Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

rotor posted:

are there any good novels in that genre that aren't tolkien or tolkein ripoffs? in particular i'm looking for something sans elfs.

The Earthsea books by Ursula le Guin.

No elves, some dragons. Even if they were written for younger readers, they're actually really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

rotor posted:

well if two noted yosposters can agree, i guess i'll give it a poo poo

i meant shot there but i'm just gonna leave the typo as-is

lol.

i like fritz leiber's fafhrd and the gray mouser series, but i think it's all short stories.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

what are good tng episodes

the one where data gets an erection and has sex with tasha yar. also dr crusher ghost rape episode

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Sneaking Mission posted:

the one where data gets an erection and has sex with tasha yar. also dr crusher ghost rape episode

the naked now, and sub rosa. and those aren't good ones.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

great job knowing star trek episode names off the top of your head, fucker nerd

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

JawnV6 posted:

what are good tng episodes

inner light
measure of a man
yesterday's enterprise
dr crusher ghost rape
the one where a female crew member finds a love interest who is dead or otherwise gone by the end of the episode

i've been going through season 1 on netflix since i haven't seen much of it and i can see why they don't repeat it very often
i mean seriously does wesley crusher need to save the ship in every single episode? no nevermind it totally makes sense that he would come up with the solution before a crew of guys with advanced degrees in space poo poo

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Sneaking Mission posted:

ty

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sneaking Mission posted:

this but in an supportive tone.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

Diana Wynn Jones: The Tough Guide To Fantasyland. A hilarious A-Z collection of every single fantasy cliche, done in the style of travel guidebook.

all of diana wynn jones owned at the time but she wrote for teenagers so it might be too late now for a lot of us

quote:

measure of a man

also owns

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just finished Angelmass by Timothy Zahn I don't really recommend it. It's one of those "starts off with some really interesting ideas but the ending is a letdown" books.

qirex fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 8, 2011

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

measure of man is good.

other good tng episodes include birthright and phantasms.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

I just finished Angelmass by Timothy Zahn I don't really recommend it. It's one of those "starts off with some really interesting ideas but the ending is a letdown" books.

That's because he's not a very good author.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I started watching Enterprise from te beginning on Netflix. Not bad, Archer seems like an acceptable captain. Makes out with the bumpy heads, punches aliens in the face. Thumbs up

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
wait i thought the one where data got a boner WAS measure of man

:xd:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I started watching Enterprise from te beginning on Netflix. Not bad, Archer seems like an acceptable captain. Makes out with the bumpy heads, punches aliens in the face. Thumbs up

wait until you get to the xindi arc

a bunch of alien terrorists use a space laser to blow up florida and we're supposed to identify strongly with this as a 9/11 allegory but no one really cared because who's going to miss florida

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

wait until you get to the xindi arc

a bunch of alien terrorists use a space laser to blow up florida and we're supposed to identify strongly with this as a 9/11 allegory but no one really cared because who's going to miss florida

"loving finally!"
- the rest of Earth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
enterprise sucked but oh lordy lordy is jolene blalock a looker

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

z0ratio fartboner posted:

i just want to read a good non-fiction book... i read speaker of the Dead because this forum so gently caress this forum!

i'm the blue eyes of the weird people in the woods who have swordfights whilst Martin makes poo poo up like some sperg

and by "swordfight" i mean i will whip my peen0r out at the drop of a hat

I liked Speaker. I also like A Song of Ice and Fire (the books). You hate everything that I like :(

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

axolotl farmer posted:

No elves, some dragons. Even if they were written for younger readers, they're actually really good.

As far as good books for younger readers goes I really enjoyed Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. Similarly no elves or dragons.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

Robert E. Howard: Conan stories and others. Howard was actually kind of an amazing author, particularly given the limitations of the markets he was publishing in.
Jack Vance: Dying Earth (four books). One of the grand masters, and the rare writer who could pass for actual literature. Much of his work was looted by Gygax for D&D (the magic system, in particular). Also check out his Lyonesse series.

deichkind42 posted:

yo everyone read some stanislaw lem instead of your mediocre uninspired capitalist scifi from america.
some good books by him:
fiasco (about a failed attempt to establish contact with another civilization)
Reppin' these guys...

