancel Shaw at that point. The danger I guess is that if you cancel with Shaw I've heard of them sending a tech to the junction box and disconnecting everything to your place which would shut off Teksavvy as well.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

rhag posted:

What kind of problems? Are there technical reasons why this cannot be done? I know now thing about internet-via-cable technology, so that's why i ask.
Now, if everyone is saying "don't do that", i wont even if i dont get a satisfactory answer, but i would love to know.
Thank you.
There is no technical reason why you can't do that. However, a lot of people who are recommending this don't realize that's why it's causing all the problems you have heard. Once you get the cancellation from Rogers/Shaw, then all TekSavvy has to do is get Rogers to match the two accounts based on your address, provision your modem on the same line already going to your house and mark it as a transfer.

However, the second you have two cable internet lines running to your house at the same time, that means there are two technicians who must come to your place (one to connect you to the TekSavvy line, one to disconnect the Rogers one) and it results in a myriad of miscommunications that could lead to you being disconnected for a week while TekSavvy and Rogers play phone tag with each other and another appointment with a tech to solve the issue is made.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Holy gently caress, Novus just doubled all their data limits and reduced the prices of their top end packages down to cheaper than Shaw's ones. See rows 7-10 of my spreadsheet for the new Novus prices:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CKDvt6oB&hl=en_US&key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&hl=en_US&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

Source: http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

They also increased all the speeds.

edit: Turns out they included a message in our invoice emails which of course nobody reads. http://www.novusnow.ca/pdfs/NovusInternetLetter.pdf

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 5, 2011

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Space Cadet posted:

I have heard through various message boards while attempting to troubleshoot my issues today that soon Shaw will be moving to a Cisco router/gateway, is there any truth to that?

Yeah, should be 'fairly?' soon. I can't give a timeframe because I don't have one, but it'll be soon. We're hugely short on SMCs and nobody likes those anyway, so I'd expect it to be in the wild pretty quickly. The model number isn't public, but, seriously, the list of docsis 3 cable modem + routers that cisco provides is a really short one. Really short.

Also, the Motorola doscis 3 modems are, officially speaking, out. They may still end up in homes here and there due to swaps or returns, but as a rule, it'll be the SMC. (for now).

As an aside, I would straight up recommend, without hesitation, that anyone here if you've got an SMC, get it bridged and use your own router. If you're cheap, grab a wrt54g and put dd-wrt on it or something. You won't get 100 megs, but it'd be worth it. If you're having trouble with reps getting it bridged, PM me and I'll do it.

Edit: I'm Shaw Staff. Not an official Rep, not an official statement. Yadda yadda.

Drakkus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 6, 2011

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

kuddles posted:

However, the second you have two cable internet lines running to your house at the same time, that means there are two technicians who must come to your place (one to connect you to the TekSavvy line, one to disconnect the Rogers one) and it results in a myriad of miscommunications that could lead to you being disconnected for a week while TekSavvy and Rogers play phone tag with each other and another appointment with a tech to solve the issue is made.

If we're talking cable (Which I assume we are), it's all the same line. TekSavvy wouldn't be using separate lines, they would be using the existing lines (and in all likelyhood, the existing cmts / channels) that are being used by the incumbent's customers. Lone Rogue can probably confirm / deny this, but I know for a fact TPIA over cable is a lot different than TPIA over phone, and that the customers of the incumbent and the competitor are decidedly less segregated.

(PS don't take this as a value judgement on the services that competitive TPIA providers provide over cable networks. Merely a technical discussion.)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vehementi posted:

Holy gently caress, Novus just doubled all their data limits and reduced the prices of their top end packages down to cheaper than Shaw's ones. See rows 7-10 of my spreadsheet for the new Novus prices:

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CKDvt6oB&hl=en_US&key=td-Y0JFhwUTnlPiLwoiTX_g&hl=en_US&authkey=CKDvt6oB#gid=0

Source: http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

They also increased all the speeds.

edit: Turns out they included a message in our invoice emails which of course nobody reads. http://www.novusnow.ca/pdfs/NovusInternetLetter.pdf

I was wondering why I was downloading at 3MB/s the other day.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Drakkus posted:

Yeah, should be 'fairly?' soon. I can't give a timeframe because I don't have one, but it'll be soon. We're hugely short on SMCs and nobody likes those anyway, so I'd expect it to be in the wild pretty quickly. The model number isn't public, but, seriously, the list of docsis 3 cable modem + routers that cisco provides is a really short one. Really short.

Also, the Motorola doscis 3 modems are, officially speaking, out. They may still end up in homes here and there due to swaps or returns, but as a rule, it'll be the SMC. (for now).

