Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Dauntasa posted:

Ha, Tifa doing meteodrive on the Zolom looks completely retarded.

It's why I love Tifa's limit-break chain so much. She can piledrive/suplex/whatever-it-is ANYTHING. It looks rediculous and it's always funny to see her pick up these massive dangerous things while they just hold absolutely still while she smashes their skulls against the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Elentor posted:

Next update I'm letting you guys pick up my party because honestly I can't decide. So many different ways of breaking the game with each and every one of them.

Cloud, Yuffie, whoever

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.

Elentor posted:

Next update I'm letting you guys pick up my party because honestly I can't decide. So many different ways of breaking the game with each and every one of them.

Well, Tifa has to stay because I like Meteodrive too much.

So... Cloud, Tifa, Aeris to show off her massive overpowered limit breaks.
Then when Aeris becomes unavailable; Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Voting Barret and Aeris. The party is in desperate need of more machine-gun arms and sensible ladies.

So...FFVII was the first game I ever bought for the Playstation. I was young and stupid and I didn't know poo poo about memory cards, and most of the games I'd played up until that point had been fighting games or silly little short platformers. The idea of a save feature was utterly alien to me, to the point that my mind just sort of skipped the explanation in sector seven and anything I read in the booklet. I didn't even have a memory card, because I thought the Playstation was just going to do everything for me.

The first time I played this thing I got all the way out of Midgar, saw the Sephiroth flashback sequence (and thought it was awesome), and then two minutes after that wrapped up I ran into the Zolom and died. Hello title screen!

I couldn't even be mad at myself. I just sort of wandered around my house in shock for a few hours.

The next day I snagged a memory card and then I did it right. Dumb as hell I may have been, but I was loving tenacious.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 14, 2011

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
I always kept the old slum gang together when possible. Me, Barrett and Tifa keeping the spirit of a Avalanche alive...

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Definitely team FFX-2. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 14, 2011

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Honestly I still find the Midgar Serpent that Sephy killed more impressive than yours. Yours was a very prepared, very exact fight that you still only barely won with three people. Sephy probably didn't know about the snake and managed to not only kill it, but carry it to dry land and impale it on a tree BY HIMSELF.

Also: Cloud, Red XIII, and Barret; AKA Team Sausagefest.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I vote you show off the ways to break the game with all the characters. So if you get new ones, show them off! I'm already assuming you will be showing us all the max level limit breaks.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I vote you show off the ways to break the game with all the characters. So if you get new ones, show them off! I'm already assuming you will be showing us all the max level limit breaks.

Definitely this. New party every update, starting with Barret and upcoming character. Switching Materia around is easy enough that there's no reason this can't be done

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

kalonZombie posted:

Sephy

Get ooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Also I have An Opinion about party makeup but it won't matter for a while, so for now go with whoever gives you the funniest dialogue in the next few scenes. That's the key!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Desumaytah posted:

Voting Barret and Aeris. The party is in desperate need of more machine-gun arms and sensible ladies.

Seconding this vote, but show off any new party members when you get them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Psion posted:

Get ooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

His name is too drat long. I don't even LIKE the character.

My point is: no.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Gotta go with this. Talking dog AND Mr. T? How can you not use this team?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Elentor posted:

It's not like we didn't just completely destroy one of those.

Yeah, but you didn't mount its head on a loving stick on your front lawn.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

dumb brunette posted:

Definitely team FFX-2. Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris.

Then Cloud, Tifa, and Yuffie when you can't do that anymore.
This.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
Cloud should hang with Barret and next party member.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Aeris and Yuffie.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Elentor posted:

Look, I'm no expert in holding guns, but there's something very wrong with this image here. Paging TFR:

Not a TFR poster but..

The whole index finger on the frame, middle finger on the trigger thing seems to be a character quirk given to Elena in the EU. However, it's entirely feasible. The RL technique is called "Point Shooting." It's a method for aiming and firing when you don't have the time or visibility to utilize sights. The theory behind it is about how the brain recognizes positioning with the fingers naturally, so you're literally shooting at whatever you happen to be pointing at.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
As long as we all agree that Cait Sith can go gently caress itself

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I vote for Red and our next character.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Yeah, but you didn't mount its head on a loving stick on your front lawn.

We did supplex it though :v:

Skaw posted:

Not a TFR poster but..

The whole index finger on the frame, middle finger on the trigger thing seems to be a character quirk given to Elena in the EU. However, it's entirely feasible. The RL technique is called "Point Shooting." It's a method for aiming and firing when you don't have the time or visibility to utilize sights. The theory behind it is about how the brain recognizes positioning with the fingers naturally, so you're literally shooting at whatever you happen to be pointing at.

That's VERY interesting, thank you. I was never gonna guess.

kalonZombie posted:

Honestly I still find the Midgar Serpent that Sephy killed more impressive than yours. Yours was a very prepared, very exact fight that you still only barely won with three people. Sephy probably didn't know about the snake and managed to not only kill it, but carry it to dry land and impale it on a tree BY HIMSELF.

