Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Anyone know of a place to order quality bully sticks cheaper than the $3+ each at the pet store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kerafyrm posted:

Anyone know of a place to order quality bully sticks cheaper than the $3+ each at the pet store?

I usually use Bestbullysticks.com. The shipping can be a little expensive but they have good products.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
(I asked about this dog earlier in thread, he is now much better, we don't know why he was acting up)

Anyway, we make our own organic food for him, I think its called BARF? We mix it up with veggies, herbs and vitamins and its supposedly really good for him. We make his food two weeks in advance and then put it in the freezer.

Me and my girlfriend are always arguing about wether or not to serve it to him frozen or have it thaw before. The dog doesn't seem to mind eating frozen food (and in fact seems to like it more) but is there a nutritional difference?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I tend to give my dog frozen meat. The biggest reason is that it's a bit easier to clean up vs thawed. I like to think that the frozen food means the dog has to work it a bit, and as a result there's more benefit for their teeth (but that might be moot). I doubt there's any nutritional difference.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
My dog also gets most of his meat frozen, (chicken wings, drumsticks, some lamb and chicken necks). He certainly has to work at it longer, and he seems to have to grind the bones down rather than being able to crunch them easily, or just swallow them (as he does with chicken necks).

I imagine the nutritional benefits would be the same, as you mostly lose vitamins etc. when you cook food, not when you freeze it. If he finds it more enjoyable, I'd stick with serving it frozen.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
How long can it take for a cat to adjust to living in a house with other cats?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Huntersoninski posted:

It varies. How did you handle the introduction? It can take weeks, months or sometimes longer. There is a great section about introducing cats in the OP of the kitten megathread.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 4, 2011

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Huntersoninski posted:

I think the usual recommendation is to give a cat at least two months.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

RazorBunny posted:

I think the usual recommendation is to give a cat at least two months.

I think it was probably about 2 months before the Tabitha on Charlotte violence calmed down. Tabby still hates Charlotte, but it's much more begrudging than beatings. Charlotte has started standing her ground.

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself

RheaConfused posted:

Vet first. Male cats can die from urinary crystals left unattended, I'm being so serious here.

How old were they when they were fixed?
The vet waited until they were five pounds, so 5ish months old.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Insignificunt posted:

The vet waited until they were five pounds, so 5ish months old.

I would definitely make a trip to the vet my first move then.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

I would definitely make a trip to the vet my first move then.

What does the age of neutering have to do with anything? 5 months is a pretty standard neutering age, by the way.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chaco posted:

What does the age of neutering have to do with anything? 5 months is a pretty standard neutering age, by the way.

If I'm remembering correctly, if male cats are neutered when they are older, it is a lot more likely they will still feel the need to mark.

Since this kitty was neutered at a proper age to prevent that (usually), then there might be something else up. I could be mistaken, but when I had my Chester many years ago, my vet was adamant about not waiting past 6 months for a neuter if I didn't want him to mark/spray.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Chaco posted:

As geo said. Sometimes people adopt a male cat that was neutered late and started spraying and is in the habit. I'm perfectly aware of the standard neutering age.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

As geo said. Sometimes people adopt a male cat that was neutered late and started spraying and is in the habit. I'm perfectly aware of the standard neutering age.

See, I was taught that it's a common misconception that age of neutering is in any way related to marking behavior. In cats, I was taught that after neutering, there will be a decline in fighting, roaming, and spraying behaviors in 80-90% of animals, and that the age of neutering had no effect on these behaviors persisting.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
We had a tom named Boris that was several years old, maybe even close to 10, before we were able to snag him and have him fixed. He in no way stopped or reduced his roaming, fighting, or spraying.

Now my parents have a tom named Albert who was fixed around 3 years old and he roams and sprays but will only spray outside on trees and such.

My Henry, who was neutered at 5 months, has never sprayed. All the males cats my parents have rescued/fostered that were neutered before 6 months never sprayed. All that were later in life retained some need to mark something (and always had super stinky pee). Anecdotal, I know, but that's what I've seen.

edit:

vvv Very well could have been. vvv

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 4, 2011

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Maybe your toms were in the unlucky 10-20%.

Edit: I tried to find a link to the paper that this particular statistic is from, and I'm not having any luck. It's "Effects of castration on markedly improving existing behavior problems of adult male cats" by Hart and Barrett, from a 1973 issue of JAVMA.

Dr. Chaco fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 4, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
My friend claims that while he was at "the park" today - not a dog park, just a stretch of ground for people, probably with a playground etc - he met two husky-wolf mixes. The owners informed him that they were said hybrid. We are in the UK. I told him that the owners were misinformed and that a wolf-hybrid, no matter how dilute, was very unlikely. From what I've learned from PI, such a hybrid is rare in the US, let alone the UK, and is unlikely to be particularly good around people, other dogs, and children - of which there were definitely many of in that particular park.

Was I right?

Can a wolf-husky hybrid be kept as a suitable, dog-like pet? I believe not (again, from lurking PI).

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

RheaConfused posted:

It varies. How did you handle the introduction? It can take weeks, months or sometimes longer. There is a great section about introducing cats in the OP of the kitten megathread.

It's my sister. She gave the new cat its own space away from her two current cats in the bathroom. Its own litter box, food, and water. At first he was shut in, now there's a baby gate there. He can hop over it if he wants, and he occasionally does, but generally he chooses to keep in the bathroom and that worries me a little.

When I first met the cat he was super friendly and curious and liked exploring and being petted. Now that he's in the other cats' house he pouts in the bathroom. He still accepts pets, but if he sees one of the other cats outside the door he starts hissing and squalling and it's about 5 minutes before he lets anyone touch him again.

He hisses at them, and they'll hiss back but in general the current cats ignore him, and no one has tried to hurt anyone else. It's all hisses and squalls and pouting (on the part of the new guy). But it's only been a couple days. I just wanted to make sure it was supposed to take a while.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Chaco posted:

See, I was taught that it's a common misconception that age of neutering is in any way related to marking behavior. In cats, I was taught that after neutering, there will be a decline in fighting, roaming, and spraying behaviors in 80-90% of animals, and that the age of neutering had no effect on these behaviors persisting.

It never fails, here's Chaco to ask a question that he already knows the answer to. Thanks old pal.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 5, 2011

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Huntersoninski, it sounds like the kitten is doing fine and your sister is doing it right. The kitten needs to have a place to hide and adjust in its own time.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

It never fails, here's Chaco to ask a question that he already knows the answer to. Thanks old pal.

You didn't explain at all why you were asking the question, and since I didn't know why age of neutering would be at all relevant, I asked why you thought it was, in case you had a good reason to think so. My bad, I'm not good at reading minds via internet yet.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

eating only apples posted:

My friend claims that while he was at "the park" today - not a dog park, just a stretch of ground for people, probably with a playground etc - he met two husky-wolf mixes. The owners informed him that they were said hybrid. We are in the UK. I told him that the owners were misinformed and that a wolf-hybrid, no matter how dilute, was very unlikely. From what I've learned from PI, such a hybrid is rare in the US, let alone the UK, and is unlikely to be particularly good around people, other dogs, and children - of which there were definitely many of in that particular park.

Was I right?

Can a wolf-husky hybrid be kept as a suitable, dog-like pet? I believe not (again, from lurking PI).

Big write-up on hybrids:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3344325&pagenumber=5#post382068941

Chances are, if they WERE hybrids, they were pretty low content. If thet were husky mixes, that would definitely make them more social and good in crowds. The UK has a whole subculture of people breeding these dogs, just like in the US. (Apparently, in Europe, they're called American Wolfdogs, almost like they're an actual breed :rolleyes: ) It IS possible to keep them as pets, but it requires a massive understanding of how wolves should be kept. You also get people who THINK they have a hybrid, and spout it out thinking it makes them cool or one with nature or some other :downs: poo poo, only to have a breeder lie to them, and they'll only really be some sort of northern mutt. Of course, these are the people who end up with an ACTUAL hybrid, or a higher content one with their next dog, only to find themselves unable to handle it. :( Hell, people have a hard enough time dealing with huskies, let alone wolf mixes... :(

Chachikoala
Jun 30, 2003
Chachi+Koala

eating only apples posted:

Was I right?

Wolf crosses exist. I know because we were considering getting one until we did our research.

If you search around there is a lot of technical information on them. After we did our research we realized that it would not be a suitable pet for us, but some folks have kept them as such. Not something I would recommend.

Edit: Deleted my links...totally beaten to the punch with much better content...go read what WolfensteinBag posted.

Chachikoala fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 5, 2011

A black person
Oct 3, 2007

Bender, stop shutting the hell up!
I never post in PI but I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. This morning one of my cats came in with his left eye looking swollen and a bit weepy; on further investigation I could see that there was something stuck under his eyelid. He wasn't too keen on letting me pull it out, but he didn't appear to be in pain either, so I had my brother hold his head still while I pulled out what turned out to be a pretty big piece of needlegrass. That stuff is all over our yard and other yards in the neighborhood, so they get it caught in their fur all the time. But I don't know how the hell he got in his eye, especially so deep in. Right now his eye is still swollen but he can open it somewhat and he doesn't seem to be in pain at all, even if I touch around his eye. My question is, do I need to worry about infection? I want to avoid taking him to the vet if I can, because I'm pretty broke. Should I just try to keep him inside as much as possible, or is there anything in particular I need to do?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah we're going to tell you to take him to the vet. Worst case scenario, it gets so infected that he loses his eye. That'll be a lot more expensive.

If you don't want to listen to that, then I suggest you at least wash the wound with an alcohol solution or hydrogen peroxide.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
I would worry more about a scratch on the cornea, but infection is certainly possible. If it doesn't clear up quickly now that the needlegrass is gone, a vet should look at it.

