Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Josie Long is adorable.

And she gave a shoutout to (very good webcomic artist) Kate Beaton too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
I'm forever getting Josie Long and Josie D'Arby mixed up, listened to about 10 minutes thinking that it was the ex CBBC presenter.

It made sense in my mind because she's done some comedy things like the second series of Look Around You. I'll try not to make this mistake again. What makes it worse is that Josie Long has a really distinct voice.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

DaWolfey posted:

Josie Long is adorable.

:hfive:

Loooove her. Wish I got to do a radio show with her instead of Collins. Properly baffled why anyone thinks he's funny enough for anything ever.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Utter Shambles is back in a week or so.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

That Collins piggiebacks on the fame of other people.

"I have enjoyed the stuff we’ve done and am grateful to Andrew for supporting me at a time when a lot of people didn’t give a gently caress"

?

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Collins and Herrin never felt a good fit to 6 music. Neither seem to have a passion for music, particularly Herrin. Not sure the new double act will ever grow beyond "waiting for Adam and Joe" either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

thehustler posted:

Utter Shambles is back in a week or so.

I saw Robin Ince on Twitter earlier saying he wanted Kevin Spacey on.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

knees of putty posted:

Collins and Herrin never felt a good fit to 6 music. Neither seem to have a passion for music, particularly Herrin.
Collins original career was as a music journo, and he had a regular 6Music show at the stations launch.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's their fill-in guy a lot of the time. Covers lots of slots when people are on holiday.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Collins original career was as a music journo, and he had a regular 6Music show at the stations launch.

Yeah, but there's no passion, at least not in his broadcasting. For instance, his "herrin split" blog post is all about his career blah blah.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I remember back in 1996 when Collins and Maconie had a show on early morning ITV about movies. gently caress me, Collins was the more unlikable of the two, though I hated the pair of them at 5am on a Saturday

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Collins is an incredibly dull, boring fucker that has little to anything to contribute. His main contribution to the C&H podcast was that he was an amiable punchbag for Herring's material.

Although he did do a good job of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOMWdqxxjs

Babby Herring is funnier than Collins, even then.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I thought Collins' original career was liking the 1980's?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

DaWolfey posted:

Josie Long is adorable.

And Kid Canaveral, an awesome wee band. There's a BBC doc about them and a couple of others making the trip to SXSW on tues night.
9pm, BBC2 Scotland only. So iplayer it and complain about the lack of national broadcast.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

BizarroAzrael posted:

I saw Robin Ince on Twitter earlier saying he wanted Kevin Spacey on.

Yeah I saw that. I love Spacey, he's like an honourary Brit now.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

FreakyZoid posted:

I thought Collins' original career was liking the 1980's?

Yes, and writing way more books about his life than necessary.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ade Edmonson on The TV Book Club on more4 right now.

edit: With the loving Fonz :psyduck:

What the gently caress is this bizzaro reality show. :psyboom:

Edit2: The Fonz is going on about how he can't read or write. My mind can barely contain all of this crazy.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 3, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Kin posted:

Edit2: The Fonz is going on about how he can't read or write. My mind can barely contain all of this crazy.

He's severely dyslexic and wrote a series of books about it aimed at children, it's incredibly cool.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

He's severely dyslexic and wrote a series of books about it aimed at children, it's incredibly cool.

But in combination with him actually being there on a boring UK book show and Ade Edmonson being an utterly polite meek old man hosting it, it's just too much mindfuckery for one single thing.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Kin posted:

But in combination with him actually being there on a boring UK book show and Ade Edmonson being an utterly polite meek old man hosting it, it's just too much mindfuckery for one single thing.

I find it odd watching Ade these days. It's very strange seeing him go ten minutes without putting his or someone else's head through a wall.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I thought Stolen was not too bad, and was taken in by what I considered to be 'several true stories' until a small East European lad wandering around London got stabbed randomly by a smaller child, and then bled to death in the middle of the floor in a busy coach station as people walk by, unbothered. A scene taking in what people imagine happens on a constant basis in big cities made me question what else was total bullshit.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ChuckDHead posted:

I find it odd watching Ade these days. It's very strange seeing him go ten minutes without putting his or someone else's head through a wall.

I had a :psyduck: moment when I saw the posters for the folk band go up in the next town over from me.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Anybody else gonna give sirens another shot tonight or have most people decided it shite already?

Padje posted:

I thought Stolen was not too bad, and was taken in by what I considered to be 'several true stories' until a small East European lad wandering around London got stabbed randomly by a smaller child, and then bled to death in the middle of the floor in a busy coach station as people walk by, unbothered. A scene taking in what people imagine happens on a constant basis in big cities made me question what else was total bullshit.
I really wanted to like it, but the stabbing was a real jump the shark moment and I was already a bit bored by then.

Cheese Bridge Area fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 4, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Bioalchemist posted:

Anybody else gonna give sirens another shot tonight or have most people decided it shite already?

I'll give it a go. What's the worst that could happen?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bioalchemist posted:

Yeah, I've got nothing better to do and I didn't find it terrible so...

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I found it quite funny, hope it's got legs.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Bioalchemist posted:

I really wanted to like it, but the stabbing was a real jump the shark moment and I was already a bit bored by then.

I'd already overlooked the gangster able to locate the exact foster home Rosemary was staying in the very afternoon she got into the country, yet had to pay another girl staying there for the sparsest information of all time. At that point I figured the baddies had some sort of method for extraction, and maybe someone working for the police giving them tips.

In the child-slavers eyes, did this all go to plan? The copper got a call saying Rosemary 'had been told exactly how to behave and what to say'. She was meant to get herself picked up? I thought the whole point of the ginger kid in the beginning, and also in his comical death, was that kids could wander round and no one would pay any attention to them whatsoever.

Why would they want the child making itself known in the first place? Surely giving the child instructions to meet a cut-out with a sign marked 'Rosemary' at the exit gate would not alert any police to the girl's presence in the country? I mean, she came in legally.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Is there some reason why HIGNFY has an erratic schedule? I think they've only had 3 episodes this series and it hasn't been on for a few weeks now.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
:siren: :tinfoil: SUPERINJUNCTIONS :tinfoil: :siren:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the series ended in June.

It's been pretty poo poo the last few years anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

reflir posted:

:siren: :tinfoil: SUPERINJUNCTIONS :tinfoil: :siren:

I think sometimes Charles I could have avoided trial and execution if he got him one of those.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Well, Dispatches was horrible tonight. I've always considered landlords to be scum (I'm sure anyone who's lived outside of halls as a student does too), but that guy took the cake. I hope Channel 4 showing that destroys the lives of everyone working at that company.

Channel 4 have put it up on 4OD, if you feel the need to make yourself very angry.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 4, 2011

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Right, been watching Sirens for the past 10 or so minutes and I'm just not interested in this program at all. Except for the guy that plays Robb. I'm always interested in that guy and his accent in this crappy show.

It's not enough to keep me interested in watching it though, so I've determined that it's poo poo.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

Right, been watching Sirens for the past 10 or so minutes and I'm just not interested in this program at all. Except for the guy that plays Robb. I'm always interested in that guy and his accent in this crappy show.

It's not enough to keep me interested in watching it though, so I've determined that it's poo poo.

Music's pretty good, though.I figure I'll stick around for the credits to find out what that tune was that played during the kiss scene there.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Quoting Larkin. This isn't at all pretentious no.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most of my student landlords (I've had 6 in the last 7 years) have been pretty decent. A couple have been feckless, moronic and useless, but I don't think I'd describe them as malicious. I know people with stories though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

goatface posted:

Most of my student landlords (I've had 6 in the last 7 years) have been pretty decent. A couple have been feckless, moronic and useless, but I don't think I'd describe them as malicious. I know people with stories though.

Our last lot sold the house (fair enough, thing was falling apart and one room had already been declared unfit for human habitation, and they did give appropriate notice). A week before we were due to move out, they turned up basically unannounced on the doorstep with their very apologetic daughter (I think they'd mentioned to my housemate that they might be coming over at some point before we moved, pretty vague) and declared they would be staying in the house for a week (this was while we were still paying rent mind). I ended up doing most of my moving over and around them since the new house was already sorted, it's fortunate that the two housemates were out of town or there would have been nowhere for them to sleep and six people in an already cluttered and cramped shithole.

They were annoying and disorganised but not actually malicious, and I'm sure plenty of people have had far worse experiences.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I'm not really enjoying Sirens thus far. Not really funny enough to lighten up the darker moments, and that scene with the guy interrogating his gay colleague just seemed somewhat nastier than a bit of lighthearted matey teasing that could maybe have been acceptable. I'll say this, it doesn't have Scrubs' tone issues, because so far I'm not really seeing much wacky or funny stuff.

Edit: Finally, something that implies one of the main characters isn't a complete sociopath or rear end in a top hat.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 4, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChuckDHead posted:

and that scene with the guy interrogating his gay colleague just seemed somewhat nastier than a bit of lighthearted matey teasing that could maybe have been acceptable.

Yeah, that came off as really douchey, and far too realistic of guys who just ask about homosexuality so they can laugh at it.

...And he just climbed up a wall to provide a girl with an oxygen mask. Where is the oxygen coming from? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I have never heard that song not end on "fried chicken".

The soundtrack is a really strong point in general on this show.