Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
and even if they somehow had convinced the publisher to try printing a book that couldn't be issued as a single paperback, there's no way the bookstores would have stood for it. i guess there's already something of a minor revolt against huge fantasy books taking up a lot of shelf space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been buying a lot of stuff from the '70s and '80s and I think people forget that you could write an entire novel in 250 pages. AND it didn't need to be volume 1 of a 14-part series.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's what he thought too, the problem is he went in with the objective of closing all the plot threads that Jordan left open

so the new guy just kept writing... and writing... and writing...

he got to about 400,000 words and realized he was maybe halfway done, and they had to split it into a trilogy because even robert jordan wouldn't have been able to get an 800,000+ word book published, his biggest book ever was just under 400K words

some other book wordcounts for comparison:

2001 A Space Odyssey: 61,487
Dune: 185,723
Battlefield Earth: 387,953
The whole Lord of the Rings trilogy: ~454,000
War and Peace: "over 560,000"
Atlas Shrugged: ~645,000
The Bible: ~775,000

yeah i'm pretty sure 350K+ words to describe a couple of days is the definition of grinding to a halt

Jesus christ Atlas Shrugged is nearly 1.5 times the size of all the lord of the rings books?

Thats why libertarians exist, because of the air tight argument "well if you'd read Atlas Shrugged". Of course I won't. Maybe I'll start a political party based off war and peace (if someone could just sumarize it for me)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

that's what he thought too, the problem is he went in with the objective of closing all the plot threads that Jordan left open

he got to about 400,000 words and realized he was maybe halfway done, and they had to split it into a trilogy because even robert jordan wouldn't have been able to get an 800,000+ word book published, his biggest book ever was just under 400K words

yeah i'm pretty sure 350K+ words to describe a couple of days is the definition of grinding to a halt

yeah see maybe once it's done if they can crank out a 100k per book abridged version i'll check it out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fuckin lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm convinced that at some point Jordan renegotiated his contract to get paid by the word

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
It seems like someone decided that longer is better and editors just stopped trying to edit books. I'm not sure when it started, was it with The Wheel of Time? Sometimes an author's books get longer as they become more famous: the first Harry Potter books were 200-300 pages, but after the series became a hit they ballooned to 600-800 pages.

It's pretty telling that LotR has less than 500k words but still feels more detailed and more believable than stuff like WoT.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Action Jacktion posted:

It's pretty telling that LotR has less than 500k words but still feels more detailed and more believable than stuff like WoT.

Tolkien spent a lot of time planning before he even began writing the books. Having poo poo like extremely detailed maps, culture histories, languages, and religions makes it very easy to keep your story consistent (and therefore believable) than if you have to try to make sit up as you go along.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Open up a george R.R Martin or Robert Jordan to a random page and I guarantee there is a description of either

a)sandalwood carvings
b)lobstered metal hauberks
c)a road

good god those books are boring.

I finished Lord of light not long ago and it was really good.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Action Jacktion posted:

It seems like someone decided that longer is better and editors just stopped trying to edit books. I'm not sure when it started, was it with The Wheel of Time? Sometimes an author's books get longer as they become more famous: the first Harry Potter books were 200-300 pages, but after the series became a hit they ballooned to 600-800 pages.

Editors have less power as authors get more popular, ie. Stephen King. Seriously, who's going to tell Stephen King his endings are poo poo?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"You know what really made these books bestsellers? The stuff that wasn't in them."

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

rotor posted:

"You know what really made these books bestsellers? The stuff that wasn't in them."

don't see why that's odd

your posting keeps getting better the less there is of it

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

golgo13sf posted:

Editors have less power as authors get more popular, ie. Stephen King. Seriously, who's going to tell Stephen King his endings are poo poo?

I will.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

golgo13sf posted:

the other reason is that editing is a time-consuming process. the next book by rowling/king/clancy/martin/jordan will sell the same whether it has 550 pages or 800 pages, so why spend a couple of months going back and forth with the author to tighten it up when those months could be used by the author to write their next best-seller. quicker turnaround = more money. also, it's easier to get people to pay $28.99 for an 800 page hardcover than a 550 page one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Currently reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. Not too bad for a fantasy novel

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Amethyst posted:

Open up a george R.R Martin or Robert Jordan to a random page and I guarantee there is a description of either

a)sandalwood carvings
b)lobstered metal hauberks
c)a road

good god those books are boring.

