Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Will is Int right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Maybe I should quit, I'm in New Game 7 and still level 120, summoning blue phantoms to watch them get raped by monsters is pretty mean.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Megalixir posted:

Maybe I should quit, I'm in New Game 7 and still level 120, summoning blue phantoms to watch them get raped by monsters is pretty mean.

I dunno, that sounds pretty hilarious to me.

The Meat Cleaver has an S in both DEX and STR, am I right in thinking I'd be best off pushing those two to 30-ish? At the moment my character has..

V 17
W 14
E 28
S 28
D 30
M 10
F 16
L 6

Which puts me at SL 70.

Any problems there either? I don't want to mess my character up ):, I've mostly just been doing what makes sense to me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You could use more vitality. The cleaver does have an S in both strength and dex, not all Ses are the same though and it actually gains slightly more from dex than strength. With diminished returns though yeah, dex to 20 then strength to 20, dex to 30 then strength to 30, like that if all you were worried about was cleaver damage.

My meat cleaver guy had this at 120:

V 48
W 18
E 40
S 26
D 40
M 6 (deleveled after getting my spells)
F 16

I basically gave up a teensy bit of cleaver damage for bow damage (sticky compound long bow) and the option to use Sharp weapons better.

Leyburn posted:

Will is Int right?

Yeah. The translation is different depending on which version you have but it's the same stat.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 11, 2011

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Read posted:

I dunno, that sounds pretty hilarious to me.

It's funny but at this point I'm just trolling. People being summoned in the 120 range expect the game to be NG+, not NG7. To set the tone, a mini phalanx spear does something around 1000 HP of damage.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

I managed to completely avoid the False King by just staying at mid to long-range and constantly dodging to the right to avoid his attacks, then I'd rush in get 1-3 hits on him (I was using a Blessed Mirdan Hammer) and immediately roll directly backward and start the whole process over again. Obviously it's going to be harder with a sword or shorter range weapon, so maybe just use your R2 piercing stab and then get back out of there.

At range his attacks are really easy to avoid, just don't get greedy and rush in for too much punishment. The only time he managed to do anything to me in a fight was soulsuck me because I got greedy on a combo. He never landed a single actual blow though, so just keep him at range and keep moving to the side/away.

This is pretty much what I did but I used strong attacks with the Blueblood Sword. Only got hit by him a couple times. The first few times I was fighting him he soulsucked me about 4 times. Only took 7 times to come up with a decent strategy...

A couple of questions; why does everyone talk about soul level 120? Is that the final level? And if you and a friend were playing and wanted to summon him to your game how would you go about that? Since so far everyone is just the same apparition running through the worlds would you just have to get lucky? I don't know much about online yet.

Also the Male-Female slider in the character creation menu has to be one of the funniest/best features in any game for making characters.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

AuntJemima posted:

A couple of questions; why does everyone talk about soul level 120? Is that the final level? And if you and a friend were playing and wanted to summon him to your game how would you go about that? Since so far everyone is just the same apparition running through the worlds would you just have to get lucky? I don't know much about online yet.
SL 120 is the most common PVP level, so if you're looking to invade a lot or be invaded you'll want to stop around there.

The max level is 8 * 99 (8 attributes each maxing out at level 99) making 792.

The multiplayer is divided into PVP and co-op modes.

A player can attempt to invade a world by placing down a "Black Eye Stone" (PVP mode) in the world they wish to invade, if successful they can track down the player (randomly chosen from within +/- 10 levels + 10% of their own soul level) who's world they invaded and kill them.

Alternatively a player can choose to set down a "Blue Eye Stone" (Co-op) with the same level range restrictions, but whereas the invaded player has no choice in the matter for PVP, the "host" has to choose to summon a blue phantom by interacting with the sign their blue eye stone creates in the world (wherever they placed it). Blue phantoms can play through the level with you, helping you defeat monsters and even going into the boss with you.

Both of these require that the "host" player be in body form and the player setting down the stone be in soul form.

