Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

Tide posted:

One of the more recent issues I'm having is deleting files after I've downloaded them. Nearly every time I do, I get a pop up about "Thumbs" files and can't continue - no matter how many times I click "Try Again". The file isn't open in any media player or file viewer (win explorer, etc).

What's going on?

select the folder hit delete, when it complains, click on another folder before hitting "try again". I've had that happen and what i think it is is that windows is using that file to get metadata or something for the folder you have selected that is then displayed in the status bar and side bar. for whatever reason it decides not to release it to be deleted. i had that problem a lot with WHS v1, but haven't had it at all in Win2008 R2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Use Process Explorer to find out what process has a handle on Thumbs.db. You're going to find it's Explorer each time. You can kill the specific file handle to remove it, but generally it's going to happen time and time again.

I think if you disable thumbnails and previews in your Folder Options (apply it to all folders though) and it'll stop.

Marvel
Jun 9, 2010

Hogburto posted:

Setting the US Astra server as a primary and EU Astra server as a back-up solved my Astraweb problems when I used them as my unlimited.

What do you use now? I'm using giganews which has been amazing but drat that Astraweb deal looks great. Will I regret it if I cancel my giganews unlimited subscription and spring for that 1 year Astraweb deal instead?

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marvel posted:

1 year Astraweb deal

It's not worth the risk.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm on my second year on the Astraweb $96 dollar deal and love it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

paradigmm posted:

It's not worth the risk.

I've generally had decent success with Astraweb, with my limited use. The wonkyness of their servers seems to come and go, which does occasionally suck for the block plan, but it would just be a minor inconvenience with unlimited data.

Plus I could always just get a blocknews account for backup and probably be set for years.

My usage has definitely gone up since getting FIOS, so I need to take a serious look at that and weigh the pros and cons of blocks vs monthly/yearly payments...

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

simonmoon posted:

I'm on my second year on the Astraweb $96 dollar deal and love it.
I've never really had any issues with astraweb. I'm on my second year also. Just get 100 gigs on block news as a backup server of your scared. It's still cheaper than gigs news.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Out of the 900gb I've downloaded from Astraweb (previously I was on Supernews, previous to that Astraweb which I cancelled due to many incomplete files), I've had to hit my Blocknews account for 500mb. Not too bad. Most of my failed entries are related to the NZB file having multiple PAR sets (which isn't SAB's fault, really).

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So, I've been looking at backup solutions for a bit, and the combination of all those passworded rar sets uploaded by spammers and the Wikileaks insurance file have made curious about the feasibility of heavily encrypting important personal files, uploading them to some random group, and just keeping an offsite copy of the AES256 key with the NZB.

Is this stupid? What group would you suggest I use?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

simonmoon posted:

So, I've been looking at backup solutions for a bit, and the combination of all those passworded rar sets uploaded by spammers and the Wikileaks insurance file have made curious about the feasibility of heavily encrypting important personal files, uploading them to some random group, and just keeping an offsite copy of the AES256 key with the NZB.

I would personally never do this, Too much is out of my control and you never know when something is going to get deleted or will end up incomplete. Crashplan is amazing and you could do something similar with a friends/parents PC with their software for free, or backup to them for like 8$ bucks a month. Dropbox would probably work also.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Marvel posted:

What do you use now? I'm using giganews which has been amazing but drat that Astraweb deal looks great. Will I regret it if I cancel my giganews unlimited subscription and spring for that 1 year Astraweb deal instead?
$5/month Newsdemon Unlimited (Black Friday), backed primarily by Binsearch, backed secondarily by Astraweb US and EU (because they cost a little more than Binsearch).
All different server families. Non-expiring blocks and I barely ever dip into them. They're just there to occasionally give up a segment so I can skip par work and go straight to unrar.
If I disable them and only use them if a retry comes up, they should last the next eternity or so. I already had the Binsearch block from when I was on Astra, so I just spent another $25 for the Astraweb server(s) redundancy since I was still gonna come out way ahead of $96/year and even more than that compared to the Kleverig plans which I had.
Getting everything I was getting before. Paying much less. YEEEEAAAAHHHH!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

simonmoon posted:

Yes. Use an actual backup provider, there are several. I just signed up with backblaze

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

simonmoon posted:

With Amazon S3 now offering free data in, it's very inexpensive to store a lot of data. Just pick the reduced redundancy storage for a cheaper option.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

simonmoon posted:

Go have a look at the SHSC SpiderOak thread; the free 6Gb should be enough for 'important personal files'.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm starting to think Supernews isn't cutting it. Last night I queued up some files that were almost a year old (and had a decent amount of grabs) on NZB.su and I woke up to this:

I use SABNZBD, and SABConnect++ (for Chrome) for the mac.

Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Should I switch providers? If so, who should I switch to, Astraweb? UsenetServer? Something else?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 7, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

You could test that theory out by buying a 5gig plan from Block News for $2.75.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

JerkyBunion posted:

You could test that theory out by buying a 5gig plan from Block News for $2.75.

Done. Thanks for the advice.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Corbet posted:

I'm starting to think Supernews isn't cutting it. Last night I queued up some files that were almost a year old (and had a decent amount of grabs) on NZB.su and I woke up to this:

I use SABNZBD, and SABConnect++ (for Chrome) for the mac.

Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Should I switch providers? If so, who should I switch to, Astraweb? UsenetServer? Something else?

I woke up to this-

All the things that failed are ~75 days old, using Super News.

edit: A bit of a bummer I might add since this is the exact reason I switched off of astraweb.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 7, 2011

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy
Sometimes providers remove parts of files to comply with DMCA notices; not that I'm saying that is your issue. A block plan backup is probably your best bet.

clandestine cactus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 7, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

clandestine cactus posted:

Sometimes providers remove parts of files to comply with DMCA notices; not that I'm saying that is your issue. A block plan backup is probably your best bet.

The nice part is that all they have to do is not remove the same parts, so having multiple providers fixes this problem.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Corbet please post your results if you end up using a supplemental news host to SuperNews.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Could someone tell me where the script menu is in SABnzbd or, alternatively, how I can switch the theme? Sabnzbd isn't recognizing my sabtosickbeard. This just seems really unintuitive, but I'm sure I'm missing something really simple.

EDIT: Thanks on both counts.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 8, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Could someone tell me where the script menu is in SABnzbd or, alternatively, how I can switch the theme? Sabnzbd isn't recognizing my sabtosickbeard. This just seems really unintuitive, but I'm sure I'm missing something really simple.

You can change the UI by going to config > general and clicking the dropdown bar next to "Web Interface"

I use Plush gold. For SabtoSickbeard, you need to go into config > folders and next to "post processing scripts folder", you need to enter in the path of the scripts folder. Mine is: /users/corbet/sickbeard/sick-beard/autoprocesstv/

After that, you go into Config > Categories and next to "TV" is a dropdown bar for scripts, SabtoSickbeard should be an option.

io_burn posted:

Corbet please post your results if you end up using a supplemental news host to SuperNews.

It worked out great. I bought 200 GB for $20 at BlockNews and was able to download one of the files that failed on me last night. Granted, it went through a process of repairing and validating 2-3 times before it had all the data but I'm happy. I'd more than willing to pay a one-time fee of $20 instead of wasting a bunch of bandwidth downloading failed files (yay Comcast).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 8, 2011

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So I decided to sign up for Giganews as part of their summer promo, figuring that if their retention is as good as they say I don't mind paying a little extra. As part of their diamond service I get access to their Vypr VPN service. Do any of you guys use this? I've got custom firmware on my router, so I suppose I could just route all of my connections through it but I'm not sure what the point of doing that would be.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

io_burn posted:

So I decided to sign up for Giganews as part of their summer promo, figuring that if their retention is as good as they say I don't mind paying a little extra. As part of their diamond service I get access to their Vypr VPN service. Do any of you guys use this? I've got custom firmware on my router, so I suppose I could just route all of my connections through it but I'm not sure what the point of doing that would be.

I used it all the time when I had giganews, it is amazingly fast. Connect to the UK server and watch all the BBC and Top Gear right from their own site.