Howard was a man before his time and a millenia after all in one... Awesome works, there isn't a lot of sword/sandal stuff tha can even match his work all these years later.

Vance; man, I swear Cugel is one of the few books I can read and re-read and laugh at every time... Vance's florid verbiage and courtly coversations masking all manner of backstabbing and plotting is a hoot, and Cugel himself is a perfect bastard of an antihero.

Lem... Just going to say that Fiasco is a crushingly depressing book; if you go into it thinking, 'Hmm will people gently caress up here..?' you'll be set in good stead :o:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

iamthejeff posted:

its u

u are the phallic space ship

(Kelly Freas supremacy)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Lamont Cranston posted:

yesterday's enterprise

this episode sucks and i hate it

denise crosby is a terrible actress and any episode thats basically "heh.. remember tasha yar :smug:" is uniformly awful

except for the one with spock

spock owns

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

rotor posted:

are there any good novels in that genre that aren't tolkien or tolkein ripoffs? in particular i'm looking for something sans elfs.

The Black Company by Glen Cook. The later books kind of bog down a bit, but the first three are pretty good.

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

Davethulhu posted:

The Black Company by Glen Cook. The later books kind of bog down a bit, but the first three are pretty good.

seconding on both points

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

amf5 posted:

this episode sucks and i hate it

denise crosby is a terrible actress and any episode thats basically "heh.. remember tasha yar :smug:" is uniformly awful

except for the one with spock

spock owns

the episode with spock owns because stephen root is the klingon captain

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
the part where data just stares at picard when he's trying to sleep is p. funny

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
brent spiner owns

saw him in independence day over the weekend. good times

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

what was the one where troi was raped by the space creature and all the men in the bridge crew kept making her describe it and then telling her to have an abortion?

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sneaking Mission posted:

what was the one where troi was raped by the space creature and all the men in the bridge crew kept making her describe it and then telling her to have an abortion?

Star Trek The Next Generation: A XXX Parody

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

ah "the child"

Memorable Quotes

"I don't mean to be indelicate ... but who's the father?""
- William T. Riker

"Last night while I slept ... something, which I can only describe as a presence, entered my body."
- Deanna Troi'

"A lifeform of unknown origin and intent is breeding right now inside Counselor Troi."
- Jean-Luc Picard

thanks memory alpha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
memory alpha owns

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Shaggar posted:

memory alpha owns

it really does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the best fan wiki is transformers

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

axolotl farmer posted:

note: this only applies to the original trilogy (which is pretty great). she wrote a couple of follow-on novels and a short story collection more than a decade after the original three books, and they're not nearly as good.

mid-tier fantasy that i remember enjoying that still holds up, somewhat: the Thieves' World anthology books and Robert Asprin's Myth Adventures series (the first four, anyway).

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Shaggar posted:

memory alpha owns

shaggar is right

best part is that they separate all the EU crap into a different wiki

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

rotor posted:

well if two noted yosposters can agree, i guess i'll give it a poo poo

i meant shot there but i'm just gonna leave the typo as-is

wow i dont count as a noted yosposter???

also for some modern day fantasy stuff, the Dresden Files books are pretty damned entertaining, adn there's a 1 season show thats pretty ok

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mr_jim posted:

lol.

i like fritz leiber's fafhrd and the gray mouser series, but i think it's all short stories.

these books are also ok

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

FMguru posted:

note: this only applies to the original trilogy (which is pretty great). she wrote a couple of follow-on novels and a short story collection more than a decade after the original three books, and they're not nearly as good.

I actually really enjoyed The Other Wind and Tales from Earthsea and even Tehanu.

The mood in them is different, even more melancholy.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Skyl3lazer posted:

wow i dont count as a noted yosposter???

also for some modern day fantasy stuff, the Dresden Files books are pretty damned entertaining, adn there's a 1 season show thats pretty ok

Oh yea the Dresden Files are really fun reads. Butchers other series, the Codex Alera, is entertaining too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

deichkind42 posted:

his masters voice (about attempting to decrypt an extraterrestrial radio

$18 :staredog:

• Locked thread