As an aside, I would straight up recommend, without hesitation, that anyone here if you've got an SMC, get it bridged and use your own router. If you're cheap, grab a wrt54g and put dd-wrt on it or something. You won't get 100 megs, but it'd be worth it. If you're having trouble with reps getting it bridged, PM me and I'll do it.

Edit: I'm Shaw Staff. Not an official Rep, not an official statement. Yadda yadda.

Are the moto modems not good or something? is there a reason they are not using them anymore?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Decent Shaw mailer today,

$15/mo for 6 months - Extreme Internet (25Mbps down)
$15/mo for 6 months - Digital Basic TV with HDPVR + Basic HD channels
$15/mo for 6 months - Home Phone Basic
Promo 920

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I signed a lease to rent a room in someone's house starting in August. He has a bundle through Rogers, and he's going to check to make sure but he thinks he has the Lite package. The bandwidth cap is 15 gb on that, and he said he and the one other guy living there use about half of that altogether. He said he'd look into upgrading the package if necessary (and I'm more than willing to pay the difference) but the Rogers website seems to suggest that a different modem is necessary when going from Lite to Express - the hardware it says for Lite is $100 or $4/month, but $200 or $7/month for Express. He already has everything working through wireless, so I'm not sure if he has the cheaper modem with a separate router, or the modem/router combo thing, or what. Is there a possibility he would actually need a new modem to switch?

Alternatively, since the land line in the house is completely unused, would it be possible for me to use that for a dry loop DSL connection from Teksavvy without disrupting the Rogers services? I'd probably need to use my own router for that as well, and I have no idea how much two routers in a small house would interfere with one another (although as I typed that I realized that apartment buildings are probably the same thing but worse, and I don't remember having a problem).

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
As long as teksavvy services your area it shouldn't be too much trouble to get your own dryloop dsl which wont affect their rogers internet at all as it's coming through 2 different wires. you will need your own dsl modem and wireless router of course but simply set your routers wifi to operate on a different channel then the current router and interference shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on being a heavy user it's probably best you go with an unlimited teksavvy plan anyway to avoid billing disputes with your roommates

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I already have my own modem and router from when I had an account with Teksavvy last year, so I'm set as far as that's concerned. I had the 200 gb plan and a roommate at the time and we still didn't manage to go over, so I should be fine with the same package again, especially since it's 300 gb now. I'm mostly just concerned that it would somehow disrupt the Rogers services, although if that should be alright (technician screwups excepted) that sounds like my best plan.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
There is no reason for teksavvy/bell to touch any of the cable companies equipment so they should have zero problems with their cable as a result of your dsl

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You can dual and triple provision a premise with cable as well. If he has Rogers cable and you want to get Teksavvy/Cable for yourself, you can.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Stanley Pain posted:

You can dual and triple provision a premise with cable as well. If he has Rogers cable and you want to get Teksavvy/Cable for yourself, you can.
That sounds even more like it is inviting potential setup blunders. On the other hand, I just checked and Teksavvy cable is available there and only $28/$37 for the two lower packages compared to the $41 it would cost for dry-loop. The $37/month cable package is also twice as fast, at least down. I'll have to talk to the landlord about all this, of course, but I'm definitely interested.

Ah, looks like I would have to get a new modem for the cable as well. Still looks good though.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Sprawl posted:

Are the moto modems not good or something? is there a reason they are not using them anymore?

The technical issues that I know of with the SB6120s were fairly minor, so it wasn't for technical reasons. I honestly can't say why they are no longer being used.

Drakkus fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 7, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Drakkus posted:

The technical issues that I know of with the SB6120s were fairly minor, so it wasn't for technical reasons. I honestly can't say why they are no longer being used.
It entirely has to do with supply. (TekSavvy no longer offers them either.) Motorola stopped making the SB6120 ages ago, and planned on replacing it with the SB6121 immediately. For various reasons, production of the SB6121 was delayed for months and then they seem to have had other issues ever since because they've been incapable of keeping up with demand.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

kuddles posted:

It entirely has to do with supply. (TekSavvy no longer offers them either.) Motorola stopped making the SB6120 ages ago, and planned on replacing it with the SB6121 immediately. For various reasons, production of the SB6121 was delayed for months and then they seem to have had other issues ever since because they've been incapable of keeping up with demand.

Well those are the only modems available here in bc when i ordered so its why i ask. I'm supposed to have one of those shipped here.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Called up rogers to cancel, they offered a free modem for a year, 20% off my bill, and a higher data cap. No thanks rogers, :byewhore:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How much higher of a cap, just out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Brace posted:

Called up rogers to cancel, they offered a free modem for a year, 20% off my bill, and a higher data cap. No thanks rogers, :byewhore:

I would honestly stay with them if they'll offer the same packages as shaw does at the moment. I like the speed, i totally hate heir caps (very low) and their malfunctioning throttler (which they insist on keeping).