I've even considered getting the VPN service on its own, but they charge $19 a month for it. You are definitely getting a deal with the 2 combined.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Does anyone have any idea why im getting < 20KB/s to giganews? I've just moved into a new place and the internet access is out of my control. Everything else is fine speedwise, I get between 1 - 1.5Mb/s on speedtest.net and I've tried with Unison both with and without VyprVPN.

I really have no idea why it (and only it) is so slow. The AP im connecting to is using Coova http://coova.org/ if that means anything to anyone. I have checked with the owner who assures me he is not blocking/rate limiting anything, and I would've thought the VPN would've shown if he was.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Supernews upped their retention to 1058 days and also added a $99 yearly plan! http://www.supernews.com/superspecial.html?r=sabnzbd_sn

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

io_burn posted:

I woke up to this-

All the things that failed are ~75 days old, using Super News.

edit: A bit of a bummer I might add since this is the exact reason I switched off of astraweb.

Alright so everything that failed from SuperNews downloaded without issue via Giganews. This is so frustrating, as the best part about SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Sabnzbd is the "set it and forget it" nature of things. I'd love to cheap out with SuperNews, but holy poo poo is it irritating to have missing articles gumming up the works. I almost think that's worth just paying the premium for Giganews if they're the kings of retention and completion.

Posts Only Secrets posted:

I used it all the time when I had giganews, it is amazingly fast. Connect to the UK server and watch all the BBC and Top Gear right from their own site.

I've even considered getting the VPN service on its own, but they charge $19 a month for it. You are definitely getting a deal with the 2 combined.

A lot of the stuff I've read about VyprVPN has people using it thinking that funneling your :filez: traffic through a VPN somehow automagically makes you immune to prosecution if you're being an idiot... But isn't VyprVPN just as vulnerable to a DMCA-centric subpoena as any ISP is? I mean they might not bend over as easily as your typical ISP but it's not like if VyprVPN got cracked down on for funneling :filez: that they'd take the fall for you? It seems like the added privacy/security of using VyprVPN for anything other than avoiding region restrictions is entirely dependent on what VyprVPN decides to do with your traffic.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

io_burn posted:

Alright so everything that failed from SuperNews downloaded without issue via Giganews. This is so frustrating, as the best part about SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Sabnzbd is the "set it and forget it" nature of things. I'd love to cheap out with SuperNews, but holy poo poo is it irritating to have missing articles gumming up the works. I almost think that's worth just paying the premium for Giganews if they're the kings of retention and completion.

That's really weird since they're the same servers. I wonder if your route to supernews or their connection went flakey during that time.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

io_burn posted:

A lot of the stuff I've read about VyprVPN has people using it thinking that funneling your :filez: traffic through a VPN somehow automagically makes you immune to prosecution if you're being an idiot... But isn't VyprVPN just as vulnerable to a DMCA-centric subpoena as any ISP is? I mean they might not bend over as easily as your typical ISP but it's not like if VyprVPN got cracked down on for funneling :filez: that they'd take the fall for you? It seems like the added privacy/security of using VyprVPN for anything other than avoiding region restrictions is entirely dependent on what VyprVPN decides to do with your traffic.

Nothing is going to make illegal activity legal. There is a difference between gathering evidence that is admissible in court vs gathering evidence that makes getting subpoena's etc worthwhile, as well as the economics of prosecution and jurisdictional issues. Even if you're not doing anything illegitimate there's a case for VPNs, if only to prevent casual snooping because assumptions about the integrity of the underlying infrastructure are misguided. You are still trusting Vypr but at the least its a more manageable trust relationship.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

duz posted:

That's really weird since they're the same servers. I wonder if your route to supernews or their connection went flakey during that time.

Hmm, is there a way to setup sabnzbd to try an alternate SuperNews server, or re-try to download missing articles? Hitting retry in the interface seems to only retry to actual par checking process without ever attempting to fetch missing articles, which obviously fails, since they're not there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

io_burn posted:

Hmm, is there a way to setup sabnzbd to try an alternate SuperNews server, or re-try to download missing articles? Hitting retry in the interface seems to only retry to actual par checking process without ever attempting to fetch missing articles, which obviously fails, since they're not there.