I think I already killed her six times in this update :v:. I forgot about Chocobuckle so I had to come back and she spawned and caught me twice on the way back. I tend to show off prepared and exact fights because, at least to me, they're very entertaining, to see how tight you can pull off stuff. Beside there's already a buttload of videos of these bosses being beaten on the Internet so I'm trying to be creative.

KoopaPoopa posted:

Hi Elentor, I'm really enjoying reading this thread, you have an excellent writing style. I'm amazed at all the things I missed when I played this all those years ago, just hacking and healing my way through.

I've bought a PSP, and gotten a US copy of the game to play on it because of this thread. The difference is incredible, I booted my cds up just to check it wasn't my bad memory but it's seems to have suffered the full 17.5% PAL conversion slowdown and squished aspect ratio.

That's heart-warming, thank you!

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm not saying it wasn't impressive, I'm just saying Sephiroth's kill is still pretty awesome. Also, I love what you're doing with the boss fights. I've never seen many of these bosses killed before their gimmicks are shown (except air buster because, seriously, easiest boss in the game). Wondering how much longer you can keep it up though.

iLurk
Jul 25, 2007

Who wants to get PREGNANT?!?
Cloud, Yuffie, Red

You then replace Red with Cid.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Cloud, Aeris, Barret for maximum multiculturalism. :japan:

Red doesn't count because he is a dog... cat... thing.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

I'd just show 'em all, switch up your party when you get bored. Especially Aeris. Nobody really uses Aeris. I guess it's 10 times easier to just hold attack until the battle's over and that's not really her thing, man.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Eventually, use Cloud, Barret, and Cid for team multi-hit.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Saradiart posted:

This is the most :spergin: and rapetastic team possible. Still, I vote for Red XII and Yuffie as the main teammates for the next update since they are they are the second most useless characters in a fight in the game. Might as well show them off.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Xaiter posted:

Yuffie [...] most useless characters in a fight in the game.

So wrong.

My vote's for Barret and Yuffie and Cloud + Long Range Materia for Team Back Row. Because it totally makes sense that characters in the back row should take less damage when there is no front row.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Saradiart posted:

Clearly you have never seen Yuffie's later limit breaks.

That said, Cloud, Aeris and Yuffie.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dpbjinc posted:

Red doesn't count because he is a dog... cat... thing.

Speciesist. :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xaiter posted:

This is the most :spergin: and rapetastic team possible. Still, I vote for Red XII and Yuffie as the main teammates for the next update since they are they are the second most useless characters in a fight in the game. Might as well show them off.

What? Yuffie is arguably the best character in combat in the game for a wide variety of reasons.

MC Jigsaw
Aug 1, 2008

Monocles are the staple eyewear of villainy.

Xaiter posted:

Yuffie[...] most useless characters in a fight in the game.

Also going to point out that this is very, very incorrect.

I'd rather you show off each character's potential and demonstrate that this game can be easily broken with any party combination.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Cloud, Tifa, Aeris

Swap Tifa with Yuffie once you get her

Swap Aeris with Cid after the second Jenova fight

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
For the party, I'd like to see the same party I used during my most recent playthrough: Cloud, Barret, and Tifa.

Our upcoming character was always useful to me because she uses a long-range weapon. Way back when I played this for the first time, I put the Long Range materia on Cloud and put all those characters in the back row. It was a pretty sneaky way to make those physical enemies much easier.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Wait, really? I thought Yuffie's multi-hit limit hit only 8-10 times and Barret's Ungarmax hit like 16 times. By end game, number of hits is really the only thing that matters.

Unless you're talking about Conformer?

EDIT: Hell, the only character I see worse than Yuffie is Red XII. The OTHER character at least gets an ultimate weapon that can instant-kill anything in the game thanks to a damage overflow bug.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 14, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Cloud, Cid, Yuffie

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
For now, Cloud, Barrett and Yuffie.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Xaiter posted:

Wait, really? I thought whoops! multi-hit limit hit only 8-10 times and Barret's Ungarmax hit like 16 times. By end game, number of hits is really the only thing that matters.

The next character's has a tier 3 limit which hits 15 times, whereas Barret and the last character we'll get both have a limit that can hit 18 times. This means team multi-hit has the ability to dish out the most possible damage from three single moves. However, due to that thing you mentioned, the next character we'll be getting is almost necessary to do any serious endgame statgain farming, and isn't really all that bad anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Elephantgun posted:

I'd just show 'em all, switch up your party when you get bored. Especially Aeris. Nobody really uses Aeris. I guess it's 10 times easier to just hold attack until the battle's over and that's not really her thing, man.

I agree with this. Elentor, this game is utterly your bitch so far, and honestly your party matters very little until you get toward the end. Just use whoever you feel like at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cloud, Barret, Yuffie. Replacing Barret with Cid when we get him.

• Locked thread