Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
My girlfriends father works at Filton for Airbus and orchestrates the entire 'wing repair package' when something goes awry. (How, what, when, design repair, assemble team, logistics, 3 2 1 Go.. all in 8 hours)

I was there when he got the phone call about that, sat over lunch on his day off. The incident last year where the blades punched a hole through with wing, again, he got sent photos to his phone whilst at lunch with us. (He went white as sheet and had to go outside).

I think I might have trouble marrying his daughter. I must be bad luck.

blambert fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
code:
               RAAAARR!!! FEED ME A320S!!!! AND THIS FERRARI!!!!!
                          \

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Pardon the 'fail' caption, but here's a good shot of that airbus mishap from when the wing was still embedded in the building:

I know I'm a bad person for laughing at this, but I can't help but think of some poor bastard working away in his office when the wingtip of a massive aeroplane comes crashing through the wall.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Boomerjinks posted:

There's a unit stationed at Wright Pat (I think) that used to fly P-51s during the war, but has since transitioned to C-130 transports. Not to let this get them down, they repainted their engines to look like the noses of P-51s.
click here for fuuuuuuuuuck

And that is awesome.

It is 164th Airlift Squadron, 179th Airlift Wing, Ohio Air National Guard, out of Mansfield, Ohio.

Heritage2 by RReiheld, on Flickr

They have since, or are currently transferring out of C-130's into C-27's.

Nother Herc pic:

HercArch by RReiheld, on Flickr

Here is some other heritage flight stuff

DSC_0367 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Here is something a little unusual. A Topping model of McDonnel's entry for the VFX competition that resulted in the F-14 Tomcat.

McdonnelVFX by RReiheld, on Flickr

And an F-100 picture I took some while back but may not have posted 10 times already

f-100 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 24, 2011

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Slo-Tek posted:

And an F-100 picture I took some while back but may not have posted 10 times already

Empty trunk. Seems a crime not to have someone else enjoying the ride.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Slo-Tek posted:

It is 164th Airlift Squadron, 179th Airlift Wing, Ohio Air National Guard, out of Mansfield, Ohio.

That is the exact picture I was looking for that shows exactly what is cool about that exact paint job. :hfive:

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Slo-Tek posted:

Fantastic shots, man!

I love the F-100 photo, those aircraft are awesome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slo-Tek posted:

What are you taking these with? Jesus, that's great.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Phanatic posted:

What are you taking these with? Jesus, that's great.

8 year old Nikon D70 and a 20 year old 70-300 lens. Set it for Auto-focus-Continuous, shutter priority at 1/160 or so for props, and auto-everything for jets and push the button when it looks right. If you take 600 pictures in an afternoon, 3 or 4 are likely to turn out pretty cool.

There is a hell of a lot more that people are serious about it do in post processing. Nothing I do stands up to acceptable for airliners.net or anything along those lines.

Looks good enough to post at 800x600 on a forum though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Just got approved for the photo pit at the airshow in Tullahoma, TN on the 1st, hooray!

Taken off FC, there's been a couple changes since then I'm sure but still a good reference for what will be there:

quote:

Performers
4x F-16C "Fighting Falcon" Flyover/ flypasts
Joe Shetterly RV-8 Aerobatic Demo
Greg Shetterly DR-107 Aerobatic Demo
2x T-45C "Goshawk" Flypasts / CoNA Presentation
P-51D "Moonbeam McSwine" Aerobatic Demo
A-10C West Coast Tactical Demo
A-10C/ P-51D Heritage Flight

"Confirmed" Static Displays
1x CoNA T-6B "Texan II"
2x CoNA T-34C "Turbo Mentor"
1x T-45C "Goshawk" (possibly CoNA; likely sqdn boss-bird)
1x CoNA TH-57C "Sea Ranger"
1x AH-1W (possibly HMLA-773 "CoNA" scheme)
1x OH-58D "Kiowa Warrior"
1x MF L-39C "Albatross"
1x MF OH-58A+ "Kiowa"
1x Vans RV-7A

Static Displays still on request...
F/A-18C "Hornet"
AV-8B "Harrier"

Pretty decent list. Excited to see all the CoNA stuff. It's apparently going to be a backlit show which makes things tougher but I'm sure it'll be workable.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

A couple of shots taken last summer here in Calgary:

The Heritage flight Lancaster (one of two flying in the world):

Time Moves On by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Note the CF-18 at the FBO:

Generations by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Crappy lighting on a flyby the next day:

Lancaster Flyby by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Vintage Wings of Canada CL-13 Sabre:

Golden Bird by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Rolling out on 28 by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Golden Hawk F-86 Sabre by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

FG-1D Corsair "Gray Ghost" pulling up to the Westjet hangars:

Warbird Beauty by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Gull Wing Glory by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

The RAF boys stop by some summers to do training with their troops southeast of Calgary:

In position by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

drat. by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Raw Power by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Bugsmasher posted:

The RAF boys stop by some summers to do training with their troops southeast of Calgary:

In position by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

drat. by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

Raw Power by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

I am guessing the carbon marks on the tails are caused by the thrust reversers?