I'm not sure this feature is available with sabnzbd and I've always wondered why they haven't implemented something like that. Missing articles are the worst thing about usenet/sabnzbd, mainly because you're stuck re-downloading the whole thing again (granted, you can go in and see what par files are missing, but that can be tough when you're downloading a file that has thousands of blocks).

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
That kind of functionality seriously isn't available via some kind of post-processing script? I'm coming up with nothing on Google but that seems like a seriously basic feature that's totally absent.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Way back on page 4, I posted this in frustration:

EC posted:

loving passworded rar files without comments on the original post that have a password.txt file that points to some useless loving website sucking up all my bytes

To which inpheaux said:

inpheaux posted:

We've been intermittently discussing building a pre-processing script that determines: 1) is a post passworded? 2) if not, is the post complete? 3) if not, is the post at least reparable?

Should be pretty easy. We've got stuff to detect passwording, and we've got stuff to detect completeness, and we've got stuff to detect reparability, we just don't have a thing that does ALL of these things and does them as a pre-processing script.

... but it should be doable!

So maybe that sort of functionality is coming down the line. Alternatively, you can spend a few bucks and get a Blocknews account as a backup server, which will alleviate a lot of your missing articles issues. I know it did mine. Right now I'm on Astraweb and haven't had anything fail in a few months.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

EC posted:

So maybe that sort of functionality is coming down the line.
It is. Soon. Shypike is already working on implementing a pre-processing download viability checker for 0.7. Also, 0.7 is NOT going to take forever to get released, like previous releases have.

In other news . . .

Liz from Giganews posted:

Today, Supernews is excited to announce that they have increased binary retention from 800 to 1,058 days effective immediately and will continue to increase daily! They will also continue to provide 2,937 days (and growing) of text retention.
Why keep it ~9 days behind Giganews? No clue. All I know is that there's basically zero reason to have a Giganews account anymore (even at their summer-special discount rate), if all you care about is Usenet. So go switch to Supernews, if you haven't already.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What is the default behavior for sabnzbd when there's a missing article? Does it just shift to a backup server to try the single article that is missing or will it download the rest of it through the backup server? Do you have to hit retry first in order to get it to try the backup server, or what logic does it follow?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

io_burn posted:

What is the default behavior for sabnzbd when there's a missing article?
If you have a backup server SABnzbd will only use it if an article fails to download on one of your primary servers.

Retry just does what it says, it retries. It follows the same logic as a normal download. If you don't change anything with your server setup before doing a retry do not expect different results.

You can try setting news.eu.supernews.com as a backup, but to my knowledge if something fails on news it should also fail on news.eu. IIRC, the reason this kind of setup works with Astraweb is due to routing / server availability, not article availability, but feel free to try it out and report back. To find if it's ever actually hitting the eu server, just watch the download stats for that server.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there a way to automatically assign a category to a file I've added to sabnzbd instead of manually having to change it? I have some sorting set to drop specific categories into different folders but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry if the category was marked or not.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Corbet posted:

Is there a way to automatically assign a category to a file I've added to sabnzbd instead of manually having to change it? I have some sorting set to drop specific categories into different folders but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry if the category was marked or not.
Get the NZB from somewhere cool (nzbs.org, nzb.su, etc) and have your category named exactly like the category at the source. Case matters.

So, something from nzbs.org with the category "tv" will end up in your sab category "tv".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

inpheaux posted:

Get the NZB from somewhere cool (nzbs.org, nzb.su, etc) and have your category named exactly like the category at the source. Case matters.

So, something from nzbs.org with the category "tv" will end up in your sab category "tv".

Hmmm, weird. I use nzb.su and it still doesn't apply the category correctly, even when they match.

I've got another question. I have sabnzbd move completed file to a networked drive (using OS X). Occasionally, the networked drive is disconnected and sabnzbd throws a fit about now being able to find the completed folder and decides to create the folder its self. When I re-connect the networked drive, OS X notices there already a folder with the same name as the networked drive (because sabnzbd created the folder) and it decides to rename the actual drive.

Is there any way to stop sabnzbd from creating the complete folder when it can't find it?