Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saradiart posted:

Hey Elentor and/or other Final Fantasy 7 experts, I have a question about something coming up in the following update (I assume) involving the acquisition of a certain enemy skill.

Is it possible to get Beta without using Elemental-Fire in your armor? I forgot about getting Elemental from the Mayor.

e: vvv: I meant specifically from Zolom at that specific point in the game.

Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though. You'll need Red XIII sitting at some 800 HP with Sadness, then Elixir him right after like there's no tomorrow.

That or Planet Protector. If you get Planet Protector early on, the rest of the game is a breeze.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Elentor posted:

Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely though. You'll need Red XIII sitting at some 800 HP with Sadness, then Elixir him right after like there's no tomorrow.

That or Planet Protector. If you get Planet Protector early on, the rest of the game is a breeze.

Time to grind Planet Protector then because gently caress Red XIII.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saradiart posted:

Time to grind Planet Protector then because gently caress Red XIII.

You'll have Red XIII with 800-900 HP while you grind for PP. The place to do the grinding are the forests outside the cave. Enemy Skill Aeris and matra magic the capperwires.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

UberJew posted:

I dunno, they mentioned that Sephiroth doesn't sleep off-handedly (with the too few beds issue) and combined with the 'the lights never turned off' line reads to me like he spent twenty four hours a day reading journals from a brilliant but entirely insane scientist.

The result comes out exactly how it should when dealing with horrors from beyond space; Lovecraft would be proud of the result.

This is also where the whole "it was Jenova controlling him" idea works best and why I suspect most people figured that was the case until Square hosed it all up.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

KataraniSword posted:

Am I the only one who sees that Hojo avatar and keeps hearing him in the voice of Mung Daal?

: LLLLLLLADIES. Could I interest any of you in breeding with these random... monsters I found?
:argh: God drat it now I can't unhear it!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NikkolasKing posted:

This is also where the whole "it was Jenova controlling him" idea works best and why I suspect most people figured that was the case until Square hosed it all up.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, doesn't the whole reunion thing support this? Sephiroth has Jenova's cells, and reunites with her, just like all the clones tried to. Sephiroth being the one in charge doesn't make any sense at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

Unless I'm remembering wrong, doesn't the whole reunion thing support this? Sephiroth has Jenova's cells, and reunites with her, just like all the clones tried to. Sephiroth being the one in charge doesn't make any sense at all.

Basically Sephiroth was using the Reunion for his own purposes. The clones were being drawn to where Sephiroth and Jenova's head were but it was all just so Seph could get the Black Materia and become a god.

It really does undermine the power of the flashback we just saw. But I'll have to wait till much later to properly rant on that matter.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Psion posted:

You really don't need to do all that poo poo. Gus Hobbleton is on the money. Get RF-Item Refine or whatever and go to town. Your HP max will be like eight times what the game expects so you can sit in the yellow limit break zone (and still have more absolute HP then you 'should') and renzokouken everyone.

I mean, Card refining and refining in general is how you powergame that system, but SeeD Test FAQ -> money -> Tents -> Refine -> Party time. Use the Card command in battle, don't bother with the game unless you like it (there's something to be said for it unless the rules are on Random, in which case ugh)

To be fair Triple Triad owns so hard FF8 becomes more of a "boss as gently caress card game wish some jrpg poo poo thrown in too" if you play a min-level run.
God, I love ff8 :allears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man that update was practically gushing with yonic symbolism.

Also, I'm totally cool with the idea of the paleontologists who dug up Jenova giving her a commonly-used name, like Lucy.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just noticed, but you can see the round stone tower where the creepy staircase is from outside the mansion, in the Nibelheim shot. That's some lovely detail.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DocFrance posted:

Also, I'm totally cool with the idea of the paleontologists who dug up Jenova giving her a commonly-used name, like Lucy.

Someone did a comedy video where they called Jenova "Suzy", and made Sephiroth's shoes squeak everytime he walked.

I'd post it, but it's WAY too spoilery at this moment in time.

Queen of Roses
Jan 12, 2007

He's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya.

