Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Copper Vein posted:

I've got a X-45 and X-52 Pro, and have used them both in MW4. They were certainly cool enough, but I always felt like I'd do better with a mouse and keyboard due to the increased aiming precision. I had intended to use the X-52 Pro in a good lite flight sim or space combat game but I never got around to it.

I honestly don't remember what I bought the 52 for and I only used it for like a week, but if you had a question about a specific functionality, it shouldn't be a problem for me to field it as it is still handy. My biggest complaint with both sticks is that the spring tension is looser than I like, but I bet the 36 was the same so you probably know that.
In my vast collection of 16-bit carts and vaster collection of 16-bit roms I have never come across a beat-em-up as lovely as this.

Oh god, look at that trailer. The movie effects are pretty cool, then you get to the gameplay.

:gonk:

There are at least, like, three fangames out there that don't look nearly as horribly bad as that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So, people on Mumble are getting pretty sick of hearing my hideous voice pumped through the in-built mic on my microsoft lifecam. Can anyone recommend a decent headset? Preferably something priced on the sensible side of things, I can't really afford a gold-plated sennheiser wireless surround whatever

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Buy this excellent little mic and stick it onto the cord of your headphones of choice: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Microphone-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310497408&sr=8-1

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just a reminder of why you should clean out your fans: I noticed my CPU was hitting about 63C playing Splinter Cell Conviction so I cleaned out mine on my cooler, GPU and all four on my case. Now I'm maxing at 47C even playing DX10 games with Chrome open in the background. Keeps everything smoother and even my room cooler.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I seriously doubt your room is cooler, given that your CPU is emitting the exact same amount of heat and the difference is that now more of it gets blown out quickly instead of simmering in the heatsink.

But you are right about the importance of fan cleaning.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

I seriously doubt your room is cooler, given that your CPU is emitting the exact same amount of heat and the difference is that now more of it gets blown out quickly instead of simmering in the heatsink.

But you are right about the importance of fan cleaning.

Eh, maybe that was just me putting it somewhere else once I brought it back in the room after cleaning it then.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

I honestly don't remember what I bought the 52 for and I only used it for like a week,

Give it to me so I can save at least $90

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

So, people on Mumble are getting pretty sick of hearing my hideous voice pumped through the in-built mic on my microsoft lifecam. Can anyone recommend a decent headset? Preferably something priced on the sensible side of things, I can't really afford a gold-plated sennheiser wireless surround whatever

Rename thread to PC Gaming: Don't Buy a Headset

thanks

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Since we're talking headsets, I have a question.

Sometimes I want to use a 360 pad and headset and have the VoIP only come through the headset. But other times I have to use headphones so I want the VoIP to come through my receiver and Sennheiser gold-plated whatevers with the rest of the audio.

How do I manage where the VoIP goes in Win 7? I don't want to get a USB headset, my headphones sound too good coming through my receiver.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Copper Vein posted:

I've got a X-45 and X-52 Pro, and have used them both in MW4. They were certainly cool enough, but I always felt like I'd do better with a mouse and keyboard due to the increased aiming precision. I had intended to use the X-52 Pro in a good lite flight sim or space combat game but I never got around to it.

I honestly don't remember what I bought the 52 for and I only used it for like a week, but if you had a question about a specific functionality, it shouldn't be a problem for me to field it as it is still handy. My biggest complaint with both sticks is that the spring tension is looser than I like, but I bet the 36 was the same so you probably know that.

Thanks mate. I've beaten MW4 and FS2 enough times using more sensible kit so I think it'd be fun to blow them them once more with something that just feels awesome. I do remember them being a little bit spongy, as you say, but that was ok. There's nothing in particular I wanted to ask really, just did it FEEL right when you were playing MW4? I remember using stick to control turning and pitch, throttle for speed and whatever you'd describe the control that sits underneath the throttle for controlling the torso twist. Worked pretty well, as I recall, but yeah, you lose some precision to a mouse.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I used the stick for all torso movement, on-throttle rudder for chassis heading, and throttle for throttle. Don't think I used the twist for anything.

It was neat to play it that way, but it clearly wasn't optimal. The full config gets really complicated with stuff mapped all over the stuck and throttle and is difficult to make intuitive. Lots of times I would just choke in combat trying to remember where my coolant flush button is or how to manipulate the throttle hat to command lancemates. But it was my own config and you may fair better.

Reminded me of playing the very early full cockpit Battletech arcade game in the early nineties, with the intro with John Belushi warning me not to mess up his mechs.

I felt that Steel Battalion was easier to control with it's setup, but then that game moves a lot slower than MW4.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I do remember Freespace 2 being really, REALLY satisfying with the X-36. Especially the occasions where slamming the throttle open and hitting the big red thumb button to use the afterburner were necessary. And the flip-down LAUNCH button was also good fun.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Forgive me for posting out of the blue... but the OP should talk about stuff like GameRanger because it makes playing old gems really easy. Even though most assumed it's online support has been dead.

May I recommend Age of Empires 2, C&C Generals, and Stronghold Crusader to the OP also? Or is it just games you can find on DD sites?

