Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Roving Reporter posted:

If you plan to get a Masters, is it better to wait till your Post 9/11 is used up before switching to Rehab or should I switch this fall?

Basically, if I switch this fall, I don't know if Rehab will say "Sure...keep going all the way through your Masters" or if they will stop me once I'm done with my BS.

Maybe its better to use up Post 9/11, then apply?

You can apply for Voc Rehab and tell them that your goal is to get your Master's, because of <insert reasons why> and they will approve it.

For me, I plan on telling them that I'm done with my BS in December, my Post 9/11 time is used up about the same time, and I need them to get my MBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Vasudus posted:

You can apply for Voc Rehab and tell them that your goal is to get your Master's, because of <insert reasons why> and they will approve it.

For me, I plan on telling them that I'm done with my BS in December, my Post 9/11 time is used up about the same time, and I need them to get my MBA.

I'm curious because I've heard a few interesting things before, namely that the counselor controls your class schedule each semester precisely, you report in to them, etc. Also, I've heard of veterans being denied Voc Rehab due to their service connection "aggravating" their desired career choice(IE PTSD does not play well with others), or other reasons. I'm guessing it depends a lot on the individual counselor and veteran as well.

Any experiences/advice for Voc Rehab that you can expand on from the OP would be great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Spongebob Tampax is currently enrolled in Voc Rehab so he can hopefully explain his end of the deal. My interactions with Voc Rehab people on my end is basically people tell their Voc Rehab rep what it is they want to accomplish and why. If getting a Master's is necessary for that goal, so loving be it. Our Voc Rehab people don't care about what classes you're taking or why, so long as it is for the endgoal and you're making satisfactory academic progress.

I would imagine if you were trying to do something that runs counter to your disability you would meet at least some resistance. I haven't made my formal claim yet but I've spoken to my councilor and she asked if my PTSD was going to be a problem. I told her no and that was it, it never came up again.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
PBS Frontline is currently airing a pretty decent program on the glut of Post-9/11 GI Bill money going to for-profit colleges.

It's making me alternately :saddowns: and :mad:. According to the VA, vets who choose for-profit schools are only graduating at a 28% success rate, versus 56% at traditional schools. So many are getting hosed out of degrees when they're refused accommodations, or they need to switch schools and the credits won't transfer.

Here ya go:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/educating-sergeant-pantzke/

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
For-profit schools make me sick. Too many vets (or people in general) think that college is this mystical, impossible place that only kids that were way smarter than them in high school get to go to.

If you can rub enough brain cells together to properly fill out the paperwork, and have the willpower necessary, you will be successful in college. You might not be an academic superstar, but you can get your degree from a real place and not somewhere that isn't worth the paper the diploma is printed on.

Three years ago when I started school I had no idea that I would actually turn out to be a pretty good quantitative sociologist. Hell, I didn't even know what quantitative analysis was. Now I have two of my professors harassing me to go to graduate school and work under them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's now July and there is absolutely no guidance from the VA on how to get people Post 9/11 BAH when they are on Voc Rehab. It is supposed to be payable 1 August.

Welp.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The voc rehab process is pretty simple, and no, the counselor does not control your class schedule. They are sticklers for you meeting your goals, though.

The process takes a bit of time, a couple of months. Get an application from here:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-28-1900-ARE.pdf

Fill that out and send it in. After 3-6 weeks you'll get a call or letter for an appointment with a counselor. You'll need to watch a 30 minute video (complete snooze-fest) and take some computerized tests, then you'll discuss your options with the counselor. After that, you and the counselor will set some goals, discuss the nature of the benefits, and you'll get a heap of paperwork. You'll take said paperwork and go through the registration process at school, talk to the vet counselor there, and you'll have another VR&E rep appointment once that's all taken care of (mine was about 45 days after my initial appointment). From then on, you'll have one meeting per semester with your VR&E counselor, or at least a phone call. They will contact the vet rep at your school and the rest is taken care of by that person.

It's relatively painless compared to other poo poo through the VA. I sent my app to the VA in late February, had my first meeting at the end of March, second meeting in the second week of May, and started classes on May 31st.

E: And yeah, Vasudus, you're right about countering a disability. I was in a union electrician program and VR&E refused to do anything to help me with it since it would be on track with destroying my back (my disability). When I heard that and they said 'free college', I quit the electrician program the very next day and applied to the local comm college. Haven't looked back since.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 4, 2011

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

They came from the stars, they had electric flying cars!
back in 2007 I made an incredibly terrible attempt at college and I didn't finish the entire Semester. So I decided to enlist and now I am attempting to get a hold of the VA rep at my former school. Unfortunately the woman who answers the phone is the same woman who I tried to get help from 3 years ago When I tried setting up monthly payments during my boot leave for my college debt I had from that failed attempt. I still owe about 5000 dollars so I imagine that before I even enroll, in any school, I have to pay off the debt that I had from my prior attempt. I am not sure if you have encountered this situation, but I can also see the school seeing the Post 9/11 as guaranteed $$$ and would be willing to work something out with the prior debt. I can see this being wishful thinking as well as something that may work. Any thoughts on this situation?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kaleidoclops posted:

back in 2007 I made an incredibly terrible attempt at college and I didn't finish the entire Semester. So I decided to enlist and now I am attempting to get a hold of the VA rep at my former school. Unfortunately the woman who answers the phone is the same woman who I tried to get help from 3 years ago When I tried setting up monthly payments during my boot leave for my college debt I had from that failed attempt. I still owe about 5000 dollars so I imagine that before I even enroll, in any school, I have to pay off the debt that I had from my prior attempt. I am not sure if you have encountered this situation, but I can also see the school seeing the Post 9/11 as guaranteed $$$ and would be willing to work something out with the prior debt. I can see this being wishful thinking as well as something that may work. Any thoughts on this situation?

I have dealt with this sort of thing before, many times actually, and unfortunately there isn't a good solution. Vet or no, Post 9/11 or no, that debt has got to be cleared before any other school will accept you.

There is a possibility that you can work out some sort of deal with your school in regards to re-enrollment and paying off that debt. If you want to go to a different school, you're really in a bind and have to pay off that debt first. Under no circumstances should you lie to a new school, they will find out and the hammer they will drop is quite harsh.

My advice is to set up some sort of payment plan with them and get that debt cleared. Then you can take your transcripts and go somewhere else.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How picky, in your experience, are colleges on accepting credits to fulfill the transfer student reqs? I ask this because we have a guy who separated recently and he said that the college he applied to accepted only a handful of stuff from his transcripts.

Is this a budget thing? Like schools wanting to get more money from the GI Bill or something else entirely?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HeyEng posted:

How picky, in your experience, are colleges on accepting credits to fulfill the transfer student reqs? I ask this because we have a guy who separated recently and he said that the college he applied to accepted only a handful of stuff from his transcripts.

Is this a budget thing? Like schools wanting to get more money from the GI Bill or something else entirely?

99% of colleges won't give you credit for classes that they do not teach themselves. I have an electrical mechanic submariner type Pokemon that I finally was able to get transcripts to the registrar for. He would have gotten upwards of 24 credits in electrical engineering courses - if my school had an EE program.

The most credits often enough come from the Navy, apparently their schools translate to college classes easier. Good friend of mine graduated this past spring due to the fact that he came in with 63 credits from the goddamn Navy schools he attended. He's a big fat jerk and I remind him of this often.

The same applies for non-military schooling as well. If they don't teach it at all, you can pretty much forget it. If you think something that was denied is close enough to something taught there, hopefully you can present a catalog entry or a syllabus or something. Appeals to individual departments vs. the admissions office can make all the difference in the world sometimes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

99% of colleges won't give you credit for classes that they do not teach themselves. I have an electrical mechanic submariner type Pokemon that I finally was able to get transcripts to the registrar for. He would have gotten upwards of 24 credits in electrical engineering courses - if my school had an EE program.

The most credits often enough come from the Navy, apparently their schools translate to college classes easier. Good friend of mine graduated this past spring due to the fact that he came in with 63 credits from the goddamn Navy schools he attended. He's a big fat jerk and I remind him of this often.

The same applies for non-military schooling as well. If they don't teach it at all, you can pretty much forget it. If you think something that was denied is close enough to something taught there, hopefully you can present a catalog entry or a syllabus or something. Appeals to individual departments vs. the admissions office can make all the difference in the world sometimes.

So basically find out the degree program, knock out the gen ed courses listed, and then send those transcripts in?

Hey, man, thanks for answering these questions. It's much appreciated.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well, based on your non-guidance from the VA, I decided I'm going to wait till at least January to apply for Voc-Rehab.

My guess is that it will be like the Post-9/11 transition IE a shitstorm. :aaaaa:

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
60% Post 9/11 here, graduated last year.

-How do I find out how many months of benefits I still have leftover? Seems like an easy question but I could not get a straight answer from anyone.

-What are the rules regarding Post 9/11 and vocational schools? I'd like to take an EMT course which isn't attached to a college, will I run into trouble there?

Thanks.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

HeyEng posted:

So basically find out the degree program, knock out the gen ed courses listed, and then send those transcripts in?

Hey, man, thanks for answering these questions. It's much appreciated.

Send the transcripts in immediately, there is no telling what they will count and it's better to be aware sooner rather than later. My school counted ANOC as a graduate level management course for a guy before.

Roving Reporter posted:

Well, based on your non-guidance from the VA, I decided I'm going to wait till at least January to apply for Voc-Rehab.

My guess is that it will be like the Post-9/11 transition IE a shitstorm. :aaaaa:

Oh god, I hope not. The only reason I'm not worried as much is because I only have about three dozen Voc Rehabs to deal with, half of them qualify for Post 9/11 BAH. Unlike 2009, in which I had several hundred very angry vets switching to Post 9/11 from MGIB/REAP.

FooGoo posted:

60% Post 9/11 here, graduated last year.

-How do I find out how many months of benefits I still have leftover? Seems like an easy question but I could not get a straight answer from anyone.

-What are the rules regarding Post 9/11 and vocational schools? I'd like to take an EMT course which isn't attached to a college, will I run into trouble there?

Thanks.

You can either use the VA's 'Ask A Question' feature on their website (gibill.va.gov) or call them @ 1-888-442-4551.

As of October 1st the Post 9/11 bill will pay just about anything in the universe that is vaguely education related, to include EMT classes not at colleges.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
I applied for financial aid, and I know nothing of that process as I have only used my 9/11 bill so far, but I have been approved successfully. How do I receive pell grants? Just contact my school's financial aid office?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

I applied for financial aid, and I know nothing of that process as I have only used my 9/11 bill so far, but I have been approved successfully. How do I receive pell grants? Just contact my school's financial aid office?

Your school's office should contact you telling you that your aid package has been completed. You then (probably) go online and accept/decline the offers. You'll probably be paid in the first week of October.

Kaleidoclops
May 8, 2010

They came from the stars, they had electric flying cars!

Vasudus posted:

I have dealt with this sort of thing before, many times actually, and unfortunately there isn't a good solution. Vet or no, Post 9/11 or no, that debt has got to be cleared before any other school will accept you.

There is a possibility that you can work out some sort of deal with your school in regards to re-enrollment and paying off that debt. If you want to go to a different school, you're really in a bind and have to pay off that debt first. Under no circumstances should you lie to a new school, they will find out and the hammer they will drop is quite harsh.

My advice is to set up some sort of payment plan with them and get that debt cleared. Then you can take your transcripts and go somewhere else.

Thank you for the advice finding insight while on active duty is a rarity, now if i can just find a down day to work all this out.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I filled out my FAFSA for fall 2011 at community college and since last year I made $28k-ish I'm not eligible for any grants or whatever. I want to take out a low interest student loan so I can pay off my truck and motorcycle and not have any bills while I'm going to school.

First, is that even legal?

Second, do I go through my school to apply for a loan or do I have to apply with someone else?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

second best sponge posted:

I filled out my FAFSA for fall 2011 at community college and since last year I made $28k-ish I'm not eligible for any grants or whatever. I want to take out a low interest student loan so I can pay off my truck and motorcycle and not have any bills while I'm going to school.

First, is that even legal?

Second, do I go through my school to apply for a loan or do I have to apply with someone else?

Yeah FAFSA is bullshit if you aren't dirt poor (on paper) for the previous fiscal year. They tried to tell a friend of mine who has a combined household income of 76k that he has 25k disposable income he can spend towards school. This guy has a wife, three kids, a house and two cars. It would be lucky if he had 25 bucks of disposable income after that.

Your loans are issued by the federal government more than likely, you can get loans from other institutions if you wanted.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yo Vasudus my dad just got 100% disability for his Parkinson's from the VA and they sent him some thing basically stating that I could go to school on some Disabled Vets Dependents Education Program or some poo poo which gives the GI Bill equivalent until I'm like 31 or something what up with that?

edit; you guys can start calling me dr. rrail

Rrail fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 8, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
paging dr. human being

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
whats the situation my beeper went off

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rrail posted:

Yo Vasudus my dad just got 100% disability for his Parkinson's from the VA and they sent him some thing basically stating that I could go to school on some Disabled Vets Dependents Education Program or some poo poo which gives the GI Bill equivalent until I'm like 31 or something what up with that?

That would be Chapter 35, Survivors & Dependents Educational Assistance.

http://gibill.va.gov/benefits/other_programs/dea.html

You get paid 936/mo to go to school full time, for 36 benefit months. If you use that in conjunction with say, a tuition waiver from a state school, you can probably get a BA/BS on your dad's time and save yours for something like grad school or whatever. The payout isn't nearly as good, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It just so happens I get a tuition waiver in this state. Will there ever be a time when the free government money ends? Can I just suck the government teat for the rest of my life? I'm losing all ambition over here, my grip on my bootstraps is gettin' weak.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rrail posted:

It just so happens I get a tuition waiver in this state. Will there ever be a time when the free government money ends? Can I just suck the government teat for the rest of my life? I'm losing all ambition over here, my grip on my bootstraps is gettin' weak.

Not likely.

Most money to you immediately, least amount of work: Use your CH33 (Post 9/11) and get your bachelors. Spend the remaining time on probably a semester of grad school. Switch to CH35 when your CH33 runs out.

Smartest plan if you KNOW you're doing grad school: Use CH35/tuition waiver for about 12 benefit months of 35. Switch to 33 when you're probably in your second year of school, and ride 33 out the rest of the way to the end of grad school.

Remember you can only get a maximum of 48 months from any combination of bills, so it's better to use the full 36 of Post 9/11 for maximum payout. If you absolutely positively plan on going to grad school you have the rather rare opportunity to save quite a bit of money by using a bit of the CH35 and saving CH33 till the end.

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently got out of the military, filled out the 22-1990, and applied to a college in my city. How long is the wait time to stat getting your monies from when you first get accepted?

And another quick question: any FL goons have trouble getting their unemployment? i havent gotten a single cent from either my disability, unemployment, and now I'm worried the GI bill is gonna take forever. My savings are dwindling.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

t_bright posted:

I recently got out of the military, filled out the 22-1990, and applied to a college in my city. How long is the wait time to stat getting your monies from when you first get accepted?

And another quick question: any FL goons have trouble getting their unemployment? i havent gotten a single cent from either my disability, unemployment, and now I'm worried the GI bill is gonna take forever. My savings are dwindling.

Filling out a 22-1990 vs. doing it online takes about the same time. You should get a certificate of eligibility somewhere between 2 to 4 weeks. Your GI Bill payments will start the end of the first month you start school, ie: end of September.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Rrail posted:

Be careful about counting on that. Most veteran dependent programs are contingent upon permanent total service-connected disability. Generally, Parkinson's isn't considered service-connected unless:
    1. Symptoms were documented during or soon after military service.
    or
    2. The veteran was exposed to Agent Orange.