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I believe so, they have the clam-shell type design.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

I used to love flying on the Canadian Airlines or Westjet 737-200's and getting a seat right behind the engines to watch the clam-shell reversers on those birds. So awesome.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When playing Digital Integration's Tornado I would often forget my landing gear, but when I remembered it I would always set both engines on fire due to leaving the reversers on for too long.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slo-Tek posted:

8 year old Nikon D70 and a 20 year old 70-300 lens. Set it for Auto-focus-Continuous, shutter priority at 1/160 or so for props, and auto-everything for jets and push the button when it looks right. If you take 600 pictures in an afternoon, 3 or 4 are likely to turn out pretty cool.

There is a hell of a lot more that people are serious about it do in post processing. Nothing I do stands up to acceptable for airliners.net or anything along those lines.

Looks good enough to post at 800x600 on a forum though.

Seriously, they're great, I'm not sure how you get that sharpness out of that lens, but nice job.

Same camera, same lens:

Just Pretending by Phanatic, on Flickr

B-17 by Phanatic, on Flickr

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Bugsmasher posted:

A couple of shots taken last summer here in Calgary:

Vintage Wings of Canada CL-13 Sabre:

Golden Bird by BigtimeAa, on Flickr

I saw this in Saskatoon one day about a week ago or so, was wondering what it was. Looked cool, but it was quite a long ways away. Would it be in transit to an airshow maybe?

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Timmy Cruise posted:

I saw this in Saskatoon one day about a week ago or so, was wondering what it was. Looked cool, but it was quite a long ways away. Would it be in transit to an airshow maybe?

Most likely, it has been making the airshow circuit in Canada and the US the last couple of years.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Just Pretending by Phanatic, on Flickr

What jumped out to me is that you're shooting with an aperture of f/22, which actually can reduce image quality quite a bit by introducing diffraction. It's a bit tough to deal with in aviation photography since sometimes to get rotor/prop blur you have to close the aperture to avoid overexposing everything while using the lowest shutter speed. If possible on really sunny days, make sure your ISO is on the lowest (base) setting it'll go on and you won't have to close the aperture so much. I shoot with a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 and it reaches peak sharpness at f/5.6 which still lets in a LOT of light. It holds its sharpness until around f/9 and then diffraction starts to kick in from there.

quote:

B-17 by Phanatic, on Flickr

This looks like a couple of things, higher ISO robs details very fast. I'm not too familiar with the D70, as I came into Nikonland with their D80 but I'd rarely ever go over ISO 400 with that if I could manage, as the shadow detail would deteriorate very fast above that. You might also have managed to take a shot as the lens was still hunting for a lock, I swear sometimes my lens knows when I'm about to press the shutter button and will jump around making the plane slightly blurry at just the wrong time. Ugh. :)

Still good shots though, I love that HH-53 one. Great composition.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 25, 2011

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gentlemen, exciting news if you like Airship type-things:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12110386

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

The weather and the children weren't very cooperative for photography today, but the marines did an amphibious landing at the Gateway Arch today, and it was pretty cool

seaknight by RReiheld, on Flickr

Osprey by RReiheld, on Flickr

Second year in a row I've been in the wrong place at the wrong time, and wasn't able to take a picture of a Harrier hovering above the Mississippi boiling the river with jetwash. Next year though...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Crosspost from TFR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aydbBl6_W0

Scratch 1 harrier

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

Crosspost from TFR

Scratch 1 harrier

The emergency response time is impressive. He impacts the ground at 0:18. At 2:18 there is water coming into the frame from one of the fire trucks.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Spent an hour at MIA this afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyclJnpGjQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyclJnpGjQg

A380 poo poo starts two minutes in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

slidebite posted:

Crosspost from TFR

Scratch 1 harrier

Holy poo poo. That jet hit HARD. I wonder what he was dealing with.

Somebody get that man a tie.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

slidebite posted:

Crosspost from TFR

Scratch 1 harrier

Cross post reply from TFR...

IIRC the aircraft suffered a loss of engine power on final (not complete engine failure, because you can hear the engine spin up as he tries to compensate), and being hot, high, and heavy, compounded by the fact that Hawker Siddeley/BAE forgot to include a wing when designing the Harrier, there wasn't much the pilot could do. Nice to see the explosive filler in those Paveways really is insensitive.