When a player is invaded the message "<PSN ID> has invaded!!!" appears, and when interacting with a blue soul sign to summon someone their PSN ID also appears.

e: You receive the Black Eye Stone as loot from your first Black Phantom kill, player or otherwise. Blue and White Eye Stones are received following the Phalanx boss battle and a "Red Eye Stone" allowing for consensual duels between players can be obtained but the method to do so is rather spoilery.

If you want to play with your friend I suggest agreeing on a time, world and place for one of you to set down your blue eye stone. Preferably somewhere out of the way so someone else won't summon one of you.

More detail on Demon's Souls online features.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 12, 2011

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I never turn on my PS3 except to make sure it still works (I won it at a wedding) but Dark Souls has me very interested in actually using the thing. Do you think I would be missing out if I passed up on Demon Souls before I played Dark Souls? From what I can tell, Dark Souls just looks 100% better in every area so as someone with a huge PC game backlog that has no shortage of games to play, do you think I need to play both games to really enjoy Dark Souls?

PS: I like pain.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

I never turn on my PS3 except to make sure it still works (I won it at a wedding) but Dark Souls has me very interested in actually using the thing. Do you think I would be missing out if I passed up on Demon Souls before I played Dark Souls? From what I can tell, Dark Souls just looks 100% better in every area so as someone with a huge PC game backlog that has no shortage of games to play, do you think I need to play both games to really enjoy Dark Souls?

As far as plot goes, you won't be missing out on anything as the games don't share a contiguous plot or even universe for that matter.

If you have the opportunity though, I'd recommend you at least try it out. It's a very unique game and having played it I can barely wait for Dark Souls to come out. If the idea of Dark Souls appeals to you, I'm sure Demon's Souls will be worth playing.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 12, 2011

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Raskolnikov posted:

Since Dark is supposed to be harder it would not make a bad warm up. I just bought a PS3 for demon's souls/Dark souls and Disgaea 3/4 (going to use it for other games too but they were the reason I felt it was worth $250 on the console. Anyway Demon's souls is extremely brutal. I enjoy a good challenge and the game is kicking my rear end. I figured it would be hard but gently caress is it hard. I'm still loving every moment though.

Plot wise they have nothing in common from what I've read. You can get a greatest hit's copy for $20 at least see if you enjoy it before dropping $60.

e: extremely happy with my Demon's souls purchase and if I had played it some place instead of just read about it and waited for a good deal on a PS3 I would have bought one much sooner. The game is worth the price of buying the console. It is that good, and I'm barely into it. Oh god why do I like dying so much?

pixaal fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 12, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm going to third that recommendation. You should give Demon's Souls a try, if only to make sure that Dark Souls is something you'd really like to play. The controls and gameplay can be awkward at first which can be fairly off-putting to some (I've had a few friends that put Demon's Souls down because they didn't like the control scheme and its style of combat), but if you find yourself getting the hang of it then you'll at least have the controls down pat when Dark Souls rolls around.

So this post isn't completely redundant, I have question: I recently rolled a Faith build and I got up to 4-2, but I keep getting my rear end handed to me by the two Golden Skeletons and the flying stingrays on my way to the second Reaper. I'm running a pure melee build (with the +1 Blessed Mace) and don't have a ranged weapon, and every time I try to attack the skeletons I either get overwhelmed, guard broken and killed or the stingrays hitstun me then I get throttled. Is there a better way to do this or should I just bite the bullet, get some arrows and do a ranged strategy?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

So this post isn't completely redundant, I have question: I recently rolled a Faith build and I got up to 4-2, but I keep getting my rear end handed to me by the two Golden Skeletons and the flying stingrays on my way to the second Reaper. I'm running a pure melee build (with the +1 Blessed Mace) and don't have a ranged weapon, and every time I try to attack the skeletons I either get overwhelmed, guard broken and killed or the stingrays hitstun me then I get throttled. Is there a better way to do this or should I just bite the bullet, get some arrows and do a ranged strategy?

The Storm Beasts can be a real nuisance, so you're going to want a bow to deal with them. You can find a Compound Long Bow (Which you can make into a +5 Sticky Compound Long Bow, the best bow in the game) in 4-1 and it's dropped by the skeleton archers in 4-2, but if you can't wield that there's always the short bow.