I finished Lord of light not long ago and it was really good.

I do love me some GRRM but apparently Storm of swords was 425,511 words which is a lot. The publisher didn't like publishing a book that big.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
yeah but they goddamn owe it after the last one :catstare:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

haveblue posted:

jesus gently caress

either mods change name or YOSPOS: Tom Swift's Shitromatic Postamatron

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i remember the whole my teacher is an alien series by bruce coville being the absolute poo poo when i was like pre-6th grade

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Anyone else like Tad Williams Otherland series? I enjoyed them but they were very slow. That's kind of his thing though, if the other series of his I have read (and enjoyed), Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is any indication.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

coaxmetal posted:

Anyone else like Tad Williams Otherland series? I enjoyed them but they were very slow. That's kind of his thing though, if the other series of his I have read (and enjoyed), Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is any indication.
I got to book 2. Another series with a promising concept utterly ruined by 10 times too many words

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shaggar posted:

Play Nightbird!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
was gonna pick up the black company this weekend but no bookstores in town have it except for an indigo a buttfuck million miles away

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

i remember the whole my teacher is an alien series by bruce coville being the absolute poo poo when i was like pre-6th grade

Retro-junior-readers postin ahead.

Anyone read The Computer that said Steal Me when they were little? It sucked. Not sci-fi, but pretty YOSPOS as the kid steals a $300 (in 1983 dollars!) Tandy-brand chess computer from a radio shack. OK, it was a Tandy/RatShack literary knockoff brand, but it's the thought that counts.

I did however devour most of William Sleator's books. I remember particularly liking Interstellar Pig and the Boy who Reversed Himself. Singularity was also great. It was about a twin with an inferiority complex that spent a year (in a single night) near a time anomaly out in the ol' farm shed to gain a year on his brother.

A box of Nothing was also pretty cool.

I'm trying to remember the name of this other book that was about a kid that found a shareware video game that sucked people into it. He teams up with the bully or something. I thought it was called "Invaders" or something, but it seems too general a search term and I haven't the foggiest about the author.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

coaxmetal posted:

I don't remember all the details but I remember loving the first book, being like "this is OK" for the second one and being super mad for like the last half of book 3 and all of book 4 but finishing it because "hell, I've already read most of it"

I read the first two Shadowmarch books and they were interesting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
didn't read otherland but did read a tad williams book which was your basic heroic fantasy story except all the characters were cats and woodland creatures. not anthropomorphized either, just animals (who could talk but that's it)

"tailchaser's song" iirc

william sleator owned

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Antillese posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of this other book that was about a kid that found a shareware video game that sucked people into it. He teams up with the bully or something. I thought it was called "Invaders" or something, but it seems too general a search term and I haven't the foggiest about the author.
Space Demons? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Demons

Anyway I'm nearly done with Jack Vance's Lyonesse series and I didn't really like it. Sorry. But by all means read The Dying Earth books.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Kirk posted:

was gonna pick up the black company this weekend but no bookstores in town have it except for an indigo a buttfuck million miles away

how long did it take you to finish dune? i am through just over half right now (reading for my first time also!!)

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

iamthejeff posted:

how long did it take you to finish dune? i am through just over half right now (reading for my first time also!!)

idk i read the first half on a camping trip and then the second half sporadically across a week or two

probably a grand total of 7-8hrs?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

holla

i only got to read up to the point where this one kid goes into space to join some big space police force

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

Space Demons? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Demons

Yup, that's it. Never read any of the sequels though. Hilarious that you were able to ID it based on my crappy description.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
has anyone said peter f hamilton yet because peter f hamilton owns and his books own and his characters own

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
l ron hubbard

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
1 iron cupboard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

1 iron cupboard

L. RONS TAX WRITEOFF

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I was gonna go to H.Ps LOVE CRAFTER for a while

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Sniep posted:

l ron hubbard

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

The reader's list of 100 best novels is pretty bad: 4 ayn rand and 3 l ron hubbard in the top 10.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Space Core Directive #592

In an emergency situation involving two or more officers of equal rank, seniority will be granted to whichever officer can program a VCR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

Space Core Directive #592

In an emergency situation involving two or more officers of equal rank, seniority will be granted to whichever officer can program a VCR.

this is an actual quote from a terry pratchett novel isnt it

• Locked thread