For what happens when you're dealing with fire and non-insensitive munitions, see the Forrestal fire.

Less than 90 seconds from the initial flames to the first explosion; the first group of firefighters never had a chance. Sailors to the End is a very good book about the disaster and the efforts of the sailors on board to fight the fire. They came very very close to losing the vessel.

This reminds me, awhile back I promised a post on explosive mishaps and explosives safety...maybe I'll work on that tonight.

Zero-zero ejection seats are pretty awesome though. It seems pretty mundane I guess since we're used to it, but the fact that you can punch out of an aircraft scraping down the runway and suffer only minor injuries is pretty mind blowing when you consider where the technology was only 3-4 decades ago.

Here's a story with an interview from the pilot...

quote:

The Harrier scraped along the runway at 80mph on collision course with the civilian plane, which had eight people on board.

He stayed in his cockpit until the last possible moment before ejecting on his rocket-fired seat as the Harrier burst into flames which were later extinguished. He rose 300ft into the air before his parachute opened and suffered a back injury in the incident last Wednesday.

The pilot’s bravery meant the Harrier missed the other aircraft by 30ft before he ejected.

The pilot, who did not want to be named but is thought to be from No 1 (Fighter) Squadron based at RAF Cottesmore in Rutland, said: “I tried to control the aircraft after the undercarriage collapsed, but when I saw the fireball I knew it was time to eject.

Pretty big ones on that guy.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

Spent an hour at MIA this afternoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyclJnpGjQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyclJnpGjQg

A380 poo poo starts two minutes in.

Too bad the flying forehead landed when they changed runways. How did you get to that spot? I'm hoping to take a drive down Tuesday.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mobius1B7R posted:

Too bad the flying forehead landed when they changed runways. How did you get to that spot? I'm hoping to take a drive down Tuesday.
There was a big thunderstorm rollin' in from the southwest, and wind changed from a sea breeze to from the southwest (hence the A380 having to crab).

It's a pretty rad spot, there were about thirty people there.
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=n8...t%2C%20FL&q=mia

Let me know if you're in the area on Tuesday.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

And no, that's not two sides of the same plane- those are two different Pokemon 747s.

grover fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 26, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't bring any hate to bear on a Pokemon painted plane because I think all planes need to be painted up.

White is just so boring

(also - why does Firefox have "Pokemon" in its dictionary?)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

slidebite posted:

Crosspost from TFR

Scratch 1 harrier

I'm impressed with how long he stuck with it before ejecting. drat, that had to be a wild ride.

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003
Visited a small, local airshow here in Norway last weekend.

The big thrill for me was getting to take a ride in a old DC-3 from 1943. It actually was a part of the invasion of Normandie and dropped english paratroopers over France.
It later became a civilian airline-plane and was in regular routes until 1980s. It was then sold to a private organization that now owns it.

Sitting in that airplane and imagining the fear and excitement the soldiers must have felt was awesome.

That polished look must be hard to keep looking good..

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, well done getting a ride in that! Must do it myself some day.

Znyp posted:

I asked one of the members about it at an airshow on Flesland a few years back. He said it was a massive amount of work and they couldn't easily use electric polishers due to the rivets not being flush.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Very airshowy around here at the moment.

Check this out http://celebratestlouis.org/fair-saint-louis/air-show/

Corsair/F-18 Heritage flight, B-2 flyover, V-22 Osprey, Civilian Owned Harrier hovering over the river, all kinds of good stuff.

Gateway Park really is a pretty cool venue to watch an airshow from. Anybody want to come out and say hey?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Znyp posted:

I hope they use power tools on that. The two years I spent repainting small planes taught me two things. The first is that the satisfaction you get after hand polishing something is hard to beat when you step back and it's all finished. The second is that hand polishing aircraft parts loving SUCKS.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Znyp posted:

It's probably hard to make it look good, but I suspect it's not too expensive to make it look presentable: http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...ine_version=6.0

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Tullahoma show is over, didn't get a chance to shoot as many statics as I would have liked since I got caught in some horrific traffic due to an accident on the way down there and arrived shortly before the actual show began so the crowds were already camped around the statics. Here's some of the performance shots though:

edit: Bonus compressor stall:

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 2, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

If anyone wants a nice heaping helping of hatred for humanity just read the comments on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHa3WNerjU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I want to just strangle them while screaming it was not unmanned, and was in pilot control arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggh!

Why do they call it fully automated instead of Fly-by-wire? That bugs me more than the retarded comments. It was flown by pilots, and was possibly flown into the ground by them(disputed by findings on malfunctioning avionics).

Surprisingly few fatalities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Slo-Tek posted:

Civilian Owned Harrier

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuck :psyduck: