Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat Jamestown but there's still plenty of that awesome little title to play. What a great shmup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I finally broke down after two days of not buying anything and got Mass Effect 2. I got bored of the first one really quick, but I just played 2 hours of Mass Effect 2 and I enjoy it a lot more!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bought even more Amnesia for my friends. I have now spent more on gifts than games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sarchasm posted:

So what's the deal with Mass Effect? I remember those games having some really brutal DRM on retail. Is that a part of the Steam release too?

The first game almost had an activate every 7 days DRM, but bitching made them change it to a limited activation DRM, and I think that got patched out later. ME2 just had the current EA style DRM where you get a code for some extra goodies in the box.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm attempting to play through Garshasp....this game is a turd. Horrible controls with keyboard and mouse, awful camera angles, checkpoint save system, everything I hate in a game. And I still bought it. And I'm playing it. At least it's manageable with a controller.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Fallout 3 for :10bux: :negative: Will roll failed.

At least Jamestown was awesome. Beat Story Mode on Legendary and 1cc'd the Gauntlet it on Normal, and (not 1cc'd) did a Vauntless Gauntlet too. Divine is kicking my 17th-Century Martian expat rear end, though, so I'm back to trying to finish off Tomb Raider: Anniversary now, and I guess I should finish Darwinia too. Both are at about halfway. Darwinia is, sadly, also starting to turn into the kind of RTS I don't like, which is to say, basically all of them - I have 200 enemies I need to grind through with an unlimited, slowly regenerating supply of weapons it is finicky and difficult to deploy. :smith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Beat Jamestown but there's still plenty of that awesome little title to play. What a great shmup.

Jamestown is basically the best purchase i've made this sale, im not good at shmups but this one has a decent learning curve and everything is well crafted, i just wish the other 3 ships were as good as the starting one (the only i would use is gunner for its directional fire).

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm attempting to play through Garshasp....this game is a turd. Horrible controls with keyboard and mouse, awful camera angles, checkpoint save system, everything I hate in a game. And I still bought it. And I'm playing it. At least it's manageable with a controller.

I played it until the part you get the ticket... i uninstalled it and sent it to "finished" backlog because i cant stand the awful camera, clunky combat and horrible map design.

Back on topic, last 2 weeks i finished Dungeon Siege 3 and Alien Breed Impact, now going to rush Alien Breed 2, finish Crysis 2 (tho is Origin :v:). Im going to start Alpha Protocol next Monday but have a question: Is it better with a gamepad? I have a xbox360 controller and i dont mind playing it that way.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 9, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sarchasm posted:

So what's the deal with Mass Effect? I remember those games having some really brutal DRM on retail. Is that a part of the Steam release too?
ME1 shipped with silly DLC but they fixed that in newer disk/DD versions/patches to disk check and installation sheck.

ME2 disked is securom esque, I think DD versions dont use any DRM except the ones off the platform.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Jamestown is basically the best purchase i've made this sale, im not good at shmups but this one has a decent learning curve and everything is well crafted, i just wish the other 3 ships were as good as the starting one (the only i would use is gunner for its directional fire).

I like Charge because it's secondary fire owns. Primary not so much but you get used to it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

Fallout 3 for :10bux: :negative: Will roll failed.

I was able to resist getting Fallout 3 this sale. :smug:

Because I already got New Vegas and Call of Pripyat. :negative:

Guillermus posted:

Im going to start Alpha Protocol next Monday but have a question: Is it better with a gamepad? I have a xbox360 controller and i dont mind playing it that way.

The minigames are easier with a controller, the aiming is easier with a mouse. It's perfectly playable with either.

In either case, don't forget to check the Alpha Protocol thread for some INI tweaks that greatly improve performance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SmokinDan posted:

I like Charge because it's secondary fire owns. Primary not so much but you get used to it.

Yeah I've been using Charge exclusively since I unlocked it. Haven't purchased the 4th ship yet though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have been tempted on Fallout 3 if it was under 10 and you know they will give it 75% in a few months. Then I have Morrowind and Oblivion GOTY to finish before I get the Fantasy with guns GOTY.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
drat it Steam! You got me again! :argh: I bought F1 2010 and Blood Money for around $13.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
I fell for Terraria and Post Apocalyptic Mayhem today. How can I resist these indie gems if they are so drat cheap?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh goddamnit Steam, there I go on X3TC and NWN2. And Portal 2. And maybe Terraria.

Now all I need is for Witcher EE and Vampire Bloodlines to be dailies tomorrow and my failure will be complete.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

My damage so far :

Darksiders 4.99$
Fallout : New Vegas 14.99$
Fallout : New Vegas - Dead oney DLC 2.99$
Fallout : New Vegas - Honest Hearts DLC 2.99$
X3 - Terran Conflict 4.99$

I'm proud of myself not buying much games this year! Only 30$ so far.

I guess I don't have any merits for that... Lot of nice deals that I passed was because I already had those games... :negative:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

God drat you Steam...Today's damage:

Prince Of Persia Complete
Hitman Collection

Total: $23

I really hope that there's nothing I want tomorrow :(

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

God drat you Steam...Today's damage:

Prince Of Persia Complete
Hitman Collection

Total: $23

I really hope that there's nothing I want tomorrow :(

Tomorrow will be a recap day! So all the games you were unsure about and didn't buy before the timer ran out will somehow magically all jump in your cart when you see them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hemish posted:

Tomorrow will be a recap day! So all the games you were unsure about and didn't buy before the timer ran out will somehow magically all jump in your cart when you see them.

Is it confirmed to be a recap day? Cause I actually bought everything I wanted, so I don't have to worry about that if it is!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I got NWN2 today. Don't know why, I don't even like the game.

I hear Storm of Zehir or whatever is awesome with an open world or some poo poo, I stopped playing the game about 2 hours into the original campaign the last time I tried it. The physical copy is in my basement somewhere, unless I burned it. Can't remember.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yes.

There's a free episode for you to check for yourself: http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/lincolnmustdie

One caveat: It's a great example of Season 1, which was fun. But season 2 is much better, and Season 3 (The Devil's Playhouse) is up there with the best adventure games ever made.

Season 1's a little simpler in its looks and execution, not as mold-breaking in its puzzle designs, and reuses lots of characters and assets because it was made on a smaller budget with smaller voice staff, etc.

As someone who's bought all of them at full price upon release, I think they're all worth it, but bare minimum get season 3.

gently caress, now you made me buy S&M too! With yesterday's Aquaria debacle and this it is very clear to me that this thread isn't safe at all!

Mangoose fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 10, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I almost bought Sam & Max but then realized I have a full season of BTTF and Monkey Island to get through.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I think I have a problem
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/LumberingTroll

quote:

Found 469 Games with a value of
$7561.82 USD
(this thing is not accurate either, its missing a bunch of games, and doesnt count any DLC...)

I imagine I have completed, to the point I will never play them again, maybe... 15 games? I currently have 147 games installed. To keep the games I am actively playing in order I put them in favorites. there are 15 in there right now.

Good thing my wife is understanding of my game addiction.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 10, 2011

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

LumberingTroll posted:

I think I have a problem
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/LumberingTroll
(this thing is not accurate either, its missing a bunch of games, and doesnt count any DLC...)

I imagine I have completed, to the point I will never play them again, maybe... 15 games? I currently have 147 games installed. To keep the games I am actively playing in order I put them in favorites. there are 15 in there right now.

Good thing my wife is understanding of my game addiction.
It's missing games definitely (who knows why!) and it can't DLC since that's not really publicly available by looking at someone's profile really. Still, it's not that terrible though. It's really interesting once you've added up how much you've spent in total. Looking at that $7561.82 USD and then calculating that you've in fact spent like 37% of that (so in my case of 6534.98, it turns into something like 4134.155 saved) is such a great feeling. And it only increases as you get more games! :supaburn:

My haul:
AC: Brotherhood
AC 2
Dwarfs!?
Hamilton's Great Adventure
HOARD
Men of War: AS
Sanctum
Football Manager 2011
Children of the Nile + Expansion
HoMM Pack
Gothic Pack (minus Gothic 4)
GTA Classics
The Last Remanat
Terraria

I'm starting to think I'll never actually make a sizable dent in my backlog.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, first world problems... are you not adorable?