As for the Golden Skeletons, provided you've dealt with the normal skeletons before them, it's best to try and isolate one of the golden skeletons to deal with at a time (get them to notice you and start chasing you, then run away, the difference in distance between the two of them should mean you can get one to forget about you while the other follows. There's an area bordered by a fence before the golden skeletons, I usually drag them up to there to deal with them.

vv: I completely forgot about that, the thief's ring should stop the stingrays from attacking you. It's worth noting that Skeletons are weak to blunt damage, so he'll probably do more damage with his Blessed Mace unless he has something capable of dealing high magic damage.

Read fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2011

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'm going to third that recommendation. You should give Demon's Souls a try, if only to make sure that Dark Souls is something you'd really like to play. The controls and gameplay can be awkward at first which can be fairly off-putting to some (I've had a few friends that put Demon's Souls down because they didn't like the control scheme and its style of combat), but if you find yourself getting the hang of it then you'll at least have the controls down pat when Dark Souls rolls around.

Cast warding/regen/second chance, two-hand a normal-speed or fast weapon that does a swinging arc of damage, roll into them and cut them up. I did this with the blueblood sword.

I also can't imagine playing this game sans a bow. That's pretty badass.

Are you wearing the thief's ring? I never have stingray problems at that area.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

redreader posted:

Cast warding/regen/second chance, two-hand a normal-speed or fast weapon that does a swinging arc of damage, roll into them and cut them up. I did this with the blueblood sword.

I also can't imagine playing this game sans a bow. That's pretty badass.

Are you wearing the thief's ring? I never have stingray problems at that area.

Thief's Ring eh? No wonder that area's been giving me more trouble than usual. I usually keep the Thief's Ring on, but I went whole-hog with the Faith build and I've stuck the Regenerator's Ring as soon as I got it. Thanks for the advice, Read and redreader.

Also, trying to beat the game without a bow is something of a challenge. The last time I played through the game, I went the super-cowardly route and made a Dex/Magic build with the Clever Rat's Ring and Morion Blade and the closest I ever got to actual melee combat was behind a Purple Flame Shield and Moon Winged Spear. After cheesing the game in the worst way I could, I figured I might as well go full melee.

As it turns out, I've discovered that the shove (forward + R1) is far, far more useful than I thought it was. It's made dealing with Blue Eyed Knights, Silver Skeletons, and basically any humanoid enemy that has a shield or a guard-breaking attack with a long wind-up much easier to deal with instead of just dancing around and baiting out their attacks.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You could buy some kunai from Blige back at the start of 4-2. They should let you draw one skeleton out at a time without allowing you to cheese them with the damage/range of a bow. You're going to be trying to pull single foes from packs just using the alert range anyway so to save yourself the whole "inch forward, inch forward, inch forward, okay backup backup backup" game having a few throwing weapons around is handy.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Jetpack Postman posted:

As it turns out, I've discovered that the shove (forward + R1) is far, far more useful than I thought it was. It's made dealing with Blue Eyed Knights, Silver Skeletons, and basically any humanoid enemy that has a shield or a guard-breaking attack with a long wind-up much easier to deal with instead of just dancing around and baiting out their attacks.

With the right timing, you can make the silver skeletons roll into your shove. It's a really effective tactic, and hilariously anticlimactic as well. They come up to you with this hyper-active roll and you calmly push them and hit them once, which kills them immediately.

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007

Read posted:

SL 120 is the most common PVP level, so if you're looking to invade a lot or be invaded you'll want to stop around there.

Thanks!

This is easily one of my favourite games for the PS3. Had it for almost a year now but never got into it until a couple weeks ago.

I died so many times at the False King I had about 300 000 souls when I beat him and was pretty excited to spend it on some soul levels. Too bad you can't after you beat him.. I could of waited for the NG+ but all my worlds were in White Tendency so I wanted to do all the events for those first. I got the colourless demon soul on that beam in 1-1 and couldn't figure out how to get back down so I died. No problem, this time I will get the evacuation spell, grab my blood stain and warp out. At the first beam where you have to fall to get to the lower one I missed it and died. That could of been about 7 soul levels for me.