DocFrance posted:

Aw c'mon, don't be shy, analyze it for us! I find that sort of thing interesting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well I'm no psychologist but you'd have to be blind to not see womb-like characteristics of the large red room filled with tubes and eggs, which leads to Sephiroth's mother figure. That's like, a uterus inside a uterus. Trippy.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Saradiart posted:

Hey Elentor and/or other Final Fantasy 7 experts, I have a question about something coming up in the following update (I assume) involving the acquisition of a certain enemy skill.

Is it possible to get Beta without using Elemental-Fire in your armor? I forgot about getting Elemental from the Mayor.

e: vvv: I meant specifically from Zolom at that specific point in the game.

Frankly, the quickest option would probably be to continue the story until you reach Costa del Sol, where you can get a Fire Ring. I think you can immediately pay some gil to stowaway on a ship back to Junon. As an added bonus, you can get a second Enemy Skill materia in Junon, so you can save some time coming back later to get Beta again. Probably faster than grinding up levels/Limits.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

Elentor posted:

You'll have Red XIII with 800-900 HP while you grind for PP. The place to do the grinding are the forests outside the cave. Enemy Skill Aeris and matra magic the capperwires.

You seem really adamant about getting me to use Red XIII, Elentor. Or should I say... Hojo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Elentor posted:

Not to sound like a dick, but why would you do any of that other than the Sadness part? Sadness + Backrow (to minimise the damage from its physicals) + Elemental-Fire in armour makes it pretty much a breeze especially if you poison it with Bio since then the Zolom won't be all "haha gently caress you!" and remove your characters from battle if you so much as sneeze on it.

...Besides, I got Meteorain and Ungarmax before Reno and I still think Planet Protector that early is excessive :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Not to sound like a dick, but why would you do any of that other than the Sadness part? Sadness + Backrow (to minimise the damage from its physicals) + Elemental-Fire in armour makes it pretty much a breeze especially if you poison it with Bio since then the Zolom won't be all "haha gently caress you!" and remove your characters from battle if you so much as sneeze on it.

...Besides, I got Meteorain and Ungarmax before Reno and I still think Planet Protector that early is excessive :v:

I do not have elemental because I am apparently bad at video games.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dragonatrix posted:

Because I'm giving specific tips to a guy who said he doesn't have Elemental.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
When I played this game I didn't get much farther than this so don't quote me and respond with a solid block of spoilers because I don't want to read them!

My plot rumination is entirely based on this thread and some vague memories from ten years ago

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't worry, they're only talking about game mechanics. No idea why that needs to be spoiler-tagged.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

DocFrance posted:

Don't worry, they're only talking about game mechanics. No idea why that needs to be spoiler-tagged.

I was trying to be courteous!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
:eng101:

Inherent statuses that never wear off from accessories are done by giving that status and by making the wearer immune to the status. The Reflect Ring, for example, gives an immunity to Reflect and has the character start with Reflect, so it's a permanent reflect.

Added Effect+Time on armor makes the wearer immune to Haste in addition to the expected Slow and Stop. Why.

Haste makes the rate at which Barrier and MBarrier deplete double.

Big Guard inflicts Haste, Barrier, and MBarrier so the bars deplete faster. That would be a reason to use Added Effect+Time... if Haste weren't just so good.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Inherent statuses that never wear off from accessories are done by giving that status and by making the wearer immune to the status. The Reflect Ring, for example, gives an immunity to Reflect and has the character start with Reflect, so it's a permanent reflect.

Added Effect+Time on armor makes the wearer immune to Haste in addition to the expected Slow and Stop. Why.

Big Guard inflicts Haste, Barrier, and MBarrier so the bars deplete faster. That would be a reason to use Added Effect+Time... if Haste weren't just so good.

What would happen if you had Added Effect Time and the Sprint Shoes equipped? Would the character start off in haste or not?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you put Added Effect + Time on a weapon, does it inflict Haste on the enemy along with Slow and Stop? And does it do all of them, or does each have an independent chance?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
One of my favorites was Added Effect-Transform in a weapon. Sure, it doesn't really have the utility of Break or Destruct, but turning enemies into tiny frogs on contact is just so satisfying.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

OatmealRaisin posted:

One of my favorites was Added Effect-Transform in a weapon. Sure, it doesn't really have the utility of Break or Destruct, but turning enemies into tiny frogs on contact is just so satisfying.