Supreme Commander 2
Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition
Empire and Napoleon: Total War - Game of the Year Edition
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Lara Croft GOL DLC packs
Company of Heroes Complete Pack
Sanctum
King Arthur Collection
Singularity
R.U.S.E.
Penny Arcade Combo Pack
Paradox Fantasy Pack (Majesty, Majesty 2, Elven Legacy)
Fate of the World
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Tropico 3 Gold
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
HOARD
Football Manager 2011
BIT.TRIP.RUNNER
Starscape
Borderlands GOTY
Civ V Gamersgate Retail
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Back to the Future: The Game

Half of these I only had a passing interest to make matters worse. We are women buying shoes, gentlemen.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

ToxicFrog posted:

I was able to resist getting Fallout 3 this sale. :smug:

Because I already got New Vegas and Call of Pripyat. :negative:

I think Fallout 3 was the first game I actually ever pre-ordered (not on Steam). I hated it. Didn't stop me from getting the DLC, though. :shepface:

I think I'm going to have to be careful on the last day of the sale, there are a few games on my wishlist that have been reduced, but haven't made it to any of the one day sales.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Saoshyant posted:

We are women buying shoes, gentlemen.

hmm.. good point, I will no longer hassle my wife about having 20 pairs of shoes anymore... it just wouldn't be fair.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Don Sultan posted:

I think Fallout 3 was the first game I actually ever pre-ordered (not on Steam). I hated it. Didn't stop me from getting the DLC, though. :shepface:

I think I'm going to have to be careful on the last day of the sale, there are a few games on my wishlist that have been reduced, but haven't made it to any of the one day sales.

Same here. I'm kind of hoping the Penumbra pack goes on sale, cause they've been at a discount the whole 9 days, but never a daily thing. Even if they aren't a daily, if there's nothing else I want I'll probably still end up getting them now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Saoshyant posted:

We are women buying shoes, gentlemen.

I really love this analogy. As sad as it is :smith:

In our defense, though, there's no woman complaining about $60 shoes that she only got 8 hours of wear-time out of.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Mangoose posted:

gently caress, now you made me buy S&M too! With yesterday's Aquaria debacle and this it is very clear to me that this thread isn't safe at all!

It so isn't. If you're not ready for it, it's practically a recommendations thread for MORE MORE MORE.

In entirely unrelated news, I've been grinding a bit on Everyday Shooter. I can't decide whether it's terrible or great. Which I guess means I should put it on the list of games I should consider doing if I ever do a VLP.

Morter posted:

In our defense, though, there's no woman complaining about $60 shoes that she only got 8 hours of wear-time out of.

Maybe not shoes, but I've certainly heard that for dresses - though it's less "only got 8 hours of wear-time out of" and more "I only can wear it once a year if that".

And that attitude is more GOG than Steam. :cry:

mesokilo
Feb 17, 2011
I said I'm not going to buy anything before the holiday sale, but I have failed. Grabbed the following games from the summer sale:

AI War bundle
Sanctum
Stalker CoP
Alpha Protocol (gifted)

Not too much (some of you guys are insane), but my backlog isn't shortening very quickly.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
It's the last day! And I did really well! To recap, I spent over $100 for the holiday sale in 2009, and around $30 to $40 during the previous holiday sale. This time I only spent $12.94! My haul is (ignoring the stuff I got from the ticket booth):

The Doom Pack
Beat Hazard + Ultra
Defense Grid Resurgence DLC
Yumsters 2: Around the World (Joke gift from Single Tight Female, thanks again!)

In game finishing news, I already have Doom beaten, and I think I'm in the final stretch of Doom 2.

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 10, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Recap day, yay! I might pick up Bad Company 2, and maybe Sanctum, but that's it.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.
It's the final day of the Summer Sales Week and I've bought 71 items in all.
Without these amazing deals, I'd have paid 409 dollars and 40 cents, but luckily I got away with only spending 104 dollars and 69 cents.
Thanks for taking my soul, Steam! :suicide:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm gonna post this here too.

This is like a recovering alcoholic going on vacation in Bourbon Street I swear.