Oh well maybe 300 000 souls will be easy to obtain in NG+.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I'm looking for a single pure greystone. If anyone has one to spare, that would be awesome. I have a bunch of crap I can trade, include pure stones of any kind except blade or faint. Hell I'll give you two pure anything for a single pure greystone. I will give you a lot of poo poo in fact, whatever you want stone wise, I am really generous.

If anyone has one they'd like to trade let me know in this thread or pm me. Or PSN message me or some poo poo, I just got a ps3 and have never really played online at all, but my psn name is boondibis I guess you can message me there however that works.

I know there have to at least be a few of you guys with duped ones, so someones gotta have like a ton to spare! I don't care if its duped or not, I just need me a crushing upgrade! Been farming the rock worms with the sword of searching for days now, no luck. And I missed getting white tendency on world two this playthrough and I can't grab the DBS to show to that guy for the stone either.

edit: vvv Oops, sorry, Like I said I haven't played online much, my fault.

I'm soul level 83 on the USA version.

Damo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 12, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
It would help if you told people your SL and what version of the game you have (Asian, NA, or Europe).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

evilalien posted:

It would help if you told people your SL and what version of the game you have (Asian, NA, or Europe).

I have pure greystone but need this info. I have it on a sl20 character and I think one of my sl120 characters. North America.

Edit: out of soul range. Once you're at 100 if you still don't have it message me and I'll do what I can. My psn is identical to my SA name.

raton fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 12, 2011

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Sheep-Goats posted:

Edit: out of soul range. Once you're at 100 if you still don't have it message me and I'll do what I can. My psn is identical to my SA name.

I have a crapload of eatable souls saved up that I havent used....think like every soul drop in single player ever. I've never used one. Maybe even enough to get to a hundred with some grinding, perhaps I'll try.

Honestly though I'm just not sure yet where my build is going or else I probably would have spent all those souls already. Can't decide what the best way to go is. I was thinking STR but I have been wavering recently.

I like magic as wel, but it seems that my compound long bow +10 or lava bow with white/heavy arrows have pretty much made magic useless in comparison now. I really like swords and huge swords/polearms/axes/maces/etc too which is why I thought strength. However some of these faith or maigc builds look interesting, and the blessed/dragon/crescent/moon weapons and stuff seem useful with their magic/fire damage, or hp/mp regen, and big magic or faith stat boost. Seems like just going STR with crushing weapons is boring since all you get is the high STR synergy. With the faith/magic stuff you get all the added sword effects, PLUS get to have a lot more spells or miracles...all while doing just as much damage with your melee stuff. Seems like a better deal, am I wrong?

I like swords and bows basically. I want to like magic but it seems useless compared to bows Swords with regen and magic damage seem cool to me, although I'd like to be able to use big gently caress of swords and hammers and stuff too. Maybe some armor when I want to look like a badass knight. Those are my desires.

currently I'm at these stats: (royalty starting class)
31 vit
24 int
27 end
26 str
16 dex
16 magic
16 faith
7 luck

Rocking usually either the makoto and adjudicaters shield, or purple shield and a crescent falchion (all that stuff has been upgraded)

tl;dl I can't decide which stat to make my main dump stat for damage. I was thinking str but it seems like there are so many other cool things (like magic dmg/regen/etc) that using crushing weapons doesnt get. And it seems like there aren't a lot of cool uniques or weapons in general that use STR for stat boost. Plus faith/int builds get more spells in addition to good melee.

Anyone have any suggestions which way to go with my build based on what I described?

Damo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 13, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Damo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions which way to go with my build based on what I described?

From the looks of your stats and your desire to roll with big gently caress-off swords and hammers, I'd suggest a strength build that uses Cursed Weapon. Raise Vitality, Endurance and Strength to around 40 (You can have Strength closer to 50 if you'd like) and keep all your other stats the same. Weapons don't get much bigger and gently caress-off-ier than a Dragon Bone Smasher or a Crushing Great Sword and combining Cursed Weapon's 50% damage increase with high strength for either of those weapons is very devastating. Keep a Regnerator's Ring or Adjudicator's Shield around to offset the health drain from Cursed Weapon and you'll be good to go.

As far as alternative damage is concerned, I would just grab a Dragon Long Sword or Moon Winged Spear as a contingency. There aren't too many enemies that heavily resist physical AND magic or fire, so having a decent back-up weapon that doesn't heavily rely on stats is good enough to deal with those situations when they come up.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
OK cool that sounds like a good build for STR. If I go that way I'll use your template there.

I like the big swords, but the more I think about it perhaps they are just not practical to use all the time. They just swing so slow, it seems like I'd be open to too much attack. If I can get almost the same damage out of a faith/magic build, the added magic/fire damage and regen and poo poo seems like it would be more useful. Although, a STR build isnt just limited to the giant stuff I guess.

Which would you suggest when it comes to Faith/magic builds? It seems to me faith might be more useful? Bunch of defensive and useful miracles, good damage boost with blessed weapons, plus with a bow I wouldn't need offensive magic much anyway.

I know I have 26 str already so it makes sense to keep going in that direction, but if the faith/magic builds are more useful I don't care about switching over and just grinding a shitload of souls out to make up for it. So I just wanna know what the better build is, str vs faith/magic

What do you think?

Damo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 13, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Damo posted:

I'm looking for a single pure greystone.

I'm soul level 83 on the USA version.

I'm almost positive I have one, on one of my characters. how do you get it again? Show the dragonbone smasher to that guy? I did that. And I'm in range of you. if you'll help me move items it's yours

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Krinkle posted:

I'm almost positive I have one, on one of my characters. how do you get it again? Show the dragonbone smasher to that guy? I did that. And I'm in range of you. if you'll help me move items it's yours

Yeah, sure. You'd have to tell me exactly what you need me to do since I'm a total newb with the online stuff but I'll help out.

psn name is boondibis

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Damo posted:

Which would you suggest when it comes to Faith/magic builds? It seems to me faith might be more useful? Bunch of defensive and useful miracles, good damage boost with blessed weapons, plus with a bow I wouldn't need offensive magic much anyway. What do you think?

For what you're looking for, I'd say that a Faith build would be more your style. The build is basically the same as the Strength one, just bring your Faith up to 40 instead of your Strength. A Faith build won't necessarily give you the same damage output as a Strength/Dex-based weapon with Cursed weapon, but holding onto a maxed out Blessed Mirdan Hammer, Adjudicator's Shield and Regenerator's Ring will make it so you can regenerate whatever damage you take. You'll also end up shrugging a lot of Magic damage off thanks to the magic defense a high Faith stat gives.

I'd still suggest holding onto a Dragon or Physical-damage based weapon, since there are some enemies (mainly in World 4) that are really resistant to Magic damage and trying to take them down with a Blessed weapon makes them much more difficult to kill.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You have a but too much intelligence for a strength build but a bit too much strength for a dex or magic build. However, you have several possibilities for combo or hybrid builds. Before I describe them be aware that the only real propose to builds is for pvp. If yours is just a pvm character you have more options because AI monsters aren't as tough as humans.

One possibility you have that your character fits well for is a large weapon mage. Typically that means bumping int to 30, magic to 40, leaving endurance at 30 and putting what you have to spare in vit. You'll use the insanity catalyst and dark silver shield in your left hand and a kris +5 and a large weapon in your right. This is a better combo than it seems as the big weapons have good range and knockdown which pares well with the needs of a caster. I actually want to make a character almost exactly like that and would probably use a Moon Great Sword +5 (works best one handed actually). Moon Great Axe is also an option for the rolling two handed R2, and I've seen Moon Crescent Axes before.

You can also go with two more points in Dex and use dual uchis, but you don't have a good option for your damage stat there. There are six points in int more than you need for any raw melee build which isn't terrible but is a bit much.

