Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
are there any good novels in that genre that aren't tolkien or tolkein ripoffs? in particular i'm looking for something sans elfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its not that i dislike elfs, but after tolkien, a childhood full of d&d, endless tolkien ripoffs and three bojillion videogames, i've hit my elf tolerance threshold

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:
i just want to read a good non-fiction book... i read speaker of the Dead because this forum so gently caress this forum!

i'm the blue eyes of the weird people in the woods who have swordfights whilst Martin makes poo poo up like some sperg

and by "swordfight" i mean i will whip my peen0r out at the drop of a hat

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

holy poo poo when that one kid found that direwolf i was like "YEAH" and fist-pumped.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

z0ratio fartboner posted:

i just want to read a good non-fiction book

how about The Bible

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

are there any good novels in that genre that aren't tolkien or tolkein ripoffs? in particular i'm looking for something sans elfs.

It's a loooooooooooot easier to find good science fiction than it is to find good fantasy

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

rotor posted:

how about The Bible

lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sneaking Mission posted:

i know this may not be what you're looking for but have you tried not reading a song of fire and ice by george r. r. martin?

fixed

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lmao

its the original Good Book, son

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the last fantasy book I read was like 12 years ago.

Mordant's Need by Stephen Donaldson. It was pretty good actually so I got that thomas convenant book and it turned out to be about a rapist sperg traveling to a fantasy world. I didn't finish that one.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

i just open palmed slammed the delete button on my Kindle for George RR Martin.

gonna just watch game of thrones... i heard it has boobs and i like boobs.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

everyone post how many wheel of time books they made it through.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a loooooooooooot easier to find good science fiction than it is to find good fantasy

extremely true

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

literally the only sci-fi books that don;t seems to be well known after all these years are

Mick Farren

Protectorate

and

Their Master's War

won't vouch for any of his other's but I liek these two... especially the second one... because it's all about overthrowing some alien dictator and rescuing an ENTIRE planetoid of women who have been hormonally, genetically, and psychologically manipulated to serve the war-fighting men.

it's literally patriarchy ftw and a ticket to bonertown.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

i honestly can't think of the last fantasy book i read. probably was lord of the rings around when the movies came out. last sci fi book was the red/green/blue mars trilogy.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

rotor posted:

its not that i dislike elfs, but after tolkien, a childhood full of d&d, endless tolkien ripoffs and three bojillion videogames, i've hit my elf tolerance threshold

No ¡ELVES¡

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have fond memories of the elric series but i was like 12 at the time. can an adult tell me if they're actually any good?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0 posted:

No ¡ELVES¡

loving ELFS!!!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

quote:

Berek Heartthew's son was Damelon Giantfriend, and his son was Loric Vilesilencer, who stemmed the corruption of the Demondim, rendering them impotent

An actual sentence from thomas covenant.

I'm struggling to remember any fantasy novels besides tolkein that are good.

Those robin hobb assassin books are painful to remember. Characters had names like "Fitzchivalry"

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 8, 2011

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

rotor posted:

i have fond memories of the elric series but i was like 12 at the time. can an adult tell me if they're actually any good?

they very wildly from "eh" to "holy poo poo quit whining you loving nancy" to "hay this wasn't bad and actually had some character depth ok i guess i liked it"

the ratios of each are the subject of infinite debate

i'd say it's about 5000:243112609-1:2

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the only reason tolkein is good is because he just wanted to sperg out about languages and songs and myths, and then everyone that came after decided the window dressing parts (orcs and stuff) were the important bit

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

elric of melniboner

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Sci fis are gay

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think the only reason tolkein is good is because he just wanted to sperg out about languages and songs and myths, and then everyone that came after decided the window dressing parts (orcs and stuff) were the important bit

nah... Tolkien owns... I will never read the hobbit again tho

lovely compared to his later works

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

Mufreesboro posted:

Sci fis are gay

no u

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nah... Tolkien owns... I will never read the hobbit again tho

lovely compared to his later works

the hobbit was intended as a child's bedtime story so it's drastically different in tone from the other stuff

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

star wars eu is weird because they've constructed narratives around characters that only ever had a name so they could make an action figure out of it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

boy i sure am excited to read the further adventures of a character that was a nameless extra in a rubber suit

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
topical

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
since nobody apparently cares about voyager past shoving it up on netflix, it shows up on the 360 as <i>Voyager</i> in the ep descriptions

what are good tng episodes

including "there are four lights"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

JawnV6 posted:

since nobody apparently cares about voyager past shoving it up on netflix, it shows up on the 360 as <i>Voyager</i> in the ep descriptions

the rape gang episodes were p. good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good fantasy without elves:

Robert E. Howard: Conan stories and others. Howard was actually kind of an amazing author, particularly given the limitations of the markets he was publishing in.

Glen Cook: The Black Company books (ten novels). Tales of a mercenary company that has no problem working for the bad guys. Gritty, nasty, realistic, fun. The first three are best, after that Cook kind of loses the plot.

Glen Cook: Garrett, PI series (thirteen novels). Pastiches of classic noir/detective fiction, set in a sprawling fantasy city. Noir fiction maps to fantasy fiction in a surprisingly easy way. There are a couple of elvish characters, but they aren't typical elves, and they play a minor part in the stories.

Jack Vance: Dying Earth (four books). One of the grand masters, and the rare writer who could pass for actual literature. Much of his work was looted by Gygax for D&D (the magic system, in particular). Also check out his Lyonesse series.

Joe Abercrombie: The First Law (a trilogy, plus two standalone follow-on novels). Gritty, realistic fantasy, very well told, owes a lot to Cook. The final book of the trilogy is just plot twist after plot twist, every single one of which is legitimately foreshadowed and makes logical sense, which is drat impressive for a first-time writer.

Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds and its two sequels. A fantastic novel set in an imaginary China. Pretty much the best thing I read last year.

Gene Wolfe: Book of the New Sun (four volumes) and its follow-ons. The other fantasy writer that deserves literary consideration. Difficult, brilliant.

Terry Pratchett: Yeah, yeah. His fan club is goony and horrible, and his later novels vary in quality, but his good books are very good indeed. Try Mort, Going Postal, Intersting Times, Pyramids, Small Gods, and The Last Hero as entry points.

Diana Wynn Jones: The Tough Guide To Fantasyland. A hilarious A-Z collection of every single fantasy cliche, done in the style of travel guidebook.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

oh yeah, need to read those gene wolfe books

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt
Gene Wolfe is solid

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

well if two noted yosposters can agree, i guess i'll give it a poo poo

i meant shot there but i'm just gonna leave the typo as-is

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

JawnV6 posted:

The one where data learns about humanity

get it, its a subtle joke suggesting that they're ALL GOOD WATCH THEM ALL FOREVER

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX posted:

The one where data learns about humanity

get it, its a subtle joke suggesting that they're ALL GOOD WATCH THEM ALL FOREVER
i liked the one where riker is a smug prick.

and the one where worf gets beaten up.

and the one where troi is useless.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i also really liked that one twilight zone with the twist ending!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I just programmed an AI pilot to fly a ship into the space WTC.
9/11/9011
E: Turns out the space WTC was full of robots and now they are trying to kill us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
yo everyone read some stanislaw lem instead of your mediocre uninspired capitalist scifi from america.
some good books by him:
fiasco (about a failed attempt to establish contact with another civilization)
solaris (obviously)
the cyberiad (humorous short stories)
his masters voice (about attempting to decrypt an extraterrestrial radio transmission)
the futurological congress (won't spoil anything, but it's quite twisted)

• Locked thread