Otherwise, it is usually considered non-service-connected and dependents aren't eligible for poo poo.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I read this thread to the best of my ability. Screen brightness is on its lowest possible setting and I'm running on very low battery power (my cheap Bahrain plug converter broke earlier).

My family lives close to a community college, and there are two good universities about an hour away. Could I live with them and collect the E5 BAH stipend pay, or do I need to provide documentation to someone claiming that I'm living at an apartment nearby college? I'd really like to save and apply that money to get my master's degree.

After reading this thread, I'd really like to go to college out of state. I like home, Indiana, but going to college somewhere else especially if they offer better programs or something better. Just living in another state would be awesome. Anyone have any experience with that?

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Mad Pino Rage posted:

I read this thread to the best of my ability. Screen brightness is on its lowest possible setting and I'm running on very low battery power (my cheap Bahrain plug converter broke earlier).

My family lives close to a community college, and there are two good universities about an hour away. Could I live with them and collect the E5 BAH stipend pay, or do I need to provide documentation to someone claiming that I'm living at an apartment nearby college? I'd really like to save and apply that money to get my master's degree.

After reading this thread, I'd really like to go to college out of state. I like home, Indiana, but going to college somewhere else especially if they offer better programs or something better. Just living in another state would be awesome. Anyone have any experience with that?

You can live where ever you want, the BAH is based on the zipcode of the school you attend and not where you physically live. An hour each way to school might get really old really fast though so keep that in mind.

I moved to Michigan for school after my last deployment and I'm very happy with the choice. The only problem you might face is you'll be considered an out of state student for your first year which could be pretty costly depending on the school. Some states and some individual schools have residency waivers for veterans so that's one way to work around that.

I did my first year at a community college without using my GI Bill so I could save that year for a graduate degree. Community college is generally cheap as gently caress and you might be able to cover it just on grants/a part time job especially if you're living at home. ymmv of course.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've got vets from all over the country that somehow end up in my school. Yellow Ribbon as of I think 1 August will cover out of school tuition fully, so there is literally nothing stopping you from going to school somewhere else if you're 100%. Honestly the only reason I'm back in CT for school was because Post 9/11 wasn't out yet and I couldn't swing it. I would totally have gone somewhere else.

And yeah, BAH is paid to the school's zip.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Axolotl posted:

Be careful about counting on that. Most veteran dependent programs are contingent upon permanent total service-connected disability. Generally, Parkinson's isn't considered service-connected unless:
    1. Symptoms were documented during or soon after military service.
    or
    2. The veteran was exposed to Agent Orange.

Otherwise, it is usually considered non-service-connected and dependents aren't eligible for poo poo.

Yah he got it from Agent Orange exposure.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Anyone know how the VA scores hybrid classes? Want to sign up for one this fall (in class and online workload) but I don't want to be shorted on BAH.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Anyone know how the VA scores hybrid classes? Want to sign up for one this fall (in class and online workload) but I don't want to be shorted on BAH.

Should be listed as being brick and mortar, so long as you have to go to campus at some point on a regular schedule.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Are you shooting for full time?

It should be okay. My rep said it was last semester but I didn't wind up taking the class so I don't for sure.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you haven't taken CLEP tests yet, for god's sake do so. I've already knocked out Microeconomics and CIS, going to hit Macroeconomics and English Lit next. That's an entire loving semester gone for 77 bucks a test (which the VA reimburses), a couple of weeks of cramming, and a 100 question test.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
CLEP tests and DANTES tests own so loving hard.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

GD_American posted:

If you haven't taken CLEP tests yet, for god's sake do so. I've already knocked out Microeconomics and CIS, going to hit Macroeconomics and English Lit next. That's an entire loving semester gone for 77 bucks a test (which the VA reimburses), a couple of weeks of cramming, and a 100 question test.

Half of my gen ed classes got knocked out during my last deployment with these. Still free for active duty the first time you take one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

GD_American posted:

Holy Christ, thank you for this. I just found out I can knock out my Fall/Winter/Spring 3 class sequences for both Calculus and Chemistry. Six less mentally taxing courses to murder my GPA with only two exams!

Awesome!

• Locked thread