As for keeping him inside, that might be a good idea if your yard has a lot of this stuff, since it can get caught in other places besides eyes--in ears, up noses, between toes, you name it. If he is allowed outside, you should check him thoroughly for stuck bits, and be aware that sudden onset of certain signs (head shaking, sneezing or bloody nose) could mean he has one stuck in an orifice.

Edit: For christ's sake, don't put alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in his eye. Would you do that to your own eye? Ouch.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yeah we're going to tell you to take him to the vet. Worst case scenario, it gets so infected that he loses his eye. That'll be a lot more expensive.

If you don't want to listen to that, then I suggest you at least wash the wound with an alcohol solution or hydrogen peroxide.

And if you do this, be sure to dilute the peroxide 50/50 with water. But go to the vet.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
I have a drug markup question that I'm hoping someone could answer. 14 ct of Clavamox 375mg should be around $40 from a vet, right? There's no reason it might cost say $556 unless someone keyed in 14 packs of 14...

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

SmuglyDismissed posted:

I have a drug markup question that I'm hoping someone could answer. 14 ct of Clavamox 375mg should be around $40 from a vet, right? There's no reason it might cost say $556 unless someone keyed in 14 packs of 14...

Clavamox is expensive, but not $556 expensive unless your dog is really a large horse.

Ass Waffle
Jun 18, 2004

I was prescribed 375mg of Clavamox (14 total) after my German Shepherd had a bad reaction to her sutures after a spay and it cost me exactly $40.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
Yeah, I hurked pretty bad this morning when I heard my total. I was already upset about my dog being ill so I didn't really have it in me to argue about price. Later, I checked online and found that it came in 14 packs for around $36 from dicount places. The reciept says Clavamox 375mg Pack - Qty. 14 - $556 so it has to be that. I just needed a little piece of mind for tonight until I can call tomorrow and get it straightened out. I would feel better but my dog is still sick. :(

SmuglyDismissed fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 6, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Yeah, I got 15mL of Clavamox (oral suspension) for my pup to use over 7 days to help clear up some bacterial yuck that was giving her the runs. I'm not sure what the actual mg of each dose was (she's tiny) and I've since lost the receipt, but as for cost - the entire visit with medication, fecal smears, and exam was $80, so it couldn't have been much.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Although I do agree with the 'loss of eye is bad part' of this reply...

I am quite tempted to express myself exactly like Chaco did. However, I am trying to be a nicer person. This is an extremely difficult case, because...

The MSDS for BOTH of these recommendations explicitly says NOT. NOT the eye. Causes redness, pain, and irritation in THE EYE, which is where the grass-thingy in the original question came from.

In fact, hydrogen peroxide isn't even appropriate to use in cuts, but people still use it anyway. It hampers the body's ability to heal at that local site.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

HelloSailorSign posted:

I am quite tempted to express myself exactly like Chaco did. However, I am trying to be a nicer person. This is an extremely difficult case, because...

The MSDS for BOTH of these recommendations explicitly says NOT. NOT the eye. Causes redness, pain, and irritation in THE EYE, which is where the grass-thingy in the original question came from.

In fact, hydrogen peroxide isn't even appropriate to use in cuts, but people still use it anyway. It hampers the body's ability to heal at that local site.

Yeah. A lot of people just jump to use hp, and I'm only familiar enough to know you should never use it at 100% strength.

A black person
Oct 3, 2007

Bender, stop shutting the hell up!
Thanks for the info, people. If it's looking worse tomorrow I will take him to the vet, and in the meantime I will not put any peroxide in his eye.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

RheaConfused posted:

Yeah. A lot of people just jump to use hp, and I'm only familiar enough to know you should never use it at 100% strength.

Well, you shouldn't use it in the eye at any strength...the most commonly available is 3%, and diluted 50/50 would be 1.5%, and both of those have cautions about irritating the eye.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Recommendations for pet insurance for a 2.5 year old cat? He ate some tape today and threw it up, and given how many things he's chewed on/destroyed I'm thinking he's one day going to get into something really bad. I'm sure he didn't mean to eat the tape - he just likes the texture of chewing on it. But you know how it goes.

My vet doesn't take CareCredit and I don't want to switch vets.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

pandaid posted:

Recommendations for pet insurance for a 2.5 year old cat? He ate some tape today and threw it up, and given how many things he's chewed on/destroyed I'm thinking he's one day going to get into something really bad. I'm sure he didn't mean to eat the tape - he just likes the texture of chewing on it. But you know how it goes.

My vet doesn't take CareCredit and I don't want to switch vets.

I think the general consensus on pet insurance is that it's not really worth it. Instead, just put aside some money in a savings account each month and use that if an emergency pops up. Nothing feels worse than paying a huge premium and then finding out that whatever incident isn't covered by the insurance guidelines.

Some countries/areas have different insurance options though so your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HelloSailorSign posted:

:stare: Sorry, I read it as being under his eye, not actually on the eyeball itself. I had no idea HP wasn't good for cuts; I use it as a matter of course. Thanks.