Scott Kevill
Dec 13, 2010

Shogunner posted:

Forgive me for posting out of the blue... but the OP should talk about stuff like GameRanger because it makes playing old gems really easy. Even though most assumed it's online support has been dead.

Hey, thanks for the mention. :) Yes, I've been working hard to keep these games alive.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shogunner posted:

May I recommend Age of Empires 2, C&C Generals, and Stronghold Crusader to the OP also? Or is it just games you can find on DD sites?

Scott Kevill posted:

Hey, thanks for the mention. :) Yes, I've been working hard to keep these games alive.

Viral marketing!! :cry: No seriously, this program looks nice potentially. Is this like Hamachi but more streamlined? If a friend and I wanted to play Diablo, but not on battle.net, we'd connect by using LAN while logged onto gameranger?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
GameRanger was bloody amazing when Demigod hit retail with that terrible P2P networking system. It was the only way to play it without dropouts and horrific lag for a long time there. :v:

Edit: I notice GRID is on there too since the official servers were shut down. Great job! :)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 13, 2011

Scott Kevill
Dec 13, 2010

Node posted:

Viral marketing!! :cry: No seriously, this program looks nice potentially. Is this like Hamachi but more streamlined? If a friend and I wanted to play Diablo, but not on battle.net, we'd connect by using LAN while logged onto gameranger?

Much more streamlined. Hamachi wasn't designed for gaming at all. For example, GameRanger adds custom support for each game to automate the hosting and joining, to get you into the game as quickly as possible for a consistent experience regardless of which game you are playing. With Hamachi, you're kind of on your own to fumble around through the menus.

GameRanger also doesn't expose your system and put it at risk like Hamachi and other VPNs do, since it only transports the networking of the game itself. GameRanger's support for problematic routers and firewalls is also much better.

~Coxy posted:

GameRanger was bloody amazing when Demigod hit retail with that terrible P2P networking system. It was the only way to play it without dropouts and horrific lag for a long time there. :v:

I was just reading the Demigod forums today. For the few that still play it, apparently the game still has serious lag and dropouts without GameRanger.

quote:

Edit: I notice GRID is on there too since the official servers were shut down. Great job! :)

Thanks, yeah, and even today EA announced server shutdowns for a bunch of games as well (fortunately I added Need for Speed: Most Wanted back in April and there's already around 5,000 multiplayer games of it being played each day).

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

When Borderlands was first released and I couldn't join a game or host a game and have others join it until I used GameRanger. Gamespy :argh:

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
When me and my little brother play Borderlands over our actual LAN, he disconnects when loading into an area occasionally. Is this something that GameRanger would fix?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I just made a GameRanger account and, wow, 45,000 people online right now. I didn't know it was this popular. Pretty sweet.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Node posted:

You can play something with dead online support like C&C Generals Zero Hour by popping into a created room with your mates on gameranger, having them all ready up, hitting play, and sitting back and watching as GameRanger clicks on the buttons for you. Before you know it, you're all in a room together.

Usually the game only pops up for the non-hosts once the host as made a lobby in-game. Sometimes it makes the lobby for you though. Basically, it varies per game, but, it's really not hard to figure out.

I seriously can't believe I only figured out about it this year. It's one of the best programs to have without a doubt.

/viral marketing

Mr Right posted:

When me and my little brother play Borderlands over our actual LAN, he disconnects when loading into an area occasionally. Is this something that GameRanger would fix?

Not really sure about this. You still all connect with your internet, not some magical GameRanger server. It usually works for my e-buds who vary from Australia to Italy, so as along as your internet isn't 56k then you're usually fine. Just give it a shot.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
How is the HD Audio on Nvidia video cards? I was thinking of hooking up my GTX460 to my monitor via HDMI and run my headphones from the headphone port on my monitor.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Dude, even on-board audio these days is great. I'm sure it'll be perfect.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

The onboard audio is good but I was just wondering if the HD Audio on the GTX460 would be better in any way.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

spasticColon posted:

How is the HD Audio on Nvidia video cards? I was thinking of hooking up my GTX460 to my monitor via HDMI and run my headphones from the headphone port on my monitor.

I don't know about Nvidia cards, but my ATI sends audio via HDMI. You might not need the 1/8" audio connection.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

spasticColon posted:

The onboard audio is good but I was just wondering if the HD Audio on the GTX460 would be better in any way.
The 460 isn't really doing anything that's likely to effect audio quality - in the setup you describe the DAC is in your monitor. It's hard to say which is better because onboard audio *can* vary a lot, but I'm guessing it's likely to be better than whatever your monitor has.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I don't think it'd do anything. I remember doing the same with my 360, and the audio sounded terrible. Why not just use the 3.5mm on your PC?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New PC game from new Polish studio. Hard Reset is an FPS set in a cyber punk world reminiscent of Blade Runner, as the developers would have us believe. You'll be fighting robots, though despite claims of hard sci fi, the robots from the concept art look chunky, clunky and mechanically impractical if at all operational (original article says "dark sci fi", RPS misquoted). The few screens hardly provide enough to get an impression of the quality of the game. It runs on their own engine, though.

Noteworthy if for nothing else than the combined pedigree of its staff, the studio - Flying Wild Hog - is composed of veterans of CD Projekt RED (Witcher series), People Can Fly (Painkiller, Bulletstorm) and City Interactive (purveyor of all sorts of shovelware crap, like that recent Sniper game...). Here's hoping.

Oh and they plan to release September this year.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 14, 2011

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Rinkles posted:

my credit card is in my hand where do i type the numbers

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

New PC game from new Polish studio. Hard Reset is an FPS set in a cyber punk world reminiscent of Blade Runner, as the developers would have us believe. You'll be fighting robots, though despite claims of hard sci fi, the robots from the concept art look chunky, clunky and mechanically impractical if at all operational (original article says "dark sci fi", RPS misquoted). The few screens hardly provide enough to get an impression of the quality of the game. It runs on their own engine, though.

Noteworthy if for nothing else than the combined pedigree of its staff, the studio - Flying Wild Hog - is composed of veterans of CD Projekt RED (Witcher series), People Can Fly (Painkiller, Bulletstorm) and City Interactive (purveyor of all sorts of shovelware crap, like that recent Sniper game...). Here's hoping.

So we get Deus Ex and then a month later we get this as well? It's a good year for liking cyberpunk stuff.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Fil5000 posted:

So we get Deus Ex and then a month later we get this as well? It's a good year for liking cyberpunk stuff.

There's also Prey 2, although I don't know how cyberpunky it is.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hard Reset is releasing in September, a mere two months from now (assuming mid-September). Is this a new thing with late game announcements? I know Nintendo has done a few, but Flying Wild Hog kept this well under wraps. I guess it would be easier being in Poland than the typical California.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Amrosorma posted:

There's also Prey 2, although I don't know how cyberpunky it is.

Very, actually. You can see by screenshots and videos that the settings is clearly inspired by Blade Runner and similar works, as is the whole bounty hunter aspect.

That said, cyberpunk tends to be set in a futuristic Earth or Earth-like planet, while Prey 2 is set in an alien planet with little human life to be seen.

Dudebro posted:

Hard Reset is releasing in September, a mere two months from now (assuming mid-September). Is this a new thing with late game announcements? I know Nintendo has done a few, but Flying Wild Hog kept this well under wraps. I guess it would be easier being in Poland than the typical California.

Not new, but not common either. I think other recent/upcoming releases where this occurred are Runespell: Overtune (announced just a bit less than 3 months prior to its release) and many 1C games.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 14, 2011

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Liberatore posted:

Very, actually. You can see by screenshots and videos that the settings is clearly inspired by Blade Runner and similar works, as is the whole bounty hunter aspect.

That said, cyberpunk tends to be set in a futuristic Earth or Earth-like planet, while Prey 2 is set in an alien planet with little human life to be seen.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'm not very well read on the topic :shobon:

It looks like a mix of Blade Runner and Boba Fett running around Coruscant :swoon:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Amrosorma posted:

It looks like a mix of Blade Runner and Boba Fett running around Coruscant :swoon:

I thought the exact same thing. Hell, if you're gonna make a cyberpunk bounty hunter game, where to take inspiration if not the cyberpunk aspects of Star Wars?

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 14, 2011

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dudebro posted:

This is probably what happens when you can't/won't spend a billion zillion dollars in marketing - you build up some cheap hype with some trailers and announcements close to release.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

Since we're talking headsets, I have a question.

Sometimes I want to use a 360 pad and headset and have the VoIP only come through the headset. But other times I have to use headphones so I want the VoIP to come through my receiver and Sennheiser gold-plated whatevers with the rest of the audio.

How do I manage where the VoIP goes in Win 7? I don't want to get a USB headset, my headphones sound too good coming through my receiver.

You should be able to manage this with whatever VOIP program you're using, not any specific win7 set of options.

Generally you should have something labelled "output device"/"speakers" or something similar.

In the case of Skype it's under "Tools" > "Options" > "Audio settings" and you'll have drop-down menus with your audio devices, pick whichever is what you're aiming for.

In the case of Ventrilo it's in "Setup" on the "Voice" tab, again a case of drop-down menus.

And for Mumble it's "Configure" > "Settings" > check the "Advanced" box at the bottom-left of the window and you'll now have "Audio Input" and "Audio Output" show up, you can specify the relevant devices from there.

If I remember correctly the 360 headset should show up as it's own device.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
I just threw up a thread about Hard Reset, the just-announced cyberpunk FPS from a bunch of awesome Polish developers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Amrosorma posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I'm not very well read on the topic :shobon:

Prey 2 looks way better than the sequel to Prey has any right to. It's like a cyberpunk first person assassin's creed. I'm pretty excited for it.

As for other cyberpunk games, don't forget about Dishonored! It's a first person assassination game set in a City 17-esque world (created by the artist responsible for City 17 in HL2), co-designed by the lead designer of Deus Ex, made by Arkane who previous made Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. We don't know anything about the game really, but the premise and pedigree are good enough to have me cautiously excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is Metro 2033 worth $20? I've been wanting that game for a while now and my i5-2500K and GTX460 like pain.

• Locked thread