Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
I always thought that Sheppard was way smarter than he let on. He'd actually shut McKay up on many occasions with his logic. eg. "But... what? Yea.. I guess you're ... right."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

vandelay industries posted:

I always thought that Sheppard was way smarter than he let on. He'd actually shut McKay up on many occasions with his logic. eg. "But... what? Yea.. I guess you're ... right."

He is way smarter than he lets on, he was invited to Mensa because his IQ was so high but turned them down. He also several times spouted off the answer to a mathematical calculation in seconds, while Rodney was still trying to figure it out. I think he hid it because being too smart is often ground upon in military combat positions.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Minimaul posted:

I finished SG-1 over the weekend and watched both movies. The movies were OK, basically feature length episodes, but decent over all. I really dug the series itself a lot more than I thought, as I said before. I started Atlantis and I'm just about half-way through season 1. It's average so far, but still early in the show so I'll keep on trucking. I'm not expecting anything super spectacular but I'm sure it'll hold my interest if it's anything similar to SG-1.

Atlantis has probably the largest pitched space battle in the entire Stargate franchise, and it's pretty much the show where we really get to see the technological insanity humanity is capable of (especially when it comes to creative applications of nuclear weaponry).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Polaron posted:

Atlantis has probably the largest pitched space battle in the entire Stargate franchise, and it's pretty much the show where we really get to see the technological insanity humanity is capable of (especially when it comes to creative applications of nuclear weaponry).

Also the ancients where huge assholes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Travelers were such Firefly rip offs right down to their engineer being a young spunky girl.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The Travelers were such Firefly rip offs right down to their engineer being a young spunky girl.

Also threw some Battlestar in there for good measure. A shame they didn't show up more often, only having decent screentime in the super-duper space battle and the terrible rogue Asgard 2-parter if I recall.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jill Wagner is also one of the hottest women in Stargate history. I bet they would have been around in season 6.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Polaron posted:

The creative usage of transporters was probably my favorite thing in Atlantis. The Asgard hand humans transporter technology but not weapons figuring it's a nice non-risky gift to a growing race. Humans weaponize it in about five minutes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
McKay's character growth was so nice in Atlantis. :unsmith:

General Emergency posted:

The creative usage of transporters was probably my favorite thing in Atlantis. The Asgard hand humans transporter technology but not weapons figuring it's a nice non-risky gift to a growing race. Humans weaponize it in about five minutes.

I love how Hermiod bitches about it endlessly.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So I just watched the new Eureka and I totally forgot that Major Lorne is the robot sheriff, and his character is pretty funny. Nice to see him getting some work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And Ming-Na's being typecast into yet another annoying committee leader.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Polaron posted:

Cool, something to look forward to then.

I went back and re-read most of the thread. Looks like one of the episodes I fell asleep through happened to be Teal'c going to the Vagina Monologues. So bummed I missed that. I watched it on Youtube... but it's just not the same. Also fell asleep last night on Part 1 of the season 1 Atlantis ending. Whoops. Good thing it recaps the episode at the start of part 2.

edit: I also totally had a crush on Dr. Frasier.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minimaul posted:

edit: I also totally had a crush on Dr. Frasier.

Hell yeah, forever this. Also the catholic school mom comment about Weir is so accurate it's eerie, I always wondered what made her so hot in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Alphas premiere is Syfy's most-watched debut in two years (2.5 million viewers, 0.9 males 18-49). Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas all averaged over 2 million viewers each, making it Syfy's highest Monday time period for programming in over 10 years.

Source: TV by the Numbers

Siffy Execs: "gently caress Stargate, Battlestar, or anything with space ships"

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alphas was horrible.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

General Emergency posted:

This reminded me of a great "Brewster Rocket" comic:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Alphas was horrible.

So was Lexx, doesn't stop goons singing it's praises all the time.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Lexx had Eva Habermann and lots of nudity. What does Alphas have? :colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eva was only in the first four episodes. All the others have some other German knockoff with a lifeboat in her face.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

NOBODY sings its praises; we all, who have seen it, admit it is TERRIBLE, but sometimes it's tolerable due to the complete insanity of it and fun therein.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

ParagonParadox27 posted:

NOBODY sings its praises; we all, who have seen it, admit it is TERRIBLE, but sometimes it's tolerable due to the complete insanity of it and fun therein.

When showering, I find myself singing the Brunnen-G chant. I don't know why.

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen-G

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I love the bit in Citizen Joe when it's revealed that Jack's been seeing bits of the other guy's life too for the past seven years and never even bothered to mention it to anyone.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, it was boring. Dude's a barber. I wouldn't bring it up, either.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I liked Lexx, you assholes can go straight to hell. :colbert:

(I liked it because it was so twisted)

Effingham posted:

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen-G

I still know most of the songs from Brigadoom. :q:

Also, I watched Hobo With a Shotgun with some friends the other day, and asked out loud "Why Is Stanley Tweedle the bad guy??". My buds asked me who Stanley Tweedle was, and I just pretended it was nothing.