Isn't that Mini-Mog, transform being the thing that turns enemies into items? Or maybe I haven't played this game in 10 years and forget.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

a spooky ghost posted:

Isn't that Mini-Mog, transform being the thing that turns enemies into items? Or maybe I haven't played this game in 10 years and forget.

Items is Morph. Transform is Mini - Toad

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

Does this cause the same bug that exists in Final Fantasy 6? Where Immunities are set at the beginning of the battle, so if you enter a battle dead/paralyzed and are restored you'll just be permanently immune to that status without it on? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious and never played FF7 too much.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Elephantgun posted:

Does this cause the same bug that exists in Final Fantasy 6? Where Immunities are set at the beginning of the battle, so if you enter a battle dead/paralyzed and are restored you'll just be permanently immune to that status without it on? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious and never played FF7 too much.

I don't think so, but I seem to recall that since immunities stop statuses from being removed, Vaccines (which make you immune to status effects for a battle) can be used to lock bad statusses onto enemies after you inflict them. They can't even Esuna themselves, they're just stuck like that forever. Of course, this applies to party members too, so be careful whom you vaccinate.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

What would happen if you had Added Effect Time and the Sprint Shoes equipped? Would the character start off in haste or not?

The Sprint Shoes already give initial haste and immunity to haste so it'd be no different from usual.

Paracelsus posted:

If you put Added Effect + Time on a weapon, does it inflict Haste on the enemy along with Slow and Stop? And does it do all of them, or does each have an independent chance?

I think I tried that and it's just Slow and Stop.

The only time I've really used Added Effect and a materia that inflicts multiple statuses is Seal and if more than one works you won't see it because two of them are Stop and Petrify. :shobon:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The only time I've really used Added Effect and a materia that inflicts multiple statuses is Seal and if more than one works you won't see it because two of them are Stop and Petrify. :shobon:
Doesn't Added Effect + Hades do it as well? I only recall using it in armor as a pseudo-ribbon, but I'd expect that to be Bad Breath On A Stick in a weapon.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't really play RPGs but it always kind of staggers me just how complex the battle systems behind them can get, I always wonder whether it's inevitable or whether it's just a consequence of developers not spending enough time optimizing them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Eh, in this game (and in most Final Fantasies, I guess), it's perfectly possible to just mash the attack button on your way to victory through the whole game. Sure, you'd probably have to grind for tougher fights, and there's no way you could beat the optional bosses, but basically there's nothing being over-levelled won't fix. The complex battle mechanics really only come into play if you don't want to just beat the game, but break it in two over your knee. If you're the sort of person who likes to laugh as enemy attacks bounce harmlessly off you while you steamroll them with the juggernaut that is your party, such complex battle mechanics are welcome.

Personally, I like finding ways to make the game cry out for mercy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Added Effect = Time is one of my favorite things to put on a weapon, and it's broken as hell. Not only is it free stops that you can try while dealing damage, but when the stop wears off the enemy is automatically slowed. With haste, every time it procs I get about a dozen free turns, and then I triple/quad-turn them after that. Plus, it's a nice way to scope out what's immune to stop/slow. Just give it to your physical attacker, and let him bang away on stuff, no wasted turns, no wasted mp.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Added-Effect+Hades is what all the cool kids do. You do want to be a cool kid, right? :colbert:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cuchulain posted:

Added-Effect+Hades is what all the cool kids do. You do want to be a cool kid, right? :colbert:

Yeah it's pretty awesome.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
This is why I don't get the hate for Kujata. Sure, you'd never want to cast it, but linking it to elemental on your armor is pretty nice.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cuchulain posted:

Yeah, but that's not available for 3/4 of the game. By the time you've got access to Hades, you have all the tools to break the game wide open in a billion other little ways. Time materia is what gets you to Hades.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

George posted:

This is why I don't get the hate for Kujata. Sure, you'd never want to cast it, but linking it to elemental on your armor is pretty nice.

I tried that and it didn't seem to work. With a 2-star Elemental it should render Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Earth invalid, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

George posted:

He's wind for Elemental.

Wind is a very rare element in enemy hands. I think Aero3 is the only thing that's near relevant.

There's Aero3 but no Areo or Areo2.

• Locked thread