Final report:

Day 1:
Oblivion Deluxe: $8.50
Recettear: $5.00
Lead and Gold: $1.50
Borderlands: Claptrap Revolution: $2.49
Back to the Future: $12.49

Day 1 Total: $29.98

Day 2 Purchases:
JC2 DLC: $.72
Lume: $2.38
Gifted:
Just Cause 2: $4.99
KOTOR: $2.50
JC2 DLC: $3.18

Day 2 Total: $13.77
Cumulative Total: $43.75

Day 3 Purchases:
Football Manager 2011: $9.99
Gifted Magicka Complete for Dawn of War 2: $8.49

Day 3 Total: $18.48
Cumulative Total: $63.23

Day 4 Purchases:
Tropico 3 Gold: $4.99
Received Frozen Synapse: $0.00
Received Torchlight: $0.00

Day 4 Total: $4.99
Cumulative Total: $68.22

Day 5 Purchases:
Serious Sam HD Gold Pack: $7.99
Recieved Bully: $0.00

Day 5 Total: $7.99
Cumulative Total: $76.21

Day 6 Purchases:
Monkey Island Bundle: $7.49
Wings of Prey: $4.50
Wings of Luftwaffe DLC: $2.25
King Arthur Collection: $4.50
Received Deus Ex: Invisible War: $0.00

Day 6 Total: $18.74
Cumulative Total: $95.01

Day 7 Purchases:
King's Bounty: Platinum Edition: $6.99
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY: $7.49

Day 7 Total: $14.48
Cumulative Total: $109.49

Day 8 Purchases:
Sanctum: $2.43
Command and Conquer 3: $6.00
Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath: $4.00

Day 8 Total: $12.43
Cumulative Total: $121.92

Day 9 Purchases:
Zombie Driver: $3.40
Worms: Reloaded + DLC: $5.48

Day 9 Total: $8.88 (WOAH)
Cumulative Total: $130.80

Day 10 Purchases:
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum: $6.79
X3: Terran Conflict: $4.99

Day 10 Total: $11.78
Cumulative Total: $142.58

Day 11 Purchases:
Children of the Nile Pack: $3.12
Freedom Force Pack: $5.01
Everyday Genius: Square Logic: $4.99
Space Rangers 2: Reboot: $9.99

Day 11 Total: $28.11
Final Total: $170.69

my backlog hates me

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ManxomeBromide posted:

In entirely unrelated news, I've been grinding a bit on Everyday Shooter. I can't decide whether it's terrible or great. Which I guess means I should put it on the list of games I should consider doing if I ever do a VLP.

I personally really like Everyday Shooter and just found out there's a Steam version. It's definitely way challenging though and I can see where the frustration might come in. Learning the rules of each level can be confusing if you're just expecting a straightforward shmup.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
I want to buy The Witcher 2, but holy Christ the requirements are steep compared to what I'm used to. I've got an 8800GTS, a step below the minimum required 8800GT. Blah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thello posted:

I want to buy The Witcher 2, but holy Christ the requirements are steep compared to what I'm used to. I've got an 8800GTS, a step below the minimum required 8800GT. Blah.

It's really CPU heavy. If you have a three or four core CPU you might be able to get away with medium settings if you overclock your GPU.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

Chief Savage Man posted:

This is like a recovering alcoholic going on vacation in Bourbon Street I swear.

Try to find out exactly how much you would have paid without the deals. It's crazy. I just went back and wrote down the original pricing for each item and added it up.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Chief Savage Man posted:

my backlog hates me

I'm not even going to post mine because it's embarrassing given my already massive backlog, but it's relatively close to this. I averaged out about $5 per game, so it could be worse, I suppose. I feel better telling myself that Steam is really the only thing I splurge on, I'm pretty frugal otherwise. :gbsmith:

But! In good news, I finished Amnesia and Aquaria and I'm now about halfway through Anomaly Warzone Earth (surprisingly fun, by the way). Apparently the alphabet method works for me.

I really want to get my backloggery unfinished percentage under 50%. That's my goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Woo! Just finished the first Bioshock on easiest going the "good" route of saving the girls instead of harvesting them. Fun game, I'll probably go through it again on a harder difficulty going the other path eventually, once I get a few more games cleared. But that's one down!

Then again, I caved in and bought the first Portal today. Still, I think I could have done worse this sale.

Here's my list from the sale:
Bioshock (beaten already)
Bioshock 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Dark Messiah Might and Magic
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Heroes of Might and Magic V pack
Just Cause
Just Cause 2
Portal
Worms Reloaded (not putting on backlogger, got it mainly for multiplayer)
Garry's Mod (not going in backlogger either)
The Sims 3 (again, not on backlogger, despite eating up a ton of time)

I believe I'll finish up Descent and then try out Just Cause, I'm in the mood for a more open-world game.