You're a bit scattered for a faith build but could make it okay there as well, just with 30 endurance instead of the usual 40 and 40 vit instead of the usual 50 (for faith builds).

As for bows vs magic bows are more cheesy, yeah, but magic is more versatile and an awful lot more fun. Also all of your good magic spells are had from boss souls, not the crap you can just buy, and magic really shines once you put on your monk hat and a damage boosting ring or two and put the kris in your other hand. I one shotted Maneater in NG+ for redreader using that setup and that same character does 900 damage with one ignite vs some human foes which is almost as much as a backstab with the Northern Regalia.

For backup weapons many of my characters have a Moon Halberd + whatever (Old King fight, world 2), a Dragon Knight Sword (worlds 3, 4, and 5), and often a Crescent Estoc (for when I want to be a turtle). Of these the one handed dragon weapon is the most versatile -- if the character doesn't have the 16 strength for the knight sword I go with a long or even short sword, but if they have the strength I always go for knight over long, it's a significant improvement.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 13, 2011

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Good advice... thank you. About the 24 int, yeah I knew at the time I was giving it 6 more than really needed for melee, but I thought what the hell since apparently there is no level cap. I didn't realize that if you want to play with people you should stay soul level 120 (is it 120?). So I guess I do have a limited amount of points left to spend.

I'm not sure how much I want to get into the pvp thing anyway, but I guess if I tune my build that way first I always have the option of saying gently caress it and boost my level past 120 whenever I want. There is also the de-leveling business but I dont even know how that works.

Large weapon mage sounds pretty cool and in line with my stats. I think I might go that way. My initial desire was for a sore of battle mage anyway, so this sounds pretty much exactly what I wanted. Is it really a good viable pvp build or is it just the best I can do with the stupid way I've spent my stats so far? I'd rather not get worked all the time, heh.

Also, is 120 soul level where I should stop?

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Damo posted:

Words

Oh, so you wanted to do PvP? My bad then; I should've asked you to clarify. Yeah, go with Sheep-Goat's advice. You'll want to stop around SL 120, but a little higher or lower shouldn't hurt you that badly. 120 seems to be the popular stopping point and the limit on who you can interact with is +/- 10 levels from you, though I'd be happy if someone corrected me if having a slightly higher soul level does matter that much. Sorry if I ended up steering you the wrong way for a bit there.

The only thing I disagree with Sheep-Goats though is with the Dragon Knight Sword. The difference in power between the Knight Sword and the Long Sword is negligible (only nine points of physical/fire attack, which is practically nothing) and you can pick up a Dragon Long Sword in 2-2. Building up a Knight Sword isn't that much of a drain on resources, but it's really not worth going out of your way to do when there's a much more convenient alternative.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jetpack Postman posted:

Oh, so you wanted to do PvP? My bad then; I should've asked you to clarify. Yeah, go with Sheep-Goat's advice. You'll want to stop around SL 120, but a little higher or lower shouldn't hurt you that badly. 120 seems to be the popular stopping point and the limit on who you can interact with is +/- 10 levels from you, though I'd be happy if someone corrected me if having a slightly higher soul level does matter that much. Sorry if I ended up steering you the wrong way for a bit there.

You're actually allowed +/- 10 + 10% of your soul level, so at 120 that makes your range 98 to 144.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Jetpack Postman posted:

Oh, so you wanted to do PvP?

It's not that I want to do pvp per se, it's just that I figure most any build will work in PvE. So, I figure if I find a build that's good for both I have the option of messing around online as well as normal play. Also just trying to find what will work best given the stats I have. That way if I want I can stay around SL120 and mess around with pvp, and if I dont want to Ill move on and just keep maxing out all my stats.

Damo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 13, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jetpack Postman posted:

The only thing I disagree with Sheep-Goats though is with the Dragon Knight Sword. The difference in power between the Knight Sword and the Long Sword is negligible (only nine points of physical/fire attack, which is practically nothing) and you can pick up a Dragon Long Sword in 2-2. Building up a Knight Sword isn't that much of a drain on resources, but it's really not worth going out of your way to do when there's a much more convenient alternative.