(whew)

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Effingham posted:

Yo ay yo
Hum va ray
Hyo ay rah
Jarum Brunnen-G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYoq6sovr8Y

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I liked Lexx, you assholes can go straight to hell. :colbert:

(I liked it because it was so twisted)

I still know most of the songs from Brigadoom. :q:

Also, I watched Hobo With a Shotgun with some friends the other day, and asked out loud "Why Is Stanley Tweedle the bad guy??". My buds asked me who Stanley Tweedle was, and I just pretended it was nothing.

(whew)

The twistedness is a least kinda interesting, especially in the first two movies. It's not so much that life is cheap in that setting, but life is utterly and absolutely worthless. Feeding Pattern is unwatchably bad. It's not even boring, it's got no narrative, nothing makes any goddamn sense.

The Brunnen-G chant is wicked cool though, as is the opening where their planet is just casually genocided.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah Lexx is a weird show, not just the obvious aspects of it but how extreme the quality of episodes/seasons vary. A lot of the mini-series was actually interesting if not extremely bleak, I agree with the other poster that no other show had such a cynical fictional universe.

I thought season 3 was a bit under-rated, fire was a pretty great setting and Prince was a great villain. It was uneven like everything in Lexx, but everything at last on fire was at least interesting. Also, I like the trial episode and the slow little bits of Stanley's character development through out the series. Also, there was an episode in the season 2 that dealt with homosexuality, which pretty drat rare at the time.

Of course when Lexx is bad (about 80% of the time) it is really bad.

I guess this thread has become a general cancelled scifi channel show thread. I really like the Invisible Man, it seemed under-rated. Also, remember when the Scifi when it was first the air had some kind of decent original stuff that was more scifi and not monster of the week focused?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 15, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm actually just happy that people other than myself have seen Lexx.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The twistedness is a least kinda interesting, especially in the first two movies. It's not so much that life is cheap in that setting, but life is utterly and absolutely worthless. Feeding Pattern is unwatchably bad. It's not even boring, it's got no narrative, nothing makes any goddamn sense.

The Brunnen-G chant is wicked cool though, as is the opening where their planet is just casually genocided.

Oh God, I forgot about Feeding Pattern. :gonk:

Ardennes posted:

I thought season 3 was a bit under-rated, fire was a pretty great setting and Prince was a great villain. It was uneven like everything in Lexx, but everything at last on fire was at least interesting. Also, I like the trial episode and the slow little bits of Stanley's character development through out the series. Also, there was an episode in the season 2 that dealt with homosexuality, which pretty drat rare at the time.

Of course when Lexx is bad (about 80% of the time) it is really bad.

Season 3 was fine, it was just dragged out way too long, and the less said about S4, the better.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I stand by my claim that season three of Lexx was merely one gigantic episode. You could severely edit that season down to at least half the length and have a pretty gripping miniseries. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was only supposed to be a couple of episodes but just spiralled outwards into.. that.

And yeah, Feeding Pattern was bad. Gigashadow was great. Probably the best of the movies. The universe is saved by a baby clusterlizard. :3:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And yeah, Feeding Pattern was bad. Gigashadow was great. Probably the best of the movies. The universe is saved by a baby clusterlizard. :3:

All hail Squish! Savior of the two Universes!

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Apparently they have a bunch of stuff to sell still - this was just linked to on facebook:
http://stores.ebay.com/VIP-AUCTIONS/_i.html?_fsub=2767108011

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Coffee Wolf posted:

Apparently they have a bunch of stuff to sell still - this was just linked to on facebook:
http://stores.ebay.com/VIP-AUCTIONS/_i.html?_fsub=2767108011

The communication stones and kino would be awesome. Just not $800 awesome.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

I'd buy the stones just so I could smash them with a sledgehammer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flatscan posted:

We could make a party out of that.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Flatscan posted:

We'll see who's laughing when you find out they're real and you get stuck living your life as Eli Wallace.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

drcru posted:

We'll see who's laughing when you find out they're real and you get stuck living your life as Eli Wallace.

Or worse yet, you get stuck living the live of the C-list actor that played Eli Wallace.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

The Pebbler posted:

Or worse yet, you get stuck living the live of the C-list actor that played Eli Wallace.

I think being Chloe would probably be worse.

The Pebbler
Nov 22, 2006

by T. Finn

drcru posted:

I think being Chloe would probably be worse.

At least you would lose a lot of weight + gain a vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

The Pebbler posted:

At least you would lose a lot of weight + gain a vagina.

Pretty sure having a vagina wouldn't be any fun. Wouldn't mind losing a few pounds though!