Knight sword also has maybe 20 or 30 percent more range.

Large weapon mage is certainly pvp viable. It's not an autowin build though (dual sharp katanas, cursed dragon bone smasher, or blessed great axe are the major offenders in that category, plus most mirdan hammer or war schythe builds which rightly draw ridicule in pvp matchups as being op and brain dead of use) and takes a lot of experimentation to really figure out. It does transition back to pvm really nicely though as you already have the stats to use a wide variety of equipment and magic, giving you a way to surmount any AI obstacle with relative ease -- not all pvp builds can say that.

Edit: Previous post has a typo. The Great Axe's attack par excellance is the rolling two handed R1, not R2. It's also known as the "ground pound."

raton fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 13, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Damo posted:

I sent you a PM, when do you want to try this?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I didn't realize you were supposed to fight the Penetrator with Biorr ):, I almost died fighting him.
vv: Why would you not bring Biorr? Am I missing something?

Read fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 13, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

I didn't realize you were supposed to fight the Penetrator with Biorr ):, I almost died fighting him.

On the other hand, I feel that many people don't realize you're supposed to nearly die while fighting Penetrator, and instead let Biorr join in as well.

Edit: I found a pretty good video of a large weapon mage doing pvp to give you and idea of how you win fights. FWIW he's using the same spell set I would (firestorm is kinda cheap especially when used with greatsword) and the crescent axe -- the greatsword works a little differently from the crescent axe but you'll see how to use that enough as it uses the same moveset as the Dragon Bone Smasher and you'll run into plenty of guys using a DBS. If you wanted to replicate the video exactly you'd use a Moon Great Axe instead of the Moon Crescent Axe the guy is using below as the critical move is the rolling one and the Great Axe is stronger. It also has a good two handed R1 spam combo that, despite how slow it looks, has stunlock for the first two and sometimes even three swings which amounts to an assload of damage if it connects (usually an insta-kill if using a cursed axe on a strength build or something like that, with a moon axe on a mage it'll probably break Second Chance but probably won't kill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bz6jE14f0c

raton fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 13, 2011

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Edit: I found a pretty good video of a large weapon mage doing pvp to give you and idea of how you win fights. FWIW he's using the same spell set I would (firestorm is kinda cheap especially when used with greatsword) and the crescent axe -- the greatsword works a little differently from the crescent axe but you'll see how to use that enough as it uses the same moveset as the Dragon Bone Smasher and you'll run into plenty of guys using a DBS. If you wanted to replicate the video exactly you'd use a Moon Great Axe instead of the Moon Crescent Axe the guy is using below as the critical move is the rolling one and the Great Axe is stronger. It also has a good two handed R1 spam combo that, despite how slow it looks, has stunlock for the first two and sometimes even three swings which amounts to an assload of damage if it connects (usually an insta-kill if using a cursed axe on a strength build or something like that, with a moon axe on a mage it'll probably break Second Chance but probably won't kill).

Does the crescent axe also come with hyper-armor? If not, that's a significant advantage of the great axe.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Read posted:

On my first play through I killed Biorr for his armor. Probably not the best idea, though.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Eerkik posted:

On my first play through I killed Biorr for his armor. Probably not the best idea, though.

How could you, I felt bad just watching my friend kill Yuria.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Read posted:

How could you, I felt bad just watching my friend kill Yuria.
If they didn't want to be murdered they shouldn't have been made out of delicious souls (and armor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sumadartson posted:

Does the crescent axe also come with hyper-armor? If not, that's a significant advantage of the great axe.

Move set is identical in every way including hyper armor. Crescent axe actually has a lot more range too, but because the ground pound is such a vital move I don't think anyone would use a crescent axe if they could also use a great axe. Crescent also has strikingly low usage requirements of 16 strength (really only 11 for a pvp oriented character because you'd only ever use it two handed...) and 12 dex (which a royal starts with).

Read posted:

Because :black101:

raton fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 13, 2011

• Locked thread